Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #406  

Height: 5'3"

Instead of going out to get my hair and nails done I started posting comments to my children on old pics. I have a family group on FB where I post things pics and comments for my children and grandchildren to learn about our families. So 1/2 my morning is now gone without me doing anything else. The good news is I was down another 1/2 # this morning. Yesterday I ate pretty well except I got hungry late after noon and ate 3 sl of my lower carb/calories bread with Smart Balance. I also ate 3 small caramels twice...once in afternoon and once in evening, but at least they were all pretty light things. I didn't eat dinner as I didn't like what I made and made a high protein mocha instead. Guess it worked out ok, but I know I have to be careful all the time.

Our son came over for wood and brought one of the gk. I gave her the gifts from our trip for the children and their mail. She was pleased with the shirt I bought her. While they were here I was outside with them picking tomatoes and green peppers and slipped in some loose dirt and bark dust and it seemed like I kept falling, I couldn't break my fall. I yelled so I wouldn't fall on her and asked dh to help me up. Falling was the easy part, getting up was the hard part! I wasn't hurt just felt a little scraped but when I looked there were not even any scrapes and today I am not sore at all. That was my second fall in the past 1.5 years though, but neither time was hurt. My after trip soreness has disappeared too and the cramps with it, so thankful for that, but my left leg has been hurting some probably from that arthritic hip I think. That may have also partly caused my fall.

Halo asked to go out about 2 am and she stayed out for more than 30 min. We can't let her bark so have to stay alert..so our sleep was not good but I did sleep this morning and don't remember dh leaving to go fishing. In fact this morning I was talking to him and then realized he wasn't there. I do remember Halo coming in and banging her paws on my side of the bed though at some point. Our bed is too high for her so hope she never tries to jump but she will bang her paws against it.
I told her to go back to bed and I guess she did.

Carol - Hows the cPap thing coming along? Hope you are finding comfortable sleeping. My dil has tried to change her mail SO many times but we still get it and they were getting ours not sure about that lately. One problem is they have moved three times since they left out house, and also moved back in and then out again recently. The mails has been screwed up from the very beginning though. I also went with her to straighten it out once and they said it would be ok then but it has not. When I get some time I will try again on my own. Our younger son took care of the dog while we were gone since it was so long (17 days).

Last edited by maryea; 09-27-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #407  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, I don't understand how their mail could come to you if it has their address on it, unless you live very close to each other.

I am doing OK with the CPap. I thought the new mask wasn't working so I tried to use the old mask a couple times but hated it, so I guess I'm getting used to the new one. It slips around sometimes, but overall, it's good. I would really prefer not to need it at all. I can't remember what it feels like to sleep without it.

I was having a lot of back pain when I laid down but that has let up. Just a little achy sometimes, not actually pain. I have started eating Kale again. I bought some frozen kale, and I put a sprinkling of it in when I cook my scrambled eggs. It seems that every time I go back to eating Kale my pain lets up. That's what happened when I was having all that shoulder/arm pain. Most people tell me that it's a coincidence, but it has happened so many times I have a hard time believing it isn't doing something. Maybe there is something in the kale that I am lacking. Nothing online says that kale relieves pain. I have tried collard greens and mustard greens with no results. Just the kale. I quit buying it because when I bought the fresh kale I couldn't use it fast enough and it would go bad. I am going to continue to buy the frozen kale.

I have started to take better care of my daily appearance. Even if I'm just staying home, I am fixing my hair and putting make up on, and I'm even wearing my Spanx, which I usually only wear when I get dressed up to go somewhere. It is making me feel better about myself. I notice since I've retired I haven't been doing these things.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #408  

Carol we are still getting their mail from when they lived with us the first time. They then moved out to a couple houses and even though she tried to get the mail changed several times it continued to come here and even some of our mail goes to them. Then they moved back in with us for three months. And now they are in their own place and she again tried to get it straightened out and felt for sure they had it right but we continue to get their mail. I don't think they are getting as much of our mail now but they do now and then. When I can find time I will try to do get it straightened out myself. I did go with her once but it still didn't work.

Glad you are adjusting to your new mask. I wish you didn't need it but glad you have adjusted. Glad the kale is helping you. Guess I should try it but so far I haven't liked the taste.

Hoping to finally get my nails done and maybe my hair cut...also want to shop for glasses today. Been waiting for dh to get off the phone so I can get my breakfast (I use a loud blender), hate to ask him to move into another room but I'd like to get my day started. Hopefully he's about done. Yesterday we shopped at Costco and and Winco. Didn't have much to buy but still spent almost a $100 at Costco! Amazing how easy it is to do.

Chrome is giving me trouble so I'll stop now...you all have a good day.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #409  

Mary, it sounds like they are forwarding the mail according to last name without regards to the first name, or maybe your son has the same first name as DH. It can get very confusing. I think one time my pension check was held with the neighbor's mail when they were on vacation. The check was over a week late, but it came the day after they returned home.

Most people think it is coincidence that my pain subsides when I eat the kale, but I'm thinking maybe it contains something I am lacking. The taste is definately different. I don't notice it much when I have the frozen chopped kale in my eggs, and when I cook it by itself I sprinkle some Feta cheese on it. I have also bought some baby kale and added it to salads, but I don't use that fast enough and it goes bad.

I made Chicken Broccoli Alfredo with bowties today for dinner. I use Alfredo sauce out of a jar, Walmart brand. Then I cook some boneless skinless chicken breasts and frozen broccoli and mix it all together with the cooked bowties. The pasta is probably going to spike my blood sugar.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #410  

Determined to clean the office and hall carpet today. I thought dh was going fishing this morning so it would be perfect timing but he decided to wait til this afternoon. I'm going to go ahead with it though. I'm still having trouble with Chrome...used FF for a while and today I may try Edge. I really like Chrome so wish they'd get it fixed so it doesn't mess up like this now and then. Or perhaps I just need to delete and reinstall. Been through this many times.

Our son just asked us to go to a Trail Blazer Fan Fest on Sunday afternoon. Should be fun.

As to the mail problem, my dil gave them all the names in their household in yet another attempt to prevent this from happening but it didn't work. I know it's frustrating for her so hopefully I can straighten it out since we are the ones who are getting their mail. Their moving so much has not helped the situation but she has given them the info each time and the PO should be able to handle it. I've talked to our mailman as well but then sometimes it's a different person too.

Dh made Pinacbet last night, a Filipino dish he likes to make when we have eggplant in our garden. It's funny the last two times he's made it he's forgotten something. The previous time he forgot to buy bitter melon and okra. This time he remembered those (I reminded him) but he forgot the eggplant which was the reason he was making the dish! It was still ok although could have used a little more seasoning. I think he's losing his touch. Well I think I am too sometimes.

Glynne - How are things going with you?

Where is everyone?
Old 09-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #411  

Yea the office and hall carpets are clean!! Such small spaces really but a lot of work. I sometimes think cleaning the machine afterwards is almost as much work as the carpet cleaning and I always end up tracking some debris or water into other rooms which then has to be cleaned as well. Maybe it's just me. I could never do my whole house in a day....but I'm trying to do better about doing one room (plus hall sometimes like today) at a time...it is esp imp right now after everyone has moved out. The cleaning was not perfect....I still see a few stains but I will try and get them next time and it does look a lot better. Some stains I didn't think would come out, did too. And maybe all the work will cause some more weightloss. I snacked too much the last couple days and am up 2.5# but hopefully it will just be part of the up and down thing I do before I lose again, sodium etc.

Dh just left to go fishing, I'm going to rest a bit and then start my regular cleaning for today. I got my nails done yesterday but I still need a hair cut. Decided to let my glasses go til next month. Dh may work again on my broken frames, in case he can fix them after all, but I still plan on getting another pair.

Missing hearing from you all...hope you are ok.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #412  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

It is a nice sunny day here today ~ temperature is mid 80's this afternoon ~ that is not too bad. It was mid 60's this morning ~ it would have been nice walking weather, but I had other things to do and didn't do that.

I'm back home now after spending a week in Ohio. I got to visit mom again, and spend time with my sister and her daughter and granddaughter. It was nice to see family, but because of some family stuff going on ~ it wasn't a very enjoyable time.

It made me feel sad to not get along so well with my sister.

Anyway, I am glad to be back home. I'm real tired. I did get my suitcase unpacked today and the stuff put away.

Surprisingly, even though I ate out some and didn't follow our way of eating while I was gone ~ I actually lost a couple pounds. This morning, I had to go to the store and got some snacky stuff ~ kind of a last little splurge before getting back down to business tomorrow.

Maddie was glad to see me yesterday. She had a whole week's worth of hugs saved up for me ~ I sure enjoyed that.

Kind of tired still ~ so I'll get this posted.

Hope you all are doing well.

Last edited by glynne; 09-29-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #413  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

It is sort of sunny looking right now. Temperatures have been a little cooler lately ~ that is welcome and enjoyable.

Jason had wanted me to drive him to an appointment yesterday because he had worked all night and wouldn't have had very much sleep to be able to drive safely. The time to leave got closer and closer and I hadn't heard from him ~ called and tried to make sure he hadn't overslept. No answer. The time of the appointment came and went. Finally I heard from him and he had changed the time of the appointment and forgot to tell me. It turned out ok ~ I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep anyway.

Jason had done his grocery shopping earlier in the week, so we were able to do the vegetables yesterday. So, today is free for both of us.

I have things I need to do ~ now to get in the mood to do them.

Mary ~ sorry you saw the scale go the wrong way. You are not alone. I saw mine go up too ~ but not surprised ~ I haven't been doing very well with the food. It does surprise me that I seem to hold my own or even lose a little when I am on a trip, but then I undo that when I get back home. Sigh......

Carol Sue ~ hey ~ if the kale works ~ who cares ~ keep doing what helps you. Your chicken broccoli alfredo recipe sounds good. Is this the weekend when your grandson stays with you?

I keep wondering about Sandy and Karrine. Hope they are ok.

Not much to tell. Hope you all have a good weekend.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #414  

Need to get ready to go get my hair cut. Dh has gone to get his fishing rod repaired. There is only one place that does this and it is in Portland. Halo is sleeping in. Since we got home she has been getting us up once in the night (around 2 usually) and again early like 5:30-7:30), then she sleeps in while we get up. Hopefully she will be able to give up the middle of the night outing again after a while. Maybe she is just testing to be sure we are here. They said she barked a lot at their house and she is not barking much here...I think they just didn't understand what she needed. When she starts bugging me by barking and not being satisfied with anything during the day, I put her in the living room so she can look out the window and then she falls asleep. Quiet the rest of the afternoon and sometimes later!

Yesterday we went to see the Star Trek movie...got there, bought our concessions (yes I still have to have them!) and waited for the movie to start. Finally they came and told us they were having trouble with the electronics ...they kept in touch while we waited and finally they gave us 2 free tickets each for our trouble. We went back for the 7 pm movie, using one but we still have another for any other movie we want, no expiration date. So, not counting the concession costs (plenty!) it was a very cheap movie. I felt like I ate junk all day but my weight actually dropped. Only one pound now to be back down to my sig weight. And my bs has been ok to great most of the time...I had one high after the concessions but no worse than it often is.

I am continuing to post old pics for my kids with comments about the people in them that I know. There is a lot I don't know. Mostly it is one son who checks them out, and one dd who does some. Oh well, I'm trying at least. I hope to also have copies here at home when I die and perhaps then they will care more.

I quickly dusted and vacuumed the family room the other day as dh was sneezing a lot. He seems to have a cold though as he is coughing a lot now too. It is loose at least. I checked his lungs and there is some wheezing (which I can hear at night esp) but otherwise they sound pretty clear and he has no chest pain.

Glynne - Glad you made it home ok...it's a difficult time I know but I hope you and your sister can make things up as you need each other for support.
Continuing to pray for you.

Gotta run...have a good day you all!

Last edited by maryea; 10-01-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #415  

Good Morning All. It has been a few days since I posted. I have been busy doing some things that need done, finally. Sometimes I get on the computer and hours go by before I realize it. I shouldn't be doing that much sitting. I know of a woman who has her computer set up with her exercise bike, but I don't think I could type and pedal at the same time. LOL

I had lunch with a cousin, niece and nephew. These are people I didn't interact with for years, but recently my cousin has been planning these little get-togethers. Both her sisters have passed away and I think she misses the female companionship, as now she just has her husband and 2 sons. We went to Denny's and were there for 2 hours, just talking over old times. I was good. I just had a cup of soup, because I know DH likes me to eat supper with him and didn't want to be too full. I don't know if I mentioned before but my nephew is going through treatment for cancer. The new treatment they started is working much better for him and he feels good enough to be back to substitute teaching, so that's a plus. He was told that his cancer is not curable but can be treated for a long time, but I don't know how long a time they mean. So far so good. He is in his 60s. My niece, his sister, had a series of very bad heart attacks last year and was in really bad shape for a long time. She looked good for what she has been through, but I don't think she will ever be back the way she was. So it was good to see them and talk to them, even though get-togethers like that are really not my thing. I'm not a big socializer.

I was surprised to learn how unhappy my cousin was when she was growing up. I went and stayed with them a couple times when I was young and I loved it there. It seemed like a perfect family, like Ozzie and Harriet. But she was the youngest of 3 girls and she got the impression that her birth was an accident and her parents really didn't want another child. Her sisters were much older than her and she said her parent didn't pay a lot of attention to her and she felt neglected and resentful. It's funny the way it appeared so good in my eyes, but wasn't so good for her. The grass always seems greener.

Yesterday my grandson came and stayed with us overnight. The first thing I noticed was at only 8 years old he walked into our house and took over the television remote control. They learn early. LOL We took him out for dinner the just came home and he watched TV, and we watched what he wanted to watch. Rusty is starting to get a little better with him but he still did a lot of barking and growling. Then my step-daughter and her husband stopped over to see him, so we had a nice little visit. I don't know if my grandson was trying to put off bedtime, but he told me he didn't want to sleep in the room where I have the extra bed. I have some stuffed animals on a shelf in there and he said he's afraid of them because he feels like they're watching him. I really think he's too old to be afraid of little stuffed animals and just didn't want to go to bed. DH waited until he fell asleep on the couch at 10:30 then carried him in. I'm really glad he doesn't stay here very often. I think it stresses us out too much because we are not used to him being around without his parents. I guess if we saw him more often it would be different, or if he stayed for the day then went home at night.

Gayle
, it's nice that you had some time to spend with your mother and sister, even though you said you and your sister didn't get along so well. Sometimes sisters are like that. I know there are some uncomfortable things going on. I'm sorry about that.

I can imagine how it made you feel for Maddie to be so happy to see you! She spends a lot of her time with you and does love you very much! Jason probably appreciates his time with you, too. You're a good mother and grandmother.

It's surprising that you do better with your eating when you are on a trip than when you are home. Most people have the opposite problem. We don't go away much so I can't speak for myself. I know when we do go away I am at the mercy of what's available. I know around home I do better in a restaurant than I do at home. In a restaurant, they give you a certain amount and that's it, but at home, it seems that there are always leftovers and I end up eating second helpings when one helping is enough.

Mary, the scale keeps going up and down for me and I'm beginning to doubt that I will ever see a good drop. I have to be very strict with my eating in order to see the numbers go down and I have a hard time being strict for very long.

We also clean our carpets often. I like how fresh they smell after they are cleaned, and sometimes we use the cleaner on the sofa and chairs. We only do the bedrooms about once a year, but the rest of the house gets done more often. So far there haven't been any stains that won't come out. I usually go over the stains with some Resolve before we use the machine and I think that helps.

I can't imagine what happened to Sandy. She hasn't posted for a while. I looked back on some old posts and she was having computer problems shortly before she stopped posting. I hope she's OK. And I still pray for Karrine and Nan.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-02-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #416  

We planned to go to the gym this morning, but I got very little sleep due to my rt leg hurting. I think it is really my hip causing it. I should have taken some pain med but I didn't until after 8 and by then I was too tired to go. I took aspirin and it did help but not completely. I'm hoping to clean the family room carpet today so hope my leg will cooperate. I don't think dh minded not going to the gym because he is going fishing this afternoon and will get exercise that way...he has to walk pushing a stroller holding his fishing gear down and up an embankment down to the river plus just the fishing movement. Cleaning the carpet will be my exercise. I hope it tries fast because it will be impossible to keep Halo and later, dh off it. I'm just going to clean around the big heavy furniture but dh is going to help me move the exercise bike and maybe his recliner.

Carol, I have NOT been cleaning my carpet frequently for quite some time now...I didn't clean it while my older son and also while the family was here...so that's more than two years. I'm trying to catch up now, doing the dirtiest rooms first and there are plenty stains. The rooms with less stains are our bedroom and the living room so they will be the last I will clean. From now on I hope to clean them all more frequently though.

Yesterday was a fun day....after church, we went to the Blazer Fan Fest. It was fun to see some of the players, listen in on an interview with two and also watch them play in a short game..only 4 quarters which ended with a tie so went into overtime, tied again and then after that the team that got the first basket won. Mostly it was fun to be there with the kids as we hadn't spent much time with them since we got home. We all bought food and shared it...entrance was free but the food there is of course very expensive! Then dh was hungry for KFC so we picked up a few pieces to bring home for our dinner. I only ate two small wings, and we shared the sides except the cookies...he's taking what's left of the chicken and both cookies with him when he goes fishing today. My weight was up again today. Seemed like the more I ate yesterday, the hungrier I felt...that's what carbs do to me. Better I don't even start. Not sure what dinner will be tonight and dh will probably get home kinda late.

The way your unhappy cousin grew up sounds very much like me. I too was not a very happy child...won't say it was all bad.. there were some very good things .. but I was lonely and unhappy a lot of the time it seemed. My parents were 38 and 43 when I was born...today that doesn't seem old but it was for that time...they were the age of most of my friend's grandparents. I think they were sorta done having kids and then I came along. At least that's how I felt. I actually think I was a pretty good kid but since I said and behaved in ways that they had not experienced with the first two children, I guess they were unable to understand and accept, and that only widened the gap. I didn't express these things (don't think I'd have even known how as I didn't really understand it myself), so probably no one would have noticed just as you didn't.

I have not had any good drops either but am happy when I see a new low now and then, then for a time I go up and down 1-4# before settling down to another new low. I'll take that as long as it keeps getting lower.

I need to do the first of the month budgeting now, then I can get off this computer for a while. Still having trouble when I use Chrome so using Edge. Don't like it as well but even after deleting and reinstalling Chrome isn't working well and often crashes.

Hi Glynne! Sandy, hope all is well, and I too am still praying for Karrine and Nan.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #417  

I'm not buying new glasses afterall! I found another pair that were the same prescription as the pair that broke. I knew I had them but couldn't find them...funny thing is we were on our way to shop for glasses when I opened up this middle compartment in the car and there they were. I thought sure I'd looked there! They are still one or two prescriptions behind like the ones that broke but the changes are so small I can see see well with them. Even the doctor has said every time the change is no minor it's up to me whether I get new lenses. I don't like the frames as well which is why they haven't been worn much but now at least I have an almost new pair I don't have to spend money on for now.

Yesterday I cleaned the carpet in our family room. Took me about two hours and still wasn't completely dry when we went to bed. Fortunately dh got home late and Halo slept in the living room (her favorite place) for more than five hours! I finally made her go out to pee, but she was kinda scared by all the furniture and other things I'd moved out of the room and she had to go by..but she finally did and then went right back into the living room. She looked at me like what is going on here The carpet seems dry now and everything is back in place. It had some pretty bad stains and I didn't get them all out but it sure looks better. Next I will probably clean the living room carpet..it shouldn't been too stained but needs to be cleaned. It'll be easier cause I can close it off from people/dog but it is Halo's favorite place so she may bark at me.

Again today we didn't get to the gym. Halo woke us up about two and kept whimpering and barking so I couldn't sleep anymore. I told her to go back to bed and she did for a while but then was again at our door carrying on. Dh finally got up at 8 and realized she was hungry. I thought of that but thought her bowl was still full. I stayed in bed til 10 and got a little more sleep but we don't like to go to the gym that late.

I've been eating too much in the evenings so my weight is up 3#. I know I'd better control my eating today. I don't want to ever gain more than 4# above my low point. I had my usual pb mocha for breakfast and a chicken salad sandwich for lunch with Trop 50 OJ. The chicken salad had more mayo in it than I'd like, next time am going to cut way back on that, but it was good and otherwise healthy (had onions, celery and mushrooms in it) and I ate it on my usual low cal/lower carb ww bread. Dinner tonight is chicken stir-fry (with green beans) and rice. I eat only a small portion of rice usually.

I feel lazy today...keep seeing things I need to do, but don't do them. My kitchen floor needs mopping, the dining room chairs seats need cleaning (the kids get them so dirty when they are here!, the living room needs cleaning and our bedroom needs vacuuming for a few......with the carpet cleaning I am way off my schedule.

Hope you are all enjoying nice fall weather. I love the change! Haven't had a lot of rain yet...just sprinkles and it's in the 60s during the day. My kind of weather...although I wouldn't mind if the sun was out...some days it is some it isn't and that's ok with me.

Last edited by maryea; 10-04-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #418  

Rusty doesn't whimper or make any noise like that but all the tags we have on his leash jingle. DH sometimes hears him running up and down the hall with his tags jingling and when he does that he needs to go outside. We let him out right before bed and he's usually good all night but sometimes not. I never hear it. If I take him to the door he won't go out unless I go out with him, and I won't do that. DH can get him to go out by himself. I guess Halo is older and can't make it all the way through the night sometimes. Like me. LOL

They are going to start working on the sewers in front of our house this week or next. They might dig up part of our driveway, and if they do, we might have to park our car on the street for a while. We will keep the new car in the garage and park the old car on the street. We can use that one but we don't trust it to go a longer distance. Local is ok. It depends on what they do if we will have to pay or not. Some have had to pay and some haven't. Nothing we can do if we have to pay. I think I have enough food in the house if I can't get out to the store. Some people's driveways have been blocked for days. It makes me wonder what would happen if there was an emergency and an ambulance had to come. Hopefully that won't happen.

My PC just did an update that took a couple hours. I hope it didn't make any changes that I won't understand.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #419  

I think Halo may just be lonely or even scared at night and wants to be nearer us. She slept most of the night just outside our open door whimpering a lot. She came into our room once or twice and dh put her out outside once. I don't really think it's a bladder problem because she can go a very long time when she has to. She was sleeping all night most of the time before we left on our trip...she's just been this way again since she got back with us. I might put her bed in the hall and see if she's happier there. I'm the one that is more like you,

Doing several loads of wash to day as we are running out of things...clothing and towels. Hoping to clean out the fridge and mop the kitchen floor tonight.
We are going to a movie this after noon...The Magnificent Seven as dh's been wanting to see it. I joined Atom and got one ticket free.

Soon we will be able to get new phones as our contract is almost over. My phone is acting wierd so I'm glad.

Sounds like a mess with the sewer work in your neighborhood, Carol. I'm sure if you needed an ambulance they would still manage though, probably park in the street and take you out on a stretcher. I hope all the work doesn't cost you too much.

Very busy today so will close now...take care you guys.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #420  

Mary, our ambulances around here always park in the street for some reason. I don't know about when someone has a very long driveway. Ours is only a couple car lengths long, but when they are working on our sewer, the street is filled with construction vehicles in front of several homes at a time. They stopped the digging at the house next door to us and probably won't be back here until Monday. We can hear them working a couple blocks away. This is a project they are doing in the whole community....replacing the main sewer lines and connections to each home. It's been going on a couple years now. I believe we are also paying for it through our sewerage bill, labeled as Capital Improvements. I heard that if the lines that go to your home are cracked, you have to pay out of pocket to have them replaced. Hope ours are OK. It's always something. If I have to spend money, I want it to be on something to improve the looks of my home.
Closed Thread