Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #361  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

It has been sunny some of the time today and rainy some of the time.

Right now, I feel in an ok frame of mind, but tomorrow, when we (my sister and I) have to start working again on preparing for that guardianship hearing ~ all the upsetting feelings will probably come crashing back into my mind and I will start to feel sick to my stomach again. At least I haven't had a headache today.

It was kind of a different day today ~ funky feeling some of the time, but better some of the time.

My father-in-law's wife had encouraged me to go back to church. I grew up going to church and kind of felt sad that I had gotten away from going. Work ~ night shift and hospital with its every other weekend ~ kind of made it hard to go, and so I just eventually didn't go anymore. I told her I had visited some, but had never been able to find one that was the right fit for me. She suggested a couple different ones to try. One was the denomination I had grown up going to. There is one not too far from us. I sent an email to that pastor back in July. Small world ~ he knew the pastor in the town where I lived where one of the churches was. I finally got a chance to go visit that church today. I was kind of feeling like with all this upsetting stuff going on ~ maybe that would help me find some peacefulness and comfort. It isn't a great big church. I went to their 9 am service ~ the modern service. They also have another service at 11 am that is a more traditional version. The modern one was ok. I decided since I was all dressed and out already ~ that I would go run a few errands and come back and try out the traditional one. I liked that one better ~ the hymns were familiar. I enjoyed that. I probably have a better chance of going more often to the 11 am one ~ because I will/should be up early enough, where the 9 am one, I might sometimes sleep to late to make it to that one.

After the second church service, I went to Dollar Tree in search of a card for a friend whose 50th wedding anniversary is coming up in a few days. Then decided to go to a different Walmart to see if I could find a couple more of the bras I liked. I had checked again at the one I usually shop at ~ thinking that maybe they had replenished their stock, but they didn't have the size and color yet that I wanted/needed. So, I went on to a different one in our area, found a couple ~ not the colors I wanted, but I got them because they didn't have many of any color in my size ~ thinking that I could use them if I wasn't ever able to find what I really wanted, but would keep looking and return them when/if I did find the ones I wanted. Then started to head back home. Stopped at CVS to pick up a prescription. I was gonna/probably should have gone back home then, but ~ this was the funky mood part ~ I just didn't want to. I guess I was feeling like ~ going back home, I would start thinking about all that upsetting family stuff again ~ and I just didn't want to deal with that. So, I headed to yet another Walmart (in the town where I used to work), to see if they had the bras (size and color) I wanted. No luck, but I got a snack, and headed to another Walmart. There are 6 in a radius area that are not real far away from where we live. They are building another one, so soon there will be 7. My sister called while I was driving to the next one, so when I arrived at it, I stayed in the car and talked to her for a while. Then, got out ~ went in and I struck gold ~ they had the color and size I wanted, so I got the last two I needed/wanted. That saved me from having to go to the last Walmart in the radius area, and I headed back home.

I thought that my husband would be calling and hounding me about where I was. But I didn't hear from him. I was glad of that ~ I think I just needed some time alone and away from the house. I think he maybe realized how upset I have been and that I just needed to be left alone.

You guys probably think it is silly going to all those Walmarts. We don't usually do that ~ I guess I just wanted to get what I needed before they should no longer be available ~ you know how they are always changing things or quit carrying things you like. We usually just shop at the same couple of ones ~ which one we go to depends on which direction we are going for other errands.

Having all those Walmarts nearby is different than how I grew up. We had a (1) K-mart that was probably 20 miles away. We lived in a rural area. About the same when we lived in Maine. It wasn't until living in the city in the Kansas City, Missouri area that we had access to so many stores right close by. There it was the K-marts ~ there were 3 of them in a radius area near to us.

Well, I'd better get some supper dished up for Steve. Hope you all have had a nice weekend.

Last edited by glynne; 08-28-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #362  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, I don't eat a lot of fresh vegetables at home so I guess I don't miss them when I'm in the hospital. I use mostly frozen, because we don't eat enough to eat fresh before it goes bad. And I cook my veggies well, because I have trouble with a lot of raw vegetables and my thyroid. They don't bother it as much if they are well cooked. You probably wouldn't like to eat at my house. LOL DH hardly ever ate when he was in the hospital. One time they were served some type of pasta, and his room mate said if he wasn't really hungry he wouldn't be eating it. LOL I have a little salt/pepper shaker I used to take to work with me and I took it with me to the hospital because they never gave me salt. I don't eat a lot of salt, but they gave me egg beaters for breakfast and I can't eat eggs without salt. I was also not allowed ice cream, but they had little cups of ice cream in the visitors waiting room and DH used to bring me one once in a while.

We went to Bob Evans for dinner today and had a delicious meal. We had steak, cooked with mushrooms and onions and topped with cheese. It was very good. I had broccoli and carrots with mine, and DH had mashed potatoes and a salad. We ordered banana bread instead of rolls, and brought the bread home so DH can have it for breakfast tomorrow with his coffee. I would have loved to eat it but I was being good. LOL

Today I was really tired. I didn't sleep well last night. First of all, we were out late, then I woke up with a cramp in my foot that wouldn't go away. I think it was because of the shoes I wore last night. So when I was complaining that I was so tired today DH told me it's because I quit eating sugar, and sugar gives you energy. LOL It's a good thing he isn't diabetic because he knows nothing about sugar.

I hope you work things out with your neck/arm problems. I agree with you about surgery. I will live with the pain as long as I can. Mine isn't unbearable like some.

Gayle, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother causing so much trouble. Why would he do that? It can't be in your mother's best interest for him to block you from contacting her or asking about her care. That's why they say you can pick your friends but you can't pick your relatives. I will pray about the situation.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #363  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

Just stopping in to say hi ~ the day is almost over ~ it just kind of went by ~ I sort of can't even remember what I did.

Yesterday, I bought several small pieces of fabric for a project I want to do. But the ones I chose (from what was available) weren't really what I had in mind. So, I went down to Joann Fabrics this morning to look and see what they had ~ didn't really see any I liked, so went to Hobby Lobby to check out what they had ~ none of what they had struck my fancy either. I have some remnants here at home, but not sure exactly where they are ~ guess on another day, I'll have to try to locate those ~ maybe there are some pieces in there that would be more of the colors I have in mind to use.

Got to talk to my mom and sister today.

I cut up a cardboard box and made some little easle things out of it. I had made one back along when I was working ~ to put my phone on so I could read stuff on it and not have to hold the phone while I looked at the phone ~ and had my hands free to eat my lunch on my lunch break. But since I have a different phone now ~ a little bigger than the one I had before ~ it is too heavy for the easle thing I had made for it, so I traced the shape of the one I had onto the cardboard box and made one that was more sturdy for the phone I have now. Then since I had already cut up the box making unusable for anything else, I cut out each of the corners and made 4 more of the little easle things.

Tomorrow ~ the dentist.

Hope you all are doing well.

Last edited by glynne; 08-29-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #364  

Height: 5'3"

Busy day...trying to plan a potential trip...for when the kids move out...plus my usual weekly cleaning our bath and bedroom. They plan to move out tomorrow at least by 4 pm or earlier when they get the keys. So I fixed some of my son's favorite foods tonight. They will really be discouraged if something else comes up to delay things so praying that doesn't happen.

We have 5 tomatoes from our garden now. They look really good and I plan to make some salsa. I find it's best if I make salsa right before we plan to use it though and tomorrow I am serving Chicken Stir-fry (bok choy and other veggies) and rice as I know dh has missed stir-fries. Since the kids moved in we haven't had many. Hopefully Wed I'll make a Tex Mex Taco Salad and can use the salsa with that.

I am babysitting tomorrow afternoon as mama has to take our gs in for his screening to determine what class he will be in. He has been in a special education class but the teachers told her he is ready for regular kindergarten as long as he also continues to get speech therapy but apparently the school wants to test him first. I am a little worried the kids may make fun of his speech, but he is a very sweet kid and I'm hoping he can win them over. We have another gs who is very small for his age and when he started school the other boys bullied him but he won them over by his great personality and no longer has problems and girls of all ages totally love him! He's the one that dances

I think both dh and I are feeling antsy, wanting to go places etc., so hopefully we can make it happen soon. Hate to take the money since we are saving, but if it's to be it will work out somehow so praying about it like we do everything.

Glynne - Glad you found a church you find peace in and that it has the two difference type services to choose from. We used to have two services like that but found most people ended up just automatically drifting into the regular service (modern music) so they ended up dropping the other one. Since I just go to worship and learn, I can go to either but I actually prefer the modern one. We since mostly choruses but also an old hymn now and then and I love both. One thing I enjoy is to listen to Christian music on youtube. I esp do this on Sun while waiting for dh to be ready and I esp love the Messianic Jewish music.

Dh is calling me to watch a favorite, Ninja Warriors, so have to stop rambling now. Hi Carol, Hi Sandy!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #365  

Mary, our tomatoes are pretty much done for the season. We will continue to get green ones. I wrap them in newspaper and allow them to ripen. We got a lot, but they come really fast and we have to eat them fast. We don't eat salsa. My step-son makes a ton of salsa and puts it up in jars. I like stir fry but DH doesn't. It's back to that thing where he wants all his food separate on his plate, not mixed together.

I think my grandson is going to need speech therapy but nothing has ever been said about it. I haven't seen him for a while, maybe he's getting over it. He's going into second grade. He can't say the "th" sound. He says it like it's "f." Like "free" for "three." And "furty" for "thirty." It was cute when he was little, but now it's something the other kids could pick up on. I think a couple times he caught himself doing it and corrected himself. I had a lisp when I was little and still have a bit of it. It's comes out more like a hiss now when I say certain words. No one has ever mentioned it, but I can hear it myself.

Gayle, I think you are so talented with needlework and crafts. I have really gotten away from it.

The sleep lab called and told me that the doctor wants to put me on oxygen for sleep, and I told them I don't want it. They said I could discuss it with the doctor at my next appointment. I think it was because they made me sleep on my back, because I can tell my breathing is harder when I'm on my back. Today I am going up there to see if I can get my supplies I need now instead of waiting for my appointment. I think they will want the sale and allow me to get them. I have been using my old original mask the past couple days and DH said it's leaking badly. The straps are really worn out. He told me which of the 3 masks I tried had the meast amount of hissing, so I guess I will go with that one. I really think when the straps get old it makes it loose and it doesn't get a good seal.

I am getting so tired of all these medical problems. Gone are the days when you just get old and sick and die. They put you through hoops to keep you alive longer. I have to keep reminding myself that so many others have it worse than I do, and I am truly thankful for that.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-30-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #366  

Well the final papers were signed this morning and the agent is to meet our dil at the house to give her the keys some time today by 4 pm, she's hoping sooner as she wants to get in to put in groceries and do some cleaning. So glad it is finally happening for them! I watched the kids (they were still sleeping) while they signed the papers and will have two this afternoon, then they will all go to their new home. We had a nice time with them all last night and they let the kids watch TV with us til 10 and the little ones were very loving and sitting with me etc. I guess they understood that soon they would not be with us all the time. I'm sure we will still see them plenty though when we are home.

I laid in bed until 10 since the kids were sleeping and dh went fishing early. It's a cooler cloudy day. The days seem to be passing fast and fall is rapidly coming. If we are here we will likely have a BBQ for Labor Day.

My weight is back up to 166 so glad I didn't change my sig. Everyday I hope to eat right and seems like I get off track at some point each day. I hope to get back to it, I felt slimmer even though it was only 3# less and I want to get back to that. I didn't change my sig because I actually wasn't eating right even the days I was 164 and 165 so figured it wouldn't last. When I start eating right again and see those numbers I will change it.

Carol - You sound discouraged and I understand...when so many things go wrong, it's hard not to be, but you will still have good days. I finally got the results of my Xrays on my neck and shoulder and it appears to be arthritis. As I understand it, there is a falling forward and down of the upper vertabrae which causes my head to kind of jut forward and a rounding of my back. The pain is not severe enough for stronger pain pills or surgery so I will keep on doing what I'm doing. I'm doing pretty good with my exercises now and probably will do better now that the kids leave. Travel makes it more difficult but I will do what I can. So now, I know that I have mild-mod arthritis in my right hip, my neck and back (from cervical vertabrae to lumbar) and probably both knees. I think this is mostly just part of aging as I've heard even active fit people can have arthritis. My mom stood so straight but then she didn't live this long. I'm sure losing weight would probably help some.

Well I hear the kids, and I need to get off my butt and do some work.

Last edited by maryea; 08-30-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #367  

Mary, have you ever gone to a chiropractor? Sometimes they can work on you and straighten up that bending in your upper spine and neck. Most of them don't do all that back and neck cracking they did back in the day. It is more gentle adjustments that can fix things over time. My mother-in-law had that and they fixed her up. I don't know if hers was from arthritis. My left knee is starting to get bad now. It was always just the right knee for so long. I don't get pain per se, but just can't bend it as much as it should, so I have trouble going up and down steps. I think exercise helps that.

Gayle, I used to go on all day shopping excursions when DH was busy doing something else. When we go shopping, he wants to go to one store then come home. I like to go to the farthest store from my home, then stop at each one on the way back. He always hated when I wanted to do that. He likes the mall, but hates stopping at each store, unless they have a hardware or automobile department for him. Another thing he does is he will go get gas. Then later on he will go play the lottery. Then later on I need to go to the store. I tell him to wait til I get ready then we can make one trip and get it all done. We are at Walmart a couple times a week.

I grew up in the city. We never had a car, but could get the bus to the downtown area. When they started building stores like KMart, we could never go there because the bus didn't go there. We could only go downtown. In the future, you should consider looking at Walmart online when the store doesn't have your size or color. Usually, if you find it online, you can have it shipped to the store free of charge and you just go there and pick it up. I have done that with several things they didn't have in the store. There is a smaller Walmart about 5 miles from here. The bigger one is about 15 miles away and we only go to that one if we're passing it, like yesterday. They carry more of a variety. Then there's another one about 10 miles away but we only go there in desperation. It is in a bad neighborhood. There are always purse snatchings and muggings in the parking lot, even in daylight. If we go there, I don't take my purse. I put my credit card in my pocket and that's all I need. DH doesn't even like to use the credit card there because of how people can get the information off your card just by standing next to you. Things are amazing. It's strange that 10 miles from our house it's like a different world. I grew up and hung out in that area and it was fine back then.

I went to the sleep lab and got the supplies I needed. I was tired of waiting. The girl didn't give me the chin strap he said I needed to use, but I think she just forgot. I had to sign a paper that said I had to have my follow-up visit with the doctor in order for the insurance to pay for it. At that time I will discuss the oxygen he wants me on, and I don't know what will happen if I tell him I just don't want it. I don't think he can force me to use it, but then insurance may not pay if the feel I am non compliant. I don't know why I didn't just order these supplies online and pay for them instead of getting myself involved in all this. And this doctor is foreign and has a very strong accent. I really have a hard time understanding him. I'm not looking forward to this. It's Sept 12. I'm starting to understand why so many people just don't go to the doctor. Like my DH.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-31-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #368  

Cooler today...I hear some places back east got snow. It was suppose to start raining about now but on our way to the gym we had a little sprinkling and now nothing. I like days like this. Since coming home from the gym, I have checked a few things online, then talked to my sis on the phone for a few minutes, then checked a reservation we made several months ago for the coast to be sure of the date. That's all I've done today! After I type this, I'm going to put in a load of laundry and then start moving my stuff back to the main bathroom...yea no more being crowded up with dh! I'm already getting used to it, but when I woke up this morning, the house felt very empty. I kinda like quiet though so it's ok.

Carol - No, I haven't gone to a chiropractor and actually my doctor suggested I could try that. I've always been rather scared of them making things worse, and as he said they will need to be gentle. So it's good to know they are more gentle. Right now (since I got the shot), I'm in less pain with my shoulder/arm but if it gets worse I may consider it. It isn't severe pain, more like a slight sprain all the time and is more annoying because it's all the time and I can't lay on it, that's it. I've had much worse pain in my life, so feel sorta silly to make so much of it. Even the leg pain/hip pain isn't what I'd call severe pain...but again it's annoying as it slows me down climbing stairs and I hurt when on my feet for long which makes me feel tired and old. My knees only hurt a little when I go up/down stairs or ride the bikes. So although it is annoying, all these are not severe pain. What IS more painful to me is the burning pain in my thighs...can't be on my feet long without that and recently my feet hurting..but it does ease when I sit down. Next time I see the doctor I will tell him about that. Since I've had it since I was 26 I don't think it's caused by the neck/back issues. A patient has a right to refuse any treatment, Carol, even in the hospital. I have done it more than once.

Hi Gayle! Hi Sandy! I need to get busy..have a good day!

Last edited by maryea; 08-31-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #369  

Mary, I know that a patient has the right to refuse treatment, but I noticed on the paper I had to sign it said something about insurance not paying in certain circumstances, for example, if you don't go for your follow up exam. That's probably my main concern. The paper she gave me for the supplies I received showed a sum of over $300, but she said that's what they submit to insurance, not what I owe them. I guess the worst would be that I would have to pay that money, that I don't have. LOL I guess I worry about things too much. Don't worry until it happens!

Sometimes when you get a chiropractic adjustment it might seem as though they made it worse, as it may hurt worse for a few days before it feels better. For me, I usually start to feel better 3-4 days after my visit. If you were to go this route, I think I would discuss with them how they are going to handle it before they do it. My chiropractor is a friend of DH. He has changed his procedures in the past few years to gentle manipulations. He won't do anything I don't want him to do.

They are going to do some sewer work on our street. The neighbors on each side have a marking in the middle of their driveway. The marking for our house is in the street, at the end of our driveway. I'm hoping that means they won't have to do any digging in our driveway. They have been doing this work all over the housing plan, and it can get to be a mess. I heard from some other people that whatever they do, we are going to have to pay for it. More bills. People who are low income applied for and received a grant to pay for the work. I applied, but I knew we were over the income level to get assistance with it. I guess I should be glad I'm not low income. The people across the street go on a couple cruises every year, but they are low income. LOL Something's fishy.

I hope everyone gets all their problems ironed out, and I hope those who have been missing come back and give us an update! Sandy, Karrine.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #370  

Another morning of waking up after a good sleep to a quiet house, not clean but quiet and it was a good feeling. The kids popped in briefly yesterday and gs had to have a peanut butter sandwich and crackers from me and M&Ms from dh as soon as he came in..LOL, so we are still going to be able to enjoy them. It's again cooler today and I think I sleep and feel better when it's cool, even though I still use my fan. I think I've become addicted to it.

I bought some of the BOOM skin care products (for older women) and I think I like them. Have you heard about them? I may have posted the link, not sure. They made my face feel really soft but I'm not sure the color lasts very long...but I've only tried them once. Will know more how I like them as I use them more. I thought they'd be good for travel as all I need are the three products. I don't usually wear eye makeup when traveling but will pack some for after I get to a destination. Still it will cut down on the number of products I'll need to pack. I'm a pretty light packer anyway....even for long trips I rarely take more than one week of clothes and for shorter trip at least 1/2 that. And I mostly use the free samples for skin care (other than the BOOM now). The BOOM comes in very small tubes and seems expensive however you only need a tiny bit each time.
Here's the link if you would like to check it out. Sorry if it's a repeat. I'm not selling it http://www.boombycindyjoseph.com/pages/store

Didn't get much done yesterday. Still need to clean carpets and do more deep cleaning now that the kids are gone. Still finishing my laundry this morning. I did get all my bathroom stuff shifted over..at least I think...I'm constantly remembering something else. Now I want to scrub out the tub and take a tub bath! It's been so long.

So the plan for today is to finish off the laundry and weekly+ clean the office and main bath and mop the kitchen floor. That's probably too ambitious for me, but I'll try. Trying to decide whether to cut my hair...my head and ears are itching terribly but the way my hair was cut last time, it needs cutting in some places and some places are still pretty short. But if we decide to travel soon, I'd like it cut in time to grow out a bit. These small decisions can be hard for me to make...

Carol - Oh I understand your concern now. We are so fortunate as our insurance covers about everything at least so far. We live in a cul-de-sac and the city sewer runs in the street at the end of of it, but we are all on septic tank. There was some discussion many years ago of getting the sewer up here but we would all have had to pay for it and chose not to. I used to want it but now I don't care..I'm happy with our septic tank.

I've been wondering about Karrine. Hope she's ok.

Sandy hope you are ok and just enjoying the summer. It's almost over, can't believe it!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #371  

Mary, we have always lived where there are sewers. Most of the time when sewers come in you don't have an option to stay with septic, and it's expensive. Around here, some people got a grant, but we were too rich to qualify for that! LOL I found out that the reason our driveway wasn't marked is because we were not home when they came around to check them. They tried to check it yesterday, but they couldn't get the camera in for some reason, so they will come back with another camera. We had a bad clog several months ago, and had to pay $700 to have that cleared. At that time, the plumber checked with a camera and said that our sewers were good, but that doesn't matter to them. They will check, and they will decide. Jerry said he will fight them on it, but you can't fight city hall. The whole housing plan had this done. I think we are the last street. Whatever happens, happens. If we have to pay, it will go on a loan and we will have to make payments.

That's nice that the kids can stop in for a PB sandwich and you can enjoy them, then they go back home. LOL

I don't wear much make up anymore. Just occasionally. It seems that the less I wear, the better I look. That's my opinion. DH likes makeup, but now that I have that bad eye, it's hard for me to put it on the right eye. If I close the right eye to put on eye makeup, I can't see very well out of the left one. So I just try to be happy with what God gave me.

We don't pay for our health insurance, except what they take out of our SS for Medicare. Our insurance is $0 premium. We have small copays usually, and I don't mind that much because we aren't paying for the insurance. So far I haven't had anything denied. DH only goes to the doctor once a year, so all our expenses are from me. DH says I go to the doctor for every little thing. LOL
Old 09-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #372  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

Thursday 9-1 ~ It seems like it is later than it really is. Guess because I got up earlier than usual this morning. I had gotten up to go the bathroom about 4:30 am. Went back to bed and I was maybe starting to drift off to sleep when I realized it was quieter than usual. I have one of those machines that makes nature sounds for while you sleep. I like the ocean waves one. Well, that sound had stopped ~ then I realized that my C-pap wasn't blowing air. No lights. I laid there for a while, but couldn't get back to sleep there, so came out to the family room and tipped back in the recliner and did sleep maybe another hour. Up at 6:30. I feel like it is maybe noon or something, but the clock says only 10 am.

I have to go back to the dentist today. I went for a cleaning on Tuesday and they found that the gum by one of my back teeth where I have a crown is receeding, so that what is left of the tooth under it is exposed and decaying. So, I am going to have that fixed ~ remove the decay, place a temporary crown and go back in two weeks to get the permanent crown put on.

Fun, fun, fun. Our dentist in NC was wonderful ~ when he gave you the shot of novicaine, he was so gentle, you never even knew he had given the shot. I hope this guy is pretty good like that too. I'm not afraid of shots, but the way the other dentist did it ~ it was awesome.

Friday 9-2 ~ I started this yesterday, but never got back to it.

My dentist appointment went pretty good. The doctor said I did not need novacaine because the tooth he was working on had had a root canal and that I wouldn't feel anything. I was apprehensive about that ~ I did not want to be in pain. He agreed that if I felt at any time that it was painful, he would stop and give me the shot. He said all I would feel was pressure and vibration. He explained every step of the way exactly what he was doing ~ that helped a lot. And what he said was so ~ I felt no pain, and did not have to have a shot. I have the temporary crown on now and go back in 2 weeks to get the permenant one put on. I will be glad when the 2 weeks is up ~ this temporary is not a smooth as the permanent one will be and is bugging me ~ I keep feeling it with my tongue ~ and it is kind of bothering a little bit. Nothing I can't stand for the two weeks, but I will be glad just the same to get the regular one on, so it feels right again.

I went with Jason today to his appointment where they are helping him get retrained for some other kind of work. The man who was helping him ~ left for another job, so he had a new lady today. She was nice, but Jason is feeling kind of discouraged ~ he has been working with these people for a few months now and I think he thought he'd be farther along in the process and closer to being able to be done with the back breaking work he is doing now. The first two programs they sent him to didn't work out. The first one he never even got to start ~ he found on one of the papers when he went to get signed up that a GED was a prerequesite. So, he kind of hit a brick wall right there. He doesn't have that. It has always kind of been a stumbling block for him because he has (just found out recently after they sent him for testing) a learning disability. They had told him that there were ways to still get training ~ some that didn't require a GED. So, they sent him to another program for training. What he found out there was the jobs he could get with this training were contract jobs ~ not steady work (so not steady pay) and no health insurance. That wasn't good ~ he needed steady work to be able to pay his rent and stuff. And you almost have to have health insurance. So, after talking to him, she is gonna look into some ideas/options for him. I hope that the “third time is a charm” and he will finally be on his way. He feels like the clock is ticking and if he can't get out of his current kind of work, he will end up disabled. Just this week, he had to go to the doctor because his hands went numb. He now has some kind of nerve issue going on. Praying so hard that things fall into place for him.

Sara, Maddie, a friend of Sara's and Steve were gonna go camping for the long weekend. I was invited, but opted out. That all fell through ~ due to her scum bag ex. I feel bad for her ~ she was so looking forward to it ~ she loves the out of doors and hiking and nature. And Maddie was pretty disappointed.

Carol Sue ~ I don't wear make up. I did a little in college ~ but I didn't feel like I was very good at making it look alright. I think Steve was glad I didn't ~ that and nail polish. That after all was extra money he would have to spend. I think that he liked that I was a “low maintenance” kind of girl. Not wanting all those girly things that would eat away at his money. He was alright with me not wearing it, and to be honest, I didn't have the patience for fooling around with it anyway. I was always reaching up and rubbing my eye and messing up the makeup.
It was a good suggestion about looking on-line for items at the K-mart. Sadly, the nearest one to us is about 200 miles away. There used to be one in the area, but not near enough to be handy (I don't think farther than 20 miles). The Walmarts have driven so many of the K-marts away. When we lived in NC, there was one not too far from us, and then across the intersection was a Walmart. When we visited our former town back in 2014, the K-mart had closed. Kind of sad. I used to want to send gift cards for Christmas or birthdays to Sara, but she asked me not to do that. I thought she was just being picky or something ~ but I didn't know the area. Now that I live down here ~ I realize that it wasn't handy to her.

Mary ~ glad you are enjoying the quiet and getting some better rest now, but that the kids don't live too far away and can pop in from time to time. Your mention of your little grandson coming and wanting a peanut butter sandwich ~ made me think of going to my grandma and grandpa's house ~ we would walk in and head straight to the cupboard with the cookies and get some. Grandpa bought these ones that were sort of like the Keebler Pecan Sandies. He called them gravel cookies ~ maybe because there were crumbs when you ate them. Yum ~ I loved them.

Hello Sandy and Karrine. Keep thinking of you and wondering how you are doing.

Guess I will get this posted. Hope you all have a good rest and have a good weekend.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #373  

Seems like this day has flown by. I only did my daily work and then went out for a haircut. Today is our anniversary...54 years...and our ds invited us out to dinner with them. We went to Rib City and the ribs were very good, and so were the sides. I don't normally eat pork often...but those baby backs were so good I'm sure we will return. I never got my kitchen floor mopped, thought I'd do it tonight but now I'm tired so not so sure.

I don't wear much makeup...these Boom products are more like skin care than make up although one has color and the gleam has just that...adds a little gleam. I like that with only three tiny tubes I can have what I need for most days. If I go out to eat or to church, I usually add a little mascara and sometimes eye liner but not every day. She developed these products for older women who don't want to wear a bunch of makeup so with these three products you can look nice and natural. She has videos on her site showing how she uses them and why she came to create them. She's coming out with a cleanser now too. So far I think I like them and my face feels really good with them. You can also use her products all over your body and makes larger containers too. I dabbed a little on my cuticles today and last night I tried it on my itchy ears. She also makes an intimate lubricant that is very good too.

Oh, I love the pecan sandies...so I'd probably like your grandpa's cookies!
Old 09-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #374  

Mary, the mascara was the first thing I gave up. My eye lashes have gotten so short and stubby that mascara just seemed to accent that. For a while I was using one that lengthened and that worked well, but naturally, they quit making it, and the ones they have now lengthen and thicken. The thickening is what doesn't work on me. I saw someone selling it on Amazon, but I'm afraid it's old and leftover and might be dried up when I get it, so I just stopped using it. And eye liner is what I can't see to apply anymore. Getting old is so much fun. LOL

Happy Anniversary!! I like ribs, but DH does not, so I only eat them occasionally. They usually have a sweet sauce in restaurants and I can't do the sweet sauce. DH only likes boneless pork loin.

Gayle
, I was talking about ordering from Walmart, not Kmart, as you said you were driving from one Walmart to the other looking for what you wanted. Ordering would save you from driving around. Just a suggestion.

I feel bad for Jason, too. It's a shame he can't get his GED. Also, I'm wondering if he could get assistance or to get him help with some medical insurance since he has the learning disability, but I'm sure he has looked into that already. People need to be able to support themselves, somehow.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 09-03-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #375  

We just got a little while ago...got up early and went to visit our dd at the OR coast. It was a good day...sunny but cool and they have a beautiful home. They say they have a lot of maintenance and remodelling to do but it looks great already to me. They took us out for lunch and then we sat and talked and watched TV together, before I did some Lularoe shopping...ended up buying a dress (yea! One I can wear...kind of big tend but it's my favorite color, blue so I like it...it's got one of those up/down hems...not too sure about that but just have a dress I fit makes me happy. I also got two more Azure skirts..they are my favorite..one is black and cream, and the other is a mix of colors..blue, pink, purple. Both are very pretty and the black and cream one is the same buttery soft like the leggings. My dd has one herself and she says it's very comfy.

On the make up - I am slowly giving up makeup ...even my dd said she is too...they are making so many nice slightly tinted moisturizer and many are so good you really don't need foundation. I have lots of eye shadow but now that I have the Boom Color I don't really use anything but it...it is so subtle it doesn't look like make up and all you do is swipe it so very easy. I still like mascara but the one I will likely give up soon is eye liner. I still use it sometimes because I do think I look better with it, but it's a bother so I doubt I'll use it much longer. I only wear it one or two days a week anyway and I want my life to be as simple as possible. My dd (39) has switched from foundation (she's worn since he was 16 )..to tinted moisturizer only and her zits are now going away. I think things are changing. ETA: My dd uses Everskin skincare. I also like a tinted moisturizer by Coty...it makes my face very smooth and it's the only think I've been using in the summer until I got the Boom product and it has sunscreen in it. I'm not sure I'm completely satisfied with the Boom line for all the time (it's great for travel cause the tubes are small) so in time I may try the Everskin line just to compare.

Last edited by maryea; 09-04-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Closed Thread