Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #226  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

A nice sunny day today. Yesterday, it was rainy in the afteroon ~ with thunder and lightening. Maddie hates thunder and lightening ~ so stuck to me like glue ~ right up in my lap. I feel bad that she is scared of the storms, but don't mind a little extra snuggle time.

I've had two cooking days. Yesterday made a pot of vegetarian chili ~ Maddie loves that. And home made applesauce ~ Maddie likes that too. Today a bean loaf and two pans of roasted vegetables. That will hold us for a few days.

I got to talk to my mom today ~ she was doing really well ~ sounded good, talked to me for almost ½ an hour. Her speech was pretty clear today and her comments during the conversation were appropriate. I am so thankful after how she was a few weeks ago.

Carol Sue ~ I wish you could have gotten that other house ~ so you wouldn't have the worry about having to go up and down the stairs. Too bad about that racoon, but glad that Rusty will be safe now. I looked about that Flexitarian diet you mentioned. That sounded kind of like how I prefer to eat. I ordered a used copy of that book. Usually I try to get it at the library and see if I like it before I buy it, but our library didn't have it.

Mary ~ maybe you could keep a container of beans mixed up in your fridge ~ that you could eat like at lunch ~ just for you if Joe doesn't like them. In a container, I mix together a can of light red kidney beans, garbanzo beans, black beans and I fill one of those empty cans (use it to measure a cans worth) of frozen shelled edamame. It is a colorful mixture and we like it. It gives that cup of beans daily that the Furhman diet encourages you to eat. We put a little raspberry/walnut vinagerette salad dressing on it, and also mix in the ground flax seeds that you are supposed to eat every day.

Hello to Sandy, Karrine and Emaline. Hope you all are doing ok.

Hope you all have had a good day and having a nice evening.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #227  

Height: 5'3"

I've gotten most of my daily stuff done so am about to leave to do some shopping I've been putting off. Dh is fishing today so a good day to do my own thing. Not suppose to be so warm today...think it's to get to about 75. I got out early and watered a plant I wanted to be sure and get to before it got warmer. Last night I watered all the plants in the front yard..so starting on my commitment to help dh more outside. He prefers to do the mowing and as he can sorta lean on the mower (like the grocery cart) it relieves his pain somewhat and it is exercise. So will leave that to him for now.

Yesterday the men came and took down three of our trees...two were dead and the other was potentially dangerous to our foundation plus got pine needles on our roof and our neighbors' roof. They haven't complained but it bothered dh. So our back yard looks very open now. We have one puny kind of stunted looking evergreen in one corner of the side yard I'd forgotten about. Maybe it will do better now that the big tree is gone, but then it will have to go to if it does. Other than that just two other trees in the middle that are thinner and kinda stragglely. They are not evergreens and I have never liked them much but that's the way it is. The workers did a good job and cleaned up well afterwards too. Cost was $1730ish but dh rounded to $1800 for a tip and felt we got a good deal. Since the two dead trees had double trunks, dh said those are counted as two trees each so four trees plus the big one. The company we usually use quoted us $1500 just for the 2 (double trunked) trees. He didn't ask them about the big tree. Oh and they also made two chairs for dh to rest when working one on each side of our large backyard using the stump and leaving a back on one...just attached a board to the other..but he will enjoy them as he has to rest frequently now. He actually liked their work better than the other company. We talked a bit about possibly moving...but still don't know what to do...but he did say he thought he would be willing now if it were a small house with a small yard. We don't want a condo or apartment. But I don't know whether we can get enough from our place to buy another straight across...we don't want a mortgage. We could rent our house but that's still iffy...and probably a hassle...and we'd still be committed to a mortgage and if the renting doesn't work..what then? We have the money (as long as we are together) for a mortgage but it would cut into our discretionery income plus if he leaves me, I can not afford it. So unless we find the perfect circumstances, we'd rather stay here and just hire when necessary. I think right now he and I can manage the yards. We do hire for the big jobs like repairing the roof. I feel like it's going to work out just the way it should (our situation I mean).

Last night was leftovers again. I ended up just eating some lentil chips and a tofu dip I sampled at the store a week ago. It was a great combo but I ate too much and got sick of it. Very little calories and carbs though. But I also ate a lot of cherries last night and my bs was high this morning. My weight continues to be 2# above my sig so I need to try harder.

Glynne - I prefer just one kind of bean at time..I just remembered I also like black beans...so I eat pinto, kidney or black beans usually. I'm a very simple eater. Sometimes I eat them plain with a little salt and some raw veggies on the side. If I have potatoes, I love to cook a potato in my "waterless" cookware, mash, add s/p and a little Smart Balance and cover with beans. Dh wouldn't like it but I sure do! Not sure I'd want to eat beans every day as your diet prescribed but I do like them and when I open a can I usually eat the whole can in a couple or three days. When you cook in advance as you do, do you eat them up in the microwave or oven? I don't do well when I cook in advance...seems like my food always ends up overcooked or dry. Glad it works for you.

Carol Sue - I wouldn't like a racoon or a possum close to my house. I had a friend who got a whole bunch of possums under her house. That would creep me out. She handled it quite well even though she lived alone. She called people to come clear them out for her. I'd be screaming..."Joey!" (my dh.
We do occasionally get possums on our room ...at least the evidence they leave I am told seems to indicate them. I think they jump from the neighbors tree to our tree (the one we cut down yesterday) to our roof.
So perhaps less trees will help there too. I kinda hated to see that tree go, it was pretty. Dh says we will plant more flowering trees now. Perhaps buy larger ones and have them planted for us. We have one in our front yard. It is growing shoots up the side of the trunk...can you just take those shoots and start new trees? Take a long time to grow but at least it would be a tree if you can and it is a very pretty tree. Just wish the blooms lasted longer.

Sandy - guess you are probably working hard in your garden. Take care of yourself and don't overdue and hurt so much.

Well I need to get going...have a good day.

Last edited by maryea; 06-30-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Gayle, I buy those frozen edamame but I just eat them by themselves for a snack. I never thought to combine the beans. I make corn and bean salsa. I combine a can of black beans, with a half can of corn, usually Mexican style, chopped red onion, and a tbs of olive oil and a tbs of vinegar. I add a dash of spices, like cumin or cilantro. The last time I made it I used jalapeno corn, and it added a bit of heat. The recipe calls for equal beans and corn, but I only use half of the corn. I put the other half of the can in a bag in the freezer for the next time. I like that. I keep it in a container in the refrigerator and eat it cold. I got the recipe from my step-daughter. At a party or get-together, I serve it with Scoops Tortilla chips. DH doesn't like it. He won't even try it. He only tolerates beans in chili.

Mary, we paid $425 to have this one tree cut down. No clean up, no haul away. DH Is going to burn the smaller branches and his brother and son want the bigger pieces for firewood. It was an Ash tree. We didn't know that until the tree guy told us. We have a large crabapple tree in our front yard. It gets beautiful flowers on it in the spring, then the little apples after the blooms are done. The deer like to eat the apples. DH didn't know it was going to get those apples or he would have chosen a different tree. He won't take it down now because it blocks the neighbors from seeing us when we are sitting on the front porch. LOL

I could live anywhere. I lived in an apartment building before I met DH and I didn't mind it, but DH hated it. He hated that you could hear the neighbors and they could hear you. When we dated, we spent most of our time at his house. There's always work with a house. Most of the older neighbors in our neighborhood pay someone to cut their grass, etc. We might reach that point some day. Yesterday, DH weed whacked the hill behind our house. I didn't think he was going to do it this year but after the issue with the raccoon he decided to do it. I like it so much better, but it's a lot of work to do it. With it cleared, we don't see as many critters.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #229  

That's cheap for a tree even if they didn't clear things up, Carol, if it was a large tree. We keep the wood but we have so much now that dh intends to sell it this time. They chipped up the branches etc for us in their wood chipper. Not sure we will have any need to hire them again but we would if we did.

We just got home from the gym a few minutes ago. I was tired but still got a good workout I think. Stopped at the CU to get some cash since it's the first. Can't believe how fast the 4th is coming. We are having a family get together, but the kids are doing the meat. I am making deviled eggs and probably fruit.
Unfortunately most of the gc don't care for fruit...they only think a treat is candy some other sugary thing. They don't seem to care for baked goods however, I think because they are not used to them. I may pickup some popsicles and fudgesicles too as I know they like them.

Yesterday I shopped til I dropped...got several inexpensive tops...wore one to the gym this morning and I really like it. The material looks like denim but is kinda stretchy. I also got some new eyeliner and a sharpener. You know all the years I've lived and I never thought about buying a makeup sharpener! I guess I thought since I'd always gotten them with a product, that that's the only way they came. But I needed a larger hole for a lip color pencil and so I asked about that and they had this sharpener with two different size holes and one that you can even make larger! So I bought that and I really like it...now all my makeup pencils are nicely pointed. Sometimes small thing makes me so happy. I also bought some BB cream. I've tried samples before but this is the first time I've bought it.

Last night was pizza night and I ate two pcs...told my son he's making me fatter bringing home pizza. I did have a salad with it, but the pizza even when I feel sick of it...still tempted me. Next time I'll try to keep it to one slice.

Yes there is always work with a house...for sure. Never ends. Our dd gets deer in their back yard. They love that. No apple tree even. So far they just get mamas with babies. When we were RVing, in some areas, we would get them behind our trailer. I liked watching them. But I know they can be pests ...with plants etc.

Hello Glynne and Sandy...

Last edited by maryea; 07-01-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #230  

Mary, back when I was still able to eat pizza I did something psychological with myself to get me to eat less. I would take one slice and cut it in half, and tell myself I had 2 slices. It really did work!! Some of my friends thought I was crazy. LOL

I am not much of a fruit eater. We rarely had it at home growing up. I will eat it occasionally, but seem to prefer something more savory instead.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #231  

Height: 5' 2"

CarolSue You don't eat fruit and I eat too much and want more. I've already had over a cup of blueberries with my cereal this morning and just finished an apple with 1/2 peanutbutter sandwich. I'll probably have a banana before I got to bed. We always have a big fruit bowl on the table and the 3 of us empty it twice a week. Wish I enjoyed beans as much as you and Mary do. I will fix the edamame as a wonderful treat. DH blends a can of Asparagus with some blueberries and pineapple and add about 1/3 cup to his milk for Breakfast and for Supper. I prefer my Asparagus cooked and on the side of my plate, but wish it was not so expensive!

Mary Good to hear that you are still using the gym so well. I missed the entire month of June, but at least walked 5 days a week for 3/4 mile. Probably will be hitting gym as the weather turns hotter.

Floods in West Virginia didn't hit us, but the 5 inches of rain did and drained off, thank Goodness. So many people have lost everything and the elderly have no place to go. The Greenbrier (the fancy 5 star resort area that usually has the PGA tournament this weekend) cancelled the golf, their course was well under water and covered with old cars and even parts of houses. Jim Justice, the owner, opened the Greenbrier to those that had no place to go and is feeding them all. He is earning some real respect from many, many people. He is also running for Governor of West Virginia and his actions will certainly help him there. He has to be a good business man to do all he does.

I spent an hour talking with our oldest daughter as we caught up of family. They got a hot tub and had it full of them, kids, and grandkids last weekend. Kit really enjoys having the grandkids so close, ages 2, 3, and 7 (almost 8) So glad for her!!! She looks the most like me of our 4 kids, but is so doggone smart! Has a really great job and yet no college degree. The other 3 have college degrees but other two daughters struggle even tho they are so good with what they do.

I'm so relieved DH and I are retired. I even decided to take the week off of volunteer work for the first time ever. Have lots to do, but I need the break. Don't even answer the phone unless it is family. I have 4 hours a week to find substitutes for and with most on vacation, I can't even get answers. I simply needed a break and let the phone ring.

Garden is at it's very best right now. Have some friends that want to come see and we're trying to find a time when they can be outside and not "burn up." Today would be perfect but they are all out of town, too. We simply take our coffee or ice water and go out in the shade and enjoy it ourselves.

Bible Class on Wednesdays is realy, really interesting. I love Wisdom Literature and Fr. John knows the Bible so well, and teaches it in a great way. He puts up with 20 or more of us asking questions, or making some remarks that I feel surprised would be asked in such a class. Funny at times, but also interrupt the flow, but he simply takes it in stride. Amazing!!

DH went to the Men's Bible Class this morning and is so enthusiastic about what he is learning from Fr. John, too. They keep their discussions private so the men can talk about things that normally they wouldn't.

I'll try to come here more often. Surprised how long I went without coming here. Enjoy the weekend, Sandy
Old 07-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #232  

Can't believe it is the 2nd of July already...the 4th is coming fast, but apparently not fast enough for some fireworks fans. So many fireworks were going off I couldn't get to sleep last night. The night before it was a neighbor's dog barking! I used to think our bedroom was so insulated we rarely heard anything but now recently I sure have. Dh can't hear as much but even he heard the fireworks last night...he woke up and ask me if that was me "banging." I felt like saying I might have gas but it's not THAT bad!

Today he will pressure wash the patio and patio furniture in preparation for our Monday family get together. Also our son will go up on the roof to finish spreading the mold killer as it never got finished after the neighbor boy did most of it as dh had to buy more product. I think I will go to the store for the frozen treats and maybe a cake mix. Was thinking a small cake might be good...not large enough to do a lot of diet damage but an extra treat for everyone to get a small pc if they want.

Last night's dinner was crazy...I was making this beef and broccoli stir-fry...sounds simple enough but the recipe called for teriyaki sauce. But for some reason I was thinking worchestershire sauce, although even as I removed it from the fridge, I thought I don't even like worchestershire and thought I'll add a little soy sauce to it. Well I made the sauce and then suddenly realized I'd made a mistake. My son called me and were were talking about that time too...he's been learning about how to prepare for the "big one" we're supposed to get some time, and I was interested, and not paying much attention to my cooking. It was during this time I realized my mistake. After I got off the phone, I drained out the meat and now somewhat overcooked broccoli, sprinkled a little more soy sauce on it all, and heated it again, added water and a little cornstarch. I texted the kids of my mistake and told them they might not want it. Dh said he wasn't hungry and I was disgusted with it all and tired so lay down. About an hour later, the kids got home and they still hadn't eaten and dh then decided he was hungry too so I let them help themselves and they ate it and my son esp liked it! He ate 2 or 3 servings of it! I couldn't eat it so I didn't really have dinner, which made my weight drop down to only 1# now above my sig weight again, however my bs was very high for some reason. I was about to throw away the small amt of the dish that was left and my dil said don't throw it away, that our son might like it for lunch today. Couldn't believe it...all the good food I made that they won't even try and they like this! The kids made offers on another two houses...they look very nice so hope they get one of them. It truly is a seller's market here.

Sandy - I'm like you, I love fruit and as a diabetic, I eat too much of it sometimes. Recently it's been cherries and now it's blueberries. So far I've been carefully with my portion of blueberries so hope I continue that. Your pastor sounds like a good teacher...a good leader is able to handle whatever comes up. And how can one learn without asking questions, I always say. I think it's very good for both men and women to have their own classes and probably esp the men as men often don't talk about things, they should perhaps explore. I wish that dh was still in a men's group...he has stopped because he felt he didn't have much in common with the younger men and also because it's at night when he's tired, and I understand but it was so good for him in the past. I also think understanding and wisdom of the elder men can help the young ones too...actually it can flow both ways often.

Well, I need to get busy...you all have a good day. It's to be 75 today here. and so far is sunny.

Last edited by maryea; 07-02-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #233  

Mary, I don't like Worcestershire sauce. DH likes it on his steak. Even when it's called for in a recipe I leave it out because then I wouldn't be able to eat it. I like soy sauce but right now don't have any in the house. I don't think I ever tasted teriyaki sauce. I just don't seem to cook recipes like that. That's funny that you're son's family liked the dinner that was a mistake. LOL The only time I ever made something that was a mistake was when I forgot to put meat in the lasagne. No one even noticed it, but I knew.

What type of meat do you use in your beef stir fry? I think I tried making that one time but the meat turned out tough. I don't have a lot of luck cooking beef. I never know what cut to buy.

I'm surprised that we haven't had a lot of fireworks around here this year. I think it's because it's becoming a senior citizen neighborhood. It used to be a lot worse. The one man who used to have a lot might not have any this year because he's daughter passed away recently and they are still in mourning. There was another man up the street who always had a lot but he might have moved away. On the 4th, there will be a big public fireworks display that we can watch from our front porch. We will have a little cook-out just for the two of us, but no big party. My kids go with their drinking friends where it's more exciting. LOL I'm just as happy not to have all the work.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #234  

Happy Independence Day, or the 4th of July!! It is cloudy and isn't supposed to get too warm...I think 71 and even that pretty late. Dh pressured washed the patio and furniture but it's possible we will end up eating inside. I just got up, weekly cleaned the small bathroom and made our bed, got trash/garbage ready for dh to take out and had my breakfast. Heating oven to bake a cake now.

My son showed me how to upload my recumbent bike workouts to MFP, but I need a new flash drive to do it.

Other than the cake I'm ready for the dinner...just need to remember now to set all the stuff out. I'm known for forgetting things.

Carol - I usually mix worchestershire with soy sauce to make it more palatable for me, but some of my fam actually like it alone on steak. The meat I use for stir-frying is the most tender steak meat I can find. Sirloin steak is not bad, esp if sliced thinly. I buy my meat from an organic store and it is usually very tender although a couple times I've bought tough sirloin. It was sirloin I used the other night for beef and broccoli. I don't often use teriyaki sauce as I don't like it either but dh and the boys do. The first time I used that particular recipe I used a premade teriyaki sauce from a frozen teriyaki chicken entree and dh really liked it. This time I didn't have that so meant to just follow the recipe but you know how that turned out.

We had even more fireworks last night....poor Halo is so scared, she's been sleeping right outside our bedroom door with her bottom up against the door!
I'm always afraid someone will get up and stumble over her in the night.

We live in a cul-de-sac and the neighbors set off their fireworks in the street so we can watch their display too. Our son said he bought fewer but bigger ones this year. We missed last year ...we went to Alaska then..so can't compare though. I'm not big on the noisy kind.

Well, my gd keeps talking to me and showing me her toys so I can't concentrate. Better get that cake baked anyway.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #235  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Happy Fourth of July everyone.

It has been a quiet day here today. I've been working on some little sewing projects and some other little puttery things. I enjoy getting stuff done.

Sara didn't have to work today, so Maddie is with her. Don't know what they are doing on this holiday day. Jason is working.

I record and watch the PBS 4th of July program. I started doing that when I was working, because it seemed that I always ended up working and missed out on fireworks and all. It's not quite the same, but I enjoy the music. When the holidays aren't like they used to be, you have to come up with some other way to enjoy it.

Scale was up this morning ~ it goes up and down, but has been kind of creeping up with every up. So, what did I do? When I made a Walmart run this morning, I had snacks that I didn't need. That makes me feel kind of bummed. But, what's done is done. Tomorrow is another day ~ plan to get back on track. And need to try harder to be more consistent with exercising.

Got to talk with Mom today. She has been sounding so good the last few times we've talked. I am so thankful that she is feeling better/doing better.

Mary ~ enjoy your family gathering.

Carol Sue ~ while I miss getting together with family, like you, I don't miss the work that goes into it.

Sandy ~ that was really nice of the man who owns the Greenbrier to let people who had nowhere to go after the flooding come there.

Hope you all have had a nice weekend.

Last edited by glynne; 07-04-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #236  

Today I want to call my Insurance and ask about what all is covered for my CPAP. The doctor's office sent me a form to sign saying that I will pay all deductibles and copays plus anything not covered by insurance. I don't want them to do anything that isn't covered by insurance. I can't imagine what that would be, anyway. I really don't want to do another sleep study, but I might have to for him to give me a prescription. I have to have this CPAP. I know a lot of people who need them don't use them, but after having it all this time I can't sleep without it. They have sleep studies you can do at home, but that's something that might not be covered by insurance. It seems that they want you do do all these things for your health, but then they make it so difficult.

I guess I spoke too soon about the locals setting off fireworks. They really let loose yesterday, more than last year. We really don't mind it, and Rusty doesn't either. He isn't as adventurous, but he doesn't shake like our other dogs used to. He stuck pretty close to me, which I liked. Then we had the bigger neighborhood display after dark. It was about a half our long. People from all over town come to see them. I think ours is the only fireworks display in town. Each year they threaten to discontinue them due to lack of funds, but they always seem to come up with the money from somewhere. I would be OK if they didn't have them, but DH really likes them, and was actually taking videos of them.

I did well with my food, too. I ate a couple bites of potato salad and didn't like it, although DH said it was good. I think my tastes are just changing. I had my meat without any buns. And we had no dessert. I don't like sweets so I don't think to make dessert. It usually ends up being thrown out because DH is the only one eating it. I want to do something to use up some apples I have. I might slice them and toss them with flour and sugar like you do for pie, and just put them in a pan with a top crust. I won't eat it, but if DH doesn't eat it all I won't care because I won't have a lot of money invested. Even making a cake doesn't work because half of it always goes down the garbage disposal.

Mary, do you make your cakes from scratch or use a mix? My mother-in-law would never use a mix, but they are so easy and I think they are good, so does DH, so why make more work for myself? There are so many recipes out there where you add things to the mix, but DH doesn't usually like them. He just likes a plain cake with icing.

It's not as hot here lately, but the humidity is bad so we have been keeping the air conditioning on. Too muggy for sleeping.

Gayle, I'm glad to hear that your mother has been sounding good lately. I'm sure it warms you heart. I know you miss family, but it was nice that you got a break from Maddie and got to do some things you wanted to do.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #237  

Yesterday was a lot of fun! There were 12 of us but you'd think it was even more with all the excitement. We didn't have dinner until almost 4 pm. The kids were really hungry by then so we quickly filled their plates as soon as part of the meat was ready. Turned out my dil did not make ribs but we had plenty meat...the old staples for BBQ...hamburgers and hot dogs. I don't like the way my son makes hamburgers...he makes them thick and they were still red inside. Too bad (to me) because they do have a good flavor...he made three different seasoning types. I chose the hot black pepper and it was very tasty but because of the redness I couldn't really enjoy it...just ate around the edges. We ate inside as it was slightly too cool to eat on the patio comfortably. My son's gf had to work and didn't get here til around 6, so he brought the baby and her two other children and we enjoyed them esp that baby! She is 6 months old now, can almost sit up by herself...gets a bit wobbly at times..and is trying to crawl. She rarely cries and is very alert to everything and reaching for things. Her mama pumps milk for her but she drank very little....I'm sure she's like one of my sons and just prefers to wait for mama if she can. She did eat a little rice cereal. My son takes such good care of her. He brought a foldable bed and she took almost an hour nap. The dinner went well...even after his gf came we left the more snacky types foods out and by the end of the evening (11 pm), most of it was gone. We nibbled on 3 kinds of fruit, chips, cake and popsicles/fudgesicles all evening. The kids didn't realize I also had popsicles and fudgesicles (esp) and they were so happy to find them! The neighbors started their fireworks display as soon as it was dusk and they must have bought out the stands because they had LOTS. We put out chairs and watched them, then when it got dark, we started ours. There were some really good big ones...esp the neighbors but some ours too. I suspect many of the neighbors were not legal, you can buy them on the Indian reservations where they are legal, but they are not really legal outside the reservation is my understanding. We enjoyed them though. The display from our neighbors plus some we could see from other neighbors further away was the same as what we'd have seen had we gone to the community display and we were much more comfortable. There are a lot of very large evergreen trees in our area though and I was kinda concerned about a fire, but as far as I know there was none. I did two dishwasher loads and at bedtime I just piled the rest of the dishes in the sink to do this morning. Our little gd actually ASKED to go to bed when it was over! That's very unusual!

Poor Halo! She was so scared last night! We didn't take her outside, as we knew the sounds and lights would be too much for her, so she huddled under the table. I gave her what I call her doggie "chill" pill, but she still didn't go to sleep. Then someone told me she had peed in the bathroom....sure enough...she did a good size puddle but smaller than I've heard she can do on the throw rug. We wiped up what we could and put the rug in the garage for washing. She only pees inside when she is upset and she always does it on a throw rug...twice it's been the bathrooms and the only other time she did it on a rug near the back door and that was when her master was leaving for the last time and I think she realized it. This time it was the fireworks.
I stayed with her a while, patting and reassuring her and gave her another pill after asking son (too much for her size, so wanted his approval since she's really his dog). She still couldn't sleep but was pretty quiet the rest of the evening, and I peeked in on her now and then. And again she slept with her backside backed up against our bedroom door all night. She is a very emotional dog! I'm just thankful she didn't throw up!

I slept in very late...11 am...but it took me a long time to get to sleep and also was up about three times going to bathroom, taking care of Halo (twice).
When I finally got up the kids were gone so it's quiet here now. All I've done is daily clean our bath and make the bed and get garbage/trash/recycling ready to go out. Next I will weekly clean the main bath, have to mop that floor good and maybe the hall, and take care of the dishes. I find time I'll maybe get a haircut.

You all have a good day...

Last edited by maryea; 07-05-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #238  

Mary, your party sounds really nice and I understand why you enjoyed it so much! I don't mind my meat being red when it's steak or prime rib, but I don't like red ground meat. Anyway, I heard it's not safe unless well cooked. When we make burgers, we make them on the George Foreman grill because it cooks them all the way through, sometimes even too well done for me. We made them on the gas grill on the 4th and DH put his in the microwave afterwards because it was still a little too pink. Mine was fine.

We are really having a heat wave here. Our thermometer says 85, but it's so humid it feels much hotter. DH just finished cutting the grass and he had to come in for a while halfway through to get cooled off.

I think all fireworks are illegal in our area unless set off by professionals but the law is never enforced. The smaller ones are still sold in the stores. I think our neighbors get the bigger ones in Ohio and WVa, since we are so close to the border.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #239  

Got home a short time ago from the gym and a couple quick stops for groceries. With the kids here we run out of milk frequently...and we sorta take turns buying it since dh uses the same milk. I got home feeling very tired and couldn't get to my computer because I had to change sheets on the trundle bed before putting it back in so I can get to my computer. Had to have dh help me...small bed but little space and it is hard for both of us. Then did the top bed but that's easy.

I noticed some cracks in the shelves of my new fridge, we bought the maintenance plan but not sure whether that is covered but plan to call and find out.

Still need to shop for our gd's birthday. Doubt that happens today...maybe tomorrow. Also still need a haircut.

Other than that I plan to weekly clean the office and hall. Haven't even done daily stuff yet though.

The humana person called today to ask me about my dieting. LOL I forget she's going to call and I was still in bed (but awake) and almost hung up on her as when I saw FL I thought it was a sales call. I really should tell her to give up on me..but I guess I hate to say it. Sad to say, but I will not change my ways because of her calling me..I was happy to tell her I'd lost 2 or 3# but also told her that I keep going up and down which she said is normal, which of course I know...the trick is to get the bottom of your range a little lower all the time at least...but my weight is staying more consistently now 2# above my sig weight. I think I'm eating more having the kids here.

Well not much news...and much to do...since I can't get on my computer often, I have trouble keeping up with my finances and other things I usually do online each day. They just left for McDonalds so I have a little time right now.

Last edited by maryea; 07-06-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #240  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary I well remember the trundle beds. We had them for our two younger daughters, and trying to walk into the room wasn't easy. It was nice when all was put together. Our daughter bought a Bunk with queen lower and twin upper so DH and I could visit yet she could still have the 3 grandkids over.

I'm like you, I try to get on line when my daughter is painting, or out of the house. For some reason, probably the numerous storms we've been having, I have not been on line for a while.

Carol Sue First, I agree I love my steak with some red showing when I cut it, but too often it is "over done". I remember a family member wanting beef almost burnt because he was so afraid of "underdone". Most of us are like you are.

Your breathing helps, how very, very hard it must be to have so many hoops to jump thu to get what you need so badly. Hope the insurance will help you out.

Gayle Bet you enjoyed the time to "CHOOSE" what to do rather than taking care of Maddie, even as much as you love her. Sometimes it feels good to get time to do as we please.

Today was Bible Study and we had such interesting discussions about the ways Jewish thought approached some issues. For example, so many of USA people refuse to follow ANY laws that they can avoid. The Ten Commandments are treated like the ten suggestions. Also, fear of the Lord was discussed as some told they use other words when reading Old Testament words such as these. Fr. John mentioned that the Wisdom literature we were studying was written before Jesus Christ was here and helped us understand our Heavenly Father better.

This evening I got to visit with a special woman that works with me on phone calls from the Church. We hadn't talked in ages, and I loved the chance to spend time with her.

We had almost 3 inches rain earlier one day this week so our pots do NOT need watering yet.

Hope all is OK with each of you, Sandy
Closed Thread