Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #136  

Height: 5'3"

I haven't felt very good today...not really sick but heartburn (I have GERD) and very tired. I think the family issues haven't helped and I feel too tired to have a BBQ on Monday. No one really says they want it, altho one has expressed disappointment, but the anger is still there between kids and our dd will be at the coast, moving into her new house so maybe it's best to just not do it this year. We are considering going to the Rose Festival but I'm also thinking I wouldn't mind just staying home and resting. But who knows by then I may feel a lot differently.

We went to our gs' karate class this morning, then to Home Depot for weed killer. So many weeds in our yards! The flowers are pretty but the weeds never stop. They were giving away free hot dogs there so that was our lunch.
Since I got home, I have weekly cleaned the living room and also moved the sofas out, vacuumed getting up close the baseboards. Then realized that was not scheduled for this week. Oh well, it's done, perhaps I'll skip it when it does come up or do the family room instead. The family room has not been cleaned this week, however I did run a vac quickly over the carpet a time or two. While looking for a vacuum accessory, I ended up clearing out the floor of my cleaning closet. It contains a large plastic cleaning caddy (which I never use but is filled with stuff) and a large bag of rags. I pulled it all out and swept (even some broken glass there) and put rags, that had spilled out, back in the bag. I also divided up the vac accessories into what belongs to my Dyson and what belongs to my Shark. I was going to give away the ones for my Shark as it has a cracked wand and although it is now taped, I really doubt I will be using it much longer. Then I thought I might get another one and perhaps the same attachments will fit it. I don't want one of there newer models...I've tried them and they are too heavy and don't work as well as my Dyson. I want one like I have ...light and easy to move around but I think they do have a cheaper model that might be like that. I remember when I bought my Shark they talked me into purchasing the extra accessories and I have hardly used any of them, but at least they came in a nice bag that hangs in the closet so they can be kept neat if I put them all in the bag. The Dyson ones are fewer but tend to be all over the floor of the closet.

Tonight I'm fixing Chinese Chicken and Mushrooms with rice. Not sure about another vegetable. I'm so tired I don't really want to cook at all. Son and fam are passing this dinner up which I expected.

I recently reconnected with a great-niece on FB. Last time I saw her she was just a child and now she is a grown woman expecting her 4th child. Yesterday I asked her for her mom's email (my niece), and today she sent it to me. So I plan to contact her soon. We used to email a lot but kind of lost track several years ago when she moved back with her x-dh, but they've been separated again for several years now. Even though she is my niece, she is only five years younger than I. My brother who died a few years ago, is her dad.

Sandy - I suppose in colder climates like yours there is a need for "seasonal" clothes storage. Here, not so much...at least not for me. My dh sometimes packs away some things but I wear about the same year round. In fact I keep a heavier coat AND an fur coat in my closet year round. I never wear the fur coat just keep it cause dh gave it to me. Our winters are usually pretty mild although we do have a few weeks of cold and usually rainy weather, it has been even more mild the last few years. I don't go out a lot and there are winters when I only wear the heavy coat a few times, usually just slipping on a light jacket instead. Dh does wear his heavy coats pretty often though. It's strange because I remember in the past wearing a warm coat quite a lot, but I was then out and about daily, didn't have hot flashes and we went out at night, something we rarely do anymore. Funny how life changes.

Glynne - I sure hope things work out well for your son. These kids sure give us plenty to pray about! They are forever our babies.

ETA: My weight dropped back down to my sig weight again this morning. Hopefully I will be on a lower up/down range now. I hope, I hope...

Last edited by maryea; 05-28-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Sandy, I live in your general area but I don't really change my closet over for the seasons. The only thing I put away is my capris in winter. I know I won't be wearing them. I only own 1 sweater and usually wear it only once a year, so it's always in my drawer. I wear either short sleeve tops or 3/4 sleeve, and I keep them both in my closet year round. Sometimes in the winter I will wear a short sleeve top with a jacket, or even a tank top. And in the summer I will occasionally wear a 3/4 sleeve top if it's not real hot. I keep my heavy winter coat and also my light jackets in the coat closet all year round. I rarely get cold, except when I'm outside.

Gayle, I hope your son is able to find a better job that he can do. I know it hurts you to see this happening with him.

Mary, my step-children never come around on the summer holidays. My step-son and his family are at this in-laws for the long weekend. My step-daughter and husband spend these holidays with friends. They are all drinkers, and it's boring for them at our house. LOL That's fine with me. Less work, and we are free to go and do what we want or stay home and relax. I will make a small portion of potato salad. We will cook hot dogs and hamburgers, just a couple for ourselves, and I will open a can of baked beans. I forgot we bought some corn on the cob, so we will have that, too. They say that kids usually grow up doing what they see at home, but we were never drinkers. DH buys a case of beer around Christmas and it last us until the next Christmas. LOL They got this drinking from their friends.

I don't clean on a schedule like you do, Mary. I clean when the room starts to look like it needs it. DH has been doing the vacuuming since 2008 when I had my heart surgery. I did it a few days ago, and it seems like the sweeper we have isn't picking up like it should. We have 2, one that we use in the gameroom downstairs and the one we use upstairs. Then recently DH saw one at Goodwill that was similar to ours and he bought it. The hose was clogged on it. He cleaned it out and it works good. I'm going to see if if picks up better than the one I'm using now and maybe I'll switch it out.

Hoping Karrine is doing well. I miss hearing from her, but she's probably very busy with Nan.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #138  

We are alone right now. I took a 2 hr nap...didn't sleep the whole time but think I got a few Zs. I just needed to escape for a while and rest. We went to church this morning, and then out to eat at a Thai restaurant. I know it was probably exceptionally good Thai restaurant but really it is just not my kind of food. Unless I can find something that sounds better, I usually get a yellow curry which contains potatoes. They only cook the potatoes about 1/2 done, but I love potatoes so they still help me eat the food. The chicken was also very tender and tasty..really nothing wrong with the dish, I ate all the potatoes, some chicken and sauce and brought the rest home for dh to eat for supper tonight. Our problem is we are running out of restaurants to try that sound good and are in our area. Most of the time we don't want to drive so far. For dinner tonight I ate some leftover pizza rolls the kids had left.

They went to look at a house this morning, but I'm not sure where they are right now. The adults went out last night after the kids were in bed, leaving us to babysit a couple hours. One woke up right after they left but went back to bed when I told her to. She cried a little while softly but soon fell asleep.

Carol - I clean by schedule because if I don't there are things I would never clean. Even when I miss some tasks I get more of them done than I ever would the other way. I've tried it your way but I would always find something else to fill my time, and this way keeps me more on top of it. I'm the kind that loves to declutter and organize but not so much for cleaning if I don't make myself do it.

Back to buying Lularoe again...I may have mentioned I ordered a black and white kimono and yesterday I ordered a blue/gray skirt and a light teal top. Bought these from another consultant who is in my dd's line. My dd just arrived at her new house with the U-haul and won't be ready for business until later this week probably.

I'm feeling sleepy again...need to get outside for some fresh air perhaps. Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #139  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

It was a sunny day today. Kind of a quiet day here ~ quiet is good That was good after yesterday. It was a long day of errands. It would have been kind of a long day anyway, but was made longer because several of the major roads into and out of our community were closed because of flooding from the recent rain. Traffic was all backed up and just creeping along in some places.

Got some stuff done ~ puttery kind of stuff. Straightened up and put stuff away. Gave Steve a haircut. I had finally gotten the kitchen desk cleared of clutter a few weeks back and am trying to keep it from getting cluttered up again. My meds from the mail order place and the papers that come with them were on there, so I got those taken care of. I was checking the meds to make sure I have enough. Discovered that when we went to the new PCP, she did not get one of my meds ordered correctly. She ordered it once a day and it is a twice a day med. Good thing I caught it before it was time to order again. Gotta call and get that straightened out. Cooked a spaghetti squash. Swept the kitchen floor. Phew ~ now taking a rest.

After several days of mom not being up to talking, today she was more like her normal self and I got to talk with her. The nurse had mom right beside her at the nurses station so she could be right there if mom took a notion to try to get up on her own. They are so wonderful to their patients there.

Mary ~ glad you got to escape and rest a little. You probably needed it ~ the thing with your kids not getting along is tiring emotionally. I don't know if it is like this for you ~ but as much as I love my kids and grandkids, I just can't let go and relax while they are here. Glad to see them come, but glad when they go home too. Does that make me a bad mom/grandma?

Carol Sue ~ Your holiday weekend sounds like what ours will probably be like (minus the food). Sara and Maddie were invited to a friend's place for the weekend and Jason works, so no family get together. Sounds like it was going to be a nice opportunity for them (Sara and Maddie) ~ it is on a lake and has a pool also. There were gonna be other kids there that Maddie could play with. I kind of miss how it was on the holidays growing up ~ family get togethers. Picnics ~ bring a dish to pass. And on Memorial Day ~ I was in the high school band and we marched in the parades ~ 4 different locations ~ the little towns that were in our school system. The places I have lived since then have mostly been bigger places ~ it's just not the same.

Sandy ~ hope you and your family are having a nice weekend. Getting to spend some time enjoying your lovely yard?

Karrine ~ I hope you and Nan are hanging in there ok. Prayers continue.

Well, it has got to be almost bed time. Hope you all rest well.

Last edited by glynne; 05-30-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #140  

It's a beautiful warm day today 66 degrees now but supposed to get to 75. I got up late, but have gotten quite a bit done. After breakfast I weekly cleaned our bath and bedroom, and vacuumed the office carpet and down the hall quickly. I changed the sheets in the office too (where kids sleep), my son said I'm crazy to change the sheets weekly. Well I only change them if people have slept in them, and I think that's reasonable as everyone sweats some plus sometimes the kids get in bed with dirty feet. Actually they have been sleeping on them a few days longer than a week. I told my dil where the sheets are and asked her to change theirs when she can. Today they are going to the beach and am sure she will be tired when they get back.

I have one load of laundry in and another to put in. It's nice to have a really large washer tub in my new washer, otherwise this would be more loads. Then I deheaded one of the rhodies in our front yard. They sure didn't bloom long this year. The one in the back was late blooming and died within a few days! I hope to get to the rest of the deheading soon. Dh does so much in the yards, I like to do what I can/know how to do.

We were planning on going to the Rose Fest today but yesterday we got to thinking about it and realized it would be too much walking for dh. I'm glad we didn't go. It will be nice to have another quiet day here at home. Yes Glynne I'm like you...it's not so much that I can't relax and I do enjoy the kids but I also appreciate my time alone. I'm hoping (for both our sakes) they find a place of their own soon. I honestly didn't even mind that we aren't having a BBQ this year...I feel like I need a rest more. So our holiday will be kinda like yours and Carols too. We have the flag out and I did talk to the kids about why we celebrate Memorial Day. The almost 10 year old knew a little about it (probably from school), the 3 and almost 4 year old didn't listen. but at least I tried. I think too many parents do not even talk about these things anymore.

My weight has been stable at my sig weight last few days. I hope that is a good sign of the direction I am going. I feel full most of the time, but I do have some cravings...like I crave cinnamon candies, like Hot Tamales...but I so far have been able to ignore it or eat something else. I'm learning though that the something else does not satisfy so why consume those extra calories

Glynne - Good thing you checked the med bottles. We have to take care of ourselves, as mistakes are made sometimes. Since you knew you probably would have taken it correctly but then you would have run out sooner. I have to watch it when they change the dosage in the tablet...like at one time I was taking two tablets twice a day of Metformin so it was 1000 mg each time. Then the new doctor switched it to 1 tablet of 1000 mg. I saw it was a different shape but it wasn't much bigger so I just kept taking 2! Then I realized he had changed the order and I was taking double what I was supposed to take! Didn't make a bit of difference in my bs though. With some meds if you take up to a certain amount, taking more doesn't have any effect. I noticed that with Amaryl also. Up to 2 mg helped but when I took 3 or even 4, I saw no difference other than I gained a few pounds.

Hope you all have a nice (even if quiet) Memorial Day and enjoy the blessings we have in this country!

Last edited by maryea; 05-30-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #141  

So happy to report I was down 1# this morning! Only a pound but it's the first weight below my sig weight I've had in a few months. We didn't get much sleep last night so we didn't go to the gym. Supposed to get very hot today...90...so hopefully dh will get Halo bathed. Otherwise I plan to clean the family room since I missed it last week. I'd like to move furniture and give it a more thoroughly vacuuming..the sofa in there is heavy though so may not be able to move it much. I can move the chairs though. The kids came back from the beach all sandy so I probably should vac the whole house too but will see what I get done. For dinner, I have some chicken I need to cook...haven't decided how yet though.

Yesterday after the kids left we went to lunch at Sweet Tomato. Haven't been there for a long time and we had some coupons. Ended up it was Senior Day and it was cheaper without the coupons though. I'm not crazy about their food but it was ok and a change.

Need to get started...dh is waiting to have devotional time with me, plus I need to do some budgeting before starting the cleaning. What and exciting life I live...LOL...but I love my life.

Take care everyone...have a good week!

Last edited by maryea; 05-31-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #142  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

It was sunny earlier in the day ~ but now is pouring down rain. Better today than yesterday at this time.

Yesterday was grandson Corbin's high school graduation. It was nice weather for the most part. The sky looked iffy, but thankfully the rain held off until it was almost over, and even then it was just gently raining and not pouring down. So we were able to get back to the cars with umbrellas and didn't get soaked. Actually, except for the cloudy sky and sprinkles, it was a nice night ~ not terrible hot and humid like it can sometimes be. It was held in a venue where they have big name concerts. Part of it is covered and part of it is lawn seating. (We are lucky to have such a facility so close to home (about 6 miles). They announced that there was lightening and storms not too far away and encouraged those who were seated on the lawn to get underneath the covered area. The seats in the covered area had been kept for the families of the (950 or so) graduates who had been given tickets. Others had to sit in the lawn seating area. They had set up seats that they usually rent out (if you do not rent a seat, you bring your own blanket to sit on), so that was nice. But at that point, they knew there were a lot of seats that had not been taken, so they came up into the lawn area and told people to follow them ~ that they would help you find seats. So, we got to move to the covered area. They had big screens like they do at the concerts, so you could see your graduate go up and get their diploma. It was a very nice ceremony.

We met Sara and Corbin before the ceremony and had dinner. Sara was trying to make it a special night for Corbin. The food at the restaurant is the kind that looks like a work or art. We shared tastes with each other. I have to confess that I ate dessert. Sara ordered kind of a sampler plate of little desserts after the main courses. Corbin had already left to go get lined up for the ceremony. Sara only tasted, Steve (who is always perfect on his diet) didn't want any. Maddie ate one of the little ice cream sandwich cookie things. There was a little cheese cake, she gave me a taste, but she finished that, as it is her favorite. Maddie tasted the other thing and didn't especially care for it, so I finished the couple things that everyone else didn't want. It was pricey stuff and just little things, so hated to waste it.

That is the kind of situation actually that is perfect for me to have something off plan. It was just small amounts and I wouldn't make a pig of myself in public. So, kind of a controled situation. I don't regret that I splurged a little.

School for Maddie has been extended until Friday. Instead of having to make up days for snow like they have to up north, our kids had to make up days missed because of the flooding we had.

Mary ~ way to go on the 1#. You're getting there.

Hello Sandy, Carol Sue and Karrine. Everyone must be busy.

The pictures here are: #1 The venue where the graduation ceremony was held. #4 is a view on the inside. #2 is Sara, Maddie and Corbin at dinner. #3 is Corbin's girlfriend Claire, Sara and Corbin. #5 is the sampler plate of the fancy little desserts
Attached Images
File Type: gif the cynthia woods mitchell pavilion.gif (56.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg resized again 2.jpg (42.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 248 resized.jpg (32.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 240 resized.jpg (31.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 119 resized.jpg (23.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by glynne; 06-01-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #143  

The graduation sounds great and I can imagine how proud you are of Corbin. You have beautiful children/grandchildren. Enjoyed the pictures. Corbin kind of makes me think of one of my gs though he is a little older at 23. He's a really good kid too. He doesn't look Filipino at all but yet has a slightly different look about him and has dark brown hair and eyes. That restaurant dessert looks really fancy! It made me think of a restaurant in Baja California we went to quite a lot on one trip. They decorated the plate that way esp the desserts I remember That's what I love about traveling...I actually forget a lot of our travels but then something will trigger a memory and I'm glad I have that. BTW, I'm glad you had dessert, you should when your gs has graduated! Doesn't happen every day!

Where are you Carol, Sandy? Is this little group going to die out?...hey, I'm doing my part.. Guess with the nice weather everyone is perhaps working outside more (esp Sandy) and then tired.

Been babysitting a couple gc. They were good and even though I didn't get much sleep last night, I felt pretty good today. Off and on I'd feel really tired but the kids kept me going and sometimes when I have that pressure to keep going, I actually get more done! I cleaned the spare bedroom and the hall. Then I swept the front walkway, and mat and wiped down the door, and light.
Later when the sun was not so strong, I cleaned all the windows on the back side of the house, then pulled lots of weeds in an area dh had not gotten to. After that I rested a bit then fixed Baked Cod, and a corn and broccoli casserole for dinner. The kids weren't here for dinner which is good because they wouldn't have liked it. I didn't like the casserole but the fish was ok. Dh said I didn't salt it enough and he was right but it wasn't bad.

Today I reconnected by email with a niece of mine. She is only five years younger than I. We used to email a lot but she isn't on FB and we eventually lost touch.

Got my three Lularoe items I recently purchased. I love the kimono and the skirt and I think I like the top. Haven't tried it on yet. I was showing my gd my Lularoes in my closet and she was impressed by my closet. In fact she took a picture of it! I think it was all the colors because I organize them in categories and then within the categories from dark to light. I learned that from that organizing book I read and I do kinda like it that way.

Well I've been rambling...hope I haven't bored you terribly. Take care and have a good evening.

Last edited by maryea; 06-01-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #144  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

So quiet here. I hope you all are doing well and that it is just that you are having a busy time right now.

It is another dreary day here today ~ I guess it is supposed to rain again sometime today.

I am supposed to be going down to Jason's to help him cut up his vegetables. He packages up into individual zip lock bags ~ baby carrots, celery sticks and sugar snap peas. It is not really that he needs help, it is just a chance to get to visit him and it helps save him some time, so I'm glad to do it. His days off from work go by too fast. It is two days, but if any of you have worked or lived with someone who works night shift, two days end up being only one day ~ you lose time at the beginning of the days off because you have to sleep first after having worked, then you lose time at the end of the days off because you have to sleep to get ready to go back to work.

Anyway, I am supposed to be going down to his place after he wakes up today, but I am kind of hesitating. It is supposed to rain again today and I worry a little bit that with all the rain and how easily and quickly it floods around here, that I will get stranded down at his place.

Having kind of a sad time ~ mom is declining ~ the progression that happens when a person has dementia. She isn't eating well, has to be fed now. Doesn't realize when she has to go to the bathroom anymore. She isn't able to or even wanting to talk on the phone anymore. So, talking to the nurse about if maybe hospice would be something that would be appropriate for mom. She said yes it would. So now trying to get the guardian to arrange that. Sigh.....
Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #145  

Was hoping to sleep in a bit longer this morning, but that was not meant to be...anyway it's a beautiful sunny morning...supposed to get to 89 today....so I might as well be up enjoying it. Only one kid has school today so that makes it a little easier for dh. I plan to weekly clean the living room today. Then hope to get to some decluttering done but depends on the how busy the kids keep me. My weight was down another 1/2# this morning...perhaps these kids are my best "exercise program!"

Glynne - You are probably with your son...enjoy it. I think it's great that he does that with his veggies...many young men don't think about things like that. I know it's still on your mind but I am glad too that you have a gardian to help you with your mom. Have you talked with your sister yet about the hospice thing? I hope she can accept that it is time.

Sandy - Are you busy in your garden? Hope you are ok.

Last edited by maryea; 06-03-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #146  

Height: 5' 2"

Gayle So sorry that your mother is declining so rapidly. Hope you can get Hospice help. Tell us more how that works if you get help.

Mary Sure agree that taking care of grandchildren is good exercise. I used to do that and weight wasn't a problem. When we started the business out of the house and I was stuck in chair so many hours, the weight began to come back on. After retirement I've climbed still more.

I've really cut back on my food and increasing movement but weight isn't cooperating much.

CarolSue Agree that the 3/4 sleeves on shirts means "year around" to me also. I also have short sleeve ones I wear around the house but rarely outside the yard. I also have heavy fleece that I use in cold weather because I get very cold whenever I sit beyond a 1/2 hour. Also some of the places I go for meetings is cooler than we keep our house and I need extra layer. Never wear shorts or capris. Right now I'm in sleeveless inside our warm house as we try to increase AC temperature. Gotta cut somewhere. Thank goodness for the retirement we do have, but income and outgo seem to match. Miss having ability to save some of our income. We are assisting 2 kids. Hope each will be able to absorb more of their own expenses or get second job .

Front yard Oval garden turned out even better than I hoped. Was exhausted after removing the Pansies, weeding it all, adding extra soil, planting 24 Vinca in white, then mulching it all. 3 days later all looks very, very good and I'm happy.

This morning I weeded lots on back fence line - over 30 minutes of bending, weeding, and filled a 5 gallon bucked full after mashing down to add the last bit. Now it is way too hot and the AC feels good even at 77 degrees to 78 degrees in the west room.

Our son is moving and he and his wife gave us their cemetery lots that they won't need when they move 5 states away. Shocked at the costs of things and hope we go at the same time. The costs from when our son bought the plots till now is enormous!!! Income hasn't kept up at all.

DH went out to lunch with 3 former Engineers he worked with before he retired. They had such a good time talking and remembering. Each now works at a different place so it won't be often that the 4 of them will meet again.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #147  

I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted. It's a good feeling to know that I had something else to do besides sit at the computer! LOL I think I get online and post in one thread, then there's something I have to do and I don't get back for the other ones.

Today I went to the cardiologist, and I made sure I actually saw him, and not the PA. I wanted to discuss my blood pressure with him. My top number is high and bottom number is low. it runs around 150/60. They want the top number lower, and sometimes it is, but then the bottom number goes lower, too. He said it is not anything to worry about, that he doesn't think it will go low enough to be a problem. The reason for it is because my valve is leaking, but they are aware of it and check on it with the echocardiograms, so he is not worried. He says it is a good sign that the bottom number is low. I have a lot of confidence in his knowledge, so I will not worry about it. He stressed exercise, exercise, exercise and we agreed that weight loss would improve my BP and BG. I will have a routine stress test next week and I hope they don't find anything, but I would rather have them find something before I have a heart attack.

Gayle, nice pictures. You have a nice family. I can't believe all the flooding in Texas. Sorry to hear that your mother is declining. I am curious to know what Steve had for dinner when you went out for the graduation.

I found your prescription error interesting. Are you sure the doctor made the mistake? Or was it the mail order pharmacy? I wonder if it's the company I worked for, Express Scripts. I know from working there that they pushed so had for speed that it was very easy to make a mistake. I remember one mistake I made that was pretty serious. The person was supposed to take a water pill every other day. QOD. The script was hand written and the way the doctor wrote it, looked like QD with a little tiny o in between, that looked like a period. Also, he wrote it for a 90 day supply, without stating the quantity, which would have been 45, not 90. Some doctors write "qty 45 for a 90 day supply" which makes it clearer. I typed it in wrong, and the pharmacist who reviewed the order also didn't catch the error, convincing me even more that the error was due to the way the doctor wrote the script, but I was held responsible because I entered it. The woman got the meds and took one every day instead of every other day and had side effects. The problem wasn't caught until it needed renewed and went out to the doctor for approval. When they showed me the original script magnified it was clear that it was QOD, but it wasn't clear at the normal size. So I'm wondering where your error actually occurred. We were under the gun to do a certain number of orders per hour. I wonder about older people who don't realize how they are to take their meds and assume that the bottle is right. Also, the bottle could contain the wrong pills. One time I questioned my pharmacy because the pills looked different from what I usually take and the girl reamed me out. Now, if they are different, they put a sticker on the bottle stating that the pills look different from what you usually take.

Mary, your GD would laugh at my closet. Everything is jammed in there every which way. I would love to have it organized.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #148  

We are getting estimates for siding. I thought I had saved approx 2/3 of the cost so wanted to get more of an idea. This was our first true estimate because the other salesman didn't even measure, just eyeballed it! This guy was great...he's the owner of the company, rated very high all over (I've done quite a lot of research), and we were impressed with his presentation. However I have only saved about 1/2 of the total cost. We explained our situation to him and he said he can hold the price for 5 months to give us more time to save. We have another person coming in a few days so we will see what he says. We told today's guy were still getting another estimate and he said they are a good company too. Even that makes me like him...so many will tear down other companies and he wasn't like that at all. So it may be next fall or winter before we can get it done who knows.

I want to go back to MO to visit my sis and sil this year at some point but now with so many living in my house, I don't want to leave and with this siding thing too, I don't know how it's all going to work out. Just have to take it a month at a time and keep saving.

It is nice to have all my housework done for the week and have a Sat to do other things. Doesn't mean my house looks really nice and clean right now...LOL..but just means I did it. The kids mess up the house about as quickly as I can clean it. Today I have only done a few daily tasks but will try and quickly vac the rooms that need it and mate up socks in my sock bag. Really satisfies my OCD tendency when I find matches!

Last night we went to a new Mexican restaurant, called Margarita Land. It was ok, better than many but not great either. Maybe we are getting too picky Can't find restaurants that really impress us anymore. I did have an alcoholic beverage there, first I've had in a long time..a pina Colada and it was good and was better than many places here make. The very best Pina Coladas I've drank are those in Cabo though. Before I drank it I looked on line about Amaryl. It said it's best not to drink with it. So I only had one but it was served in a large goblet and I ordered the small! I'd already ordered it so I drank it but didn't take my Amaryl until about an hour later. Did notice some chest pain (one of the symptoms) but it was around my hernia so not sure whether it was the alcohol or just the fact I felt too full after the meal. I honestly did not eat that much though...I only ordered a Mexican Pizza (appetizer) and ate maybe 1/3 of it and shared dessert with dh..and it was so large we couldn't eat it all. Dh for a change ate more that me because I felt too full! Strange how full I feel all the time anymore...maybe it's just the fiber I consume but it's never made me feel that full before.

Because we had the appt this morning we didn't get to our gs' martial arts class, and they are still out. Dh went to Home Depot to get something to repair the door to the under the house space, so I am alone right now. Feels kinda good as usually the kids are keeping me busy. Not sure what we will have for dinner though so need to figure that out. Last night our son made dinner for him and kids and then they went to a movie, so it felt like dh and I sorta had a date night.

Carol - Glad to see you post, missed you. So glad also that you've seen your heart doctor! It's good that you have confidence in him. Helps a lot. Interesting about your work for Express Script. We get most of our regular meds from them. In the past we really liked the service, but not as much recently. The doctors office has lots of trouble with them because they are so picky...like there has to be a separate order for everything...understandable with meds...but the glucoscan meter is one order, the strips are another and the lancets are another....even alcohol wipes are another! If the doctor doesn't include one part of this in the order, they call them a second time, then notify us and we have to get after the doctor. I told them we didn't even need the alcohol wipes so at least that one was dropped. But then we've also had problems with the doctor's office...we have three pharmacies, and even though we tell them they will sometimes send the prescription to the wrong place. They are getting better about that now I think though. I wish we didn't have so many pharmacies to confuse them but that's the way it works out best for us.

Carol, I'm just an organizing junkie. I love to organize...better than cleaning house. And I'm never satisfied that my house is organized enough. Right now I'm looking at two stacks of papers on my desk and wishing I could get it all taken care of in some way. I've been too busy with family.

Sandy - I think you are one tough cookie to be able to do all that gardening...I would not be able to do it that long. Dh does, he does it for hours only recently learning he needs to stop and rest every hour or so, but he gets back to it. He's stronger than me even at his age. It just depends on what we are doing. Nice your son gave you their cemetery plots because yes, they are expensive. We bought ours many years ago when they were cheaper but still had to make payments (we were NOT debt free in those days!). We still have not visited them even though we say we will. We just trust they will still be there for us as promised Nice that your dh was able to get together with former co-workers. Dh has a retiree meeting once a month where he joins with many other military people..some who worked with or nearby him in his working days. He enjoys it.

Well, by now I have had lunch...ate most of the rest of my restaurant leftovers...too rich for me so again I got full fast. That's the way rich food does me anymore. Guess it's a good thing although I usually just eat something lighter after. It's like I just get tired of the too rich (like cheesy) taste but still want something more. This fullness though is helping me do better on my eating and that and the med is helping my bs and my weight. I was up 1 1/2# this morning but think it is the sodium from the restaurant foods. Hopefully after the weekend (might go out again tomorrow, not sure) I can get it back down again. One good thing is after last nights' restaurant meal I was so full and tired (maybe partly the alcohol), I couldn't snack while watching TV.

Hope you all enjoying the weekend.

Last edited by maryea; 06-04-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #149  

After talking to my doctor I have decided to put a more concentrated effort into weight loss. I looked back in my records and in 2011 I was 20 lbs lighter, and my BP and BG were both in a better range. I would like to be at that weight again, and it's not some unreachable goal. I would also like my waistline to be what it was then, 5 inches smaller. After my abdominal surgery, I don't know if that is attainable. I eat a pretty healthy diet now, but I do sneak some things in here and there that are probably keeping me from dropping the weight. And I know I'm lacking in exercise. So it's up to me to make the necessary changes and be more diligent. I'm only kidding myself that I'm doing that now.

Sandy, we were posting at the same time. We never bought cemetery plots for that reason, in case we move away. I have to laugh at that because we have both lived within 10 miles of here all our lives. LOL The only place I would want to move to now is the eastern shore, and that's not going to happen.

I could never spend the time you do in the garden, that's why I'm looking to get rid of some of the flower beds. I don't have the agility to take care of them properly. Other than cutting grass and trimming shrubs, DH doesn't do any yard work. He is busy all the time with the house and cars, and once he starts something he goes for hours until it's finished, and ends up exhausted and sore by the end of the day. He will not stop and take a rest. I was surprised this week when he had trouble changing brakes on one of the cars, he did the front one day and the back the next. It's not like him to stop before he's finished. Me? I'm always taking a rest. Too often, in fact.

Mary I am the exact opposite of you with organizing. As much as I try, I am not good at it. I would like my house to look all nice and neat all the time, but I think we have accumulated too much stuff. DH doesn't like me to get rid of anything, so I have to sneak some things into the trash and hope he doesn't discover it.

When I worked at the pharmacy it was Medco. It became Express Scripts after I left. At that time I never discussed my employment online because they were very picky about things like that, but now I can. I only get a couple prescriptions from them now. The others I get at Target pharmacy since I'm there often. My copay for generic is now $0, so I don't save money going through mail order. One time, for reasons unknown, my doctor's office called in my prescription to the drugstore next door to Target. I was so surprised when they called me and said they had a prescription for me. I had never done business with them before. Even the doctor didn't know how that happened. His staff is mostly all part time people and he has a big turnover, so they probably don't know what they're doing. LOL

I worked at Medco for 9 years and overall, I liked it. But I was so surprised at how many mistakes are made in pharmacies. It's scary, especially for older people who don't understand what meds they are to be taking. The people I talk to who still work there tell me that Express Scripts is harder to work for.

Target pharmacy has been taken over by CVS and I'm not sure I like them. I always liked Target and trusted them, but I've already had some issues with CVS. They kept the same pharmacists, but my scripts are not always ready when they say they will be. For so many years I didn't take any meds and didn't realize what a hassle it can be.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #150  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

The sun kind of comes and goes so far today.

Got to spend Friday visiting Jason ~ helped him cut up his vegetables and apples for his lunches. Not that he can't do that himself, it just is an opportunity to visit him while I do that and it frees him up to cook the other stuff he puts in his lunches.

The last day of school for Maddie was on Friday. She'll be in the 3rd grade when school starts up again in the fall. Gotta figure out some stuff for her to do this summer so she doesn't spend too much time on the iPad.

Yesterday, I worked on cutting out the pattern pieces to make a dress and matching doll dress for little granddaughter Evie for her birthday in July. I wanted to get going on it so to be sure to have it done in time. So, I got all the pieces cut out, hoping to start sewing on it today.

Carol Sue ~ glad that your check up with the cardiologist was good. And good for you getting started again on losing weight for your health. You can do this!!!! I need to follow in your foot steps ~ like the spending less time on the computer part. We miss you when you don't post, but understand that less time sitting at the computer will help you reach your goals.

Sandy ~ I agree with Carol Sue about your gardening ~ that is hard work ~ I couldn't do that for the length of time you put into it. I'm sorry for your frustration about your weight ~ that you have cut down on the food, increased your activity and that the weight is stubborn to come off. You would think all the hard work you do in your gardens would help somehow.

Mary ~ The man who came about your siding sounded like a really good guy. Hope you can get a good deal. I hope so too for you to be able to get to go visit your sister and sis-in-law. I don't know if I could keep up with little ones like you are doing ~ but I guess we do what we have to do.

Thinking of you Karrine ~ prayers for you and Nan continue.

Topic of the pharmacy ~ we never had express scripts or medco. I can't remember what we had when we lived in NC. It was a mail away place and seemed good ~ there weren't problems that I can remember of and ordering the meds online was easy. I was able to do it myself. Of course I had fewer meds back then. Maybe because I have a lot more meds now is what makes it so hard ~ so much more complicated.

Carol Sue ~ as far as the mistake that was made on my med, I'm not sure where along the line the mistake was made. The prescription was submitted electronically, so I don't think it was a hand writing thing. Maybe the way it was worded made the way it was interpreted tricky.

We had CVS Caremark for a while here and it seems that every single time, there was some kind of a problem. Now we have Prime Mail ~ Steve says it is much better. I don't know ~ he says the ordering is really easy, but I don't do it ~ he does it for me. I don't know if things are hard, or if he makes it hard because of the way he does things. But even with Prime we run into problems sometimes. Not sure if it is the pharmacy, or the pharmaceutical companies. Right now we are trying to obtain a med that our doctors have ordered for us. The insurance says they won't cover it. It is some kind of special vitamin so falls into some special category. Steve has spent all kinds of time trying to iron this out. We finally thought we had found it at Sam's Club ~ they said the insurance said it was covered. Steve said he'd believe it when it happened. Well, they only had part of the quantity of what was ordered. It had a certain pharmaceutical ID number ~ and it was covered. They got the rest of the med ~ same exact med, but the pharmaceutical company had assigned a new number to it and now it isn't covered. Get so tired of the “games” they seem to play ~ with these meds and the price gouging that goes on.

Here comes the sun again. Guess I'd better get off and see if I can't get started on that sewing project.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

Last edited by glynne; 06-05-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Closed Thread