Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #46  

Height: 5' 2"

Gale Glad you finally got rid of all that rain that haunted you. Ramps are a strong type of wild onion. Actually taste good when cooked in a stir fry, but can make a person smell bad if eaten raw. One man enjoyed lots of raw Ramps on Sunday. When he came to work at the hospital they sent him home with pay till he could "get rid of the smell".

Mary You push yourself so hard, can you simply rest and feel comfortable about doing so?

Supposed to be doing housework today, but great weather enticed me to be outside instead. Transplanted hostas, planted some annuals in pots on patio near house. Rather early but with them close to brick house that gives off heat after the evening sun goes down, I bet they will be fine. Yellow and blue are my colors for the group of 6 pots in different heights. Love daisies, and the yellow one is rally a summer mum, but beautiful. I dead head it during summer, but easy with them being in pots and I don't have to bend down so far.

Time to shower, change sheets and relax. Sandy
Old 04-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #47  

Height: 5'3"

LOL Sandy, I don't feel I work that hard..some days more than others but never truly hard...dh works much harder than I. I actually sit a lot, too much. If I showed down anymore I'd be even fatter than I am. But thanks for thinking of me. So far this morning all I've done is get the trash and garbage ready for dh to take out and daily clean our master bedroom and make our bed. Oh and I also made up a weekly menu and grocery list because we plan to shop today. I do like a productive day and I like a clean organized house and try to maintain that even though our old house needs lots of work done to look good.

Your plants sound so beautiful..our front yard is really blooming too. I love spring but can't say I contribute much to the beauty, as dh does it all. I pull a few weeds not and then, do some deheading when needed, and there are a few plants I cut back in the fall, but that's about it. I encouraged him to fertilize more and I do think that has helped.

I went ahead and used my Sleep essential oil because I honestly do not believe it is the oils that are making my bs go up, at least I hope not since they do seem to help me. My bs was down to a more normal high at least this morning. I will try harder to watch my portion sizes at meals...I think I've been eating more than I should. Dieting is sure not easy. I am not sure what to expect from my A1C...I thought it would be lower but now I'm not sure.

Hope you are all doing ok.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #48  

Just got home from grocery shopping. Dh decided not to go with me as he is so busy in the yard...he was mowing the grass when I left, when I came home, he was planting the garden. I wish I could keep up with him. And if I don't have enough inspiration from him, this gives me even more. Lets all try to be like this lady, what do you say?!!
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/0...h&pgtype=Blogs
Old 04-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #49  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Mary ~ thank you for sharing that story ~ very nice. As one commenter said ~ Wow, just Wow.

It puts me to shame. Sigh......
Old 04-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #50  

Thank God for running water!!! Shower after gardening all day felt extra special. Lots of Annuals planted and the view from patio is very good. Made new area with new Hosta, Francis Williams. Put older one in Patio pot and part in a darker shade garden that needed the brighter look of very yellow/green Hosta.

To Nursery and were able to get a red Mandavilla that will fill the trellis behind the big pot it will be planted in. Gives privacy to us and to neighbor with pool. Patio Pots planted except for one that I'll need to find the plant I really want. Pictures of all gardens taken and labeled on the computer. I find it so helpful to see what grows well and make sure something isn't smothered, or simply inappropriate.

We went outside at 8:30 and except for normal bathroom time, spent outside till 5:30 pm when I came in for shower. Dh and I had a super good day together. I'm so lucky he enjoys it as much as I do.

Slept great last night and I'm sure to do same tonight. Tomorrow I go to Allergist for 6 months check up on Asthma. I'm really doing well.

Mary Glad you received good sleep And blood sugar more normal today. Thank goodness for your hubby doing all that yard work, too.

sandy
Old 04-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #51  

I have a doctor's appt in a little bit and I'm already just waiting til time to leave. I got the results of my labs yesterday and my A1C is 7.8! That is the highest it's ever been. I was really surprised as thought it would be about the same as last time or even slightly lower. So that will be the topic of this doctor visit I'm sure. My weight is down from last visit (7 lbs from MY scale) so will see what their scale says and whether he notices it. I think that shows I've tried at least.

I worked out with my DVD yesterday and did a little better. It is quite difficult for me though. I hate doing it because I get so tired, sweaty and sob but yet I do feel better and find myself doing some of the exercises later on in the day, just cause I want to. The stiffness is gradually going away.

Sandy, if I worked all day in the garden like you do, I'd probably die! You are a much harder worker than I am. I guess I just talk about my housework because that's pretty much my life. So far I am on target with my weekly tasks, yesterday I cleaned my son's room (what I can, it's still very crowded). I got sick of never being able to dust the chest of drawers because it's always covered, so since he no longer lives here and doesn't come back to sleep unless it is to take care of Halo when we travel, I put all his stuff that was there into a big box. So now he has three boxes on the bed and the chest of drawer looks nice. Makes me feel better anyway I think most of the papers are just junk but I won't throw anything away because it's his. I also was able to organize one corner of the garage a bit and threw away a few old cosmetics in my bathroom. Decluttering seems an endless task but I like throwing away stuff.

We had a very good dinner last night....I grilled (in cast iron grill skillet) a flat iron steak. Last time we had that steak dh had complained it was tough even though it's wasn't to me. But this time used a Montreal Steak seasoning in olive oil over it and grilled it only 5 min on each side and it was perfect...actually a little red for our usual taste, but it tasted great. I served it with stir-fried green beans (in small amt olive oil) and dribbled a tiny bit of soy sauce over. I had already cooked potatoes til almost done, then I added them to the green beans and kind of tossed them together until they were fully cooked. Very tasty and fortunately dh agreed. He is not easy to please these days and eats so little. He worked so hard yesterday in the yard and comes in almost too tired to eat. There were three slices of steak left and I slipped Halo one small piece cut in small pieces and put with her dog food...she loved it!

Ok, almost time to leave, will let you know how it goes..

Last edited by maryea; 04-27-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #52  

Just got back from my doctor's appt. He noticed I'd lost 7#!! So he knows I'm trying. He also knows how much I love carbs. So anyway he gave me a prescription for Januvia. It will take about 7-10 days before I get it (mail order) so I'm going to try taking one more Amaryl first. He doubts it will help me that much and it might make me gain weight but if it does, I'll stop it and start with the Januvia. I'm a little scared of it because of my previous doc not being a fan of it and I know it can cause pancreatitis and thyroid ca, but I'm willing to try it if I have to. Meantime I'll keep working on my diet and exercise.

Well need to get to other things..hi to Carole Sue, hope you are doing ok.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #53  

Just read this and thought of you, Carole Sue. Is this the way it feels like to have a night low bs? https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/w...s-like-266546/

I have the sweats and tingling (although mine are usually in my lower legs and feet but I thought it was my menopausal symptoms.
Never think to take my bs at that time.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good afternoon,
Nan is being discharged from the hospital today. I have to be there by 4 pm....her radiation treatment should be over by then. It is going to be really hectic for the next little while until I get used to all the extra care that she will need. I haven't slept well for many days now and am just resting before I have to leave. I probably won't be posting on a regular basis for while but will check in from time to time. Once again, please keep praying for her as she is slipping quite fast. Thank you for your prayers so far.
Karrine
Old 04-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #55  

I lost another pound so again down to my sig weight, so no new pounds but I am so glad to get down again. Of course, today is Pizza Night! Our son has declared a pizza night every Thurs. Being away so many years he loves when we all get together and it is usually with plenty food around. I am going to make a salad and whatever healthy food I can think of to supplement the pizza.

Yesterday I didn't get all my housework done but I did do a lot of decluttering. Got rid of 25 items of clothing from my closet and a couple drawers. My plan is to continue to go through all clothing including handbags and shoes and then tackle other things in the house. My body has changed, my life has changed, my viewpoint on many things has changed, it's a new beginning even if I am 73 and that has affected what I want around me. Working on my health is part of this adventure...I took an extra Amaryl yesterday as an experiment...I took it before lunch rather than in the morning. Couldn't see much difference yesterday and this morning my BS was only down a bit, still high, but will see how it goes. If I see no improvement or start gaining weight by the time I get the new prescription of Januvia, I will drop the extra amaryl and start taking it.

Karrine - I feel so sorry for both of you having to go through this difficult time. I am continuing to pray for both of you. I pray that you will have the strength you need to do what you have to do and serenity about what you cannot do or when it is time to stop. I pray for peace, rest and continue to pray for healing for Nan, however He chooses to do it. How old is Nan?

Must go now and get things done before the little ones come. How are you Carole Sue?

Last edited by maryea; 04-28-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good morning, everyone. My computer is not working right for some reason. It's really slow. When I type, sometimes I have to wait for the words to show up. Also, I cannot open the links you posted Mary, and they both seemed to be something that I want to read. Maybe I can come back later and open them. All I get is a blank white page when I click on them.

I have been trying to get myself more active. I wear this Fitbit all day and it rarely shows more than 2-3 thousand steps. I feel that I am addicted to the internet and sit here all day, and that's not good. I really enjoy it, but I have to be more active if I want to be healthy, like my screen name says (Wannabehealthy.) I don't necessarily mean more exercise, although I know I need it, but just moving around more throughout the day. So please don't worry about me if I'm not here every day like I used to be. I do miss you guys and it feels good to get in here once in a while and catch up on what everyone is doing. I read about all the things you are all doing and realize I am becoming like a bump on a log. LOL

Sandy,
I agree with Mary that you are very active working in your garden for so many house. I used to be like that, but I was in my 30s. LOL In fact, I am going to have DH remove one of my raised beds because I just don't have what it takes to keep it up. I can't stand to be out in the heat very much and I can't bend or kneel very well.

Mary, I think that it's great that your DH is so active and works so hard, even at his age. I really wish I could be like that.

I'm sorry to hear that your A1c was high. Mine was 8.5 last time and I think it will still be too high, but I'm hoping it at least goes into the 7s. I think that exercise DVD you are doing is probably helping you. I heard or read a joke somewhere recently....A guy told his doctor "I think I'm allergic to exercise. When I do it, I break out into a sweat, my heart starts beating harder, and I get out of breath. The next day, I'm so sore I can hardly move."

Gayle, even though you said that one link puts you to shame, I still think you do more than I do, just in daily activities. I am very sedentary.

Karrine, my heart goes out to you and Nan. It is so hard to watch someone you love go through so much and you can't really help her. At least you are there to be her friend and do whatever you can. I'm sure that means a lot to her. I believe in continuing to pray, as there is always hope.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #57  

About to go to see an eye doctor. He is not my regular opthalomogist but my eyes are hurting and the lubricating drops are not helping. I take them every two hours while awake and also have added some allergy drops even though I've been told I don't have allergies. My doctor recommended this just in case.
The pain in my left eye is becoming more severe...I can stand it but it's a bit concerning so I want it checked again.

The kids came over last night for Pizza Night and I ate too much pizza. I also ate salad and some strawberries and blueberries, so got too many carbs and my bs has been way high since. Why can't I learn? I knew I should only eat one piece or without the fruit maybe I could have had two but not all of it. I keep going against what I know to do or not to do. At least I didn't eat any breadsticks. They left them here but I'm not interested in them at least.

Babysitting went well and the day passed quicker than I expected. Sometimes children really wear me out and it seems like forever but it was ok this time. I enjoyed her. Toward the end she fell asleep so gave me a break then too.

Carole Sue- Perhaps you should see your cardio doctor. Maybe something is wrong. Even having your bs that high could affect you in ways you may not realize, like being tired and sluggish. We care about you, so do all you can to be healthy. I do enjoy my new exercise DVD even though it is very hard. I stop a lot and rest. The leader even encourages this. I may never get past the first part but at least I am moving and it is only 15 min every other day. I do find it energizes me and I feel the affects for a couple days. At first I was very stiff and sore but now that's over. Love the joke...sounds like me.

Well gotta finish getting ready as I have to leave soon. Tomorrow is dh's birthday and the boys are putting on a BBQ for him. Not sure what I'm contributing. Today dh and I are going to a Filipino restaurant as they are having a special we like. We will go for lunch, after my appt. Dh is still asleep...he was going to the gym, but maybe not now. Hes been working very hard outside and is very tired I think.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #58  

Mary Eye hurting is scary. Glad you are getting it checked. Keep us posted. Hope your hubby has a great birthday.

CarolSue I agree with Mary, it may be time for you to see your doctor. More energy would be a real help. Regarding steps, Often 3,000 steps is best I can do, but with gardening I reach and go beyond 5,000 easily. Don't blame you for simply demolishing the garden bed, if you get only pain instead of pleasure it certainly isn't worth it.

You all need to remember, I dearly love being outside this time a year. Lots of the time I'm in the shade in a chair. I don't go full force at all. We weed almost daily. Thank God for good rain for 2 days this week and the ground is feeling better, and plants are growing so fast. First PEONY bloomed today. 2 Pink ones in back garden and 1 YELLOW one in front that doesn't show because it is between 2 plants and they've grown so large!!! The white ones and the Red one should bloom tomorrow. We invited friends from the City to come Sunday afternoon to enjoy the Peony's and the Rhododendron that is starting to put on a great show. Even have 2 Clematis vines blooming, one in pink and white and one in beautiful blue. The forest Geraniums we put in years ago have spread across the back in part shade and look lovely in pinkish blue. Foliage looks good all year, too.

KarrinePrayers continue for Nan and for you, too. Sure hope she is able to recover. What did doctor tell her as she left hospital?

We went to Home Depot to get gardening supplies. DH had a credit card worth about $100 and it took most of it for mulch, special compost gardening soil for veggie garden, weed preventer, shovel, etc. A man who worked there had gray hair but he could pick up those heavy bags as if they were nothing!! He really helped us. I like to shop there where clerks can actually help and can find what I'm looking for. Some places the staff just points and may or may not be right.

Sandy
Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #59  

The doctor said my eyes are a little dry but not bad. He saw no sign of iritis which I didn't think there was but was glad to hear it from him. He gave me a prescription for Ibuprofen drops. Didn't know it came that way. My pharmacy won't have it in until Monday afternoon. I asked him about some other pain Im having...all usually mild but just wierd and all in the head area. I just had a crazy thought it might all be related. He said then that he was wondering about that possibility too (after I told him all the places). I think he said it could be something called trigeminal aphasia.

I think of the term aphasia as relating to not being able to speak but this kind causes pain in various places on one side of the face, like inside the mouth (I have pain in my left lower jaw frequently) and my left eye (right eye hurts some but not nearly as much), inside my ears (both), and on the mid-right side of my scalp. When I googled it it said it's all on my one side and my pain has some overlap but is mostly on the left. So I don't know. The pain is not severe, although now and then it does make me kinda wince esp my gum, eye and scalp. My scalp and ears do not hurt to touch but my eye does a little. It mostly is just wierd and makes me wonder what's causing it. So he said to try the ibuprofen and if that doesn't help to check back in a couple weeks.

Tomorrow is my dh's 81st birthday. The kids are planning a party for him. Not sure what I'm contributing. I have a brownie mix on hand I bought for some time the kids were here so may use that. Dh can't think of anything he wants so if all else fails I may just get some fried chicken, potato salad and baked beans. I know he likes all that. Waiting to hear what the kids are bringing Didn't get my house completely cleaned this week, so will want to at least mop the kitchen floor, maybe tonight or tomorrow morning.

We went to a Filipino restaurant today and he enjoyed it, although I didn't think it was the best really. Then we stopped at Lowes for some vegetable plants for the garden and also picked up a couple flowers for the yard, one is for hanging. I came home and lay down for a while although I didn't sleep.

You all have a good weekend. Still praying, Karrine.

Last edited by maryea; 04-29-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

have my regular cardiologist appointment already scheduled for May. I see him every 6 months. And when I had that 8.5 A1c my doctor increased my meds. My blood sugars have come down a good bit since then, but I have not had the next A1c done. My cardiologist gave me a script to get some blood work done before my appointment so I will probably get 1 A1c checked at that time. I don't feel tired or sluggish, I just get myself seated at this computer for long periods of time. I enjoy surfing the net, looking things up, posting on various forums. It is just not good for me. I realize I need to move more, especially at my age with my health issues. But I appreciate your concern.

Mary, hope you get to the bottom of the pain issues you are having. It sound scary.

Happy Birthday to Joe. I think we had this discussion last year.....today is also my niece's birthday. She's 48. LOL I remember the day she was born. Her parents were separated at the time and got back together when she was born but it was short lived. I always wondered how do you get pregnant when you're having marital problems? Trying to hang on, maybe.

My computer still isn't working right. 3FC comes up differently than it used to. The font on my email is different, bigger. I can google and it comes up, but when I click on a link it just comes up a blank white page. Have to figure this out. Maybe run my virus program.

Another problem I noticed. Yesterday and today when I tried to post my message, I got an error message that I was not permitted to perform that function, that I needed to log in. I looked up in the right hand corner and it says I'm logged in. I copied my post, then hit the back button, and I'm no longer logged in. I have to log in again, then come back and paste my post. Weird.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-30-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Closed Thread