Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #181  
my 1st baby "Pepe le Pew"

S/C/G: 276.8/272.2/health

Height: 5' 4"

Hello Golden Girls!

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for your warm welcomes and chit chats. Now that I have actually started my plan I have less time to be on the computer. This being said... it's been nice hanging out with you all... I am going to limit my time to the IP program forum and one other.

Good luck with your weight loss endeavors and God Bless you!
Gail
Old 02-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning everyone,
We are having a severe cold snap here for the next few days so I'll be staying inside as much as possible. Our pastor was talking about Lent at Ash Wednesday's service and the different things we can try to do during Lent, one of them being helping or giving to others. When I went out for a coffee yesterday I saw a young man begging for alms so I stopped the car and gave him $5.00 telling him to buy some food. He said he would and thanked me very much. Doing that sure made me feel good inside. I'm doing laundry and making beef stew today. Not sure if I'll lose any weight this past week as my portions were too high in what I did eat even though I didn't eat any junk food.

Carol Using your knee brace when shopping sounds like a good idea and worth a try. Your new car sure has some neat features and I like the idea of being warned if there is a car in your blind spot . My fridge is closed in at the back so I don't need to worry about dusting coils however, I am really bad as I haven't pulled it out in a few years because it is too hard to get it properly leveled again. I guess it would be a good idea to have my son-in-law help me do that the next time he visits from up north.

Mary I hope you get to use your time share points.

Sandy I sure am glad I don't live 12 miles from a store especially now that I am getting older and one day might need help to put in supplies.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 02-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I am going to rant, so if you don't want to read, scroll down to the next post. LOL

Since DH retired before I did he started doing a lot around the house. Helpful. And continues some still since I retired. One thing was laundry. He insists on washing everything in hot water and drying it in a hot dryer. I have told him repeatedly, not to touch my shirts and tops. I wash them in warm and dry on low, using the wrinkle out feature. He hates the wrinkle out feature saying the dryer runs for 2 hours. He's exaggerating. Yesterday I had 2 loads of colors. I went downstairs when I figured the first load would be finished washing, and here, DH had put them in the dryer on hot and they were done. All wrinkly, and some appeared to be smaller than they used to be. I went into the garage and reamed him out! I know I've told him at least 5 times not to touch them! Now he says he will never touch my clothes ever again, but he has said that before. I don't care if I do all the laundry myself, but will not stop him from doing jeans, whites, or towels. I don't know if he forgot that I told him over and over not to touch them, or if he did that for spite for some reason. Either way, we're over it. LOL

Rant over.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #184  

My knee felt great all day with wearing the brace. I forgot to put it on today. I started taking glucosemine and condroiten but forget to take it sometimes.

It's single digits here, too. A warm-up is coming on Tuesday. There's a stray cat that hangs around our house and I noticed a couple days ago he was holding one back leg up. DH thinks it might have frost bite. Now I haven't seen the cat for 2 days. I'm hoping it found somewhere to get out of the weather, but I'm afraid it disappeared for another reason.

Karrine, I am also glad that we don't live far from stores. We have 2 supermarkets within a mile. Since we are 5 miles from the turnpike interchange, we have every restaurant you could think of, plus a Target, Walmart and Kohls. It's so convenient. We do drive through some rural areas going to my son's and I admit is is so beautiful and peaceful. Just too far from everything for me. I can imagine people who are used to living there would never be able to live where I live.

Bobbi, how are you adjusting to living closer to town since moving from your country home?

Mary, have you ever tried taking your Metformin at bedtime? That helped tremendously with my fasting blood sugar readings. They went from 200 down to the 130s. Still not great, but improved. Just a suggestion.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-13-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #185  

Height: 5'3"

Been busy again today...got up at 5:25 this morning as we went to Portland to our gs' first solo tap dance in the competition. He did very well, his mom and teacher were both crying. I don't know how he did in the awards presentation but yesterday he and his girl partner got "Most Entertaining" and the most points (I guess in their division). Haven't heard so far about today's performance. I was very tired so went back to bed...dh napped a while and then went to our other gs' martial arts class. Then after he got home we went to Costco as I wanted a new blender. My old one still works but the glass jar is cracked, just suddenly noticed it the other day..not sure how it happened or how long it's been cracked. I can get one online for $10 but the postage is more than that and the blender only cost me about $38 I think. I've gotten my money's worth out of it just just decided to get a new one. This time I not a Nutribullet Pro...it seems to be more for juicing and I don't do much of that, but thought it would likely work for my frappas too. It's 900 watts. Mostly I need something that is powerful enough to crush ice.
I have the ninja set I bought last fall...and I like it for chopping veggies but not so much for my frappas. More bother to clean. So I'll see how this one works..I can always take it back if I don't like it.

We have reserved time in Oregon for the points we need to use. We don't go there often but we have seen/done everything of interest. But it's just a few days and will be a change of scenery at least. It's always quiet and relaxing there and we like to walk around the pond in the mornings. I was only able to get a studio but it is a larger one,,what they call a studio plus.

Carol - Hope your knee continues to feel better. I too like the options and convenience of living in a larger area with plenty stores, medical facilities, etc. We are within three miles of two grocery stores, our gym and many other places incl an enclosed mall. Our doctors' office is about 4 miles away. This hospital is within 7 miles. I have tried taking Metformin before bed but couldn't see any difference. Perhaps I need to do it for a longer time. I've noticed that bs doesn't necessarily drop immediately after you make a change, I didn't used to know that. My increasing the amaryl has made my after breakfast (usually) and before lunch bs but better but don't think it's going to do anything for my fasting. I think the doctor just told me to try that because I was reluctant to take so much Amaryl near bedtime due to my concerns about dropping too much while sleeping.

Karrine - After reading about your fridge I had to check mine...it is still rather new but I'd forgotten...it is closed in back too. My previous one was covered in back by a heavy sorta cardboard but I could get in some areas and vac a little, but I can't see that much of this one, but think it is fully covered. I'll have to have dh help me with it sometime and check for sure.

Beloved - Hoping for much success to you on the IP program. I have heard of that. I understand about limiting yourself in regard to the forums. I limit myself to this one and FB. No time for more.

I never caught up with my housework this week, but I'll start where I left off next week. One thing about housework it's always there waiting for you. I've attached a pic of our gs and us at the dance competition. He is always smiling...I ask his mom, doesn't he ever get tired of smiling and she said nope!

Last edited by maryea; 02-13-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #186  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

It was sunny off and on today. Supposed to get up to the high 60's.

I haven't been very good with the food the last couple days. My weight has been up and down a couple pounds at a time. Friday morning, it jumped up a couple pounds, but surprisingly this morning even though I ate stuff I probably shouldn't have yesterday, I was down a pound. Hopefully, I have gotten it out of my system and am going to try to go as many days in a row as I can of doing the right thing before the inevitable snacky thing gets me. It tasted good, not gonna beat myself up about it ~ just gonna continue on trying to do the right thing.

I went with Jason yesterday to his workman's comp appointment (he hurt his back at work). Then hung out with him and visited. I always enjoy getting to spend time with my kids.

If it warms up enough today, I'd like to clean up the deck so I can enjoy going out there. We have this nice glider and I would like to sit out there some on the nice days.

Good evening GG's,

Sara and Maddie showed up and visited for a bit, then I was doing other stuff and didn't get this finished. Got a pot of soup fixed. Tomorrow I need to make another pan of roasted vegetables and something else. Got my hair cut ~ yippe ~ I can see again ~ LOL. Got some canned goods organized. Never did get out there to clean up the deck.

Hope you all are having a good weekend.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #187  

Good morning everyone,

Another extremely cold day here again today. I ordered a new winter jacket online from Sears as my everyday jacket is really getting shabby. I sure hope it fits and I don't have to return it as it was on sale. If it doesn't fit I'll have to wait until next winter I guess.

Carol - Rant all you like. It is frustrating when anyone does something that doesn't co-inside how you would do things. I hope that cat found a place to keep warm

Mary - I'm sure your grandkids appreciate you going to watch their classes. That is a very nice picture that you posted. When are you going to Oregon?

Gayle - when you talk about going out on your deck it sure makes me yearn for spring and summer here lol.

Karrine
Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #188  

Height: 5' 2"

Karrine Luckily the church we attend is more casual than most so my winter coat from Cabelas works just fine. The other coat is still too big, but I'm afraid to let go of it.

I wear fleece all the time now. I seem to stay cold except when I'm very busy cleaning. Actually use large device I can put in microwave to warm up, then fold it around my hands that stay like ice. Dr says my circulation is fine, but I wonder. Dh keeps temps up in TV room with extra little radiant heater that does help.

It is getting snowy here, we called Adoration for several days at the Church. I made the calls for noon till 6:00 PM so they don't make trip for nothing. We go 24 hours usually tonight, and tomorrow and tomorrow night. It will be lots to call for the other people to reach them all. I drive 16 miles one way to be there on Wednesdays. I also get Massage a bit beyond that area before Adoration. Adding in Bank, gas, Krogers and drug store, I can make the trip count.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #189  

Its been a very quiet day here. Tomorrow we will be going out to lunch with our dd and then we are going back to her house and I'm going to try and find something that fits me from her LulaRoe stash! I want to support her business.

I'm having trouble with my eating because nothing seems to taste good to me. This has been going on for a week or so at least. Not sure why and now and then something does taste good. Mostly I drink milk (1-3 cups/day), eat fruit, some veggies (but not a lot), and occasionally eat a carb I really like, sometimes potatoes or more likely a little rice and I try to make myself eat a little meat every day but some days I just can't eat it. I get plenty calories, some days too many but don't think that part is much different than it was. It's just that things I used to like just don't taste that good to me right now. Went to Costco and only took one sample and gave it to my dh. My weight is NOT coming down...even has gone up recently...since I don't think I'm eating more I think it is because I increased that darn med. My bs was better this am but it's also been over 200 a couple times. So I'm not sure that the med is really helping either. If I don't see a change soon I think I'll drop the doseage back down again.

Been hearing about the snow back east again...glad you got your new coat, Sandy. I cannot imagine being that cold since I'm usually so warm and use a fan at my bedside most of the night. If I have to be outside in really cold weather though I can't take it..esp my hands and face are affected. Fortunately it's usually not that cold here, but the rain can be very cold.

Karrine - We won't go on that short trip for a while...don't like to announce it on here but it will be a few months.

I placed an order yesterday on jane.com. I ordered some crocheted slippers (like booties) for my youngest dd from there for Christmas and she liked them, but have never ordered anything for myself. I do not know whether they will fit as I am not easy to fit. Usually only order things I can return locally. They are not expensive though so thought I'd take a chance. I was thinking to order some more today (lots of cute things) but then decided to wait until I get my first order. Just have a feeling, they may not fit.

Last edited by maryea; 02-14-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #190  

Good morning everyone,
It is supposed to warm up a little this coming week (I hope). Got on the scale this morning and was surprised that I lost another 1 lb. because my food portions this past week were too high. Guess I'm doing something right. I have so much weight to lose that I would prefer to lose 2 lbs. per week but I do have to admit that I sure am missing some of the foods I used to eat. I have to wait until treat day at end of month to have something taboo.

Mary - it must be very frustrating to know that your meds are keeping you from losing weight. Hang in there.

Karrine
Old 02-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #191  

Height: 5' 2"

Karrine What a nice surprise your scale gave you.

For those of you who live close to stores, medical help, etc, I envy you somewhat. Since I've lived away from conveniences most of my life, I usually don't miss them. When we go out we get groceries, when I'm near store and need, REALLY need clothes, I buy what I need. We eat out only a few times a month and usually when we are already near a restaurant that serves food we really, really like.

Mary Sorry your appetite is playing tricks on you. You don't seem to be slowing down any. The food you are eating sounds reasonably healthy, but it must be frustrating not to really enjoy what you eat.

Gayle Were you able to get the deck cleaned off so you can enjoy your swing? I envy you that blessing. I miss the swings of my childhood. One from back yard Elm tree and the second glider on the very large front porch. I use rockers daily, but not quite same.

Snow prevented us going to city for Ted's new hearing aids. He will try again tomorrow. He is also meeting another person so I'll choose to stay home. I do enjoy our home.

Sandy
Old 02-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #192  

Nothing new here. We went out this morning for some food since we're supposed to get more snow overnight.

Mary, sorry your food isn't tasting good. It would be worth it if you lost a little weight over it. I'm not losing, but not gaining either.

Karrine, we must have the same weather, as we are going to have a warm up too, in a few days.

Sandy, I used to be always warm and wore short sleeves, but now that I'm colder I only need longer sleeves. Still can't wear fleece. Even at night, I let my bare legs hang out of the blankets because they get hot for some reason. Sometimes Rusty sees my feet hanging out and licks my toes. He loves his mommy!
Old 02-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #193  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

It is kind of dreary looking outside right now ~ hopefully the sun will come out later today.

It is kind of like a long weekend for Steve and I ~ because of presidents day, Sara doesn't work, so Maddie (who has no school today) will be with her. I love having Maddie, but also love those bonus days off.

Fresh strawberries were marked down some from their usual price, so Steve bought some. So, I've been able to have that breakfast salad I had many mornings when we started this diet. Fresh spinach, pieces of the fresh strawberries, mandarin orange slices (canned) and fresh blueberries, drizzled with a little poppy seed salad dressing and sprinkled with some sliced almonds. It is so pretty and yummy. I told Steve that was better than chocolates or flowers for Valentine's day.

It was a nice day yesterday. I got to talk to and hug on Sara. Talked to Jason, my mom and my sister. Got some cooking done. Did some mending.

Karrine ~ congratulations on losing another pound. I wanted to do your end of month treat meal idea, but unfortunately, I didn't last even a week before I gave in. Now just trying to do as many days in a row as I can before some snacky thing starts calling my name. I sort of feel like if I can choose rather or not I want something ~ there is kind of power and a good feeling in choosing not to. Maybe that will keep me going for a whole string of days.

Mary ~ I hope you are able to find something you like in your daughter's clothing line. Hope you are able to find some foods that are tasty to you. Sorry for the effects that med is having on your trying to lose weight ~ so frustrating. Nice picture of you, Joe and your grandson.

Sandy ~ Your feeling cold all the time made me think of the weather here. I had never lived this far south before we moved here. I thought it would be so hot that I wouldn't need any of my warm clothes anymore and thought about getting rid of them. I'm glad I didn't because it gets cold here sometimes and I still need some of those warm things.

Carol Sue ~ glad your knee is feeling better. I enjoy living near the stores. I didn't grow up that way or the first several years of our married life in Maine. I grew up in a rural area (NE Ohio). We had to go about 15 miles to the nearest shopping places where I grew up and about 25 miles to the nearest places where we lived in Maine (also a rural area). It wasn't until we moved to Kansas City, Missouri, that stores were so close by. I got used to that, and sort of spoiled I guess. I like it like that now ~ with everything close by. I like the country, but I like being able to jump in the car if I need something or have forgotten something and being able to go get it.

Oh, Carol Sue ~ I don't have that Joel Osteen book you are reading, but maybe I would enjoy it. I like him ~ he has positive messages. I got criticized one time though by some people because he has that big church and lives in a mansion. They said that he should be helping people with all that money. It made me kind of mad ~ I can't help what he does with all the money, but I like his positive messages. Sometimes one of those positive thoughts comes along at the prefect time when I am struggling with something and helps me feel hope. I do have the book The Power of Positive Thinking (Norman Vincent Peale). A lot of times, I will get a book at the library first to see if I like it ~ and if I decide I'd like to have it, I look online to find it used. I have gotten several nice books I have wanted that way.

How are you doing Bobbi? Do you have much snow up by you? Have you invented any new yummy recipes?

Guess I'd better get done with this and tackle some of the stuff on my to do list.

Hope you all are staying warm and having a good day.

Here is a picture of my yummy pretty breakfast salad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breakfast salad 2016 resized.jpg (43.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by glynne; 02-15-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #194  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
Bobbi, how are you adjusting to living closer to town since moving from your country home?
Carol...I love, love, love it. Bruce has come around too, he didn't want to move but loves all the wild life we have. Our land is on the outskirts of town next to a huge woods. We have around 9 deer and 20 turkeys everyday at the feeders. Lots of wild birds too. Our house was a fixer upper so we remodeled it to our taste. It already had hardwood floors and a big fireplace in it, we had all the floor sanded down and refinished. It's just perfect and I love running to the grocery store anytime I want.
As to hubby and the laundry, sometimes you just have to YELL to get them to understand. Good for you.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #195  

Finally getting here. I had a great birthday, shopped my dd's LulaRoe stash and she bought me a leggings and long top outfit, plus I bought two more tops and another pair of leggings. I love them all! I will need another long top to go with the leggings but will get it later. Most fun I've had shopping in a long time. Even tried on a pencil skirt and I think if I'd had a long top to match I would have bought it. Never thought I would ever wear a straight skirt again! The materials are all so soft and most are quite stretchy...some tops are bigger than the size you expect so you can go smaller, however the ones I bought were pretty true to size, just fit me better than many I buy in the stores. I highly recommend LulaRoe clothing now. She has sizes from really small up to 3X and also children's sizes. I will probably feel a little shy the first time I wear the leggings in public but I'll get used to it. After shopping, we went out for lunch...I got a hamburger with sauteed onions and a few french fries The fries did not come with the burger so we just all shared them. It took us an hour and 14 min to get home because of the traffic. Then on the way home our oldest son texted that he was coming with dinner! So we had turkey dinner at home (I wasn't really hungry but it smelled so good I had to eat some), and our youngest son and his fam came too and brought my cake. He (who doesn't cook) baked and decorated the cake! They also gave me gifts...good smelling bath/skincare products, and a work-out shirt. Love them all! I feel so blessed!!

Very tired tonight so no personals...perhaps tomorrow...
Closed Thread