Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #136  

Height: 5'3"

Finally getting here. I felt better this morning...not normal yet but getting there. We went to the gym and I just did cardio. Dh was very tired and only wanted to be there for 30 min. Then we went grocery shopping...realized I'd left my list at home...haven't been putting on my phone lately....but I did pretty well remembering everything. Only forgot three things which we can pick up later. I wasn't feeling so well after we got home but I had lunch then took a long nap again and woke up feeling better again. Transferred the money we kept in an online bank, I loved the online bank and liked the better interest but dh has never felt comfortable with it and his comfort is more important to me. It was funny though...at first I only called them to get his password reset so I could access his account to download the tax form. Until then I didn't even remember I'd made him the primary on the accounts! Sure wish I hadn't because then they had to talk to him, and ask him all these questions to make sure he was the right person and he couldn't hear and would ask me and they'd tell me I couldn't talk for him...it was crazy! One operator gave up and turned him over to another...at least that one asked him questions he could better understand and finally we were done with that part. But by the time we were done he wanted to delete the accounts, we'd discussed this before and he'd given in to me so when I got to the next operator I finally just did it. Then I worked a little more on our taxes this afternoon...I'm almost done. Looks like we may get a refund which we haven't gotten in many years. I keep thinking I must have made a mistake!

Yesterday was our 16 year old gs' birthday. I forgot so quickly sent him an Amazon gc to his email. That's what his mom always recommends anyway. I chatted with him a bit via text and he agreed that's the best way to go. He sounds so grownup now.

I haven't been eating very well since this thing started. I usually get at least one healthy meal and at least one healthy snack though. Not much has sounded good, even things I usually like. So last night I caved and asked dh to get me some sugary junk food, I ate it an enjoyed it. Went to bed feeling pretty good. My bs was high anyway and it didn't hurt it much more as far as I can tell. I tested before bed to be sure it wasn't sky high. I've always been funny that way with sugar carbs...sometimes they don't even affect my bs....when other foods will...I'll never understand that but normally I try to stay away from them. He also got Chinese again last night and I was able to eat some of it too, then had a spring roll for my lunch today. For breakfast I had oatmeal with some apple chunks in it so it's not all bad. Not sure about tonight because dh doesn't want me to cook, he's not hungry. But at least there is no junk in the house now.

Carol - So sorry to hear about your niece! It is difficult when you can't get any info. Her brother couldn't even give you any numbers for someone else to call or the hospital? Praying you can get more info and for your niece too.
Crying is completely appropriate.

Sandy - Glad your asthma is better now. That must be very uncomfortable. Glad your snow is gone and 60s sounds great! We are supposed to get some 60 days soon and they are predicting an early spring again this year. Dh is anxious for spring so he can start working outside and gardening again too. He is always less tired when he's active outside.

Karrine - Thanks, but it's not constipation so don't think I need prune juice...ugh! I know it does help though when needed. We have dried prunes still from our tree last summer and I love them, just not the juice. But no, that's not my problem as far as I can tell.

Beloved Warrior (love that name, btw!) - This can't be too much fiber because I was in my less fiber mode recently and in fact was thinking it might be time to increase it when this began. However I don't notice that anymore and since I haven't felt much like eating anything I have not increased it. I get the idea of the grape soda now! Never thought of dye.
Usually try to stay away from that stuff. My tummy still feels full and tender but is a little better. I don't seem to be constipated. Other than heartburn now and then and mild discomfort around my hernia (which is not unusual) I have no other symptoms. Hopefully it will be gone soon.

Hope you all are having a good evening. Bye til tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #137  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Carol Sue ~ so sorry to hear about your niece ~ and your nephew as well. Tears are completely understandable. Let them come. Prayers going up for all of you.

Checking in tonight ~ won't be by my computer tomorrow. I am going to my son's to help him with his prep for a colonoscopy on Friday. Mostly lending moral support I guess and having been through it, can maybe answer his questions, and try to calm his worries. Or by visiting ~ maybe take his mind off things a little bit.

He has been having some bleeding when he has a bowel movement. And he feels like there is some kind of lump up in there ~ only way they can know is to look up there. There is a history of colon cancer on my father's side of the family, so better to get it checked out. On my last one, they found and removed a pre-cancerous polyp. I am praying so hard that for him it is just hemorrhoids. He is 38 years old.

I finished my daughter's pillows today. She was happy with how they turned out.

Guess I'd better get off and head to bed. Hope to get more persoanls done on another posting.

Hope you all have a good rest tonight.

Here is a pic of one of Sara's pillows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sara's pillow resized.jpg (32.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg sara's pillows 2-2016.jpg (26.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by glynne; 02-04-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning everyone,

Sandy - hope your Asthma problems don't flair up too much for you and that you can control it as much as possible with meds, etc.

Carol - I'm so very sorry to hear about your niece and nephew too. I hope today goes better for you to grasp this very sad news and will keep both in my prayers.

Beloved - I too have been researching my Family tree for many many years before the advent of computers. Using a typewriter; photocopy machine and microfiche reader at a library and trudging through cemeteries and snail mail to relatives was fun but with the advent of computers and Ancestry.com sure has given me more information and leads. I still have a box full of those letters from family members who have since passed away and am so fortunate to have gotten their stories and pictures before they died.

Mary - I do my income tax by hand first and then use a computer tax program to see if it comes out the same. I also remit my taxes online now. How wonderful that you have a prune tree!! Nothing like that grows where I live.

Gayle - good for you in visiting you son to give him advice and support during his preparation for a colonoscopy. They aren't much fun and I'm sure he is worrying about it with having blood show up in output.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

They say things always look better in the morning, and I am feeling better about my niece. I could probably call the hospital but I doubt if they would give any information to an aunt. I could call her husband, but I think he has enough to handle. When I asked my nephew all the questions he didn't know the answers and he said now he realizes that there's a lot he doesn't know, so maybe he will ask these things. He said he will keep me posted. She raised her kids from her first marriage. She remarried, and also raised his 3 children. She took in her MIL when she had dementia, took in her mother until she had to go into a nursing home, took care of her 2 grandchildren while the parents worked, and has had a couple of her step-children come back from time to time with their families. She has done so much for others. No one knows if she was having any symptoms before this happened because she can't talk to tell anyone. Her husband said she was throwing up, which can be a sign of a heart attack, but they thought it was from something she ate. This has been going on for 2 weeks and they seem to think she's making progress, but I'm so afraid she might never be well enough to do more than lie in bed.
We were at a picnic this past summer and had so much fun talking about past family matters. I keep picturing her like that, and she may never be like that again. I guess I should be more optimistic.

Mary, I'm so glad you're feeling a little better and were able to go to the gym. I think when you don't feel good, eating something you really like helps lift your mood, even if it's not healthy food.

For years I did our taxes myself and mailed in the return. Now we are below the taxable limit. They take taxes out of DH's pension check but we get it all back. I could have them stop deducting it, but I let it go in case we need that tax paid in someday. One year I won $2000 and we still didn't get into a taxable bracket. I guess sometimes it's beneficial to be poor. LOL So we are no longer tax paying citizens. I don't understand doing the taxes online, so we go to a free AARP tax service in our area.

I always have to talk for Jerry on issues regarding things like his medical insurance, etc. He has to get on the phone and verify who he is and give them permission to talk to me. Also, since the cable bill is in his name, he had to give them permission to talk to me about changes we were making. I think it's good that they did that with the online bank. It could have been anyone calling.

Gayle, I hope your son is OK. I think most time visible blood is from hemorrhoids. It's when it's blood in the stool that it is coming from farther up.

I just noticed your quote from Joel Osteen. I never paid a lot of attention to him, but recently I saw a book in Target, You Can, You Will, and I checked it out of the library yesterday. I'm hoping it will help me become more optimistic about things.

Sandy, I hope your Asthma settles down soon. That must be terrible.

Karrine
, some of my cousins have done some geneology research and have accounts online in Ancestry.com. I am a member of these accounts and go in and look at them once in a while. One of them has me listed as a member, and I get emails from them when new info is added, but when I try to log in it tells me I don't have access and to contact so and so. These people don't know me, but I am their relative on my mother's side. It's just that they all know each other and I don't know any of them. When I first joined I told them who's granddaughter I am, and it was OK then, but I guess since then they have blocked me for some reason. It's not important enough to me to speak up, but they why send me the emails? LOL

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-04-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #140  

This is not my week. Things are going from bad to worse. Now the sewer is clogged in the basement.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #141  

Well, our taxes are done and it still shows a refund, so hoping that's correct. It's hard to believe after so many years of paying, paying, paying...maybe it's our turn. Ever since I started working at age 16 in a grocery store (before that I only babysat and did ironing for neighbors), I have done my/our tax returns. Only once have we hired someone to do it...and that ended up costing us a lot! We probably would have had to pay a lot in taxes that year anyway, and it did relieve a lot of stress for me because of the difficult situation we were in at the time, but it cost a lot just to have them do it also and I hope to never have to have someone else do our taxes again. That year was very different, much more complex but usually our taxes are not that difficult, and my budgeting software I have used in recent years helps a lot at what used to be tedium working getting all the deductions together etc. And also for several years now I've been using TurboTax online. We can't use the free one but it is worth every penny as it makes it so easy and less time consuming. I just do a little of it every day or so and it saves where I'm at each time and it also efiles for me.

Carol - That's nice that you don't have to pay, but I would have them stop deducting it and put it into a savings account so you can at least get some interest. You can still keep it in case you need it to pay taxes one day. Your business, sorry, but just what I would do. I'm glad you can get your return done for free. You could probably use the free one with TurboTax too and it is very easy...they guide you through it, but still easier to just have someone do it if it's free.

Yeah I know the online bank had to verify that it was the right person, but it was just so funny the way it went with dh unable to hear and asking me and them telling me to basically shut up! I'm trying to tell him not to ask me, but yet trying to help him...motioning etc., but he just couldn't get it. Felt sorry for him (and the agent on the phone!) but it was funny too. He just wanted to get off the phone and watch TV. He leaves all the finances to me.

We went looking at tile/linoleum today just to get ideas as I am hoping to get our main bathroom remodeled soon. Dh has never been happy with the the wall tile installed in early 90s, and the floor looks terrible now. Just went looking at types, color/patterns and prices for now. If we decide to not do both, we definitely need to do the floor. Our home needs so much work, but I'm trying to do one thing at a time. We also want to travel so have to make sure I keep some money for that too. Today dh was saying perhaps we should just sell and buy another place that's already remodelled. I don't think we can get enough from our house now though to get a home we will really want...possibly a small condo, but I'd prefer a smallish house with a small yard if we move. The value is coming up per Zillow but it needs so much work I doubt we can really get even what Zillow says.

I'm feeling much better today. Still don't feel like cooking but have to cook the beef I have thawed so will tonight. Also have lots of veggies I need to use. Food is too expensive to waste. It's hard to make meat (esp beef) soft enough for dh to eat but I cut it small and then he cuts it up (after it's cooked) even smaller with the kitchen scissors. I suggested grinding it but he prefers the scissors. I thought maybe I should just stick to ground beef or even ground turkey for now but he gets tired of ground beef and ground chicken/turkey is not very appealing to us. My dd says I am a picky eater...I never thought I was...I would say she is more than I, but recently I've decided that maybe I am afterall. So many things just don't seem to appeal to me anymore esp meats.

I would like to do a genealogy...a lot of my dad's side has been done by my nephew. He is disabled and had the time to do it and did a good job, but I would love to go further with it, back to when they came to America etc. and also would like to do more on my mom's side. I have an account with Ancestry.com but just a free one. Have any of you got a paid acct with them...wondering what the difference really is.

Karrine - That's a lot of work to do the genealogy that way. I think that's the way my nephew did it too. I think he called and wrote people to get info too. Thank goodness for the internet! It's time that keeps me from doing it...I have started many times but then got too busy to continue. I am glad that I have what he did at least. We have what we call our orchard...it's just small area of our back yard where we have several fruit trees/bushes. Last year we got our first peaches and they were very tasty...we had had one peach on it before but it fell off before it was ready to pick. We have an apple tree and the apples taste good but are small and usually wormy so we don't eat them much. We also have some new cherry trees which have replaced one that got too tall and we had to cut it down as the roots were going under our concrete patio, and we have two or three blueberry plants, beside the plum tree. That's all I can remember. So far we don't get a lot of blueberries but they are tasty. We have a lot of plants..it is hard to keep up with it all..dh works hard at it all...garden, orchard and flowers/other plants and I only do a little. I keep telling him to let me know when he is ready to hire someone to help him, or to move. He talks about it but never makes the decision. I know if he goes before me I cannot keep up with it all.

Glynne - Hoping things are going well for your son. You are a good mother, Gayle, you help your kids so much, and I know you've been through a lot with them too..I hope they appreciate it and I'm sure they do. Sounds like hemorrhoids but it's good to check esp with the family hx. Once I had bleeding just from eating a large prime rib at a party...I rarely ate meat at the time, but it tasted so good that night. As soon as I ate it I felt sick then noticed the blood. Was checked the next day but nothing showed up so think in my case it was just the red meat! I love the pillows!! Again your kids are fortunate to have you!!

Well I need to get to work and make up for all my being lazy recently. Hope you all are having a good day.

Last edited by maryea; 02-04-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #142  

Well, $720 later the sewer is cleaned out. DH tried for a while but couldn't do it so we called a plumber. It was clogged between the garage and the street.

My nephew called and said Nancy is doing much better today. I think part of the reason she was so out of it was because they had her sedated and now the sedation is wearing off.

Gayle, you did a beautiful job on those pillows. They look so nice on the couch.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #143  
my 1st baby "Pepe le Pew"

S/C/G: 276.8/272.2/health

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Folks...

Wannabe - so glad you were able to get the sewer issue fixed... and that you heard about your niece. I hope your tomorrow is a little brighter

Mary - great to hear you are feeling better AND that you are getting a refund... AWESOME!!

I don't have much time tonight...

Cleaned my pantry and frig... the freezer is tomorrow. GETTING READY!

Hope you all have a great night
Old 02-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #144  

Good morning everyone,
Something unexpected happened yesterday in that a good friend from church called and asked me out for lunch. It ended up with me having an extra "treat day" as I had a hot beef sandwich with fries and coleslaw....so much for the diet. I don't expect to lose anything this week. I really should have had mashed potatoes instead of fries as the fries really put my point count way up.

Carol - Your niece sounds like she was a real gem of a person and I'm so glad that she is improving now that the sedation is wearing off. Let's hope & pray that she continues to improve. Don't fret about still getting emails from your cousins....I don't understand that if they have you blocked on ancestry. Glad you got your sewer unblocked. You had quite the day.

Mary - my income is too low to pay taxes or to get any refund so doing my tax return is just a paperwork job that has to be done every year in case things change. Maybe I'll win a lottery LOL. Good luck with your plans for a bathroom renovation. It is always fun to redo and upgrade. I've decided not to put any more capital into my place with big upgrades as I've already done approximately $60,000 worth of upgrades over the past 30 years and feel that the next person who lives here can do it. Now that my income is so low I don't want to be doing that anymore but I do keep my place regularly in good maintenance.

Beloved - I hope you don't have too much waste when cleaning out your freezer today.

Other than going out for a few groceries that are on sale starting today I don't have any plans. Having chicken left overs for dinner tonight.

Karrine
Old 02-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #145  

Karrine, we aren't doing any more updates on our house, either. Just fixing what needs fixed. We got the shingles replaced on the roof a few years ago, but insurance paid for that as it was hail damage. That helped us a lot. The kitchen cabinets were new around 2000, so they should never need replaced. When we had that done I got basic laminate counter tops to save money thinking I could upgrade later on. Now if I mention getting new counter tops DH says "What's wrong with the ones we have?" And really, there's nothing wrong with them. They are not stained or damaged and they clean up nice. I would just like to have granite or something similar, but it's not a need.

The thing about winning the lottery is, you have to play to win. I don't play, but DH does sometimes. He says I should play because I tend to me luckier than he is, but he spends enough on it to suit me. A couple times I won some money at the casinos. I prefer when I win a lower amount that is not taxable. So far I haven't won enough to cause us to owe taxes, or lose our property tax rebate. I don't want to lose the comps I feel I've earned by being a taxpayer all these years. LOL

Beloved, I like when it's time to clean out the freezer because it gives me a day to cook all this meat and then we each get to choose what we want to eat. Right now my freezer is pretty low and needs to be restocked. I'll watch for some sales.

Mary, I know you say that these online tax preparations are easy, but that's because you understand them. One time I tried doing it. I entered all the information on a site that said it was free. It was easy! But when I got to the end, it told me I had to pay $XX.xx and to enter my credit card number. I was so angry! And there was all my personal information entered into their site. I back tracked as well as I could and deleted as much as I could, but I know it wasn't all out of there. So that's when we decided to use the free AARP program. It is 2 days a week, 5 hours a day and fills up fast. You usually have to get there an hour ahead of time and wait for them to open, because by the time they open at 9AM they have met their limit and they tell you to come back another day. Last year was the first time we did that, and the guy did tell me something that I didn't know about and wouldn't have taken into consideration. Either way, we never owe anything. If I stopped having that tax deducted from DH's pension, it would just be an increase in his monthly allotment and would never get put in a savings account. This way we at least get that check every year than we can use for somethng. You don't know how DH is with savings. His attitude is, "you can't take it with you, so spend it." I have to go to great lengths to hide money from him that I've allotted for something. It's only $800 per year. Not enough that would accumulate a great amount of interest. If he were left to manage the finances, our SS and pensions would be gone by the 15th of each month and we would be struggling to get through the last 2 weeks. He was used to knowing he was going to get another pay check each week.

Gayle, does your son know the results of his medical test yet? I hope it's nothing serious.

A couple days ago I realized we forgot to put our Christmas pillows away and bring back our everyday pillows. So we still have pillows out on the couch with snowmen on them. LOL It seems there's always some Christmas decoration that we forget to put away. I had some flameless candles and I noticed that DH put them up on a wall shelf. They look OK there. Not too Christmasy.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #146  

Just got home from the gym and a stop for a few groceries. Sitting here drinking a slim-fast now. Do any of you remember the book or movie called "Not Without My Daughter"? Sally Field played the mother in the movie. Her dd is grown up now and has written her own book about that experience and what has happened since. She seems like a very intelligent, mature young woman who has experienced a lot both bad and good. I'm enjoying her book.
I'm also listening to a couple videos (Identity Crisis) and podcast (Serial - more on the story I think I told you about before.) I just keep these open and go back to them when I can.

We've been in our house almost 39 years, and it was built 12 years before that. Very little has been done on it in all those years, and some work was already needed when we moved in, so we about have to remodel things now. We have maintained it so it is structurally sound, and it's comfortable, but doesn't look so good. We are fixing it up a little at a time. The door man still hasn't gotten back to finish the door, in fact dh is calling him right now to try and hurry things up. He did warn us it would take a while, but it's been about a month now again since he was here to inspect the door and we waited about a month for him to inspect it!

Carol Sue - Glad the sewer is fixed, sounds like a big job. Dh buys a lottery ticket or two about once a week I think. He's hasn't won anything other than a $1-3 for a long time. I don't bother to buy them. Guess I understand why you don't put that money in the bank now! Some people feel that way. I've changed a lot myself...used to love to spend, now I love to give and save. If we do get that refund (can you tell I still don't believe it?), it will go into whatever we are saving for at the time...probably the house. I wonder if the tax fee was the fee to efile? I have to pay to use the software because the free one is not enough for us but we don't pay to efile. Nice that you can get them done free though. We always forget to pack something away after Christmas. This year it was an artifical poinsettia plant, still sitting on the coffee table. I stopped buying a real plant because it always died. Thanks for reminding me, I want to put that plant somewhere..even if I don't get it up to the attic as usual. I still have a little reindeer peeking out over our grandmother's clock...I threw it up there one day many years ago (when kids were still home) because we forgot to pack it away. Everyone thinks it looks cute up there.

Karrine - Your lunch sounds good...just go back to your diet and try to move a bit and you should be fine. One meal doesn't kill our diets...it's the regular overeating. My problem has always been not being persistence. Figure I'm better off for the trying at least.

Glynne - How is your son?

Hi Beloved, Sandy!

Last edited by maryea; 02-05-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #147  
my 1st baby "Pepe le Pew"

S/C/G: 276.8/272.2/health

Height: 5' 4"

OY! Ow... Today I went in to meet the nurse/coach. She is a very sweet young lady. I did decide to do this program... and start tomorrow. I went out for one last pancake and eggs brunch... then came home after and packed up the freezer (Karrine, not much waste, turns out there was ice cream in there ... REALLY!!) I then went and purchased veggies, and a scale for weighing food, and some no calorie creamer. Dropped off the pantry items, refrigerator items, and freezer items to a friend... Then drove over to another friend, who has dementia, and her husband is cleaning out her bookshelf... so, put the boxes of books in my van (I'll maybe look at those over the weekend... what I don't want will end up going to Liberia with a ministry here in area). I left at 830 am and got home about 5. I could barely walk. I have a full day ahead of me in prepping veggies and other items. ... but tonight... I HURT!! These are the days I am glad I don't have anyone depending on me... because I can do only that which is necessary without feeling guilty.

Mary - I have ancestry.com... but I don't know what the free one offers to know if there is a big difference. Our library has an account people can use without having to pay for an account. Maybe other libraries do also.

As far as taxes go... sadly, I do taxes ... I hate to do taxes ... so this year I am doing them for very few people and when I do their taxes I'm going to let them know that I will not be doing them next year. Except for my neighbor's... they do my snowblowing and mowing ... just because! So, I will continue to do their taxes ... just because. Besides NOW it is easier as it is just the two of them.

Hi Sandy... thank you for the welcome! I hope your asthma settles down quickly. Sending you hugs!!

Until next time GG's -- Be good

Last edited by BelovedWarrior; 02-05-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #148  

Good morning,

Carol - I had to have my roof replaced in December out of necessity and I'm hoping that nothing else comes up in the line of capital expenses.

Mary - I'm surprised that you are still waiting to get your door fixed. I hope you hear from them soon.. I forgot to mention in my last post how impressive it is that you have such a great orchard growing things that we can't here. We can grow apples; grapes; pears; cherries and raspberries here in the line of fruits. Thank you for urging me on after blowing my diet with a second treat day. I'll be happy if I stay the same this week and not gain.

Beloved - Good for you in your preparation for the new diet program. You can count on all of us for support.

Karrine
Old 02-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #149  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

It's been a busy couple days. Thursday I spent with Jason helping him keep up with all the steps of his prep for the colonoscopy. Friday, he had the colonoscopy. Thankfully nothing was wrong. He was having bleeding from time to time with his BM's. He thought he had hemorrhoids and that he would have to have the banding procedure or even surgery to remove them. But the colonoscopy showed there weren't any hemorrhoids, no lumps, no polyps, nothing that needed biopsied to check for cancer. He was scared and worried because on my father's side of the family, there is a history of colon cancer. But thankfully nothing was wrong. What a relief. I spent the afternoon then, just visiting with him and helping him with some stuff around his apartment. I enjoy getting to spend time with him.

Karrine ~ I don't think you messed up as bad as you think with your extra treat day. Confession, I have done pretty good, but today ate a couple things I shouldn't have. Oh well, I just will keep trying/aiming for the right stuff.

Beloved ~ sounds like you're all set to start the new diet. You'll do great.

Mary ~ are you feeling better than a few days ago? Hoping so for you.

Carol Sue ~ sorry about the unexpected expense, but glad you got your sewer problem resolved. Glad to hear that your niece is doing better.

Sandy ~ hope your asthma has calmed down and that you are feeling better.

Topics: Ancestry. I looked at the Ancestry.com website back along, but you could only get so far (not very far it seemed) without a version that you had to pay for. There were a lot of links for other places that said free, but when you went to them ~ you also had to pay. I wasn't interested enough I guess, didn't really have the time at the time, didn't know what I was doing to pay out money, so I never did. My dad was interested in doing that, and was all excited when he and mom got a computer, but neither one of them knew anything about computers, didn't have anyone to help them. He just started pressing all kinds of buttons, mom got scared that he was gonna mess something up and that they wouldn't know how to fix it, so they got in a big fight and he vowed never to touch the “stupid thing” again. And he (stubborn man) never did. He didn't hurt anyone but himself as he never did get to enjoy trying to find any of the genealogy stuff he had hoped to find. Sad.

There was a man ~ distant relative of my mom's people who sent her a letter with his e-mail address asking if she could fill in some of the names of her relatives, and dad wanted me to contact him. So I did and shared that info with my dad. He enjoyed that.

I also met up with a lady on Facebook who had done a lot of genealogy about her and her husband's family, and I asked her some questions and gave her the names of my grandparents, and she ~ within in a matter of minutes, gave me a list a few generations back of people on my mom and dad's sides of the family. Sadly, I think my dad had already passed by then and I never got to share the info with him.

I don't have the patience myself to try to search. It seems that unless you know what you are doing, you run into a lot of brick walls. I just don't have the patience for that.

Another topic: Remodeling/homes. When we first moved here (we've been here about 9 years now), there were things we talked about doing, but we never got around to it. Now Steve talks about somewhere down the road, moving to like a condo or similar type situation where someone else looks after the yard and does the up-keep to the outside of the building, as we are getting older and eventually won't be able to do it ourselves. So, we have lived here without doing the things we talked about, it seems silly now at this point to do any of those things if we are not going to stay here. It has always kind of bugged me as we have moved from one place to another, to fix it up to sell. Why couldn't we have fixed it up a little for us to enjoy, instead of for the next people. I guess you do what you have to do to get it sold.

Tomorrow is the Super Bowl. Jason was gonna come over and watch with me, but I could tell he really would rather go watch in a different setting. He likes to go to a sports bar type place with people and big screen TV ~ more fun and exciting for him. Since he is never usually off work on Super Bowl Sunday, I told him it was ok for him not to come here and go where it would be more fun for him. It doesn't hurt my feelings. I am glad he is getting to do something fun. He feels like his life isn't always very much fun.

Got to visit with my sister yesterday on the phone, and my mom today. Sara stopped by and I enjoyed getting to visit with her. And Maddie was here for a bit ~ I missed seeing her on Thursday and Friday after school, so enjoyed getting to visit with and hug on her.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

Last edited by glynne; 02-06-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #150  

Little did I know when I woke up this morning that we would be buying a new car. DH has been wanting one, but he wanted a 2015 Impala and the 2015s are becoming scarce. But today we found one in the color we wanted, and they really wanted to get rid of it, so we got what I think is a great deal. It was like they weren't going to let us leave without it. DH is happy. I'm very nervous because of the payment, and I'm eating from nerves!! We will be OK with the payment, but I always get nervous when we take on a new expense.

Mary, I too am surprised that you are still waiting for the door people. It's really been a while.

Now you reminded me that I still have my artificial poinsettia out. I will have to get DH to put it up in the attic. I don't always get a poinsettia, just if I see one at a good price, but this year I bought this beautiful artificial one at Goodwill. I think it was $2 or $3. It looks real.

I wanted a new skillet to cook my eggs. I bought one today and I thought 9 inch was what I wanted, but after I got home and looked at my old one I realize it's 8 1/2. It's only a half inch, but I want the same size because the new one doesn't come with a lid and I want to use the same lid, so it has to be the same size. When I cook my 2 eggs, the whites spread out to the edge of the pan and it's just the right size. That might seem very picky, but it's what I like. LOL
Closed Thread