Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #241  

Height: 5'3"

Waiting for my dd to pick me up to go to a Tupperware party. Haven't been to one of those for a very long time, and am just going to be able to be with her as we seldom do anything together. So I went to early service today to get home in time. Very sleepy but I'll rest later.

Carol - That's terrible about the PA after your surgery! The doctors need to be sure they know what they are doing. I have a gd who is planning on becoming a PA but I have to admit I've seldom been that pleased with them. The last one I saw had lots of education (displayed on wall) but I wasn't impressed with him. Glad your BP has come down and so far no adverse reactions from the med. Also glad you have a cardiologist you are comfortable with, as I would think esp dealing with you heart that is very important.

On credit cards...that's pretty much what we do...a lot of our bills are auto paid from our checking acct or credit card but those that we pay ourselves, I pay online with a credit card or at the store usually using a credit card. Every purchase is entered into my budget so it shows it as money spent. That way we can't over spend...we only use our card for something we already have money for. I check our credit accts almost every day and pay what ever the balance is even though I don't have to...that way I don't feel "in debt." We usually get $30+ to $60+ in cash rebates every month. I usually apply it (after tithe) to our bill or occasionally buy something with it on Amazon. It's something I would buy anyway. I used to feel that way about putting groceries on a credit card but I don't anymore because I like the cash backs. And I agree with your mil but we don't use our card unless we already have the money in our budget for the items we are buying. We don't buy anything we can't afford right now. That's the difference than years ago when we used to run up a charge account. We only keep two cards...one Visa and one AMEX. The AMEX is only because of Costco but occasionally we use it other places to get points with it, with them we only get the cashback in form of a check once a year though. Now that Costco is going to Visa, I think we will be dropping AMEX. I prefer to just have one card.

Well, my dd will be here soon...hope you are all well and having a good Sunday!

Last edited by maryea; 11-22-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #242  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

It is a nice sunny day here today ~ but kind of chilly ~ high only in the 50's.

Kind of a relaxing day ~ we had Maddie Friday after school until Saturday early evening. She was good and we had fun, but it is easlier to relax after she goes home.

Listening to Christmas music on the radio ~ I know ~ too soon probably, but it is so cheery to listen to.

Been struggling with wanting to munch, so trying to find some things to take my mind off that and other things. I had read that coloring is a relaxing thing to do. I printed off some coloring pages (forgive me if I have already mentioned this ~ I forget) and colored with colored pencils. Maddie likes to do that too, so that is something relaxing I can do with her. Back along, some of the internet ladies I know were doing on-line jig saw puzzles. I did some of those for a while, then that kind of went by the wayside, but someone mentioned it again, so I have been doing some of those. It is effective to keep my mind off stuff. Probably not a very good use of my time, but......

I'm kind of in a place where there is stuff I need to do, but because of other stuff going on, I can't really get started on those projects. I hate getting stuff all out to work on something and not being able to keep at it and get it done.

Carol ~ I'm glad your blood pressure is better with this med. Hoping that you don't have any reactions to it like before.

Mary ~ that must have been frustrating to forget your pin. I have had that happen. One time, my debit card was sucked into the ATM at my bank ~ I was fit to be tied. Didn't know why it happened or how to get it back. That was a few years ago so, I don't remember now how it was resolved, but it sure freaked me out when it happened.

Sandy ~ hope you are having a good weekend.

Karrine ~ hope all is well with you.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #243  

I'm home from the Tupperware party...it was a group of mostly young ladies (late 30s) and several were in school with my dd, so that was fun for her to catch up. I ordered a spoon-spatula type utensil that I'm hoping will be good for stir-frying even though it's called a serving spoon. I like a shorter utensil for stir-frying and sometimes they are hard to find. I also got a container that hopefully will be the right size for 2-3 dozen cookies...I used to have one but I guess I gave it away as I can't find it. A few years ago I gave a way a lot of plastic containers (some Tupperware) I hadn't used in over a year.

Glynne - Long ago when I was in my 30s, we were going to a party and decided to stop and get some cash from an ATM on our way. I had rarely used an ATM and am not sure what I did but the machine took my card and kept it. There was a guy waiting and he got really mad because he couldn't use the machine after that! I don't remember what he said but it wasn't nice. I felt terrible and apologized to him but he just stomped off. He seemed like the kind of guy that might have hit me if dh hadn't been in the car waiting for me. I'm sure he could find another ATM but I did feel bad about it.

Well, I'm tired so think I'll rest for a while.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

We use the ATM often, so we don't foget our pin. It never took our card, but one time the machine malfunctioned and the money didn't come out. We went inside the bank to complain and they said they couldn't do anything until the next day when the machine was balanced. The money came out of our account, but we didn't get it. DH was really angry, but that's how it is with machines, they don't always work properly. We went back the next day and they gave us our money.

Gayle, we leave a radio on for the dog when we leave, and it is set to the gospel station. They have been playing Christmas songs for a couple weeks now. I like hearing it, but DH says they shouldn't do it until Thanksgiving is over. Some of our neighbors have their outside decorations up already, but that's because we had a week of very warm weather. DH will be putting ours out next week in the cold. We had a bit of snow flurries yesterday. I enjoyed seeing that.

Mary, I bake so many cookies for Christmas and put them in the freezer in plastic containers. One time I baked for a wedding and bought some extra containers, so now I really have a lot. I like to keep baking and baking and filling the containers, and my family loves getting a big container of cookies to take home, since none of them bake. They depend on me, and I enjoy doing it, even thought I can't eat them. This year I will bake a double batch of apricot horns since they are the first to go.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #245  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol No one in the family bakes cookies any more. They always counted on my baking, and I stopped when work was moved from home to office 5 miles away. What little time I was at home was used to 'catch up."

I bet the ones who receive those containers full of cookies are delighted.

I hadn't baked in a year till Friday when I was fixing Parmesan bread for Danny's Shrimp dinner. I burned left arm putting bread in oven, and the right hand bringing it out. Hurt then, but is healing rapidly, thank Goodness.

We had great Korean Dinner when Danny cooked at Todds Saturday. We all helped wrap the MonDoo and Danny fried up 300 individual dumplings. The sauce he uses is so tasty and I ate way, way too many of these, my favorite Korean food. Danny's is better than any place else can come close to.

2-1/2 year old Anthony was so short he couldn't really see what we were preparing on the table. With the raw pork & veggies we used to stuff the dumplings, we had to make sure not to let him get up - and washed our hands over and over.

I was concerned driving the narrow road home after dark, but was surprised that I could see very well and did fine. My recovery from oncoming lights is better than DH's so I usually do the night time driving.

ATM machines? I've never used one, and as I listen to your experiences I'm glad not to do so.

Like Mary, we use credit for what we budgeted and pay it off each time a statement comes in. Next one will be horrible because my tooth implant high costs will be on it - OUCH.

Yesterday's session at Gym was best in ages. With a friend who lives nearby helped keep us both moving - and catching up on conversation.

Gayle Will you continue the coloring of pages? Are they objects or designs? I sometimes do that and it is OK. I like computer games better.

Sandy
Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #246  

Sandy, every year I say I'm not baking next year, but I end up doing it. Sometimes my family gets to fighting over who got more of which cookies and then I get mad and say I'm not baking anymore. This year I've decided to bake 2 batches of the ones that everyone fights over. I have the ones that everyone likes, and then the ones I like to bake because they look pretty on the cookie tray.

One time at Goodwill I found a cookie tin that said "David's Cookies" on top of it. Apparently that is a company that makes and sells cookies. Since my step-son's name is David, I bought it and filled it with home-baked cookies and took them when invited to a party at their house. It was a big cookie tin and I thought they would put them out for all to enjoy. But they didn't. LOL They weren't sharing. My DIL did wrap some up for her mother to take home.

When I learned to drive I was told to never look at the lights of the oncoming cars. They can really blind you.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:36 AM   #247  

About to go to bed but remembered I haven't posted today. I was really tired last night and overslept today...well I was up at 4 am but went back to bed, tossed and turned about an hour I think but finally did get back to sleep. Dh got up at 8 but I slept in until 10! That's the latest I ever sleep and don't do that often, usually I'm up by at least 9. All I got done today was weekly clean our bathroom and some daily tasks.

This afternoon we went to the move "The 33"...I really liked it...of course I had seen them remove the miners from the mine on the national news and it was amazing, but it didn't spoil the movie. Dh wasn't sure he'd like it since he knew how it ended but he really liked it too.

After the movie, we went to Pennys ...was going to buy an inexpensive watch but they didn't have the type I wanted. My every day watch is not working. Not sure why as the newest one has hardly been used but a new battery didn't work long. They even put in a second one, same thing happened. So wasted money on that watch. I will keep looking for what I want..I think Walmart still has them. My requirements are: a stretchy band, preferably yellow gold, large numbers (or marks), and Indiglo. Timex is usually what I end up getting. I also need some new nightgowns so bought one while in Pennys. It's longer than I wanted otherwise is ok, and tonight I ordered a couple more that are more to my liking. I'm just in a decluttering mode...getting rid of anything that is not needed, or not something I like. After I got rid of three items I needed to replace them with things I like better.

The way we've been kinda off schedule is making it hard for me to eat the way I should. My weight was down a little this morning (water), but my bs have been higher. Seems like I have about one or two good days a week. Wish I could figure out how to do better. My body is craving veggies as I haven't been cooking much. I would love to be able to wear the clothes my dd sells as they are really cute and kinda like I wore before I packed on the weight.

I usually bake a little at Christmas but not like I used to...mostly just some cookies for my son. Apparently the kids want to come here for Christmas again...guess my plan for someone else to take over isn't happening after all. As long as they help me it's ok, I'm always happy to have my family here...it's just having to do all the cooking and work, I can't take anymore. Too much time on my feet plus I forget things these days. Sometimes I even have trouble following a recipe...I just overlook something. I'm am glad to have everyone enjoying being together though.

Dh decided to get our TV repaired, so hopefully they can do it for the price they quoted. We will have to pay a $70 fee if they can't fix it or if turns out to be higher in price and dh says no way. Don't like that but that's the risk we take. We are hoping they will get here next week, they ordered the parts today I think.

Carol - That was cute about David's on the box. Yes they are a cookie, nut, candy esp gift and holiday items type place. Fun to browse however I have never bought much there.

It was chilly today...low 40s. We've had our first frost recently and probably again tonight. How's the weather where you are at? I hear it's really cold and snowy back east.

Have a good sleep...

Last edited by maryea; 11-24-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #248  

Mary Glad to hear that you liked "the 33." I also stayed glued to the TV during the time before and during the rescue. We grew up in coal mining area with mine cave in causing my friends to loose family. Dad was school teacher but Mom was afraid I'd marry a miner who would loose his life. My Father in Law was a miner for 42 years. A wonderful man I love dearly.

Carol Had to laugh at your family keeping your good cookies for themselves!!! I also was taught to look at the right edge of the road as I drove at night to avoid "night blindness" from oncoming cars. My nephew, who is only a few years younger than I am and more like a brother, asked me recently "do you look at the white line on the right edge as you drive at night?" I had to laugh, many places we've lived had roads WITHOUT that wonderful white line.

Today I'm going to Family Doctor who is also Internal medicine doctor. I'm taking the listing of my blood pressures taken often this month, and the description of my scare with the extreem pulse, heart beat, etc.

Today my blood pressure was taken AFTER emergency inhaler that has a abuterol in it. of course it raises my breathing AND BP. Even then 122/89 and pulse 59 without blood pressure medicine is pretty good, I think.

We are fully into frosty mornings and wind chill that stops walking outside more than necessary. I'll go to Mall and walk after doctor's appointment. Would love to find a fleece vest for that extra layer this winter. I have a very old one that I wear here at home, but it looks bad to wear elsewhere.

A friend had on a black fleece vest that she looked so good in. Peggy also is built with balanced shape and always looked great when we went swimming. I wouldn't dare go swimming in a bathing suit these days. I do miss it tho.

Sandy

DH is cooking now because he mowed yesterday, will be stuck home while I go to Dr, and Pat to Pottery class. With no car, he is cooking again. He used to make the best biscuits, but both attempts this week were duds.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:50 AM   #249  

Today we went to the gym and I did my usual 10 min (1/2+mile) on the track, and did 20 min on the stationery bike but this time I did the heart rate program just for a change. I felt it was too easy..and my heart rate never got over 120 and that was only briefly...it did stay above 100 the whole time though. I managed to also use the arm bike and the bicep curl machine before we left. We both felt too tired to work out but I'm glad we did it.

Came home and I did a few household tasks before leaving again to do shopping...went to Kohls and ended up buying both my usual Timex AND a pretty very feminine Pulsar. It's met my requirement for a stretchy band but no Indiglo...it will be my dressy watch. The watch my son gave me is sorta business looking so will wear it with more conservative pant looks, and my Timex is my every day and night watch. Love the Indiglo at night! I feel so spoiled as first time I have ever had three watches! The Pulsar was on sale for about the same as the Timex and it is not easy to find a pretty watch with a stretchy band these days so I just had to have it. Also replenished my panty drawer while I was there as well as buying a gift for my sil. I now have four gifts. So felt like I accomplished lot.

Came home and caught up with a little budgeting, rested a bit then started dinner. Made Chicken and Veggie stir-fry and rice. I didn't care for it but the guys said it was good.

Sandy - Don't blame your mom for not wanting you to marry a miner! I sure am glad I didn't and wouldn't want my sons to be miners either. Did your fil have lung problems from his time in the mines? I hope he got a good retirement. My maternal grandfather died young in a mine that caved in leaving my grandma and five young children. My oldest son worked in a steel mill for a while when he was 19. I was always scared for him and so glad when he was out of there.

How did the doctor visit go? Your BP sounds great to me. Mine is ok but my diastolic is not as low as yours even on meds.

I too have given up on wearing a swimming suit. I am not a swimmer but I did like playing in the pools and going to hot tubs when we traveled. But with some of my physical issues I no longer feel comfortable.

Hope your dh managed to make some good biscuits...at least he is trying.

Carol - Hope your BP is staying down and you've had no problems with the new med.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #250  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Hi everyone,
Just checking in to wish all my Golden Girl friends are very blessed, happy Thanksgiving.

I hope I haven't had any of you concerned about my not posting. My diet has been non existent since our own Thanksgiving here in Canada. And now we all have Christmas to get through.

My grandson from Alberta is flying home on Dec. 4th for a Christmas here that weekend with his g/f. The flight rates were too expensive right at Christmas so he got a cheaper rate by coming home sooner. I'll be going to my DD to visit with him on that weekend providing there is no snow storm.
Then for Christmas I am going to Trenton ( son-in-law's family) which is a 4 hour drive but my son-in-law will meet me about an hour from my place and drive the rest of the way while I park my car. More about that later.

We have had cold winter weather and snow but I did manage to get my new roof put on Nov. 19th, just before the snow came. The contractor will have to come back, however, to fix up a few problems with the installation.

Today is a bit milder so I am putting up my outdoor Christmas lights, wreaths and decorations. My indoor decorations can wait for another couple of weeks.

I have 3 dinner engagements with friends so far over the next few weeks which is where I have absolutely no discipline but I'll try to behave. I am disgusted with myself and my weight and really need to give myself a kick in the butt and get back to a diet asap after Christmas.

There have been too many personals to catch up on since my last post but I have read them. I'll be back in touch again with everyone. Thank you everyone for your patience with me.

Once again,
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU!!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #251  

Karrine Glad you had time to check in. I sympathize about the struggle to cut back and eat for weight loss. Same struggle here. What a great gift to have you Grandson there. Have you met his gal? Good to hear the roof is on, and surely the contractor will be back soon and finish.

Mary Yes, my FIL had severe silicosis and suffered so much with it but still lived till his late 70's. He was such a sweetheart. They tried to promote him to BOSS and he realized that he couldn't be as mean to the workers as all the bosses he knew did. Mother in law could really have had an easier life if he took the job, but realized he had to make that choice.

Glad you finally found a watch that suited you.

Shopping: How I hate doing that. I retired over 7 years ago and am wearing the same bras that I wore then and they are falling apart. Went shopping and found 2 expensive ones that fit properly and reluctantly parted with over $60. This morning I told DH I had on one of my new bras, but hated the price. He said "Well, as long as you use them, it is a nickle a day!"

My maternal grandfather died on the farm they owned when Mom was only 10. My grandmother was a fantastic cook and ran a boarding house for the single men who came to the Nitro Glycerin plants during WWI. She earned enough to buy a small home in a larger city and finish raising the kids.

Carol Re: the rapid heart beat I experienced early Nov. Dr. S asked if I could have taken my Thyroid meds twice that day. If I did, that would have explained it. I'm pretty sure I didn't take it twice, but will use extra caution. My history with him for past 30 years shows consistently low to low normal readings and after examination, he left me more relaxed.

Heading to gym and Massage. Scale slightly lower today. Lots of walking yesterday but had 2 candy bars for lunch. Dumb, wasn't it.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #252  

Just got home from Costco where I picked up a pumpkin pie. Even though it's a large pie, doubt its enough for everyone, however I am not the only one bringing dessert. I was thinking an apple pie would be good too. There used to be one store bought apple pie I liked but I can't remember the name now. So many store bought pies are not that good to me. I think I may cook the sweet potatoes tonight so I won't have so much to do in the morning. Haven't done that with sweet potatoes but have with regular potatoes and they were ok as long as I left them in water. Do you think the same will work with sweet potatoes?

Did a bit of decluttering in my nightgown drawer and panty drawers this morning. Still in the decluttering mode and am gradually working my way through the house. So much stuff I have kept for so many years and never use/wear! Some is even like new. I do need more casual tops however so hopefully I will take some time soon and shop for them. So it's not like I'm not adding stuff, but I'm getting rid of stuff I don't really care for or need.

Sandy - Glad your doctor visit left you feeling easier. I hate shopping too esp for clothes. I buy my bras online...it's easy because I buy Coobies. http://www.shopcoobie.com/?gclid=Cj0...XJQaAuJl8P8HAQ
They are not to everyone's taste...if you are looking for the perky look, you probably don't want them, but I like the comfort and the way they are made is better for my back per PT. I get the wider strapped ones for larger women. I am not really large in the bust but have a rather fat back. They frequently have sales and often I get a free bra too! Usually they are the thinner straps but that's ok to wear occasionally.

I can buy nightgowns online and sometimes tops...often buy from Pennys. I like to buy online from companies that have a local store in case I have to return. Often have them shipped to the store (free) then just pickup, try on in the store quickly and send back or walk out. No real shopping involved.

I've been guilty of eating candy for lunch too, Sandy...no, it's not the best but as long as it's not an every day thing it's not terrible. Hopefully the walking helped too. I have days I eat really well, others not so well. I do think persistence in good eating is the way to reach our goals but can't seem to do it. Esp now with taking the two meds that defeat me with my weight. I'm not gaining but also not losing. It does get discouraging, but I will never give up entirely. Want to be healthier, stronger and still want to wear the clothes my dd sells some day...

Last edited by maryea; 11-25-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #253  

I am picky about bras and I like them with a lot of support or they are uncomfortable. When they get stretched out and don't fit right they aren't comfortable anymore. I have to try them on in the store.

I have quit buying things. The only thing I buy anymore is groceries and health and beauty aids. No more clothes. I have enough clothes to last me for years. I buy basic things that don't actually go out of style. At least I don't think they are out of style. LOL I might look like I'm from the 70's and don't know it.

My blood pressure has improved but the systolic is still too high. Today it was 158/64. I have an appointment for my Echo on Monday and will find out if the valves have gotten any worse. I have to call in 2 weeks and give them my BP readings. They will probably increase the meds, but I don't know what will happen with the diastolic. It's already low.

I baked 2 pumpkin pies today and almost forgot to put the sugar in them. DH would have killed me! Usually when I'm baking I get out all the ingredients, then put each one away as I use it. I was in a hurry today and didn't do that. Good thing I remembered at the last minute. They would have been terrible.

I don't know anything about cooking potatoes the night before so I can't help you there, Mary. If you do it with white potatoes, it should also work with sweet potatoes.

Sandy, you should be OK as long as the rapid heart beat hasn't happened again.

Karrine, I'm glad you checked in because we did miss you and were hoping all was well. Don't worry about messing up on your weight. We all do that at times. You just jump back on the wagon and continue on. Just do the best you can over the holidays and then start fresh in the New Year. I have such good plans for getting through Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, but you know how plans go.......

Have a good Thanksgiving, everyone!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #254  

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! We have so much to be thankful and am looking forward to gathering around the table with our family to express our thanks and enjoy a good meal. I have both my casseroles made, just waiting a bit before putting one in the oven, which will be followed by the other at a different temp. Don't want to have them ready too soon as we aren't to be there until 2 pm. Dh went out and bought me a sized glass baking dish I needed...and it is so nice. It comes with a lid and I really like it, just the perfect size for my sweet potato souffle. Only made one mistake......I measured out the brown sugar then started thinking about something else and put about 1/4 of it in the mix when it was supposed to be mixed with flour and pecans and sprinkled on top of the casserole/souffle..don't think it will matter...at least I caught it before I put it all in and it tasted good...the rest has made a nice covering and looks very pretty. See I told you I usually mess up in some way when I cook anymore. The mac and cheese looks good but I think a bit more macaroni would have been better...however it was just slightly short if any of what I was to have. I measured all but that last cup. I did one thing differently...I measured out the cheese and maybe it was a little more than usual and that's why the macaroni looks less. I usually just guess on the cheese. I think it will be good regardless. At least I followed the recipe exactly this time.

Started my Christmas list last night, noting the things I have bought so far. I think I may return one as I don't care for it...bought one for myself and will return it too. I thought of something I have already that is actually better.
I'm like you, Carole, I have most everything I need. I do need need some clothes though. I seem to go through my tops kinda fast as I get them stained, often my pants too. But that's about it. Well I hope you don't still wear 70s style as for the most part I thought they were very ugly...but I doubt you do. I keep my skirts and dressy tops a very long time...just recently I threw out some from probably the 80s. They just didn't look good on me anymore and weren't comfortable with my big tummy. I have changed sizes and shape (even though not much difference in weight...what's up with that!) several times through the decades.

I didn't sleep much last night so am tired today but when I get home I'll crash. Hoping you all have a good day!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #255  

We had a good Thanksgiving. I didn't eat too much. I felt full, but not stuffed. I'm proud that I didn't eat any pumpkin pie, but it's not gone yet. LOL I will probably end up eating a small piece today.

Every year I go through my clothes and get rid of anything if I don't think I'm going to wear it again, but I still have so many. Casual and dressy tops, dressy and casual pants. Only a couple dresses and dressy pants suits. I buy basic things that don't go out of style, just straight leg pants and mix and match when I can. I wear different jackets and scarves with things to make them look different. I don't care as much about what I wear as I did when I was still working, but I don't want to look out of style.
Closed Thread