Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #106  

Height: 5'3"

When I read the updated benefits package I did find out our ambulance cost goes up $50. He mentioned that in the meeting but I thought he was talking about the other plan. That still not too bad though and we are still very happy with our plan. Glad you have a good plan too Carol Sue as it sure helps. I can't imagine having to pay for all our medical expenses on our own, but some people have to. I think many don't get the care they need. I don't understand it as I thought the Affordable Care Act was to take care of that.

It's about time to get ready for church...we have missed two Sundays so really looking forward to it. I'm thankful the the online videos of the services though. You can even watch it live and participate by asking for prayer etc, but I haven't tried that yet. I continue to be amazed by technology!

Hoping you all have a great Sunday!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, our local ambulance service is good. If you join, and pay an annual fee, they accept whatever your insurance pays as payment in full. I think we used to pay $40/year but now for seniors it's $25/year, total for both of us. One time when I called for an ambulance for DH I had my payment sitting on the counter ready to mail in. The EMT took it with her and turned it in so we were covered. They probably would have covered us anyway because we had paid in the past.

That's interesting about the online video of your church service. Is that just for your church members, or would I be able to go online and see it, too?

My computer is doing something weird today. I thought it was just the other forum I was on but it's this one too. It takes me to the bottom of the page and won't scroll up.

When I bought this computer I got a 6 month trial of Kaperskys virus program with it. At first I tried to download it but couldn't find anywhere that said it was for 6 months from Best Buy. Finally, I got an email from Geek Squad providing a link to get the free download. I did it, but now I am getting pop-ups saying that my trial is ending in 10 days, so what I got was only a 30 day trial. Now I got another email from Geek Squad saying that I have not yet downloaded my free trial. I will have to call them and see what's going on. I don't know if I will screw something up if I click on this new link while I already have the other one activated. I like Kaperskys, but don't know if I will pay for it after the trial. My son uses it, but I usually get a free program off the internet.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #108  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol RE: My computer is doing something weird today. I thought it was just the other forum I was on but it's this one too. It takes me to the bottom of the page and won't scroll up.

Sometimes my computer does this too, but never on this thread so far.

We had a wonderful time with our oldest daughter and her husband. Bless his heart he had picked up Bob Evans Broasted Checken and cole slaw for us to eat on the balcony overlooking beautiful mountain stream. He left his home at 7:30 am and we ended up at Motel in the mountains about 4:30 PM after some stops along the way.

Next morning DD road in our car and DH in his as we made the trip deeper into the mountains. Trees are turning so beautifully. Weather was perfect and having our daughter to myself gave us lots of opportunity to really talk!!! Same for the guys. SO grateful to our good Lord for eyes to see, ears to hear and such love in my heart.

Mary We have never used ambulance service, but I now wil check into it.

We returned to the new church for Mass Sunday and had bonus of a baptism of the third son of a family. The Priest was so good to make sure the younger brothers had a part and were included as well as encouraging the father to take his young son around to all the parishioners to see and welcome the newest member of our church.

I'm still smiling from a very good long weekend.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #109  

Today has not been an easy one...I have been breaking up my household tasks over the week and still didn't keep up with it so I've gone back to doing all the weekly stuff on Monday. I pushed through, kinda hit and miss, by 5 pm, when it's about time to get dinner. Had some family issues going on too..so many texts and I'm worn out. Because I've been neglecting my house so much in recent weeks there are lots of extra tasks I need to do but they did not get done today. Poor Halo she's been running from room to room trying to stay out of my way...she hates the vacuum. She jumped on a chair she's not allowed on, and I yelled at her and she jumped right down, went into the living room where I was working and jumped on the sofa, I yelled at her again, she jumped down and finally went back to her night bed in our son's room. She only rarely goes there but today was the day for it.
Poor thing. I'll be nicer after I've rested.

Dh had the denturist work on his new teeth again...he said eating is much easier now, so hopefully he's finally got the bite correct. I have encouraged him to keep going back all he needs too because it's free right now and I want him to be comfortable with them.

Sandy - That's good you've never needed ambulance service. We have used it three times.I had my last baby on the living room floor, delivered by a neighbor who happened to be a nurse. Her dh called the ambulance and they took me to the hospital to pass the placenta and get stitched up (yikes!). I don't remember the cost. We had Kaiser insurance. When that baby was about 16, she was playing soccer in a nearby town and a girl kicked the ball at her, breaking her nose. The coach called an ambulance and then notified us. I remember our cost after insurance (Kaiser again) paid was $25. Then in 2010 my dh jumped off a falling ladder, landed on our concrete driveway, his leg gave way and fell. His femur was fractured and the neighbors called the ambulance since I was not home. This is why I now don't go out much without him. There was no cost to us for the ambulance.

Carol Sue - That's an interesting arrangement you have for an ambulance. Never heard of that. We are just billed after the service is used. We also are members of MASA and they pick up any amount left after our insurance pays and they didn't pay so apparently our insurance picked up the whole bill the last time. We had Medicare and Tricare4life. They still are the actual payers but now we have the Medicare under Humana...it's a senior advantage program. They cover $300 per instance and I think Tricare4Life will still pickup the rest, hopefully. I hope we never need it but I'm glad we have good insurance.

Well son is home and no dinner ready...gotta get to moving again. Thanks for listening I feel better now..

ETA: Looked out and saw my dh was cleaning the windows! Felt bad about my being grouchy today. He doesn't do much housework...will put dishes in the dishwasher or empty it occasionally but that's about it. He works hard outside often though. I apologized to him and I think he knows it was partly emotions from the family issue. Probably the biggest issue is I haven't taken time to spend with the Lord today. I think instead of cooking we are going to Applebees. Hopefully I'll be nicer tomorrow.

Carol Sue - You ask about our live services online. I think anyone can do it from anywhere. I haven't actually watched a live service myself but I have watched videos of services after the fact. With the live you can actually interact by asking for prayer. I only know this because the pastor mentions it on Sunday. He talks to the online audience at times. Just go to http://live.crossroadschurch.net/ and sign up. Then you can either watch archived services or you can participate when they are live. Our services on Sundays are at 9 and 11:15 am and Wed at 7 pm. I am very blessed by having a great church with wonderful teaching.

Last edited by maryea; 10-13-2015 at 01:37 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #110  

Oh my this is good...it is from a Christian/Biblical view..sure spoke to me.
I remember Carol Sue, you liked one of her other articles, so thought you might like this one. Not sure you are much of a craver though...but I am!

http://takebackyourtemple.com/hunger...g-bible-study/

Last edited by maryea; 10-13-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #111  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Interesting article. I'm not usually craving anything, but the past few weeks it has been dark chocolate - then finally got enough and it stopped.

Sure hope you are able to rest and get housework caught up. I'm doing exactly what you described here. not finished, just too tired to continue.

DH and DD#2, (Pat) are heading to WV mountains to enjoy the trees before they drop all their leaves with the coming very cold nights. They will take fishing poles and cameras. They have such a good time together.

I have that day packed with appointments that I enjoy so no one will be home till late.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #112  

An easier day today so I'm glad I did all the cleaning yesterday. I went for lab work (prior to my appt) but forgot to fast so was sent home. That's a crazy thing for a former nurse to do, isn't it?!! No one told me to fast but I know I have to for the glucose. Duh! After that I went to our new Walmart (not far from us) to pickup a few things. I really like this store and it was a long wait for it. This was my second time shopping there. I still prefer New Seasons for produce and meat but the one stop shopping idea is great. We have other Walmarts and even a Walmart market (little store) but it's nice to have one so close now. I will use it for when we are already shopping there for something else or when I run out of something.

I had to get a battery for my watch so left it while I did my other shopping. Funny thing, I normally only wear inexpensive Timex watches with indiglow. I like the Indiglow so I can see it at night and I've never found a more expensive watch that was any better plus I prefer the stretch bands and they are not easy to find these days. So I get one for $30+ and only buy another if my current one no longer works or the gold plate is worn off too badly. At least that's what I thought I was doing...and they pretty much all look the same. But I misplaced this current watch a few years ago, thought I'd lost it, so bought a new one. Then dh found it, so I immediately took off the new one, put it into a drawer and started wearing the old one. It wasn't very old anyway. Well last night when I realized my watch wasn't working, I opened up the drawer where I had put the new one and found FIVE watches, all about the same and none of them worked. Couldn't believe it..they are all in pretty good shape and I don't remember putting them in there...so not sure whether I tried getting a battery or what...I think I'm getting senile! Anyway I decided to see if the current one will work with a new battery so headed for Walmart. This is getting pretty bad...I probably shouldn't tell people about my craziness! All I've done here at home is daily tasks, a little decluttering of papers, and cleaning the vent and light fixture in the bathroom.

Sandy - Dh and I have always wanted to take a road trip to see the fall foliage in the NE states. What is the best month to go? We also get the fall colors here and it's very pretty. I always say going up the west coast is really pretty and it gets prettier and prettier the further north you go right up and into Canada. The weather has been so different this year, I am not sure how that will affect our fall, but I have already seen some pretty colors so maybe not so much.

Well need to start dinner...we are having Alfredo sauce over chicken, and some kind of sauteed veggie. Dh will probably want rice too so I'll make it just for him and our son may eat it too.

Last edited by maryea; 10-13-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Hi Everyone,
I'm back from my trip up north to visit my daughter for Thanksgiving weekend. My DD had so much food and snacks for everyone and I got into everything including a few drinks. When I got home I made a small Thanksgiving Dinner complete with pumpkin pie for my tenant and myself. Now I have pumpkin pie left overs (my favourite). I completely blew my diet up north and continued when I got home As a result I have gained back all my progress to date and have to start over from scratch. I haven't posted sooner as I was feeling I don't belong here if I'm not dieting. So today is day one for me back on track if I am still welcome. I don't have much discipline when it comes to food if I am away from home.

We had beautiful weather for Thanksgiving weekend and here at home our Octoberfest parade day was pretty mild. The colder weather is coming back today. I need to do maintenance on my snow blower and see if it will start for me. If I can't start it I'll have to send it to the repair shop which will cost $$$$. Today I have to watch the Toronto Blue Jays game at 4:00 against Texas. They need to win today to win the series.

I'll start back on personals too but have read what you are all up to since my last post if that is ok with everyone.

Hello to all,
Karrine

Last edited by Karrine; 10-14-2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: to add ticker
Old 10-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #114  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrine View Post
I completely blew my diet up north and continued when I got home As a result I have gained back all my progress to date and have to start over from scratch. I haven't posted sooner as I was feeling I don't belong here if I'm not dieting. So today is day one for me back on track if I am still welcome. I don't have much discipline when it comes to food if I am away from home.

Karrine
Karrine, don't ever feel that you don't belong here. The only requirement is to be over 50, and that has been waived several times! As you might notice, we don't always "stay" on our diets, but really do enjoy talking about them. LOL

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving visit and had a little dinner for your tenant and yourself. Leftovers allow us to extend Thanksgiving past the actual day. I'm really looking forward to it here.

Mary, I'm glad to hear about your "crazy" stories. It makes me feel more normal. When I worked, I had so many watches, cheap ones, because I liked to match my watch to my outfit. Now, I keep forgetting to pull out the stem when I'm not wearing them and the batteries go dead. DH gets mad at me for always needing batteries. I have one good watch that my step-son bought me that I really liked for every day. It was both gold and silver tone and went with everything. I broke the stem and I'm afraid to hear how much it will cost to fix it. I guess I should just bite the bullet and take it somewhere.

Our dog barks at the sweeper, and also at the lawnmower and leaf blower. I don't know if he's barking because he likes it or because he doesn't like it.

I am going to look into that link to your church services. Also the link from Take Back Your Temple. I forwarded the other one to a friend, too.

Sandy, I am on an email list from Bob Evans. They just sent a coupon for $5 off a take-out purchase of $20 or more. We like their food, so I might use that coupon. I could have used some of their chicken soup when I was battling my recent cold. Still coughing and sneezing, but feel better.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-14-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #115  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

It is a nice sunny day here today. Walked this am with DH. He walked at my pace today and we stopped at a little pond with a fountain in our neighborhood. That is kind of my treat ~ thing I look forward to during my walk. But DH can't walk at my pace and go fast enough to increase his heart rate like it should/did at cardiac rehab. So, he walked on the treadmill here this afternoon. I appreciate that he would go with me to help me do what I need to do, because I don't have good self discipline to do it on my own. But I feel bad that he has to exercise twice ~ he doesn't really enjoy it but does it because he knows he needs to.

I feel in kind of a funky mood ~ a little blue, but don't know why. And I've been kind of munching, and shouldn't be doing that. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

I got to spend the day (most of the day) with my son yesterday. I always enjoy getting to spend time with him.

Carol ~ hope you continue to feel better and that your cough and sneeze goes away. How is Rusty doing now?

Karrine ~ what Carol said about being here. We all have times when we are struggling ~ it especially helps to come during those times ~ helps to know you are not alone. Glad you got to feeling better and enjoyed the time with your daughter.

Mary ~ glad you had an easier day yesterday. I don't think you are getting senile. My mom called it a busy cluttered mind. And you had more of those “family issues” that take a lot out of you. Hope those things ease up for you.

Sandy ~ hope you have enjoyed your day and your appointments. Glad your husband and daughter got to spend time enjoying each other and the fall colors.

Lynn ~ is the work on your condo done by now? Hope so for you, so things can get back to normal for you.

Soon it will be bedtime here. I started this earlier, but finally finished it just now. Better get it posted now. Hope you all have had a good day.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:25 AM   #116  

It's late but finally got everything done I planned to do today. Started out getting my routine blood draw before tomorrow's doctor appt, followed by breakfast at a place I've been wanting to eat at. I ordered three strawberry/blueberry crepes ...didn't realize they'd be so big and I was stuffed after two...never mind all the carbs..they were yummy and I don't regret a bite! Dh had to finish off the third one and he liked it too...I was surprised as crepes aren't usually his thing. He also gave me one of his bacon slices. Then after that big breakfast, we headed to the gym (guess we'd better, right?!!). I decided to walk on the treadmill..haven't done that for a long time. I only did ten minutes and only walked at 2.5 speed but I really enjoyed it. I get so bored on the track and on the treadmill I enjoy the inclines, going up and down...it's not all the same. I will increase my speed next time but took it easy today. I then rode the bike for 20 min and used the arm bike for my regular six min. Did a few reps on one weight machine, and could tell not doing them, I've lost a lot of strength. Hope I can rebuild. Came home and rested for an hour. Wrapped grandson's gift, decluttered more paper in my office, cleaned a little in the main bathroom...places I don't often get to. So that plus the usual daily stuff filled my day. Dh was not up to his usual energy or personality today...these family issues take their toll. Tonight he grilled some rib steaks I had marinated for several ours. I served them with baked potatoes and a little spinach I wanted to use up. Not as much veggie as usual.

Glynne - That's great that your dh cares enough for you to consider your pace in the walking. He is really trying to help you achieve your health goals. Glad you got to spend time with your sons...sons are really special to their mamas.

Karrine - we all mess up...just get back on track asap. I was losing and here I am back up again too. With yummy food so accessible it is not easy to resist.
but as I've said before at least we never completely give up. Continuing to try is still better for our health than if we just let go and didn't try at all. You are always welcome here...we love to hear of your successes and you inspire us, and you are welcome to share your mess-ups and we can identify with that too. Here we are still looking forward to Thanksgiving and you have it over with. Glad you enjoyed with dd and also with your tenant. I think she has a very good landlady! It always takes me a while to get back into my usual eating after I overeat at a restaurant or a holiday meal too. Do you have snow now? I hope we don't get any...it still is like spring here, but at night it is getting cooler.

Carol Sue - I also have a one "better" watch that my son gave me. It is not the elastic band nor does it have the Indiglow...he didn't know I like those things but I do like the watch..and I wear it for church and going out to eat in the evenings etc. My cheap watches are still my day to day watches. They get dirty and dinged up and it is nice to still have one nice looking watch to wear sometimes.

Lynn - I too am wondering whether the work has been completed on your condo. Hope things are going ok..perhaps you are busy with your school work, grading papers or something?

Last edited by maryea; 10-15-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #117  

Good morning ladies,
I got the balance of my outdoor work done yesterday in preparation for winter. My next door neighbour helped me put my patio table under my deck for the winter. I like to do that because I shovel the snow off my deck during the winter months. I was also very happy that I was able to start my snow blower. All it needed was a new shock absorber; oil change and fresh gas.

Carol - Thank you for your kind words in regard to my messing up. When I had a dog many years ago she didn't like the vacuum cleaner; garbage trucks or anything that made a loud noise. I always had to put her in another closed room when cleaning the house lol. I think it was her way of protecting her own space.

Gayle - that pond with a fountain near you sounds to be so peaceful and inviting so no wonder shy you enjoy that during your walks. Sorry you are in a funky mood - perhaps because summer is coming to an end? Glad you had a day with your son as at our age any visits with our children are so welcome.

Mary - Thank you for your kind words and I feel better now knowing that others on this thread have had the same experience. I started back on the treadmill yesterday too and my speed is 2.5 to 3. I really need to concentrate on increasing my time though as much as possible with my COPD. We are supposed to have our first snowfall this weekend but it won't stay on the ground long because all the leaves on our trees still need to fall and be raked up.

Carol Sue - I always purchase an inexpensive Timex watch which has always lasted me for years at a time. It isn't a fashionable watch but I like it. I suppose if I went out to more social events I might want one that looks nicer.

Our Toronto Blue Jays won their series yesterday against Texas. What a game!!!! I have a credit note for Sears so I might go to the store to redeem that today if I can find something I like in winter tops.

Have a good day everyone,
Kareen
Old 10-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #118  

I am reading a book, The Chamber by John Grisham. It is a very thick paperback, 676 pages, and not the type of book I usually read. But it has me intrigued and I think I am going to have to just sit and finish it as I can't wait to see how it ends. I have read other books by him and he usually writes about legal matters, trials, juries, etc. I normally like to read books with a little romance in them, but I'm really hooked with this book. Don't think I'll get any housework done until I finish it.

Karrine
, we clear the snow off our deck, too, because all of our dogs have been small and can't get out to the yard in deep snow. DH also clears a path in the yard for them. He's the only one in the neighborhood who uses the snow blower in the yard. LOL There is a chance we will get a wintry mix on Sunday night into Monday. That's early for us to get snow, but Indian Summer is coming after that. I have no idea how to operate either of our snow blowers. I know I should know how to do those things instead of depending on DH, but he doesn't know how to do things like write checks to pay bills, so we balance each other out. If something happens to DH I will have to pay someone to take care of things like grass or snow.

Gayle, when DH and I used to walk together years back, I was the one who was always out ahead of him and would double back because I was used to doing it, but now he can walk much better than I can. I have really dropped the ball and need to get moving.

Mary, I go slower than you do on the treadmill. I used to go faster but am no longer comfortable doing that. I am embarassed to say how slow I go, but at least I'm moving instead of sitting in a chair. I usually break a sweat by the time I'm finished with my workout, so it must be a fast enough pace for me with my health conditions. Some articles I have read online say that it's not necessary to go at a high intensity as long as your do some sprints now and then at a higher intensity for a minute or so. I like to believe them. LOL I would like to get to the point that I'm comfortable walking through a store without having a cart to hold onto. That's hard for me. We rarely go to the mall, but we went a few weeks ago and I walked to a store at the far end of the mall and it was very hard for me. I hate to think that I'm that far out of condition. I remember when I was younger and used to see older people having a hard time walking. I can't believe that now I'm one of those old people.

I just saw a segment on TV about Dick Van Dyke. He is 89 years old and still going strong. He goes to the gym every day, and goes so early that the gym has given him his own key. Maybe it's Anytime Fitness. It's open 24/7.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-15-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #119  

Went to my primary care doctor this morning. Even before I left home I got the lab reports from yesterday and my A1C was up...7.5!! That's the highest it's ever been. I really didn't expect that as although I've still had some high ones, I have also had many much lower readings. I was expecting it to drop down at a bit, so that was disappointing. I told him how I take so much diabetic meds in the am now and then I drop 2 or 3 hours later and even though I'm still in the normal range, I feel the drop. So now he's having me take one of them in the evening. He said it was his fault because he told me to take it in the morning.I like a doc who can admit a mistake. He wants me to keep better records and give him a two week chart of my bs. He checked me quite thoroughly physically but doesn't know what's causing my mild headaches. Wants me to take Flonase for a couple weeks to see if that helps, if not he'll considering taking away my bp med (or maybe just start by lowering doseage I may suggest). My BP is very good right now.

Much to do this afternoon...want to bake my son's favorite cookies for his party. Did get one of his presents today, I thought it would come too late, but the other one is not to come til the 21st. Got the cards and gifts are wrapped. Then shortly before we leave I will make his favorite macaroni and cheese casserole. His wife is doing all the rest.

Carol Sue - I have read several Grisham novels and enjoyed them. I've forgotten the names of most of them but do remember Jury was one. I haven't read the one you mentioned. Will check it out. I'm glad we don't usually get much snow. Every several years we will get quite a bit, and it's been a while but hoping it doesn't come. Its pretty but I don't like going out in it. I'm sorry you have trouble walking. I remember after dh fractured his leg, he preferred to lean on the cart pushing it rather than riding in the carts they provide. I was always afraid the cart might run off and make him fall but it never did. He did have a lot of upper body strength which helped us both so much through that time. He walks pretty well now, just slower than he used to and his balance isn't perfect. He has some back pain and that leg hurts at the knee where the screws are. Despite all this he jogged the track for 1/2 mile yesterday after walking 1/2 mile! He amazes me!

Well need to get to work..have a good evening.

Last edited by maryea; 10-15-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #120  

Good morning ladies,
Well I went to Sears yesterday to spend my $30.00 credit and all I got for it was a pair of thin knitted gloves and 2 pair of socks. Boy are prices ever going up for everything. Today I am spot cleaning my living room broadloom. I have a light beige carpet and I have a few spots around where I usually sit to watch TV and read. Don't know what the rest of today will bring yet.

Carol - Thanks for the tip on John Grisham's book "The Chamber". I used to read all of his novels so I looked this one up on amazon and liked what it said so I have ordered it. I need a gripping new novel to read now that I'm indoors most of the time again. The time will come when I will no longer be able to clear my own snow and will have to hire someone but I hope that is still a few years away. BTW, I like to use a cart to hold onto when I go shopping too so don't feel bad. It sucks getting old. I really should and need a new pair of good walking shoes as mine no longer give me the support I need.

Mary - I too have to watch my sugar intake as I am pre diabetic and hope that it stays that way and won't need medication any time soon. Great that your doctor admits to making a mistake with your meds. The last time I went to the doctor I was dismayed because my BP readings were over 8 several times but according to the lab tests I am still ok so go figure. Why do they have these blood monitors if bad readings still can be ok?? I love my homemade macaroni and cheese casserole too but only make it approximately once a month due to the fat content.

Hi to everyone else,
Have a good day,
Karrine
Closed Thread