Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #361  

Height: 5'3"

Yes I had been snacking too much in the afternoon. That's my problem...late afternoon sometimes, more usually in the evening. I'm really surprised I don't have more problems related to diabetes.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #362  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Started 10-day detox diet today. Just hope I remember I'm on it :-))
Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #363  

Height: 5' 2"

lynn are you very uncomfortable with this detox?

Mary I hear them suggesting we "snack on veggies." Honestly, is that the first thing you think of when you want to snack?

Last pain killer for my pulled tooth at 6:00 pm yesterday & that allowed me to get to sleep. Up every 4 hours to take antibiotic, but able to go right back to sleep. Doing ok today with mild discomfort only.

DD came in from walk in heat and very glad for shower. She is reacting to the vegetation we have in the east with allergies, the down side of our delightful beauty and moist skin. She lived in high dessert fighting dry skin.

Last edited by love2garden; 09-02-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #364  

Today is our 53rd wedding anniversary. We are going to see the The War Room and eating out either before or after. Since we rarely go to movies, this is a real treat. You may remember we did see Juarassic World recently but before that it had been several years. There is usually nothing I want to see that I can't wait for the DVD. Weight remains the same. At least not going up. My shoulder ached mildly last night from the shot I think..but better this morning. Our old car (22 years) died this morning and would not be revived. It's been giving dh some scary moments but this was it. Called AAA and it was towed to a garage. We are hoping they can fix it for not too much $$$. It has been a good car and dh wants to keep it as his fishing car. He actually drives it more than our new car.

Sandy - LOL I do snack on veggies sometimes but also (and mostly) on a lot of non-veggie things.

Lynn - How's the detox?

Carol Sue - How you doing? Please take care of yourself and see the doctor if you have any doubts about your health. We don't want anything to happen to you.

Last edited by maryea; 09-02-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #365  

Mary
CONGRATULATIONS! 53 YEARS is a lot to celebrate.

May your fishing car revive.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #366  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Slept well last night but not long enough. My judge of how well I slept is if I wake up and it's 5 AM and I realize I didn't listen to the talk show on the radio overnight. If I heard a lot of what was said, I know I was awake. I get an occasional palpitation but not like I was, and the pain was not too bad. I feel much better during the day.

We are supposed to watch my grandson overnight on Oct 3. I'm concerned about that because of the way Rusty behaves around him, or doesn't behave. Even if we put him downstairs during the night, he is probably going to bark all night. John has a tendency to get up during the night and come into our room and I hate to think of what Rusty would do if he thought he was an intruder. I might take Rusty downstairs and sleep down there with him. I won't get much sleep, but I rarely get much sleep when John is here because I always have an ear open for him. His dad told me that one night their security alarm went off and when he got up to check, John was sleepwalking and had opened the door. The security company called to see if it was a true emergency. I really don't want to watch him overnight but they have somewhere they want to go and stay overnight, and don't have anyone else to watch John.

Mary
, congratulations on your 53rd Anniversary! May you have many more! Hope you enjoyed your evening out.

A while back, I was being very careless with my eating and I had several BS readings in the 300s and one in the 400s. That was when I decided I had to face facts and change my eating habits. Now my readings are higher than they should be, but rarely go over 200. If I have a reading that high, I wash my hands and check it again. Sometimes something on your hands can give you a false reading. It's unusual that it went back to normal so quickly. I think you need to learn to snack more on vegetables, and give more thought to the snacks that are being brought into the house. And I say that only with love and warm thoughts for you.

22 years is a long time for a car, especially one that is driven on a regular basis. Jerry's Camaro is an 1983, but it has been a show car for a very long time and not driven much. Not many original parts. His brother has a pick up truck that is a 1978. It hasn't run for years, but he is trying to get it running again so he can use it. They just recently go it to start, but it needs other work before it is road ready.

Lynn, hope you're doing well with your Detox. Couple days in now...the end is in sight! The food plan seems to be a little easier once the detox is done.

Sandy, I feel for your DD and her allergies. I get them, too. Spring and fall. I recently tried OTC Nasacort and it helps, but so many of those OTC meds raise BP so I would rather have a runny nose than high BP. This is why I tend to stay in the house rather than spend time outside.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #367  

We had a nice evening last night...had a quick dinner at Olive Garden..for me just soup and salad ...dh got a seafood appetizer and dip for the breadsticks, before going to the movie. Really enjoyed the faith based movie. Thank you for the congratulations.

Tomorrow we babysit again overnight so think I'll pick up some fruit bars today. They really enjoy them and probably the last time as I usually don't buy them during the fall and winter. And at least if I share them, they are only 45 cal. I already have mac and cheese for lunch as last time my gd told me she liked that. And it's the boxed kind so I don't care for it much. I make my own now and then but not for lunch unless it's leftovers.

I took some Tyl with Benedryl about 1 am and was pretty hung over when I got up this morning, shouldn't have taken it so late but was trying to get to sleep without it. I was so itchy I couldn't sleep. This morning I asked my doctor to refer me to a dermatologist in the same health system. That way communication between doctors will be easier. When I was there Monday, I asked him to remove a lesion on the side of my face and he said he'd prefer I go to a dermatologist for that. My current dermatologist is not this system and hasn't help much with my itchy scalp and ears anyway.

We go to pick up the car today when they are finished. They found something else wrong (surprise, surprise!) so have upped the price to a little over $400. Dh still wants to keep it...says we can't buy another car for $400.

Carol Sue - I didn't double check that high reading...I've only had one or two other high readings like that. Drinking lots of water usually brings it down pretty quickly as long as you don't eat more carb of course. I agree with you on the snacking and appreciate your concern. I do need to snack more on veggies. However I don't often snack on junk food...I simply eat too many snacks or occasionally have too large a snack which is what I did that day. Cut in half it would have been fine. Also I think I had it too close to dinner, timing is very important to my control of my bs. For years I just ate all the time, not concerned with timing and I have a hard time, realizing I need to be sure to have at least two or three hours between eating and that snacks need to be smaller than meals. Sometimes I have set a timer to be sure I don't eat too often!

Time to get back to work..

Last edited by maryea; 09-03-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #368  

Hi Everyone,

I think I am in some kind of "making new friends" stage. A few weeks ago, I met a woman at Mah Jongg whom I liked right away - I usually take time to warm up to people. She and I have become friends. Tomorrow, I will meet a fellow faculty member from the University of Phoenix. We were in the same online workshop & realized we live about 5 miles from each other. We are meeting for lunch tomorrow. I am 70 - really thought my "new friends" days were over.

Day 2 of Detox is almost over. Today I had 3 meetings & found it hard to fit in all the food prep. Actually got up at 5 am so that I could make my morning smoothie & my soup for lunch. Amazing to me, but I am NOT craving anything. Also, not hungry at all. I think I am also losing weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
lynn are you very uncomfortable with this detox?
Hi Sandy,

Not hungry at all. Not craving sweets or coffee. I have so much food prep to do in the morning, that I don't miss anything.

However, I have had a headache, feel a little jumpy, and have indigestion (although this is probably bc my new doctor took me off prevacid & replaced it with marshmallow root - not really the detox fault).

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Today is our 53rd wedding anniversary.
Happy Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Lynn, hope you're doing well with your Detox. Couple days in now...the end is in sight! The food plan seems to be a little easier once the detox is done.
Hi Carol,

Today is day 2 - so far, so good. I figure I can do anything for 10 days. I haven't read anything about the next step after the detox. Probably need to buy another book for that
Old 09-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #369  

Last night I had a slight bit of palpitations and pain. When I got up to go to the bathroom my urine was dark, so I guess I didn't drink enough water. That needs to become a habit for me.

Lynn, I was reading DR Hyman's website and there was a question answer section. One person asked what to do after the 10 day detox and this was his reply.

Hi Lynne, the 10 Day Detox outlines the after detox process, reintroducing foods, retesting your vitals & toxicity, etc. It also introduces the Advanced Plan for continued weight loss and helping you pursue health.

Hey! This person's name was Lynne! Did you ask this question? LOL It sounds like he's saying the information is in the book. I bought a used copy of the Diabetes Solution but it's not for me. Too strict. I'm glad I only paid $2 for it.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #370  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Lynn, I was reading DR Hyman's website and there was a question answer section. One person asked what to do after the 10 day detox and this was his reply.

Hi Lynne, the 10 Day Detox outlines the after detox process, reintroducing foods, retesting your vitals & toxicity, etc. It also introduces the Advanced Plan for continued weight loss and helping you pursue health.

Hey! This person's name was Lynne! Did you ask this question? LOL It sounds like he's saying the information is in the book. I bought a used copy of the Diabetes Solution but it's not for me. Too strict. I'm glad I only paid $2 for it.
Hi, Carol,

No, not me - I spell mine without an "e." However, yes, it is in the book. Basically, stay on it for another 90 days if you have diabetes & want to get off meds. Not sure I can do this.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #371  

We are babysitting today and overnight again. They should be here soon. My doctor told me to take my meds before I eat, I usually take them with my food or after but taking them before is helping. I also started taking all my diabetic meds except for the second dose of Metformin in the morning. Just started that yesterday and it seemed to help too. Will see how it goes. My morning BS was the best it's been in a very long time.

I slept pretty good last night but with meds. The dog has been good the last two nights, not waking us up until 4:30 or 5. Of course I'd prefer she slept in til 8 but she's used to son's schedule and she sleeps most of the day. The first night when son is away is the hardest as she misses him. I think he'll be home tonight.

Lynn - never too old to make new friends and I think friends are very important to us as we age. Thanks for the anniversary greeting. I think he's a keeper for sure! Our biggest problem is his hearing loss and difficulty in communication but we will work it out. I feel sorry for him as it's even harder for him.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #372  

Lynn Wish you lived closer especially when you said
Quote:
I met a woman at Mah Jongg
I love the game on computer, but have never played with the tiles.

Carol The tremendous amount of care you need to take with the cardiac AND diabetes issue doesn't leave much time for anything else. Wish you could sleep better. A sleep walker guest in October will make that 24 hour period very, very interesting. So sorry.

I've been setting the alarm to take antibiotic every 4 hours since the tooth was pulled - Then can't get back to sleep. Last night, the 4th night, I refused to set the alarm thinking I'd be up in the middle night as usual.

I SLEPT 8 HOURS without waking up. Thank goodness I wore protection for bladder overflow. How much more energy I have today.

I worked almost 5 hours in the flower gardens weeding, watering, Digging up and replanting. Moving daylilies to back fence line that is suddenly in almost full sunshine after 20 years in shade thanks to neighbor's beautiful tall trees. When she cut them down because they were diseased, all my beautiful Hostas received the baking sun for 1/2 a day.

I am Digging up that root filled ground and planting Day Lilies that love the sunshine, but what a tough job that is. Some area is planted, watered in and mulched, giving a totally different look, especially when sitting at the picnic table. (That, is also in full evening sun so lunches will be all we can have there from now on.)

Mary I didn't know how critical sufficient water is for controlling blood sugar. I know someone who used to fill up an empty huge coke bottle with fresh water and pop in in the refrigerator. She tried to drink one a day, then added a second one and drank both each day. She did lose weight but stopping the coke probably had a lot to do with it.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #373  

Hi Everyone,

On day 3. Don't feel any better, in fact, have had a headache every day. The marshmallow root is NOT handling the indigestion. However, no esophageal spasms.

Tomorrow is an Art Festival in nearby town.

Have a great rest of your Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
I slept pretty good last night but with meds. The dog has been good the last two nights, not waking us up until 4:30 or 5.

Our biggest problem is his hearing loss and difficulty in communication but we will work it out. I feel sorry for him as it's even harder for him.
Hi Mary,

I take meds & also still have sleep problems. Want to get off the meds, but I've been on them for years. My cats wake me up 5 am also. Some mornings I can get back to sleep, but some mornings I give up & just get up.

Does your husband have any hearing? My son-in-law has hearing aids & they seem to help when he wears them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
Lynn Wish you lived closer especially when you said I love the game on computer, but have never played with the tiles.
Hi Sandy,

I play on the computer also - I can't get over 18% wins. The tiles game is kind of like poker with a yearly set of about 40 "hands." Every year the National Mah Jongg association puts out a new card with all the hands. You draw tiles & discard and try to end up with one of the hands on the card.

I wish I lived close to ALL the Golden Girls. I have thought about a trip around the country where I stop to see each of you, but can't really do this with my cats.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #374  

Lynn, I think if you continue to follow the plan as closely as you can, you will do good. It is a very hard diet to stick with. Very limited. They always say if you can follow your plan 80% then you're doing good. Most people think they have to stick to it 100% or not at all, but that attitude could get you back to your old eating. Try using the plan as a guide. The plan that Gayle is following is the same way. I feel it's a healthy diet, but I don't want to give up my eggs, or meat. I would be willing to cut back.

Sandy, I don't find my heart issues hard to deal with. It's there, I see the cardiologist twice a year and have an echo once a year. All he does at the visit is weight me, check blood pressure, listen to my heart and ask how I feel. I think how I feel carries a lot of weight because changes in how I feel could indicate a problem. Things have been good for 6 years so I must be doing something right. I know I need to stick with my exercise better. The diabetes is a different story. My diet is healthy, but I still eat some things that raise my blood sugar and I eat too much. I have to learn not to eat unless I'm hungry and stop before I'm stuffed.

I know that weight loss would make a lot of my problems less troublesome..... You know that story!

Mary, I have some hearing problems in one ear. I would be willing to wear a hearing aid, but don't want to spend the money. I do fairly well, but DH says I keep the TV too loud. DH says his hearing is perfect, but he says "What?" to everything I say and tells me I speak too low and he can't hear me. Then when I speak louder, he tells me to quit yelling at him. LOL

My brother had the same hearing loss that I have, so it is probably genetic.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #375  

Carol Ouch to hearing loss. Get some of the foam ear plugs for your husband then turn up the sound. If he is like mine, he will fall asleep part way thru, you switch stations and altho NO sound is made, those guys know when their choice is changed even in their sleep!

Your visit to the Cardiologist is similar to DH with echo. I've been in with them when Lucy does the echo and find it fascinating. That is how we discovered he has a small vessle lower down that needed MRI and is being watched, so far it is good.

Eating too much healthy food has been my problem for years. This Summer I am doing some better by asking that we keep "seconds" out of sight. After months of that, we are back to serving family style by passing the food and I have learned NOT to take more. I try to leave a lot of plate showing, eat so much slower that I used to do, and enjoy it far more.

I agree with your advise to Lynn. We can get tied in knots over trying to do all things "right" and on some things, "close enough" works, too.

I'm not very sore today from all of yesterday's gardening as I normally am. Can't understand it, but am thankful.

Sandy
Closed Thread