Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #346  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

For the first time in weeks, I feel a little bit better today. Not back to normal yet, but hopefully ~ little by little ~ getting there. The medicine (prednisone) is working. It is not one that I will have to stay on all the time. It is my doctor's hope that when she finds the right combination of meds for me, I will be in remission (as she calls it) and won't have flare ups (or rarely) that cause me to need the prednisone. I can do some things this morning that have been painful for me the last few weeks ~ I am so thankful to be starting to feel a little better.

Lynn ~ thank you for sharing with us ~ your health journey. Always something to learn here. Hope you are starting to get some relief and feel better.

Carol ~ glad you had a better night ~ less pain and some better rest. Your comment about your husband saying you are a hypochondriac made me think of my mom and dad. My dad said the same thing about my mom and made little digs about how many pills she was taking, and going to the doctor when something didn't feel right. Dad went to the doctor some and had a few medications, but didn't like taking those. Guess who is still living ~ Mom.
Yes, we are still doing the Fuhrman diet. I had a time when I had stopped losing ~ or not losing as fast as I was at first, but have started losing again ~ slowly ~ but that is ok. I haven't stuck to it ~ to the letter as much as Steve has, but have done way better than in the past. I actually like this way of eating and when I do eat something not on the list, I find that I look forward to getting back to the right things. I have had small amounts of things not on the list ~ here and there, and it hasn't led to a binge. That is huge for me. Last night we ate at Golden Corral (Steve has some kind of coupon for his birthday) ~ We can eat from the salad bar and cooked vegetables and fruits and still be on plan. I did let myself have one piece of bacon and one piece of fudge. (I think that is my best option for having something not on the plan like this every once in a while ~ in a kind of controled situation). My weight was up a couple pounds this morning, but I think it might have been some of the cooked vegetables ~ I tried collard greens, also some green beans. I think maybe some of the vegetables might have been salty even though they didn't taste too salty.

Mary ~ glad you were able to get Halo back in and not end up having to go chasing after her. Thankfully, the sciatic pain you mention, that was giving me so much pain ~ hasn't been as much of a bother ~ all these other pains took over ~ part of me wants to think it is because I have been taking more pain meds to get by ~ I had tried to use them sparingly when it was the sciatic pain. Part of me wants to think it is the good that came from PT and the exercises I was doing there for it. I hope to feel better soon, so that I can do those exercises for the sciatic pain again ~ so that it doesn't rear up again. I think the exercises for that really did help, but I was hurting so bad with this RA stuff, I didn't feel up to doing any of those.

Sandy ~ Are you still feeling ok after your auto accident? Hope you are having a nice weekend. I picture you in one of your gardens enjoying time with your husband or daughter and sipping on a coffee.

Guess I'd better get off and get something done.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

I am SOOOO aggravated with myself. Messed up on my goal to NOT eat sweets. Was having such a nice day with my niece & great-niece that I totally forgot my goal & ate a couple of pieces of chocolate & a scoop of ice cream!!!!

Absolutely unnecessary. We actually spent a lot of time talking about my new way of eating - they are both vegan. Somehow, the part of my brain that set that goal was NOT working!!!!

Lynn
Old 08-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #348  

Height: 5' 2"

Lynn We can always begin a goal again, or ad Judith Beck says, jump back on plan immediately, don't wait till tomorrow.

Gayle You SOUND BETTER!!! What a relief to be with less pain. This diet with lots of veggies sounds similar to the one I'm on, except I'm stable, not loosing.

Today is my last day for paid membership to the gym that is 6 miles away. I'll rejoin in October, but September is heavy gardening. Also, with cooler mornings walking is easy to do.

I did go yesterday with DD and got some work out. Getting in and out of her van is also a real workout. Taller for this 5'2" woman, but I did get in and out better than I thought.

Disgusted that I failed to water the 3 beautiful pots of dark red grass and white wave petunias until one pot may be totally gone. I may pick up something to put in the almost empty pot if I can find something that would blend.

Hope to get good sleep before going to get that toot pulled that broke off 6 weeks ago. (took that long to get appointment.)
Old 08-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #349  

Height: 5'3"

Didn't get much sleep last night due to us being on dog duty but am feeling better since I started the antibiotic immediately. May have even jumped the gun with it as I only had one bladder spasm and tried drinking more water and using the med for spasms for 24 hrs or so. I usually do that but this time didn't wait. Even though I haven't had anymore spasms I still don't feel quite right and am very tired. I didn't go to church this morning but when dh came home all three of us went to Burgerville for lunch.

My dd had quite a weekend running from Mt Hood to the coast! Not only was it raining and the high winds but her partner became ill while they were running. She was finally able to get him to help but it was a long hard run and she is very sore now. I am so proud of her and how she handled it all.
And thankful he got help and she made it safely to the end and is now home.

Lynn - Sorry for you about your slip but I can totally relate. I'll do so well for a while and then totally forget and eat wrong. We are human. And one slip doesn't end it all. We keep trying that's the important thing.

Glynne - I am so glad you are feeling better!

Sandy - Our plants haven't done as well this year because of so much (and early) hot weather. We got rain finally!! At first just a little and since then two hard down pours, but neither lasted long. Very strange, not like the NW at all where we usually just get a constant drizzle.

Last edited by maryea; 08-30-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 AM   #350  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Still no palpitations last night, but a wee bit more pain, not as much though.

Gayle, I'm so glad you are starting to feel better! I had PT for my shoulder several years ago and it helped. For a while I would still do the exercises if I had some pain, but now, no pain there. It would probably work the same with the elbow. Guess I'll ask the doctor about that, before I look into taking meds.

DH always says that I am going to live longer than he will because of going to the doctor and taking meds. He is much more active than I am, but recently started to get winded coming up the stairs, etc. When he cuts the grass, I noticed that he will sit down on the porch and take a rest and then go back to it. Right now he is cleaning up crab apples that have fallen off the tree and he is resting on the porch in between wheelbarrowfuls. I sure hope he is not getting another blocked artery. He will not go to get it checked until something happens. I recognize the changes in my body and go for a check up anytime something feels off. They always say that husbands usually die before their wives, unless it is something like cancer. So often when we go out to eat we will see groups of older women come in together. DH always says that's all the widows whose husbands have died.

Lynn, as Mary said, slip ups happen to everyone, but the difference is when you slip up and get right back on plan, instead of letting it turn into a week long binge. You can have something sweet occasionally. You will find that the longer you stay away from sweets the less your body will crave them. They won't even taste as good. I used to love United Dairy Fudge Bars, so I rarely buy them. I bought some last week and now I don't like them anymore. They taste way too sweet for me, and DH is eating them, even though he doesn't usually like chocolate.

Sandy, there are several nice gyms in my area...within 5 miles of home. Planet Fitness is the cheapest, only a mile away. AnytimeFitness is my favorite choice because I like the fact that it's open 24/7 and the door is always locked. Only members can get in. Membership is limited so it doesn't get over-crowded but it's more costly. The third one, I forget the name, I could attend free because it's covered under my medical insurance. The thing I hate it getting ready and going. I have all the equipment I need here, don't have to worry about what I look like, don't have to wait to use equipment and don't have someone waiting for me to finish, and in the amount of time it would take me to travel to a gym I could have half my work-out done. The downside it, it's harder to get the incentive to exercise. It seems like it would be more enticing to have the equipment in the house, but that's not necessarily so. I really want to get back to it, as I'm noticing that it's getting harder for me to get up out of a chair. My leg muscles need strengthening.

Mary, I'm glad the antibiotic is helping you feel better. It might be adventageous that you started it right away, rather than waiting until you felt worse. Nip it in the bud!

Yesterday I started taking magnesium to help with BP. I was afraid to take it because it CAN cause diarrhea, but it didn't. I think different forms react differently. I will wait a week then see if it lowered my BP a bit. Exercise should help too. I want to get off meds, not add more!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-31-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #351  

Jumped back on the wagon. Started this morning with one of the 10-day detox shakes - Almond & Strawberry.

LOTS of stuff in it. Tasted OK - not awful, but would have been better with some sweetener :-))

No coffee this morning - just my tea w ginger & lemon.

Stopped my prevacid this morning. Will let you know how this goes.

Lynn
Old 08-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #352  

Got almost no sleep last night...don't know why as I had little pain..I say almost because I probably slept some but I didn't feel like I did, and I know most people sleep more than they think. Got up once to fix my phone calendar...since I got this Android phone my calendar is not syncing with my computer calendar. Couldn't figure it out so just entered the stuff I wanted it to sync. Maybe it has to be on my phone calendar first That doesn't make sense to me and wasn't that way with my iPhone, but will see how it does now. Up earlier this morning for my doctor's appt. Just finished breakfast. My weight has dropped two of those pounds I picked up. It's a constant struggle.

Lynn - Almond and strawberry sounds good but I too would want it a little sweet.

Carol Sue - I take magnesium for cramps but am not sure it helps, maybe a little. Like most things with me they go in cycles so hard to be sure.

Sandy - Wake up Sandy! LOL I bet you're out in your garden already..
Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #353  

Mary No gardening today.

I had appointment with Oral Surgeons to get the broken upper pulled and a post for the dental implant. Forgot to take the Amoxicillin the Knee Surgeon recommends for any such procedure to prevent infection - and was already at Dentist. I asked if they had the 4 capsules for me to take, and she said no "Talk to nurse."

I was getting more and more anxious - took me 6 weeks to get the appointment to get the tooth pulled, and I couldn't go back home 12 miles to get the Amoxicyin. Nurse assured me they would give me an IV with the antibiotic and it would be in my blood stream immediately. I relaxed.

Wonderful, helpful nurses and the Dentist was a delight. What a difference from the horrible experience when I was in my 40's and had 2 impacted lower wisdom teeth removed!!! Of course this was an upper and not impacted, but they were efficient and even the shots to numb the area were not bad either.

2 days of inactivity means I get to be on computer, read books, talk with family, play games, and even nap a bit. Actually will appreciate the excuse.

Magnesium: DH takes Mag Ox to help prevent his leg and feet cramps. Is that similar to what you are taking, Mary?

Mary sorry you are having a trouble with getting sleep you need. Also, the frustration with getting your phone and computer calendars in sync. I just gave up and have the phone calendar up to date, and went back to using the desk 18 month calendar.

I made an excell spread sheet with all the doctors and dentists DH and I go to with the mileage from home to their office and back.

I left a column to enter the dates each of us go with a line for me and one for him. Surprised how many doctor's we have, and only 3 we share. Last year I was able to get a good deduction for taxes.

Carol Our youngest daughter loves Planet Fittness that is 2 miles or so from her apartment. Sometimes she is there for hours, and brags on a "massage chair" Her complaint is that it isn't open late Friday or Saturday evenings when she most would love to go. The gym I go to has locked door, I carry a card to get in, and staff there during the day but 24/7 hours open. It is clean, has up to date equipment, some friends also go but except when I'm on the bike, I simply concentrate on what I'm doing and don't visit.

Gayle Seems my body is the most effecient machine ever made. the old saying about cutting calories and increasing activity to lose seems to not work for me. My body adjusts and simply stays even. Thankful that at least I'm no longer gaining.

Lynn Having this group to report to helps, don't you think?

Last edited by love2garden; 08-31-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 08-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #354  

Just got home...dh decided to go with me as he had a bit of shopping to do and I did too so did that after the doctor visit. The doc checked out my shoulder and he agrees with PT that it probably originates from the problem in my neck and was set up for injury and then the bursitis started at some point, possibly with first injury 7 or 8 years ago, or with the one almost 4 years ago. So he gave me the shot...I had heard they hurt badly but it hardly hurt at all. He said my arm will be a little sore for a couple days and not to do anything too vigorously with it, but he thinks the pain relief should still be effective when I have the colonoscopy. So felt like getting it was the thing to do. Perhaps if my shoulder doesn't hurt at night I can sleep better too.

Sandy - Glad your dental appt went well. It is wonderful to have a good team helping you. My supplement just says magnesium but think it's the same thing. I get very bad cramps in my feet, ankles, lower legs and inner thigh and even abdomen. The inner thigh kind are horrible and not like a regular cramp but I guess that's what it is...this type cramp/pain travels up the inner thigh from knee to hip. I've never felt anything like it...started about a year ago. Since it only happens now and then, my previous doctor said he couldn't diagnose it and so far neither can this doctor. I noticed it has changed a bit...where it was like a jagged line of pain, the last time it was like it was in large firm bumps under my skin as it traveled upward...perhaps that is the cramp part of it...and I would press on them which seemed to help a little bit but definitely VERY painful and I hope it never comes back. However I do feel it sorta starting sometimes but recently it has not fully come back. I know my explanation sounds weird but that's the best I can explain it...there is probably a very logical anatomical reason for it if only I knew it. I am very thankful that it does respond to my cramp med. And perhaps the magnesium is holding it at bay

Our gym is a community center and is very nice. The parking lot does get very crowded sometimes esp in the summer when the kids come in for swim lessons. There is also a day care and I guess that's also more active then. We feel very privilege to have such a nice gym for free through our insurance. Even when we paid there for a several years, the price was very reasonable for us as a senior couple but free is great! And most everything is part of our free deal however there are a few special classes we would have to pay for. I think it is open from 5:30 am to 9 pm M-Th and shorter hours on Fri-Sun. The staff is all very friendly and helpful. I don't think the door is ever locked while it's open though so perhaps security could be better but we have a card system which we hold in front of a little machine that beeps us into the workout area.

Carol Sue - Dh has always said he's going to outlive me but not so much now that he's older. I am not sure about the doctor thing...maybe it will help but sometimes I think they might end up killing me! But then I remember all I can do is what seems right and do it prayerfully...the length of my days are in the hands of my creator. I don't really want to live a long life anyway unless the quality is still reasonably good. Of course I also think that mostly it is our lifestyles that cause us many of our health problems and I do regret allowing myself to get overweight and I still know I should eat better (mostly less!). I read a little book called, We Don't Die, We Kill Ourselves...and I think there is a lot of truth in that.

Last edited by maryea; 08-31-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #355  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I got a lot of sleep last night with no palpitations and little pain. I woke up twice to go to the bathroom but fell back to sleep afterwards. I had a couple of weird disturbing dreams. I don't know where they come from. DH always said it's from what you eat before bed. He thinks everything is from what you eat.

Mary,
DH eats what he wants, lots of sweets, and doesn't worry about anything. He says he would rather enjoy his life and maybe not live as long. He is not overweight. If he gains, he just cuts back and loses it. He takes no other meds than BP pills. He might need others, but won't get tested for anything. God help us if he ever develops diabetes.

Death is part of the life cycle. It happens to everyone, no matter if they have a healthy lifestyle or not. But our quality of life can be better if we keep a healthy lifestyle. DH said our bodies are like a car. If you let a car sit and don't drive it, everything goes wrong with it. You have to drive it periodically to keep the engine well oiled and running smoothly.

I don't do everything my doctor tells me to do. I make my own decisions, like adjusting my meds. I know it is not advisable to do that. Also, I don't have every test done that he recommends. We discussed that, and I agreed that he has to recommend things and enter it in my chart if I decline. That protects him if something should happen to me because I didn't follow his recommendations. He is comfortable that I understand that and I am comfortable that he accepts my decisions. I will admit that if I had had a colonoscopy done back when he recommended it, I probably would not have had to go through the 2 bowel surgeries, that were terrible!

Your community center sound like the one where my grandson went to day camp for the summer. He loved being able to swim every day. They also took the kids on hikes, etc, so many things that he would not get at a regular daycare.

If you read the "ingredients" on your Magnesium bottle it should tell you what kind of magnesium it is. I don't know why there are so many kinds. The citrate is the one that helps with constipation. I don't need that one! The one I am taking is oxide. I want it to help lower my blood pressure. I guess it will take a while to see if it's helping. I will have to google and see which one is for BP.

Sandy, DH was afraid of dentist all his life and avoided them. Finally, he had so much pain he went, and was so surprised at how easy it all was! I tried to tell him that things have changed, but he wouldn't listen to me. Glad to hear that your visit went well.

Lynn, I think the fruit in a smoothie is supposed to provide the natural sweetness. If you are accustomed to having sweets it will not seem sweet enough to you, but once you body gets used to less sweetener, you will not want that extra sweetness. I know you think you will never lose that sweet tooth, but the longer you stay away from sweets the less you want them. I don't like fruit, and I don't like to drink a meal, so that's why that 10 day detox would not suit me. Like you, I guess I could do anything, knowing it was just for 10 days.

Gayle, hope you are continuing to feel good!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #356  

Carol Great that you slept well, and pain was less, and no palpitations. Bad dreams are not a good trade off. My nightmares yesterday from pain meds still make me shiver.

Sure agree that I don't want to DRINK my meal. Chewing seems to satisfy my hunger far better.

I DO love most fruits and would hate to give them up. Detox is not in my future, either. Occassionally I like fresh fruit in yogurt and then blended as a healthy treat when mealtime is too far away.

So sleepy from pain meds, but would rather read than nap, but I can hardly hold my eyes open. Next pain meds in in 1/2 hour, I may allow myself to nap in recliner then.

Sandy
Old 09-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #357  

A quick fly-by-

Tuesday is BUSY for my online course - grading papers day. Going to my High Tea at 2 pm. I've had a headache for a couple of days. Borrowed my neighbor's BP machine - 158/75. For me, that's not bad. Maybe it's the sugar deprivation.

Will take my BS tonight.

Have a great day,

Lynn
Old 09-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #358  

I went to bed late (almost 1:30) but I slept good and was only in bed 7.5 hrs which is good to prevent fat storing per the FL plan. Woke up when dh left to go fishing but went back to sleep and finally got up at a little after 9. I was able to lay on my left shoulder longer than usual so the shot seems to be helping. Spent most of yesterday at clinic, shopping and doing laundry...little housework done but I did change our sheets. Was folding laundry while watch Ninja Warriors last night...one of our favorites...and during commercials continuing washing/drying laundry. Today I hope to focus more on cleaning house. Last night I was cooking dinner and suddenly did not feel well...checked my bs and it was 326. I was hot, felt like I was going to be sick or faint or something and was cranky. I drank 3 glasses of water and called dh in to cook the fish while I fixed the vegetables. I already had the fried rice done. I didn't eat any rice, but did enjoy the fish and veggies. And after I ate I felt really good rest of the evening. Think the extra fluids and protein helped. By the time I went to bed my bs was almost perfect.

Lynn - Yes, I agree that the headache is probably from going off the sugar. It affected me that way the one time I did it but after the withdrawal was over I was full of energy! I'd like to feel the energy again.

Sandy - Is your pain from the dental work or your hip? Hope you get relief soon and without the pain meds and bad dreams!

Carol Sue - There is no reference on the bottle to the type or source of magnesium. Only lists "other" ingredients, not the magnesium itself. The front label is high potency magnesium 400 mg. I have been very thankful not to have bad cramps recently whatever it is due to.

I didn't take any regular meds until I has into my 60s...first came BP pills...I currently take Losartan and hydrochlorothiazide for that and my bp is good. They would like my pulse to stay 80 or lower and it does creep up a bit but not badly. Next came high cholesterol...and I currently take Pravastatin. My total cholesterol is a little high but not too bad but my "good" cholesterol is a little low. Next came diabetes which for a few years I controlled with diet and exercise. Eventually I started taking Metformin which a few years ago was doubled (1000 mg 2x day) and last year I started Glimepiride (the one that made me gain 10#!) and this year I started Farxiga and recently doubled it. It is better but I think the only way I will really get control is to change my eating more. Then several years ago I started taking Nexium and Zantac for GERD. And I still have to pop a Tums now and then. So I take 8 meds in 12 pills/tabs a day plus lots of supplements...never thought I'd ever take so many! And I suspect just eating less would eliminate a few. When you think about it, it's pretty silly not to make the necessary changes isn't it? But for some reason it is much harder than it sounds.

Last edited by maryea; 09-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #359  

Hi Everyone,

Took my BS 2 hours after HIGH-CARB high tea. It was 134. Not bad considering all the carbs I ate at this tea.

Mary, you and I are taking almost the same meds. Add a few for pain & sleeping & blood thinners to deal with the stents and we followed just about the same pharmacology path.

Lynn
Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #360  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Last night I was cooking dinner and suddenly did not feel well...checked my bs and it was 326.

!!!!!!!! Had you just eaten? If not, you need to call your Dr. stat.
Closed Thread