Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #76  

Height: 5'3"

Babysitting this am. Got about five hrs sleep but feel ok. The kids brought their own bacon, so dh wanted to make pancakes for them as they usually want them. Didn't have enough pancake mix. I made some from scratch for them. Only one kid wanted pancakes and he didn't eat them. LOL That's the way it goes sometimes.

Except for the kids, nothing much going on. Going to try and get some housework done.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Love2garden, I had heard that jaw pain could be a heart symptom. The first time I didn't get in to see the doctor for a couple weeks. That time I just needed a stent. The second time I went to the ER. After 5 days of testing they decided I needed cardiac bypass surgery. I have never had a heart attack or typical heart pain...chest pain, arm pain, etc. Just the jaw pain and fatigue, and just not feeling well.

Mary, that's the thing about kids. They sometimes can't decide what they want to eat.

I went for bloodwork today for both my cardiologist and my PCP, so now I wait to hear the results.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #78  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Ran some errands while grandpa and Maddie went to the $1 family movie. I was looking at a couple places for a glasses frame I liked. Now I have to narrow it down and see which place has the best deal on them.

Had PT this afternoon. Not as sore as I was when I came home from it on Monday. It is helping I think ~ that sciatic pain doesn't seem to come as often and when it does, doesn't seem to last as long. Thanking the Lord.

Thunder, lightening and heavy rains late this afternoon. There was one lightening that almost seemed like it was right outside the kitchen window. Maddie said it made her feel like her arm tingled. I was making supper ~ I stopped because Maddie was in need of a lap to crawl up into.

Got a text from my friend, poor lady and her husband were in a car accident. Her husband just had a scraped knee, but the car that hit them hit right on her door. They took them to the ER and checked them out. She didn't have anything broken, but is hurting pretty badly. She was already hurting ~ has had back surgeries that have not relieved the pain ~ it keeps getting worse so that she has to ride in a wheel chair sometimes, because it hurts too much to walk. So now she is hurting even more. I feel so bad for her ~ she called me when she got home to let me know how she was and ask for prayers. You could tell she was almost ready to cry. Poor lady.

Carol Sue ~ hope you get a good report on your lab work. How is Rusty ~ has he gotten back to his old self? About turtles moving faster than we think ~ When Maddie was little, I took her for a ride in the stroller. We went to this little pond in the neighborhood. There were turtles up on the grass ~ sunning themselves. I thought we would roll on over there and see them ~ we never got anywhere near them ~ they saw us coming and took off running and got back in the water. Those turtles sure weren't slow.

Mary ~ when you have your grandchildren, are they with you all day? Maddie is like that with food sometimes. She will say she wants something, then just eat part of it. She likes these little taquito things ~ she has been liking that every day. Yesterday, she said she didn't like that one ~ it was too spicey. Came from the same box. Before this diet, we just ate what she didn't want, but now it goes to waste.

Sandy ~ glad that massage helped you to relax and feel better. Hope that your jaw pain is not like Carol Sue's was. I had headaches like you described ~ when my kids were little and sometimes nothing would help them. They too kind of went away when I hit menopause. The ones I have now I think are allergy (from things outdoors) or the atmospheric pressure. I take one plain Tylenol and one that has the caffeine in it. If I catch it right when it starts ~ that usually takes care of it. If I wait, then it doesn't always go away. Even then ~ these aren't anything like the ones I had when the kids were little.

Almost bed time. Hope you all can rest well tonight.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #79  

Before I post anything, I want to say that my PC was acting up again this morning, so if I disappear, that's why. DH is going to call the guy and see if there's a warranty on the repairs he did, but he's really leaning toward getting a new one.

Gayle, I will pray for your friend, that she gets some relief soon. Poor lady. Hopefully the pain from the accident is just sprains and will go away in time.

When we are going somewhere, I am constantly telling DH to look out for that car, or this car and he always says, "If they hit me it's their fault." but he is not taking into consideration that no matter who caused the accident, injuries can last a long time. I guess I'm a back-seat driver, but sitting in the passenger seat.

My elbow and arm have been hurting pretty bad lately and I might have to get another injection when I go to the doctor. It's funny, but during the night I noticed that it was hurting less and less. I thought I was just holding it in a good position for no pain, but this morning it's great. Just a bit of pain. The pain depends on how I move my arm. I quit taking anything for it, as my cardiologist warns me against most OTC pain meds.

The only thing I did different was take a Kelp capsule. I won't know what my thyroid is doing until I see the doctor about my labs, but sometimes I feel better when I take the Kelp because it contains iodine. I don't see any connection to the elbow pain, though.

Everyone have a nice day and a good weekend, in case my PC crashes and I don't get back here.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #80  

Rough night...slept one hour then woke up in bad pain in my right foot and lower leg. Took some ASA Back & Body but couldn't get back to sleep...finally thought well I'm just going to sleep in so took some Benedry about 4 am...still couldn't sleep...finally dropped off after 7 am and slept til 9:30, but lay in bed til about 10:30. My legs are still hurting but not as bad. I haven't taken anymore meds. Don't like to take it so often. I was asked to babysit...and turned them down at least for now. Won't be surprised if they don't ask again later. Will see how I am then. Dh says he'll help but he gets tired or busy with something and doesn't watch them, plus they come to me for most things. I feel bad saying no but think I did the right thing. It wouldn't be good for me or them right now.

I've been eating too much again and my weight has jumped up to 168.5 again....just go up and down. Trying to be more careful today. Funny thing, my bs is better.

My house is a mess...need to get to it today as we will have the kids here tomorrow and I hate a dirty house even if it's just my kids.

No time for personals, sorry. Hope you all have a good day!

Last edited by maryea; 06-26-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #81  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Good blood sugar is good news. Take care of yourself, glad you had good sense to say no to babysitting. That would just make you hurt more.

Carol Sue May your computer bless you with more months. May your testing show good results and if kelp helps anything, sure can't hurt.

Gayle Prayed for your friend who has such pain.
Your PT results sound so good. THere is hope, for sure.

I drove DH 167 miles over narrow mountain roads to get his hearing aids adjusted. Thank goodness for Warranty because one is not working and will be sent off. When it comes in, we make another trip so Larry can adjust both to fit DH properly.

Think the anxiety over making that dreaded trip was causing part of my jaw pain. Combination of Ice on Jaw, eating softer food, and meditating to help relax is making a differece. Best so far this week, right now.

Road construction added to the stress of that trip and now I can relax.

Blew the diet by having Belgium Waffle with pecans and Turkey sausage for lunch. Enjoyed each bite, and since it was soft, jaw was fine. UNTIL I drank the hot coffee!!! Oh h h h

Fine now. May each of you have a good day. I'm glad our grandkids are now adults!
Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #82  

Mary, some of us girls who post on the diabetes thread have found that when our weight goes up our blood sugar goes down. We don't understand it, either.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't sleep well and had all that pain. It's understandable that you wouldn't feel up to babysitting the way you're feeling. We haven't been babysitting much lately either, but the other grandparents are back here for the summer so they are picking up the slack. We do most of the babysitting in the winter while they are in AZ.

My arm felt very good most of the day, then it started to hurt again. I took another Kelp and now it's fine. I have to actually push on the elbow to feel any pain deep in the joint. I was reading some things online and it said that hypothyroid can cause tendonitis. The iodine in the kelp would help with the thyroid function, so that must be why it's helping with the pain. I can't wait to talk to the doctor about this, now. He is pretty knowledgeable, but I think if I am going to start having thyroid issues along with the diabetes maybe I should start going to an endocrinologist. Another doctor to add to the list. It feels so good not to have that pain in my arm!

Love2garden, I'm glad I didn't have to make that long drive! Glad to hear you made it safely.

So far the computer is working OK.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #83  

Well my pain eased a bit by this afternoon, so I told them I would babysit. The kids are outside right now. It's been really hot today but think it is beginning to cool down slightly now. Tomorrow when we are having the birthday party it is to get to 99 degrees. Hopefully not early afternoon, but I'm sure it will be hot. We plan on turning on the sprinklers for the kids plus I think there will be one of those balloon houses (well that's what I call them). I think there will probably be 5-8 children, possibly more besides the adults.

Nana the Portland kids other grandma is doing a lot more babysitting than us. She lives closer to them plus is a few years younger and healthier.

Sandy, that's a long way to go just to get a hearing aide adjusted! Belgium waffle sounds yummy! I haven't liked turkey sausage in the past but have recently learned to like chicken sausage so maybe I would now. Sounds like a tasty breakfast.

Glynne - Glad to hear your sciatica is not showing up quite as often. I know how that hurts.

I hope to get my kitchen floor mopped in the morning before the party and also quickly run a vacuum over the family room carpet. Otherwise I got quite a bit done today. They are just using our back yard...I am not responsible for anything. Whew! I think they are serving pizza and a veggie tray...keeping it simple. There will be a pinata for the kids too.

I've done much better with my bs today...before lunch it was 98...that's great for me. Still a little high 2 hrs after but seems to be coming down. I ate too many blueberries tonight, I was thinking 1 1/2 cups was a serving but guess it's just a cup. I love blueberries!

This week has flown by...I can't believe tomorrow is Sat already!
Old 06-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #84  

Mary, I wouldn't worry about over eating blueberries. They are discovering that they have so many healthy properties. It may be more than you should eat, but it's a lot different from overeating cookies, etc.

The party sounds nice. The kids should have a good time. We have had rain all week and it's going to continue through Thursday, so no one will be having outdoor parties in our area.

My weight hasn't been good lately. My ticker says 196 but all week I was up around 203. This morning I'm down to 200. I'm hoping that I continue to lose so I don't have to change my ticker. I hate to be such a liar! LOL

Yesterday morning I took a shower but didn't wash my hair. I wanted to wash it before we went out to eat but our water got shut off. There was a brake in the water line up the road. That's the second one in a month. So I had to just fix my hair the best I could. When we got home the water was back on.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #85  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Ahhhh ~ a day off from kid watching duties. Yesterday was kind of a rugged one. Miss Maddie was sassy and difficult ~ not all day, but part of the day and it wasn't fun. Grandpa was off to an appointment and errands. She gets like that sometimes when he is here, but he has been looking after her for such a long time now that he knows better how to deal with her. When she gets like that, I am really scared that she will get mad and go out the front door and take off (maybe trying to go home as she lives right around the corner on the next street over) and that I wouldn't be able to catch up with her. Most of the time, she is so sweet ~ it makes my heart ache when she acts like she did yesterday. Sara is already dreading the teenage years with her.

Sometimes I wish that there were other options for Maddie's care while mom and dad are at work. We do it to try to help Sara financially. I wonder if she would be better off if she could be with some kids her own age and maybe she would behave better for someone that is not grandma and grandpa. She gets good behavior reports at school. I guess she is human like the rest of us and has moments that she's not at her best.

Carol Sue ~ glad your computer is still working. You'll get back to your ticker weight ~ you aren't far from it. Glad that your arm felt better yesterday. How is Rusty doing?

Mary ~ glad your pain eased up some. The birthday party sounds fun. Yea ~ for the better blood sugar. You need to take care of yourself ~ the cleaning can wait ~ it isn't going anywhere.

Sandy ~ wow that was quite a drive. Glad you made it there an back safely. Thankful that you didn't have to make that trip in the snowy icy weather.

Gonna make some foods today. Getting the hang of this way of eating, how much to buy and kind of when to fix stuff.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #86  

Height: 5' 2"

Gayle What a great break you have today! Isn't it great to have what should be a "normal" day?!!! I understand a fear of a run-away-child. Our youngest was 5 when we were in Atlanta Mall and she ran away and hid under clothes hanging near by. She didn't answer me or my sister and I was in panic. We got them to announce to watch at all doors for her, describing her and then could only continue to pray. Finally she got tired of hiding and came out. Clerk brought her to us and I hugged her so hard and thanked God just as hard.

Next trip to Disney she had a harness on that I held onto. Funny later she became so clinggy that she wouldn't go anywhere without me.

Carol Sue you mentioned that "hypothyroid can cause tendonitis" according to something you read on the web. I am hypothyroid and well controlled with meds. However, like you, I'm concerned that I may not be getting enough iodine. Need to buy some Kelp again. How do you take yours? I used to add it to V-8 juice.

Mary The activity at your home is amazing. Always busy. Hope you enjoy this weekend and don't work yourself to death.

DD#2 at the FestivALL booth hopefully selling some of her beautiful art work. She has spent so much time an effort for weeks preparing.

House is so quiet without her working in the front room that is now her studio. She was cutting acrilic to make holders for her beautiful cards, and the sound was so horrible I had to leave the house. I asked her to put in ear plugs, and she did.

Often she simply paints, or works on the Excell spread sheet that keeps track of which painting is in what gallery or needs to be picked up on what day. Also her correspondence which is huge, and her Art newsletter that she produces and sends out several times a year.

I'm so grateful that my part is to brag on her work, which is so easy to do, and to simply ignore the mess till she cleans it up, which she does.

Cooler here today, such a blessing. 1-1/2 inches rain in 2 days means I don't have to water pots or veggies, but the weeds are also growing a great pace.

Sandy

hypothyroid can cause tendoniti
Old 06-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #87  

The party went well except several people couldn't make it. The kids had a pool and water slide to play in and really enjoyed it. They had a Minnie Mouse pinata so lots of candy. Also pizza and a veggie tray. Oh and yummy cake. I ate too much and here I was doing so well yesterday..well most of yesterday but so far today, not good at all. That's the way I tend to do...inconsistent. The only time I was consistent with my diet was the time I lost 33 1/2 # but haven't been able to do that since and am getting close to what I weighed when I started that now. Grrr... It's not a matter if not knowing how it's a matter of choosing to do that all the time..All I can say is, tomorrow is another day..

Sandy - I didn't have to do much really today...the kids did it all. I handed them a table cloth for one table, and provided utinsils, and towels. Dh turned on the water and put out chairs. That's about it. They brought everything else. Thats nice that both of your dds are artists and that she cleans up!
I hope she does well selling her work.

It was suppose to get to 99 today but only got to 92. It was hot but there was a nice little breeze which helped. Still it felt good to come in the house and feel the AC for a few minutes now and then.

Glynne - It is hard on grandparents when kids aren't acting nice. I struggle with that...I'm not a mama, I'm a grandma and I don't want to discipline. I was very much a disciplinarian as a parent. I was loving but I was also strict. Tried not to be unreasonable, but looking back now I think maybe I was too strict at times but mostly I think I did good. Regardless I know I did the best I was capable of doing at the time and I worked very hard at being the best parent I knew how to be. But I don't want to have to be a parent again.

Carol Sue - Well turned out it wasn't just the blueberries ..I also ate a lot of baked caramel corn and milk with it! But overall I guess I did ok, as I dropped a pound...today I ate too much again so up and down I go...
But normally, most things I eat are on the lower carb end.

Last edited by maryea; 06-27-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #88  

Mary, it seems that I'm saying "tomorrow is another day" way too often anymore. I rarely eat sweets, but I have trouble with other starchy carbs. I bought some bread at Target. It's Silver Hills organic sprouted whole grain. It's from Canada. I keep my bread in the freezer and only eat a slice now and then. I tasted this and it is so good, I had to go back and have another slice. Eating too much makes it not so good for me, even though it's healthier than the white bread that DH eats. I love grainy chewy bread.

Gayle
, it's nice that you got a day off from Maddie, even though I know you love her dearly. I think kids will push to the point that they know they can get away with, and grandparents are always more lenient than parents. DH is much better with our grandson than I am, like your DH. He lets him do whatever he wants. He says he doesn't get much time with him and doesn't want him to remember Pap Pap as someone who yelled at him. I'm glad that my step-son and wife both have well paying jobs and they can afford day care for John, and he enjoys having other kids to play with, which he doesn't have at home. No neighbor kids.

Rusty is improving every day. He finally started playing with the toy that the neighbor bought for him the first day. Not a lot, but I've been finding it in different places around the house and know that he's carrying it around. I also saw him playing with one of my garden gloves that are kept on a low shelf next to the back door. I guess it smelled like mommy. LOL DH keeps reminding me that I wanted the other dog that was his kennel mate at the shelter, but chose Rusty because DH liked him. I wouldn't trade Rusty now for any other dog. He's very loving, but still a little timid.

Love2garden, the Kelp I take is in capsule form which I just take like a pill. I probably got it at Walmart. I realize that I probably shouldn't be taking it without knowing if I'm actually low. I buy iodized salt, but I rarely use much salt. I just know that for some dumb reason it stops the pain in my elbow/arm. It does nothing for the pain in the thumb and index finger of the same hand, which is probably RA. They hurt and are swollen up like little breakfast sausages.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #89  

I'm with you Carol Sue...I keep saying tomorrow I'll do better but so far it's not happening very often. Today has not been good again. So far my weight is stable..up and down a pound or two now and then. I'm also like you that I like the whole grain bread...dh has always preferred the white spongy stuff he grew up on but he has been good about eating the healthier kind most of the time since I switched us over many years ago. I guess I convinced him.

It's suppose to be in the 90s again today. We went to church and out to eat. Now I feel like a nap. Not much to talk about. Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #90  

I am asking for prayers for my Son-in-law. He is not sick, but he has applied for a different position where he works and it will really help them get out of a financial rut if he gets this job. It is for Fire Chief at the plant. He has been a volunteer fireman for 30 years and Chief for the past 10. He has taken numerous classes for fire fighting and it very experienced. In fact, that's what got him into the company in his current position, dealing with nuclear waste. I guess it will all depend on who else applies and their background in firefighting.

This has been the rainiest June I can remember. It has rained almost every day for the past couple weeks and this week the only dry days we are going to have are today and Thursday. Rain is good for the crops, but not when there's storms. A tornado touched down in a neighboring community over the weekend. No one was injured but it caused a lot of damage, knocking down trees. One landed on a house that was up for sale.
Closed Thread