Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, I found the dog food online but most places want $6.99 shipping for a $15 bag of dog food. When we first got him I checked the pet store in town and didn't see it, but didn't ask. We went there yesterday and asked. They said they have more dog food on the other side of the store because they ran out of room. Such poor store management! They had it, but were out of a lot of the flavors and only had 1 bag of the one we wanted. It almost looked like they are going to stop carrying it. If so, I found another place that has it. It's 20 miles from us, but we go by there every couple weeks so it wouldn't be out of our way. Tomorrow, Rusty has a vet appointment so I will see if the vet carries it. They are not listed online as one of the places that have it. He still isn't eating as much as usual. Maybe because DH keeps feeding him deli turkey.

I also think that so many other people have worse problems than I do and I should be thankful it's not worse.

Love2garden, my step son is very strict with his dog because he wants him kept lean for hunting. He does not allow anyone to give him any human food. The only exception was when John was a baby, after they took him out of the highchair Jag would eat all the food that had dropped into the seat. LOL Anytime anything hits the floor the dog scarfs it up before anyone can stop him.

Gayle, I always have to give jars to DH to open for me. Have never found anything that helps. If something happens to him I will have to quit buying jars. Let me know how your gizmo works.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #62  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Carol Sue ~ I have a thing for opening jars ~ it has worked pretty well for me. Here is a picture of it ~ it works on several sizes of jars. I can't remember where I got it ~ maybe Walmart?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg jar opener.jpeg (6.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #63  

Gayle, I have one of them. I got it at Goodwill. It didn't help me, but maybe I'm not using it correctly. I try so many things. I have those rubber things that grip the jar. My mother used to run hot water over the lid and tap on the lid with a knife. I have tried those things and occasionally they will work. I get so frustrated that sometimes I just want to smash the jar with a hammer. LOL

This morning I was still half asleep when I heard a woman talking on the radio. I'm not sure what the subject was, but she said that a lower calorie vegetable based diet promotes longevity.

Today, Rusty goes to the vet. I can't wait to see how he acts around other people such as other customers and also the vet and vet techs. He mostly doesn't like men. The vet we used to go to for Pupper was a woman, but when we called the same place for this appointment they said it was "Dr Davis" and I didn't ask if it was a man or woman. DR Bendix owns the clinic but other vets work for him and they come and go. I hope he behaves. We mostly want them to check his incision from being neutered and get his name on record in case we need them in an emergency. They don't like to take emergencies unless the animal is a patient on record with them. There is a 24HR emergency vet in the next town but they are very expensive. Like going to the ER instead of the doctor.

Yesterday we took Rusty to the store. I went into the store and DH stayed in the car with Rusty. He just looked out the window watching people go by, didn't bark at anyone, but might have if they approached him. He had been in a house that was over-run with dogs and I don't think he's accustomed to people.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-23-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #64  

Mary, I ate a half cup of lentils at lunch time yesterday and before dinner my blood sugar was 95. It hasn't been below 130 in months. I can't say it was the lentils, but that was all I had for lunch and they didn't raise my blood sugar. It could also have dropped because I didn't eat anything else.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #65  

Height: 5'3"

A restless night, some pain but mostly just couldn't sleep. Got up and decluttered the bathroom shelves at 2 am, back to bed at 3 and finally fell into an off and on sleep sometime after 4 am. I'm still tired, but trying to get going. Need to figure out what to get my gd for her birthday. Her birthday is today but her party is the 27th. May try to call her at some point today when dh is home. She isn't real responsive but still might think it's fun. She isn't really talking yet, mostly just makes sounds, but knows what she wants and lets you know. They are testing her and may put her in a special education class like her brother.

Last night we went to a restaurant we thought was new to us. As we got close, dh started thinking we'd been there but couldn't remember whether we liked it or not. Turned out to be like a Panda Express. The food was ok, but not great, we probably won't go back. I'm sick of Chinese, Mexican, hamburgers ...I yearn for a place that serves good healthy food that is tasty but light, not so much fat or sodium. There don't seem to be many restaurants like that. I also do not want to have to eat salad every time I eat out.

I have trouble opening jars too but think in my case it is simply that I'm so weak. Glad dh still has a lot of strength. Fortunately I don't buy much in jars...peanut butter and occasionally peaches and pickles...that's about it. Do have lots of condiments in bottles but they are usually easier to open.

Almost too sleepy to type...going to try to exercise..maybe it will wake me up...more likely make me want to take a nap. LOL

Last edited by maryea; 06-23-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #66  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Sympathy offered for sleepless night. Sometimes I wonder if we still have "cycles" of weeks of energy and a week of restless no energy. Last week I was so pleased with how much I moved, accomplished lots and we had so many days going places.

Today, inspite of walking the furthest distance this morning (in couple years) I have not been able to do much else. I did sleep well last night, however.

CarolSue Blood sugar good sounds hopeful. I love lentils and am glad to know.

How did Rusty do at the Vet?

Gayle I also have one of those devices but my hands are small and arthritic so jar opening is possible with machine only.

I agree that finding a restaurant that serves healthy food that isn't expensive would be great.

New Panera Bread opens about 12 miles from here on the way to Pharmacy and to Church. DH loves their soups and sourdough bread. He is so pleased. They do have tasty soups.

The wonderful food we had Sunday had a bad side effect. I began itching all over as if ants were crawling over me for hours. Nothing seemed to stop the itching. Finally fell asleep after 2:00 am. Hate to blame the food but can't figure what else it could have been. Perhaps some kind of flavor enhancer like MSG that used to be used so much.

Sandy
Old 06-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #67  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

Had a nice day yesterday. Grandson Corbin came over to bring some sneakers for his mom ~ she has been running on the treadmill each night when she comes here to pick up Maddie before she goes home. Corbin had worked the early shift (local pizza place) and was bored and also trying to escape their squaking parrot. So, he decided to stay with us and visit until his mom got there. He started out standing up, then sat on the floor, then layed down on the floor ~ eyes getting heavy. Then he switched to the recliner and was a goner. He slept right through mama running on the treadmill. While he was awake, we had a nice visit. Being a busy kid ~ school (he will be a senior when school resumes in the fall) and working part time ~ picking up even more hours during the summer, we don't get to see him very often any more. I secretly loved it when he didn't have his drivers license yet and needed me to take him to work. I knew that wouldn't last though. He is such a nice kid ~ just awesome (I can't help it, I'm biased) LOL.

Been fighting a headache all day. I haven't had one in a while. I think it is because I bought some reading glasses yesterday ~ the ones I had broke and I can't see to read without them ~ and I got the wrong strength. I finally got a new prescription from the eye doctor, but need to pick out a frame. I have looked at one place and made notes, but haven't had a chance to go to a couple other places. Will do that on Thursday when grandpa and Maddie are seeing the weekly $1 family movie. Then hopefully decide soon so I can get my regular glasses back.

Sandy ~ I think you might be right ~ that we have some kind of cycle that affects our energy and sleep too. I have times ~ seems to happen like a cycle where I don't sleep well, then will go a while and sleep ok. I have read that sleep and other things are affected by the phases of the moon. Sorry you got the itches after your meal and that you weren't able to get to sleep until late. Hope that passes soon.

Mary ~ sorry that you also were not able to sleep well. Hope you are able to find some places to eat that will have more of what you have a taste for. Were you able to maybe take a nap and get refreshed a little?

Carol Sue ~ How did Rusty do at the vet? Glad you were able to find a closer place to get his food.

Well, almost time to start fixing DH's supper. Hope you all have had a nice day and praying for a good nights rest for you all.

Last edited by glynne; 06-23-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #68  

When we first got to the vet's office, I got out of the car and started walking toward the building while DH got Rusty out of the back seat. He had his leash on. Then I heard DH yell "Carol" and turned to see DH chasing Rusty across the lawn. This vet is on a major 4 lane highway! I yelled for Rusty to come to mommy and he did, thank God. He was very calm while he was getting examined and I was surprised, but the vet was a woman and so was the tech. He tends to like women more than men. They said he needed a booster shot for distemper and gave it to him, with DH being reluctant. He doesn't even like shots for humans. After we got home, Rusty became very listless and is just lying around, not eating, drinking, etc. We are worried. It's possible that this can be a side effect and he will be OK, but after what happened with Pupper, we're scared. I will call them when they open, but I'm sure they will say it's just temporary, or they will tell me to bring him in and charge me again. I know for a fact that DH will never let him get another shot. By law, he has to have a rabies shot, but the other shots are up to us.

Gayle, I also use those store-bought reading glasses. I have used +2 for a long time. The last time I bought them I coudn't remember the number and I bought +2.5. They are noticeably a little stronger and I have had an occasional headache but didn't make the connection. I remember that you are prone to headaches. I hope you get your new glasses soon and don't have to depend on the readers.

Corbin sounds like a very nice kid. Teen years can be difficult for some but he sounds like he's responsible and dependable.

Love2garden, I too get a lot of all-over itchiness and I blame it on my psoriasis. Sometimes I take a benedryl to help me sleep. I have scratched my leg during the night and caused bleeding, it gets so irritating. Also, sometimes I put hydrocortisone cream on my legs. If you ate out, it's very possible that something in the food caused the itchiness. I hope you feel better now.

Last night I found a very interesting article about exercise that all of you might be interested in reading. It made me want to get on my treadmill for a walk, but it was late, so I didn't. LOL

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...lin-fat?page=1
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #69  

By the way, DH decided that he is going to spray Round Up on the hill behind our house and kill everything rather than weed whack it this year. That means the forget-me-nots and buttercups will be gone. I am OK with this because I know that doing that weed whacking is really hard on him lately. His son would do it, but DH won't let him help. Stubborn. He goes over to his son's house to help him with things all the time, mostly fixing electrical work. He sprayed the hill several years back. It will go down to bare dirt. Then the next year he will get some fast-growing grass seed and scatter it up there. It will take several years before the weeds and overgrowth come back. I asked him to try to leave the forsythia bushes and he said he will if he can avoid spraying them. It looks so pretty in the spring but so terrible once summer comes, and keeping it cut down keeps the groundhogs away. Let them live in the neighbors yard.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #70  

Rusty is starting to get back to normal.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #71  
Want to feel better

Carol Sue ~ so glad Rusty is getting back to his old self. I wonder if he got a scare when he was on the run ~ and scared because he sensed you guys were scared. So glad he listened to you and didn't get out in that traffic.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #72  

Height: 5'3"

We went to the gym today finally. I walked the track ten min, arm bike six min, and three weight weight machines. I forgot to watch the time, and ended up waiting a few min for dh to finish the track. He says he walked 30 min
so perhaps I quit a little too soon again. I was tired though. Then I went to Target to get a gift for my youngest gd. Wanted a Little Pony...but they are changing them and I didn't like what I saw so just got a real little one and also got her a Barbie. She likes to comb their hair mostly. Then we went to get gas at Costco but didn't shop there, and stopped at Winco for a few groceries. Dh went in and I sat in the car because I was so tired and I think I dozed off for just bit. I slept about 7 hours (interrupted but still good for me), last night but I don't think it made up for the previous nights with so little and I'm very tired. I am very thankful though that my legs do not hurt badly so far today.

Funny thing I did yesterday and just realized this am...yesterday before lunch I had a very very good bs..85!! That's the lowest I've ever been. Couldn't figure out how it happened. Well this morning I realized that I had taken one of my dinner med along with my am meds yesterday! Just caught it today. Then last night I guess I took it again as it was in both trays...am and pm. I've corrected it so won't do again but it sure helped. I remember my previous doctor saying I am taking a low dose of that one, so don't think it would hurt to take it twice a day. I'll mention it my current doctor next time.
I wish I'd taken my bs this am but I forgot. Very curious what it would have been.

We got our new bedroom shade up the other day...think I forgot to mention. It looks really nice. It's an odd color...not quite a gray, not quite a brown but somewhere between. I think it's perfect for our bedroom, so glad I finally got replaced the old one.

Carol Sue - Glad Rusty obeyed you! If Halo doesn't get too far, she will usually obey and come back, but if she gets across the street and on, she just ignores me. Glad he is getting back to his old self again. I don't think Halo even knew when she got her shots, she was just so pleased with all the attention from the vet. I also think there was a treat involved if I remember correctly She'll do most anything for food.

Carol, when dh sprayed Round Up, I thought maybe it made Halo ill. Not sure but she threw up a few times during the next day or two. Could have gotten into something else, but made me wonder. He didn't spray it on the grass but still she may have gotten into it. She tends to have a sensitive tummy.

Sandy - Is the itchiness gone. Sorry you had to pay for your good food that way! MSG does cause trouble to some. I have a two red spots (bites?) on my lower lt leg that itch like crazy! I'm not out a lot but did go out and pull some weeds the other day,...that time of year I guess.

I am behind on so much this week...need to get to it..

Last edited by maryea; 06-24-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #73  

Mary Good that you got some exercise and even better improved sleep.
Funny mixup on meds, glad it wasn't a real problem. Shade sounds good, and so necessary in a bedroom

Yes the itchiness is gone but I'll be sure to ask if they use MSG next time. The red spots that itch sound like some I got one evening outside. Some people do no attract mosquitos but I must. Hate to go out even with long pants when it gets toward evening.

Carol Sue How scary about Rusty, and thank God he obeyed you. Hope he is ok now.

Gayle How is the headache now? What can you take to help the headache pain? I simply take tylenol, but after my periods stopped, I rarely get those migraines that NOTHING helped. Had to sleep them off between throwing up and diarrhea. Really a problem when our kids were babies and I was only one taking care of them. We survived.

Today's massage also included a special massage for my jaw that is hurting, possibly TMJ but seems strange to hit at this stage of life. She did a great job helping that area relax and no pain right now. We'll see after I eat supper, but hopefully.

Went shoe shopping, but only pair that "almost" fit, cut into my ankle so they stayed at the store.

Watered pots, front after I got home. We've had rain, but not enough.

Sandy
Old 06-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #74  

Love2garden, be careful about that jaw pain. That was my only symptom when I needed my open heart surgery.

Mary, Rusty doesn't go on the hill where DH sprayed the Round Up. His tie-out won't reach that far. We don't know if the Round Up is going to work because he used it in a sprayer that attaches to the hose. That makes it easier to spray, but the water dilutes it. The weeds look a little wilted but don't know if they will die. Also, it might rain tonight which will wash it off. I can't remember how he sprayed it last time.

This morning when I let Rusty out I saw something in the yard that looked like a turtle. I called to DH and he came out and it WAS a turtle. I had DH move it over to a flower bed so Rusty wouldn't get near it. DH came back out about 10 minutes later to take a picture of it but it was gone. So don't let anyone tell you that turtles are slow. We looked everywhere. The only place it could have gone was onto the hill where the high weeds are.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #75  

Carol Sue Round up takes a while to fully destroy weeds. When I sprayed some vines it was day 4 before they totally died.

Scary to think that jaw pain was your only symptom. How long did you have it before going to doctor?

I planned to go to Dentist when he returns from the beach after the 4th to see what the 'bite Wing x rays" show. He can make a device that I can wear at night to protect my teeth at least.

Symptoms of TMJ seem to fit when I went to the Mayo Clinic site, and the massage did ease it some. Still, scary to think of the alternate you experienced.
Closed Thread