Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #166  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary What a delightful vacation you two have had in Alaska. Glad you took time to describe some of our experiences. Bear story is one I understand from all our years camping in bear country.

Walking on a glacier? WOW! And getting to tour some of the areas we hear about but only see in pictures.

Friends who lived in Alaska told of fantastic veggies she grew because of the tremendous amount of sunshine and the perfect temperatures. I bet you really enjoyed those perfect temperatures.

Glad you are feeling stronger and begining to relax a bit.

carol Sue I agree that the almost perpetual darkness in winter would really do me in.

Lynn how is the ankle doing?

Gayle keep up those stretches. Don't they make a big difference?

Just pulled out some good size poison Ivy vines from our garden with garbage bag pulled clear up my arm. Still washed the long sleeve shirt and gloves I had on as precaution.

My tooth broke as I was eating french toast this morning. Can't get it removed till August 31, but at least the nerve is dead so no pain in the other half of the tooth that is still there - at least it is the exposed half so no one would realize the back half is totally gone. Always some expense seems to show up.

Like Mary, got to get my budget fixed up and checks reconciled.

Sandy
Old 07-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #167  

Height: 5'3"

Well, I've gotten my second load of laundry in and thoroughly cleaned both showers and the tub and sink, decluttered my desk area plus have done most of my daily tasks. Still want to do a little more cleaning in the bathroom and laundry area. I'm beginning to feel like I'm home again. So glad I took extra strength ASA early this morning as I haven't had any pain today.

I got my lab report on the mychart website and it is not so good. My bs was high although my A1C hadn't changed I don't think...it was 7.3...if I remember correctly. That lab was done at my previous doctor's office so can't check. So it hasn't changed despite adding Farxiga. I still think it is mainly related to my oversnacking. Perhaps if I can get this new diet plan working well, it will improve. I didn't stay onplan while on the trip and then had the lab work done the day after we returned. My cholesterol is high (good) and low (bad) which is not a surprise since I haven't been on the statin since April 1st. I was told to stop it for a while to see if my leg pain would lessen. My hip pain has lessened but otherwise my leg pain hasn't much. Some days are easier than others though. My Triclycerides were high too..I don't feel I eat a lot of fat, but guess I still get too much. Also my albumin is usually low but another is high. I need to refresh my knowledge of this...know it has to do with both the liver and the kidneys.

In my trip report I forgot to mention we had a little accident with the rental car. We were returning the car and took the wrong turn. Had to back out along a curved road and hit a sign along the curved part of the curb. There was a little misalignment of what looks like fiberglass on the bumper and a small scratch. Couldn't talk to anyone as they weren't open then, but they called us even before we got home and we reported it to our insurance company. We have a $1000 deductible so if they pursue it we'll have to pay up to that amount. They said these things are usually about $1600. So an inexpensive trip turned out a little more expensive than expected, but it was the first accident we've had in many years.

Sandy - Sorry about the tooth, but glad you are not in pain. That's great that you are now able to walk further! I haven't walked over a mile for a while now but hope I can still do it. The past 12 months have been our worst for not exercising consistently! And I can feel the results of that in my body.

Glynne - I'm glad you are doing your PT exercises...I sometimes don't but like you I begin to tell the difference. I know it's hard for you not to be able to connect regularly with your mom. It seems like the older we are the tireder we get...my sister who is 81 is always complaining of being tired, and I notice I'm a lot more tired these days than I used to be. Today not so much though.

Lynn - Oh gosh, sorry about the ankle..is it any better?

Carol Sue and Sandy - Dh took Aleve once and immediately started having heart palpitations. It eventually went away but neither of us take it now. One has to be careful with NSAIDS anyway as like ASA they can cause bleeding. Generally it's just a matter of not taking too much or too often, but esp with older people it is probably a greater concern. ASA Back and Body seems to help me more with my leg and hip pain than Tylenol or Motrin, but I try not to take too much/too often. Most days I don't take anything but do take it if the pain is really bad.

Last edited by maryea; 07-14-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

For some reason I am almost pain free and feeling much better energy wise the past 2 days. I am giving credit to the Kelp. In spite of the doctor telling me my thyroid is good, I think I am on the far end of good, closer to bad than good. I am going by symptoms I read about online. That's why I started taking the kelp, which contains iodine. I have been feeling so terrible lately, feeling drained, like I'm just existing. Now I have a lot more energy and a lot less pain. I hope it stays this way. I gave the bathroom a good scrubbing this morning, which it really needed. And I still feel good.

I went to the doctor's yesterday just to find out he wasn't in and my appointment is actually for Thursday. When I came home and read my note I realized that I wrote Thursday, but my mind was thinking Tuesday. So it's back to the doctor on Thursday. I wanted him to drain my elbow again and give me another shot, but there's very little pain now. I think I will have him drain it and give me the shot anyway. It is still a bit sore if I rub it but no longer painful when I move it or use the arm. I lifted a laundry bag full of dirty clothes up onto the washer without it feeling weak. I put my clothes in the laundry bag and throw it down the cellar steps instead of trying to carry them. That works good, but it's harder bringing them back up in the basket. Wish I had a first floor laundry room

Mary, I think it is sugar and carbs that raise triglycerides rather than fat. My triglycerides went from the 300s to 160 after I cut back on carbs and sweets. I don't eat high fat but I don't eat low fat, either.

Sandy, I broke a tooth like that once but the piece that came off was inthe front of the tooth, not the back. It was more on the side of my mouth so it wasn't really visible until I was able to get a crown put on the tooth. I hate to bite on anything anymore for fear of breaking a tooth.

Hope you are doing well, Gayle.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-15-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #169  

My weight dropped 2# so think it was the sodium (from not taking my diuretic one day) as I figured. Went to doctor and he asked me what I wanted to do ...go back on simvastatin or go on another drug for cholesterol. I decided to try another one he says is better on the muscles. I don't honestly know whether Simvastatin caused my leg/hip pain and/or cramps..as I can't tell much difference and I've been off it since April 1, but I chose to try the new drug...it is Pravastatin. He also gave me a choice of increasing my Farxiga or Glimepiride and I chose the Farxiga. Hope I can get to the bathroom on time though as it has diuretic properties. He suggested xrays for my legs but said we may need an MRI too. I didn't realize he said to get them today so I didn't, after I got on the road I realized I should have just had them done today.

Carol Sue - I don't think carbs themselves cause high triglycerides but any extra food intake over what we can burn definitely causes the storage of it in our fat cells. So as you cut back on your intake, that's probably why it dropped. The body releases it at times and I assume that is why we get the high lab values. I'm tired a lot these days so perhaps my body is releasing a lot in an attempt to increase my energy Not sure but I do know that it is dangerous as it is a fatty substance and clogs the arteries just like cholesterol.

Hi to Glynne, Sandy, Lynn and any others who may be lurking today!

Last edited by maryea; 07-15-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #170  

Mary down 2 pounds is good. Your doctor's visit sounded complicated. Did you have your husband with you? we usually go together so what one hears and the other misses, we can talk about it.

CarolSue what good news your elbow is better. Draining makes sense but I'm so afraid of cortisone shots after Mom's experience, altho she had them monthly all year around.

Growing up we used to throw the dirty clothes, packed in a pillow case down the basement steps. I did the carrying up and down steps because Mom had terrible arthritis all over her body. I used to run up and down steps and at times would slip and come down on my back side, OUCH!!!

Weight going back down, too.

Sandy
Old 07-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #171  

Noon time here and I'm attempting to get some house cleaning in before we leave for appointments in an hour.

Morning walk left me sweaty, but I did it. Yesterday's time at gym plus other activities gave me plenty of activity. Food was less, too. Today I'm down to 223.0. Only 4 pounds to get out of the terrible 220's.

Sandy
Old 07-17-2015, 12:35 AM   #172  

Seemed like a busy day but didn't get much done here at home..made the bed, took out the trash/garbage and emptied some of the dishwasher. That's it! But I went for the xray then to the mall for a manicure. My tech wasn't ready so I had lunch at the mall, walked the mall (not even going into stores) until she was. My nails and hair are growing so fast this spring/summer...guess it's the unusual amount of sun we are getting! BTW, I got blue nails...a new color for me, wasn't sure dh would like it but he does.

I'm back on the Food Lovers Diet ...I'm still not very good at it...I do pretty good most of the time here at home, but when out still have trouble. Should be easy...just pick one fast carb, one protein and some slow carbs, but ends up a little tricker in regard to portion size etc, Like today I had a hamburger, with onions, lettuce and 2 pickle slices. It said too high in carb and fat. So guess I have to only have 1/2 hamburger to make it a fat loss plate because the rest was ok. I didn't get to the gym as usual (these days!) but I did 15 min on my bike at least...trying to build up the min each day. I used to do 15-20 even more some days at the gym, but now it seems too hard and makes my left knee hurt.

Sandy - Congrats on the 4# loss! That's a good number esp for women our age. I'm glad your knee is now allowing you to be more active these days. It is so freeing when we don't have chronic pain! My pain has been less the last few days, pops up now and then but not too bad and I feel more energy when I hurt less.

No dh does not go with me to my appts unless it's something we are very concerned about. I really don't need him due to my past nursing training/experience. I usually can remember plus this new clinic gives me a hand out summarizing the whole visit and it's also online too. Love that! I just didn't read that part about getting the xray yesterday until I was on my way home and he didn't actually say it during the visit. I'm hoping the xray today is enough and no MRI is necessary.

Carol Sue - So glad you are having less pain too! We are survivors, aren't we?!! There is no stopping us GG!!We get hard sometimes but we rise up and start again. I hope today you are still doing ok...I know I need to hear from you guys..just knowing that we all experience the same/similar ups and downs and keep going inspires me.

Gayle - Hope you are doing ok too.

Last edited by maryea; 07-17-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #173  

Mary, when DH goes to the doctor I have to go in with him because he doesn't listen and when I ask him what the doctor said he says "Nothing." I KNOW the doctor said something! LOL He takes me to my visits, but waits in the waiting room or in the car. One time the PCP asked my why I come in with DH but he doesn't come in with me and I told him I don't want DH telling him things that I don't want him to know. LOL

My doctor visit yesterday went OK. My weight and BP were both up but that's because when my weight goes up so does my BP. I will have to work harder at getting them back down. Also, my A1c was 7.6. I really thought it was going to be higher than that. The doctor wasn't concerned, but I like it below 7 so I will get more consistent with my exercise and watch carbs more closely. I tend to get careless. He asked if I wanted him to up my meds and I said "No." I can do this on my own.

Mary, after a few consecutive days on my recumbent bike my knee starts to feel better. I think it's good for the knees, as long as you don't overdo it. I always wear my knee brace, though.

Sandy, good for you on the weight loss. We'll take every pound we can get.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #174  

We just returned from a long trip to get Ted's new hearing aids and get them adjusted to his needs. This is the best he has been able to hear in a long time.
Mayo Clinic has a new book on hearing that he is reading carefully. He learned that gradually he can train his brain to hear somewhat better by wearing the hearing aids regularly and really paying attention.

Carol Sue Smart to say no to raising your meds. This will give you the determination to do what you can to improve.

Mary Wish I knew some of the nursing things you know. I always have so many questions and am always driving my friends nuts who are nurses.

So pleased that this week has been so much better on exercise, and eating far healthier. Today we had a day trip and had flounder, steamed broccoli and carrots and delicious peach ice tea. Yes my tea was sweet - why have ice tea without sugar?

Sunny day made driving so much more pleasant. We drove in rolling hills and pasture land - so beautiful with all the rains we've had this summer. We are almost 8 inches above average for the year here at home.

Hi Gayle, and Lynn

We can build up healthier bodies that weigh less, too. Sandy
Old 07-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #175  

We are babysitting today, but the kids are playing quietly together here in my office. So far I have done well with my eating today and the software approves.

Sandy - I didn't know that about hearing aides and improving your own hearing. I have been out of nursing for 20 years and have forgotten a lot but it does help me to have a little better understanding of what the doctor is talking about etc. But if I don't remember something, there is always Google and you can do that too. Can't believe everything on the web but there is also some pretty good info out there, however a little medical knowledge can help to interrupt it sometimes too. Your dinner sounds great and a little sweet tea isn't going to hurt you. About the ice tea...LOL..I used to drink my tea in a tall glass with about 3 t. sugar and drank several a day! One day my sister and bil visited us and they didn't use sugar..so I stopped too and lost 10# and have never used sugar since that was about more than 40 years ago. I like it just fine but occasionally just for a different taste I will add a little Stevia. And when I was 60 I stopped buying white sugar completely.

Lynn - How the ankle?

Carol Sue - Funny about you not letting your dh in on your doctor visits! I go to some of dh's for the same reason you do, but with this new doctor he types about everything he says into the summary, so not as much reason to do it for his remembering, but his hearing is still a problem.

Gotta run, talk later
Old 07-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #176  

Mary, I wish I had access to the information from doctor visits. That would really help. I only started recently requesting a copy of my bloodwork. It was my cardiologist who told me not to take NSaid pain relievers. I mentioned that to my PCP and he said he sees no problem with it. I said "You must not have been watching TV lately!" Then I said, "Oh, I guess you don't get your medical information from TV." LOL He said the risk of strokes is very rare, and the manufacturer says that they are safe when taken according to the directions, but I tend to feel that it's better to be safe than sorry. They put out that warning for a reason. Both of my step children take them and they take more than the directions say. I guess when you're young you think nothing is going to happen to you.

Actually, my DH doesn't like doctors and would really rather not come in for my appointments. He would sit there and roll his eyes at everything the doctor says. I don't do everything my doctor says, but I at least let him give me his opinion and then I make my choices.

We go through a lot of sugar but it's DH that uses it. Lots of sugar in his coffee and cereal. I don't use any sugar. I don't put sweetener in my coffee but do put artificial sweetener in tea.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #177  

Carol Sue I loved your statement:

"Actually, my DH doesn't like doctors and would really rather not come in for my appointments. He would sit there and roll his eyes at everything the doctor says. I don't do everything my doctor says, but I at least let him give me his opinion and then I make my choices. "

This is so refreshing and true.

Actually DH is really good about going to doctor's appointments and is so very healthy for 81 years of living that it is amazing. He had prostrate cancer removed, 1/2 his stomach with ulcers, part of lung removed when they THOUGHT he had cancer but didn't (Thank God) plus knee replacement 7 years apart. Each time he is cheerful and cooperative.

When the lung was NOT cancer, the ward celebrated with us. One silly nurse climbed in bed with him as she took his pulse. He told her, don't report that if my BP is high!!!!

Mary Sure would appreciate a summary from the doctor. I always get my blood test but if I take it AFTER my visit as medicare now requires, then go 6 months before next visit - seems old news.

This time, my May visit the Doctor wrote order for blood test and I'm waiting. Next visit is in November. Meanwhile I've lost a few pounds an hope to loose more, plus eating far healthier. Hopefully the blood test taken early November will reflect an improvement. Cholesterol is OK with high counts in the good stuff and low counts in triglycerides.

Hi to Gayle and Lynn.

4 hours in garden has my muscles sore but garden looks great.

Sandy
Old 07-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Last day I posted my weight/calories was 7/10 - 8 days ago. Since then, I have been on a sugar binge. Of course, when I am binging, I stay away from here - worst thing to do!

I am back. Yesterday, I threw out all the cookies/pop-tarts/Tastycake junk, but then, went to my SIL's birthday dinner & ate too much & wrong things.

So far, today, I am doing OK. Hope to get back to exercise tomorrow. My foot is OK, but I am afraid I hurt my knee (one I had surgery on) when I twisted my foot. If it is not better next week, I will call the surgeon.

Have not yet read everyone's posts. Will do that now.

Happy weekend -

Lynn
Old 07-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #179  

Just got home from shopping at Costco (coupons day) and putting away everything. Amazing how much one can spend there and still not have a full weeks groceries! Of course what I do get lasts a long time, but then the next month I'm back to get different things. It is to get into the 90s today and tomorrow is to be 99! Can't remember our last rain..

Carol Sue - Again, we are SO much alike! I'm there (doctors office) to hear and learn from the doctor, but I make my own decisions, based on what he says and my own research plus my own gut feelings or what seems to make sense to me. May have told this before but one time I had a doctor (can't even remember his name or why I saw him now), who said, you don't just do what we tell you, do you? and I said no, because after all you doctors are done with me, I still have to live in this body. He said he liked that and wished more people were that way. Dh is very respectful of doctors, just doesn't like to go in but he does, keeps track of his own appts etc. Sometimes I think he is too respectful...sometimes if the doctor says something, he just agrees with him even if it's not true about his condition! Not sure it's all his hearing, sometimes I think it's just because he sees the doctor as an authority figure! At times I feel I have to speak up if it's something important but don't like to do that. So he won't feel badly I blame it on his hearing but I also think its also the way he was raised. If I had sugar in the house dh would use it too, but he uses the nondairy creamers which are quite sweet so that satisfies him. He eats pastries and candy and his A1C is always good. Of course I have to admit he eats all these things in moderation...not like I would.

Sandy - I've never heard about that Medicare rule regarding blood tests. Maybe it depends on the state My doctors all ask me to get labs BEFORE my visit. I saw my x-ray results online yesterday maybe even before the doctor! I really like that. If I understand it correctly, it is saying that there is only a little degenerative joint disease noted but I do have a small bone spur. I am interested in what my doctor will say but the last few days my pain has been much less again. It comes and goes but the hip pain has been almost completely gone for several weeks now. I hope I don't have to have an MRI now. When the pain is bad of course, I want to know what's causing it but as long as my hip is not involved and ASA helps me I'm not too concerned. Ok, you are in better shape than I...4 hours in the garden would kill me!!

Today here at home I haven't done much but plan to clean out the tub and mop the bathroom floor, otherwise just do some decluttering thru out the house and hopefully clean under our bed. May find some summer clothes under there I've forgotten about.

Hope you are having a nice weekend. I'm looking forward to going to church as we have missed two Sundays.

Last edited by maryea; 07-18-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Talked to Mom a little, a couple of days. I miss some days …I got her today, and she sounded pretty good and cheerful and didn't mention feeling tired, but she didn't want to stay on the phone long. I'll take what I can get. I miss how it used to be.
Hi Gayle,

Not sure if you remember, but I had a DF who had Alzheimer’s. She died several months ago. During the beginning of her illness, I worked with her on her family history. I am now working on a 6-generation chart of her family. When I get done with it, I will send it to her DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
After the Conservatory we decided to just drive on to visit Rosey. For those who don't know her, she used to post here. She lives way out of town in a log cabin and sees wildlife incl bear frequently so I know SHE will laugh at my bear story if she reads this! She was in the hospital so couldn't meet us part way as we'd hoped. She recognized me as soon as I walked in her room. She is just as I felt through her post...very nice and easy to talk with. Her dh was there too and Joe enjoyed chatting with him too. We were both glad we drove it even though it was a long trip for only a 45 min visit. As dh said the scenic views a long the way were just part of out trip.
Hi Mary,

I LOVE that you got to meet Rosie. I have been thinking about doing monthly trips to meet each of our GG’s. I have a question – did you ever ask Rosie how she ended up in AK? It seems like such a difficult place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
My tooth broke as I was eating french toast this morning. Can't get it removed till August 31, but at least the nerve is dead so no pain in the other half of the tooth that is still there - at least it is the exposed half so no one would realize the back half is totally gone. Always some expense seems to show up.
Hi Sandy,

I had a molar (one that had root canal) break off recently. Dentist had a rough time getting a grip on the half that was left. He ended up drilling it out. Is going to cost about $3,000 to get a bridge to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
We go through a lot of sugar but it's DH that uses it. Lots of sugar in his coffee and cereal. I don't use any sugar. I don't put sweetener in my coffee but do put artificial sweetener in tea.
Hi Carol Sue,

I have a TERRIBLE sweet tooth. It is such an AWFUL addiction. One of my book club members recently read a book about a family that cut out sugar & artificial sweeteners for some set length of time. Not just added sugar, but also food that included sugar. I don’t think I could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
This time, my May visit the Doctor wrote order for blood test and I'm waiting. Next visit is in November. Meanwhile I've lost a few pounds an hope to loose more, plus eating far healthier. Hopefully the blood test taken early November will reflect an improvement. Cholesterol is OK with high counts in the good stuff and low counts in triglycerides.
Hi Sandy,

I still get blood work done when the doctors prescribe it, but I don’t have any faith in the reports. Just before my heart attack & stents, I had bloodwork done & everything was perfect!
Closed Thread