Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #346  

Height: 5' 2"

Renee If I were as lucky as you are to have fresh blueberries within walking distance, I'd eat them every morning. By the way, how long is the season you are able to pick off your property?

Corinna You are right, I certainly need to raise up my commitment!

Yesterday I had a broken tooth pulled and post put in yesterday for tooth implant in 10 weeks. Pain meds have me with my head spinning, and difficulty staying awake. But I have no pain and am thankful.

Nurse suggested ice cream would feel good - and I took that as permission to dig into my favorite treat. Enjoyed two servings for supper and snack . . .

This morning scale jumped 2 pounds and I'm swearing off ice cream again. Will be harder because we have some in freezer now.

Commitment, I certainly better raise it. Can't exercise for a few more days as my tooth area will begin bleeding again. Best exercise will be to walk AWAY from that freezer with icecream.

Breakfast, grapefruit, scrambled egg, whole wheat plain bread, skim milk. Lots of food, high health, and able to eat in spite of sore jaw.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #347  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Love to Garden - I have 3 different varieties of blueberries, so I start picking in June and go thru till August. I freeze them and have them everyday on my oatmeal.

Instead of ice cream, you could get sugar free popsicles
Old 09-01-2015, 10:49 PM   #348  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Confession time. No idea what the calories were today, but I'm sure they were over the limit. I had to eat out tonight due to meetings, and the team wanted to go for Tex-Mex. I was at 1100 but then had one fajita, salsa, chips, a little bit of queso, and a bite of a sopapilla. No doubt I'll regret it when I look at the scale for the mid-week check in, but it sure was good.

Corinna--casserole was chicken, broccoli, Ramen noodles, cheese. The family loves it.

Renee--sounds like smart planting with the blueberry bushes!

Love To Garden--so sorry about your tooth! That sounds traumatic. Glad you aren't having any pain and hope it stays that way!

Last edited by Darkblue; 09-02-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:08 AM   #349  

Darkblue - we all have slip-ups Today you will get back on track!

Still very hot and humid here....more hay to cut and bale and a horse show on Saturday

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal with blueberries
S - banana
L - sushi
S - nectarine and grapes
D - pork barbecue and vegetables
Old 09-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #350  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Sandy-I hope your tooth area heals quickly and painlessly in preparation for your upcoming tooth implant. I am thinking you may actually lose some weight from the whole process in spite of the initial weight gain. I like Renee's suggestion of the sugar free Popsicles.

Darkblue-sounds good. Glad you enjoyed the food. I don't think it hurts to through your body a curve every now and then with plenty of good food. It's when it becomes a pattern that happens every week that you need to make sure you maintain better control. Just keep thinking about those pounds you loss and how you want them to stay gone. Gone forever! Thanks for your honesty and sharing. Now hop back on that train headed for slim town!

Hey Renee-do you have any pictures of your sweet miniature horses that you would be willing to share with us?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #351  
Focus & Determination

Smile

GIVE UP JUNK FOOD WITHOUT NOTICING

The more you increase your intake of fruit and vegetables, the less room there will be for refined and processed foods. This is a highly effective form of ‘crowding out’: you’ll be so busy eating the good stuff — vegetables and fruit, whole grains and legumes — that you’ll crowd out sugar and junk foods, and maybe even forget about them.

The more fruit and vegetables you eat, the less room you will have for refined and processed food.

Try ‘retrofitting’ some of your favorite dishes with simple additions that up your dose of vegetables, fruit and plant-based protein:
  • Chop up spinach and tomatoes and add them to scrambled eggs.
  • Eat a bed of leafy greens and curried lentils for lunch.
  • Grate or shred courgette, carrots, cauliflower or broccoli and add to sauces, casseroles, salads and sandwiches.
  • Mash black beans and substitute for some or all of the meat in meatballs or burgers.
  • Add baby spinach or kale to fruit-based breakfast smoothies.
  • Thicken creamy sauces and soup with silken tofu or amaranth, and millet.
  • Add chopped nuts to salads, porridge, yogurt, biscuits and casseroles, or substitute nut flours for some or all of the wheat flour in recipes.
  • Put avocado slices on sandwiches and in salads, or use as a spread instead of mayonnaise. Mix with eggs for a twist on egg salad.
  • Add ground flax seed to smoothies, yogurt and porridge for a healthy dose of plant omega-3s and mixed fibers.
(Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3026691/Stay-slim-mindfulness-diet-s-proven-way-train-brain-resist-cravings-unhealthy-food-blissfully-easy-follow.html)
Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #352  

Here's my little herd...doing what they do best The smallest one is 30 inches tall and the tallest is 38 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-007S.jpg (40.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Renee3; 09-02-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #353  

Renee--Mini horses are so cute. Do they live as long as the big ones? Have any specific health problems?

*waves at Corinna*

1615 k/cal today, back on track.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:22 AM   #354  
Focus & Determination

Smile

Renee-they are adorable!! I would be happy seeing them every day. They look so content mowing the field for you.

I have attached a picture of my baby who makes me happy every day. He keeps me on track walking.

Darkblue-glad to see you back on track. You can do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyDog.jpg (43.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-03-2015, 05:46 AM   #355  
Focus & Determination

Smile 27 Ways Pets Can Improve Your Health

Stay Well With Your Animals

Most pet owners don't need reminding. Animals make people feel good. But we're talking about more than feeling glad they're around. Your favorite animal can make you healthy and help you stay that way. You may be surprised at just how many ways a pet can improve your health.

Pets Are Natural Mood Enhancers

It only takes a few minutes with a dog or cat or watching fish swim to feel less anxious and less stressed. Your body actually goes through physical changes in that time that make a difference in your mood. The level of cortisol, a hormone associated with stress, is lowered. And the production of serotonin, a chemical associated with well-being, is increased. Reducing stress saves your body wear and tear.

Keep Blood Pressure in Check

You still have to watch your weight and exercise. But having a pet can help you manage your blood pressure. In one study of 240 married couples, pet owners had lower blood pressure and lower heart rates during rest than people who did not own a pet. That held true whether they were at rest or undergoing stress tests. Another study showed that children with hypertension lowered their blood pressure while petting their dog.

Help for Lowering Cholesterol

To manage cholesterol, doctors still recommend that you follow guidelines regarding diet, exercise, and medication. But owning a pet has the potential of making it easier to avoid the dangers of cholesterol. Researchers have noted lower levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in people who own pets compared to people who don't. However, this could be attributed to lifestyle factors of pet owners.

Cats and Dogs Good for the Heart

Research has shown the long-term benefits of owning a cat include protection for your heart. Over the 20 years of one study, people who never owned a cat were 40% more likely to die of a heart attack than those who had. Another study showed that dog owners had a significantly better survival rate one year after a heart attack. Overall, pet owners have a lower risk of dying from any cardiac disease, including heart failure.

Pet an Animal to Fight Depression

Therapists have been known to prescribe a pet as a way of dealing with and recovering from depression. No one loves you more unconditionally than your pet. And a pet will listen to you talk for as long as you want to talk. Petting a cat or dog has a calming effect. And taking care of a pet -- walking with it, grooming it, playing with it -- takes you out of yourself and helps you feel better about the way you spend your time.

Better Physical Fitness

People who own dogs tend to be more physically active and less obese than people who don't. Taking your dog for a daily 30-minute walk will keep you moving and ensure that you meet the minimum recommendations for healthy physical activity. Two 15-minute walks, one in the morning and one in the evening, will do the same thing. And after that, just playing fetch in the back yard with your dog will earn you healthful dividends.

Make Your Pet an Exercise Buddy

If you exercise with your pet, you'll both benefit. Shine a flashlight on the wall or wave a string while you do a step aerobics routine. Your cat will get a healthy workout chasing the light, and you'll be thoroughly entertained. And nationwide, there are yoga classes for people and their dogs, called doga. Call your local gym or ask your vet if there are similar programs in your area.

Fewer Strokes Among Cat Owners

Researchers aren't sure why. But cat owners have fewer strokes than people who don't own cats. It's partly due to the effects owning a pet can have on a person's circulation. But researchers speculate that cats may have a more calming effect on their owners than other animals do. It may also have something to do with the personality of a cat owner. Cats often become the focus of their owner's interest, which diverts them from other stressful worries.

More Interaction, Less Isolation

One key to a healthy mind is staying engaged with others. And pet owners have a tendency to want to talk with other pet owners. A dog is a conversation waiting to happen. People, especially other people with dogs, will stop and talk with you when they see you walking your pet. Visiting a dog park lets you socialize with other owners while your dog socializes with their dogs.

Fewer Allergies, Stronger Immunity

Researchers have found that when children grow up in a home with a dog or cat they are less likely to develop allergies. The same is true for kids who live on a farm with large animals. In addition, children with pets have higher levels of certain immune system chemicals and therefore have a stronger immune system. This will help keep them healthy as they get older.

Cats and Asthma Prevention

It doesn't seem to make sense. Pet allergies are one of the most common triggers of asthma. But researchers have studied the effects of having cats in the homes of infants at risk for asthma. What they found was that those children were significantly less likely to develop asthma as they got older. There's one exception. Children whose mothers have a cat allergy are three times more likely to develop asthma after early exposure to cats.

Snack Alarm

For people with diabetes, a sudden drop in the level of blood glucose can be very serious. Some dogs can alert their owner to a dangerous drop before it actually happens. They may be responding to chemical changes in the body that give off a scent. The alarm gives the owner time to eat a snack to avoid the emergency. About one in three dogs living with people with diabetes have this ability. Dogs for Diabetics is training more dogs to help more people.

Working With a Counselor

Some mental health therapists use a dog in therapy. A dog in the office may help someone be more comfortable. But that's not all. A remark to or about a dog may show what's really on someone's mind. One therapist tells about a couple in his office who started arguing. The dog, which usually just slept during the session, got up and wanted out. He used that to help the couple see how their fighting affected others, especially their children.

Partners in Better Cancer Care

Cats and dogs both get cancer, and both benefit from research on human cancer. But more and more the opposite is also true. Humans are benefiting from research on pet cancers. Dogs and cats can get the same kinds of cancers humans do. For example, studies of prostate cancer in dogs have led to a better understanding of how it develops in older men. And preventing cancer in pets may lead to new prevention strategies for their human owners.

Overcoming the Limitations of ADHD

Kids with ADHD can benefit from working with and keeping a pet. Taking charge of the jobs on a pet care schedule helps a child learn to plan and be responsible. Pets need to play, and playing with a pet is a great way to release excess energy. That means an easier time falling asleep at night. And because the bond between a pet and a child is unconditional love, pets help children with ADHD learn about self-esteem.

Autism: Addressing the Senses

Sensory issues are common among children with autism. Sensory integration activities are designed to help them get used to the way something feels against their skin. Or it may be how they react to certain smells or sounds. Dogs and horses have both sometimes been used in these activities. The children usually find it calming to work with animals. And animals easily hold the attention of children with autism.

Want Stronger Bones? Walk the Dog

Strong bones are your best defense against osteoporosis and painful fractures. Walking your dog helps. It's a weight-bearing exercise that strengthens your bones and the muscles around them. It also lets you spend time in the sun, which provides vitamin D. If you have osteoporosis, be sure you guard against falls. Use a short leash that won't get tangled. And don't walk a dog that is liable to jump on you and make you lose your balance.

Stretching With the Cat

If you have arthritis, you know its important to stretch. You also know it can be hard to know when you're stretching enough. Cat owners may want to learn from their cat. Watch how many times she stretches every day, and when she does, you do it too. If you can, get down on the floor and go through the same motions. If you can't get on the floor, sit on a chair and follow along by stretching your upper body.

Managing Arthritis Together

If your dog has arthritis, you can use the effort to manage his to help manage yours. When you make an appointment at the vet, also call and make your own doctor's appointment. Regular exercise is important for both of you, so walk with your dog. Keep your medicine in the same place you keep the dog's. That way you'll see it when you get his. And if you can, coordinate taking your medicines at the same time you give him his medicine.

Getting Back in the Saddle

Some rehab programs for stroke patients use horses to help with recovery. Often, people who have had strokes start riding with someone walking alongside them as someone else leads the horse. Horseback riding gives stretching exercise, which is especially good if one side has been made weaker. It also helps the person regain balance and build core strength.

Relief From RA

People with rheumatoid arthritis benefit from movements like walking and throwing a Frisbee with their pet. And pets give you a distraction that can help take your thoughts off of your own condition. But perhaps the best help comes from those dogs or cats that seem to be super sensitive to people who aren’t feeling well. Sometimes just their presence can make you feel better.

Soothing Heat for Chronic Pain

A Mexican hairless dog called a Xolo is known for generating intense body heat. An organization called Paws for Comfort trains Xolos to be service dogs for people with fibromyalgia and other forms of chronic pain that respond to heat. People get relief just by placing their hurting limbs against the dog's body or lying up next to it. Some dogs have even been trained to ride around wrapped around the neck of a person with chronic neck pain.

Seizure Dogs

A "seizure dog" is one that has been specially trained to live and work with people who have epilepsy. Some are trained to bark and alert the parents when a child is having a seizure outside or in another room. Some lie next to a person having a seizure to prevent injury (as seen in this demonstration). And some work has been done training dogs to warn before a seizure occurs. This gives the person time to lie down or move away from a dangerous place such as a hot stove.

Staying Independent

Specially trained dogs can perform tasks that let people with Parkinson's disease maintain their independence. They can pick up dropped items or fetch requested ones. They can provide balance support, open and close doors, and turn lights on with their paws. They can also sense when someone with Parkinson's is "freezing" and touch the foot to let the person keep walking. Groups like Pet Partners can help you find a good service dog.

A

Better Quality of Life

Visits from therapy dogs help patients recovering from devastating illness or an event such as a stroke. Some dogs are trained to understand a range of commands which lets them help people with aphasia (a language disorder common in older adults, particularly those who’ve had a stroke) feel good when they see the dog understands them. And, petting or scratching a dog can help a patient rebuild strength while recovering from a stroke or other illness. It also creates a feeling of calm.

A

Calming Presence

People with AIDS are less likely to be depressed if they own a pet, especially if they're strongly attached. And with an animal in the home, people with Alzheimer's have fewer anxious outbursts. The animal also helps the caregivers feel less burdened. Cats seem to be particularly helpful since they require less care than dogs.

Animal Assisted Therapies

Some studies are being done on bringing specially trained animals into clinical settings, which is happening in more and more hospitals and nursing homes. One of the biggest advantages of letting patients interact with animals in such places appears to be improved mood and reduced anxiety.

(Source: http://pets.webmd.com/ss/slideshow-pets-improve-your-health )
Old 09-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #356  
Focus & Determination

Smile

Sorry if you feel the previous post is a little long. I guess you can tell I am an animal lover!

Last edited by Corinna T; 09-03-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #357  

Darkblue- they live a little longer than the average horse, usually well into their 30's. The only health problem different than big horses is foaling. Since they are so small they sometimes have trouble. You want to be there to help. I no longer have a stallion. They are tough little things, originally bred for pulling coal cars out of the coal mines.

Corinna - nice looking dog. Looks high energy

Yesterday:
S - banana
L - sushi
S - grapes
D - pot roast with vegetables
Old 09-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #358  

1600ish today. I really want to add another dancing veggie to the row.

I enjoyed all the animal photos. Interesting to read, too.

Renee-- any fun plans for the long weekend?

Corinna, do you have an equivalent of Labor Day Monday in Australia? Is school out there yet?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:07 AM   #359  

Darkblue- I have a horse show tomorrow, so will be getting ready today. Other than that, there is a local carnival and a cook out on Monday. Do you have any plans?

Yesterday:
S - banana
L - hamburger
S - nectarine
D - shrimp scampi
Old 09-04-2015, 06:42 AM   #360  
Focus & Determination

Renee-yes, he is definitely a high energy dog. He keeps me busy. Wow, 30 years, I didn't realize those miniature horses lived that long. Definitely, part of the family then.

Darkblue-Labor Day varies by State/Territory across Australia. In the Northern Territory it falls on the first Monday in May, same day as May Day, so it is often referred to it as May Day in this area. Schools in our area run about 8 weeks and then the have a break for a few weeks before another 8 weeks start up. It runs like that all through the year. I am not sure if they all work that way though. I look forward to seeing your next dancing carrot!
Closed Thread