Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 12:35 AM   #331  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Smile Lifestyle changes that affect your diet

Lifestyle changes that affect your diet
  • Loneliness and depression. Loneliness and depression affect your diet. For some, feeling down leads to not eating and in others it may trigger overeating. Be aware if emotional problems are affecting your diet, and take action by consulting your doctor or therapist. Sharing meals with others can also be an effective antidote to loneliness. Reach out to friends or neighbors—everyone loves a home-cooked meal and most people who live alone are in the same boat as you. They probably feel just as awkward about reaching out as you do. Be the one to take the initiative. You may even be able to share cooking responsibilities—one prepares the entrée, the other dessert, for example. Cooking with others can be a fun way to try out new recipes and deepen relationships.
  • Death or divorce. If you’re newly single, you may not be used to cooking or have little enthusiasm for preparing meals for just yourself. However, cooking your own meals can help you take charge of your health. No matter your age, living situation, or culinary skills, you can learn to prepare easy meals for one that not only taste great but can boost your energy and mood. The key to cooking for one is to master a few basic skills and get creative in making meals that work specifically for you. After all, that’s the great thing about cooking for one: you don’t have to please anyone but yourself.
  • Living on a limited budget. You may think that it’s impossible to afford a balanced, healthy diet on a limited income. But with the right tips and a little planning, it is possible to enjoy healthy food on the cheap. Often, by simply cutting out junk and processed foods and avoiding conventional grocery stores, you can free up enough in your budget to enjoy healthier, better quality food.
Understanding malnutrition

Malnutrition is a critical health issue among older adults caused by eating too little food, too few nutrients, and by digestive problems related to aging. Malnutrition causes fatigue, depression, weak immune system, anemia, weakness, digestive, lung, and heart problems, as well as skin concerns.

Tips for preventing malnutrition as you age:
  • Eat nutrient packed food
  • Have flavorful food available
  • Snack between meals
  • Eat with company as much as possible
  • Get help with food preparation
  • Consult your doctor
(Source: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/he...as-you-age.htm)

Last edited by Corinna T; 08-29-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #332  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Down 1.6 lbs. I really tried to eat better last week and it worked! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal with blueberries
S - banana
L - cheese and tomato sandwich
S - grapes
D - stuffed pepper and stingbeans
Old 08-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #333  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

1570 k/cal today.

Renee--congrats!

*waves at Corinna*
Old 08-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #334  
Focus & Determination

Smile

Congratulations Renee!!!! You did wonderful. I knew you could do it if you put your mind to it. That is great. Don't forget to change your profile and signature ticker. You earned it, so put it up there.

Darkblue-your still doing good! Hope to see some positive results for you this week too.

Weigh-in for me shows I remained consistent with my weight from last week and still holding strong. Marching on to a new week.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #335  
Focus & Determination

Smile Healthy eating as you age: Overcoming obstacles to eating well

Let’s face it, there’s a reason why so many of us have trouble eating nutritiously every day. Sometimes it’s just quicker or easier to eat unhealthy food. If you’re having trouble getting started on a healthy eating plan, these tips can help:

Say “no” to eating alone

Eating with others can be as important as adding vitamins to your diet. A social atmosphere stimulates your mind and helps you enjoy meals. When you enjoy mealtimes, you’re more likely to eat better. If you live alone, eating with company will take some strategizing, but the effort will pay off.
  • Make a date to share lunch or dinners with children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, friends, and neighbors on a rotating basis.
  • Join in by taking a class, volunteering, or going on an outing, all of which can lead to new friendships and dining buddies.
  • Adult day care centers provide both companionship and nutritious meals for older adults who are isolated and lonely, or unable to prepare their own meals.
  • Senior meal programs are a great way to meet others. Contact your local Senior Center, YMCA, congregation, or high school and ask about senior meal programs.
Loss of appetite

First, check with your doctor to see if your loss of appetite could be due to medication you're taking, and whether the medication or dosage can be changed. Try natural flavor enhancers such as olive oil, vinegar, garlic, onions, ginger, and spices to boost your appetite.

Difficulty chewing

Make chewing easier by drinking smoothies made with fresh fruit, yogurt, and protein powder. Eat steamed veggies and soft food such as couscous, rice, and yogurt. Consult your dentist to make sure your dentures are properly fitted.

Dry mouth

Drink 8 – 10 glasses of water each day. Take a drink of water after each bite of food, add sauces and salsas to your food to moisten it, avoid commercial mouthwash, and ask your doctor about artificial saliva products.

"I don’t like healthy food"

None of us were born with a craving for French fries and donuts or an aversion to broccoli and whole grains. This conditioning happens over time as we’re exposed to more and more unhealthy food choices. However, a recent study indicated that it is possible to reprogram your brain’s food cravings so that you crave healthier foods instead of junk food. It takes time, of course, and if you were raised eating lots of meat and white bread, for example, a new way of eating might sound off-putting at first. That’s understandable. But view eating healthily as an adventure and start with small steps:
  • First and foremost, commit to keeping an open mind. Just because a food is healthy, it doesn’t mean it can’t be tasty as well.
  • Try including a healthy fruit or veggie at every meal. You don’t have to change everything all at once. Add a side salad to your dinner, for example, or substitute unhealthy fries with baked sweet potato fries, or have a smaller portion of dessert and fill up with melon and pineapple slices.
  • Focus on how you feel after eating well—this will help foster new habits and tastes. The more healthy food you eat, the better you’ll feel afterwards.
Stuck in a rut

No matter how healthy your diet, eating the same foods over and over is bound to get boring. Rekindle inspiration by browsing produce at a farmers market, reading a cooking magazine, buying foods or spices you haven’t tried before, or chatting with friends about what they eat. By making variety a priority, you’ll find it easier to get creative with healthy meals.

If you can’t shop or cook for yourself…

There are a number of possibilities, depending on your living situation, finances, and needs:
  • Take advantage of home delivery. Many grocery stores have Internet or phone delivery services.
  • Swap services. Ask a friend, neighborhood teen, or college student if they would be willing to shop for you.
  • Share your home. If you live alone in a large home, consider having a housemate/companion who would be willing to do the grocery shopping and cooking.
  • Hire a homemaker. Try to find someone who can do the shopping and meal preparation for you.
Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels provides nutritious meals to people who are homebound and/or disabled, or would otherwise be unable to maintain their dietary needs. The daily delivery generally consists of two meals: a nutritionally balanced hot meal to eat at lunch time and a dinner, consisting of a cold sandwich and milk along with varying side dishes. See the Resources section below for information on finding a program in your area.

(Source:http://www.helpguide.org/articles/he...as-you-age.htm )
Old 08-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #336  

Hot and humid here...will be all week...not complaining...I love it!
More hay to bale and the garden is winding down, I noticed the daylight is getting shorter. Enjoy your day everyone!

Yesterday:
S - banana
L - tomato and cheese sandwich
S - apple and grapes
D - taco salad
Old 08-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #337  

Sunday morning weigh-in, 277.6, down three and a half more pounds. Yay! I get to move the slider and add a dancing carrot.

Last edited by Darkblue; 08-30-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #338  

Darkblue- awesome!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:49 AM   #339  
Focus & Determination

Smile

Wowee Darkblue you are melting those pounds away!!! Good job!!!

Renee-do you have your own apple trees too?

You ladies did wonderful this week. Keep the momentum going.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 AM   #340  
Focus & Determination

Smile Healthy eating as you age: Tips for staying on track

Eating healthily is an ongoing commitment, but it’s easier than you think. Here are some tips for staying on course:
  • Ask for help. Admit when you need a hand to shop, cook, and plan meals and find someone to help. It’s important for your health not to revert to frozen dinners or takeout food.
  • Variety, variety, variety! Try eating and cooking something new as soon as boredom strikes.
  • Make every meal “do-able.” Healthy eating needn’t be a big production. Keep it simple and you’ll stick with it. Stocking the pantry and fridge with wholesome choices will make it easier to prepare quick, tasty meals.
  • Set the mealtime mood. Set the table, light candles, play music, or eat outside or by a window when possible. Tidying yourself and your space will help you enjoy the moment.
  • Break habits. If you eat watching TV, try eating while reading or use the time to catch up with your spouse or a friend. If you eat at the counter, set the table instead.
More help for eating well as you age

Healthy Eating Help Center: Explore these articles to help you make the right healthy eating choices for you and your loved ones.
Eating well as you age help (Source: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/he...as-you-age.htm)
Old 08-31-2015, 06:08 AM   #341  

Corinna - no fruit trees...but i do have blueberries. We have orchards close by and they have "pick your own". I get peaches and apples in season.
We're having a late heat wave here....loving it!

Yesterday:
S - banana
L - tomato and cheese sandwich
S - grapes
D - leftover spaghetti
Old 08-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #342  

Renee--I'm envious of your blueberry bushes! Fresh peaches sound wonderful, too.

*waves at Corinna* Thanks!

1300 k/cal today. That sounds low, but I may be underestimating the casserole I made for dinner tonight. I've no real way to figure out its calories and I'd rather err on the side of lower.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:01 AM   #343  
Focus & Determination

Renee-you do sound like you live in Paradise. I am happy for you.

Darkblue-I can understand estimating low. What kind of casserole?

It's bean and rice burrito for me tonight.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #344  
Focus & Determination

Smile Will 700 lb Man Makes Changes to His Life to Live

Doctors Warned This 700 Pound Man He Would Die. So He Did This--

This 30-year-old man once weighed almost 700 pounds and doctors told him he would surely die soon if he didn't make some serious lifestyle changes. They told Ronnie Brower he would never see age 35 if he didn't commit to changing his lifestyle and losing weight. Read story to see what happens and watch video at:

http://www.godvine.com/read/Doctors-...zing--945.html

What is the level of your commitment? Maybe it is time to raise it a notch.

Last edited by Corinna T; 09-01-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #345  

Corinna - thanks for posting that inspiring video....great story!

Yesterday:
S - banana
L - tomato and cneese sandwich
S - grapes
D - chicken with swiss chard
Closed Thread