Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #196  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Renee, have you ever tried using a food dehydrator? Just wondering...

I've dried herbs from my garden, then put them in Ziploc snack bags in my freezer & also in half pint canning jars. I especially love dill weed in my recipes & different mint flavors for hot tea in the winter

I made the pasta salad again, but skipped coating the zucchini in the flax-hempseed oil to grill & I didn't get sick.

That seems strange because I drizzle it on my baked-roasted chicken & salad greens, so I wonder if it was my Dh grilling his venison prior???

I'm just happy I didn't get sick, this is still a mystery. My cheese & dressings r not expired...

Life goes on
Old 07-29-2015, 04:46 AM   #197  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Yummy zucchini brownies!!!

You are making me hungry. Now I have to check my bare cupboards to see what I can put together.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:53 AM   #198  
Focus & Determination

Smile Cookies - With No Added Sugar

I posted this cookie recipe a long time ago, but worth sharing once again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cookies.jpg (42.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #199  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Dee- yes I use a dehydrator. I dry basil, oregano, rosemary, dill, mint, thyme and parsley. I have done carrot and zucchini chips and dried cherry tomatoes and corn. The cherry tomatoes were really good.

Corinna- that cookie recipe looks yummy. Do you think it uses quick oats or the old fashioned kind?

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal with blueberries
S - banana
L - cheese and tomato sandwich
S - zucchini brownie
D - baked ziti and stringbeans
Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #200  
Focus & Determination

Renee-I believe it uses regular oats. It has been a while since I have made them, but I'm pretty sure that is what I used. Not the quick oats.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:50 AM   #201  
Focus & Determination

Smile 55 Words of Wisdom from Weight Loss Experts

October 14, 2010
Nutrition Strategies /by Danielle Omar

I recently read an article in Whole Living magazine about the power of mantras. It was written by a marathoner who uses a mantra to get through those last few miles and tough uphill legs of her races. Then I started thinking…I use mantras all the time, for myself and with my nutrition clients.

Some people call them affirmations, motivational quotes, sayings, or good old-fashioned positive thinking, but whatever the term used, the result is the same: a change in behavior, attitude, and maybe even a transformation!

For you gimme-the-facts types, there’s actually some science behind the power of mantras. According to the article, researchers have shown that the repetition of a mantra can draw the mind away from troubling thoughts and cause a relaxation response. Mantras can also serve as emotional regulators, making you more resilient, un-shakeable, and in control. And who doesn’t want more of that, right?

I’ve had such great success with my own arsenal of quotes and sayings, I decided to see if any other Dietitians use affirmations or mantras in their practice. After a few days of inquiry, I got an amazing list of responses and a whole bunch of new inspiration!

I hope you find a quote or two that you can use to bring you back from those negative thoughts, especially if you’re struggling with weight control, mindless and emotional eating, or just have issues around food.

Don’t Eat All Day or Skip Meals?
“Never starving, never stuffed.” Danielle Omar, MS, RD
“Front load your energy.”Judy Simon MS,RD,CD,CHES
“Your body is like an engine…no fuel in el tanko, no burno.”Renee Wiggins, RD
Not Good About Planning Meals?
“It doesn’t take willpower to lose weight for good, it takes goodplanning!”Amy McCallister, RD
“Failing to plan is planning to fail.”Heather Mangieri
“Those who don’t TAKE time to eat healthy now, may have to MAKE time for an illness later.” Janelle Dietze RD CSG LD
“If you don’t put it in your buggy, you won’t put it in your mouth.”Batina Timmons, MS,RD,LD
The Perpetual Dieter?
“There is no pot of food at the end of the rainbow.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
“Education is ammunition.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
“Foods are not fattening.They may be high in calories but they are not fattening.Excess calories, above your daily maintenance requirements, are fattening.”Lisa Stollman-Smouha, MA, RD, CDE, CDN
“Eat during the day, diet at night!”Katrina Seidman MS RD LDN
“Habits not diets.”Sheryl Lozicki, RD, MBA
“Seek food rather than avoid it.”Rebecca Wright, MS, RD, LD
Overeat During the Holidays?
“Don’t let a slip become a slide.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
At holiday time, don’t eat like it’s the Last Supper.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
Are You an Emotional Eater?
“Don’t eat your emotions.”Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
“When you give yourself permission to eat, you gain control of youreating.” Michelle P. Gallant, MS, RD
“Face your stuff, don’t stuff your face.”Andrea Chernus, MS, RD, CDE
“Hunger is not an emergency.”Kathleen Searles, RD
“The first and last bite of something tastes exactly the same….no matter howmany bites are taken in between.”Beth Lutton, RD, LDN
“Deal with your other issues as those issues, not as eating issues.”Julie Brake, MS, RD, LD
Not Motivated to Exercise?
“If you work out, everything else will too.”Sheila Leard, RD, CSSD, CPT
“If your dog is fat, you need more exercise.Anne Moselle, RD
“Food is the fuel that allows you to do the things you love!”Lea Crosetti, RD
Don’t Have the Best Eating Habits?
Your next meal is the best time to make a better choice.” Danielle Omar, MS, RD
“Your body is your house and if you don’t take care of it, you have to leave.”

Tracy Owens, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN
“Downsize portion size, supersize common sense.”Jennifer Neily, MS, RD, CSSD, LD
“It’s not about deprivation but liberation through moderation.”Jennifer Neily, MS, RD, CSSD, LD
“For folks entrenched in the “clean plate club” think, waist versus waste.”Hope Damon RD,CDE,LD
“The party’s in the mouth, swallow and it’s all over.”Hope Damon RD,CDE,LD
“The freezer is your friend, cook once ,eat twice, or more.”Teresa Dotson, RD
Is this choice going to help me reach my goal?”Lorraine Huntley, M.Ed. RD LD CPT
“Do three push aways a day – Push away from Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.”Laura Coti Garrett MS RD CDE
What’s going to happen if you don’t change?”Nikki Ver Steeg, RD
“If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.”James Stevens MS RD
“Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.” John Lamberson, RD
“If something is not working….change it!”Jennifer O’Donnell-Giles MS, RD, CSSD
“If nothing changes, nothing changes.”Sandy Livingston, MEd, RD, LD/N
Feel Guilty About Food?
“Don’t “should” on yourself!”Charlene Geary, MS, RD
“Your body does not gain or lose weight off of one meal.”Renée J. Bordeaux, RD, CD-N, CPT
“There are no mistakes, only learning experiences.”Elyse Resch, M.S.,R.D.,F.A.D.A.
“Come from a place of curiosity, not judgment.” Elyse Resch, M.S.,R.D.,F.A.D.A.
“Progress not perfection.”Wendy Morgan, RD and Lorraine Huntley, M.Ed. RD LD CPT
“There are no dead ends in the road to (weight loss) success, just speed bumps.”Courtney Stinson, RD
“It is food … not cocaine.”Reba Sloan, MPH, LRD, FAED
“There are no failures or mistakes, just learning experiences- it’s okay that you ate a whole sleeve of cookies, but what was that experience like for you?Heather Rudalavage, RD, LDN
What should I eat?
“Eat food that expires.” Tina Marinaccio, MS, RD, CPT
“We are all different, what works for you won’t work for me, what worked for you yesterday may not work for you today.”
Maya E Nahra, RD, LD

“If it grows, it’s good for you, it’s that simple!Christine M. Palumbo, MBA, RD
“What you get back from your body depends on what you put into your body.”Jenn Giles, RD
“We don’t need to live to eat, but learn that we eat to live.”David Talley, MS, RD, LDN
“There are no good and bad foods, only good and bad habits.”Jennifer DeLuca MS, RD, LD
“There are no bad foods, only our behaviors around foods.”Lea Crosetti, RD
“Eat well and prosper!”Julie Brake, MS, RD, LD
“Think about what you’re putting into your body and how your body will use it.”Julie Brake, MS, RD
Danielle Omar, MS, RD
www.foodconfidence.com
Old 07-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #202  

Good morning from another hot and sticky day in Pennsylvania! Need to pick more tomatoes for sauce....

Yesterday:
L - beef salad sandwich
S - banana
D - steak sandwich with french fries
Old 07-31-2015, 06:05 AM   #203  

Good morning from a beautiful and less humid Pennsylvania. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Yesterday:
S - graham crackers
L - pizza cooked on the grill
S - grapes
D - hamburger and BLT salad
Old 07-31-2015, 07:58 AM   #204  
Focus & Determination

Smile The Push-Ups You Should Be Doing

Q by EquinoxJuly 1, 2015

These creative twists promise bigger calorie burn, a more stable core and a stronger upper body.

There’s a reason push-ups have stood the test of time—they work. “It’s a multi-joint exercise that targets your pecs, triceps, deltoids, abdominals and all of your key muscle stabilizers,” says Lucas Varella, a Tier 4 coach in Century City, California. “Plus, it doesn’t require any equipment, so you can perform push-ups anytime, anywhere.” The only catch is that in order to see results (and avoid injury), you have to do them correctly: Keep your head, neck and spine in a neutral position, your abs engaged and your lower body muscles (hips, glutes, etc.) activated throughout the movement.

How it works: Perform one traditional push-up using good form. Work your way up to 3 sets of 8. Once you can complete those without faltering, you’re ready to move on to these variations. “Mixing up your hand positioning and body movements will challenge different muscles, burn more calories and test your endurance,” says Varella. Tackle one of these exercises at a time. Do 2 or 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps, using proper form, and then move on to the next one.

1. Plank-Ups

Start in push-up position (hands under shoulders, back flat, legs extended behind you, toes tucked under). Keeping upper body engaged, lower right forearm to floor, placing elbow under shoulder, then lower left forearm to floor. Hold plank for one count, and then rise back up to start, placing one palm on floor at a time.

2. Mountain Climber Push-Up

Start in push-up position, and bring right knee in toward chest; extend leg behind you, and then immediately bring left knee in toward chest; extend leg behind you. Perform a push-up, keeping elbows by sides. Repeat.

3. Bird-Dog Push-Up

Perform a push-up, keeping elbows by sides. Extend right arm in front of you and left leg behind you; hold balance for one count, then lower. Do another push-up, and repeat balance on other side (left arm; right leg). Repeat.

4. Push-Up Row

Start in push-up position, gripping a kettlebell* in each hand, with palms facing each other. (*Note: The bigger the kettlebell, the more stable you will feel.) Bend elbows behind you, keeping them close to sides, lowering chest toward floor, and then press back up. Once up, pull left elbow behind you, bringing kettlebell up to ribs; lower. Repeat push-up and perform row on the opposite (right) side. Continue alternating sides with each rep.

5. Uneven Push-Up

Start in push-up position (hands under shoulders, abs engaged, back flat, legs extended behind you), with left hand on top of the ball part of a horizontal kettlebell. Without rotating your torso, keeping hips and shoulders square, bend elbows behind you, lowering chest toward floor, and press back up. Do 8 reps; switch sides and repeat.

6. Side Plank Push-Up

Start in push-up position (hands under shoulders, abs engaged, back flat, legs extended behind you). Lower chest toward floor, and then as you press back up, rotate torso to left and keep gaze on your left hand, as you lift your left arm and leg toward the ceiling, forming an X with your body. Hold for one count; rotate back to high plank and repeat.

7. Sliding Push-Up

Start in push-up position (hands under shoulders, abs engaged, back flat, legs extended behind you), with a towel under your left palm. Slowly slide left hand forward, as you bend right elbow behind you and lower chest toward floor. Without falling flat, extend left arm as far forward as possible, and then slowly slide back up to start, keeping arm straight throughout. Do 8 reps; switch sides and repeat.

8. Stability Ball Scissors

Start in push-up position (hands under shoulders, abs engaged, legs extended and together behind you), with tops of feet centered on a stability ball. Bring right knee in toward chest, then rotate torso slightly as you extend leg out, parallel to the ground. Perform a push-up, keeping body squared up as much as possible. Reverse motion back to start. Repeat on left side. Continue alternating sides with each rep.

9. Traveling Push-Up

Start in push-up position (hands under shoulders, abs engaged, legs extended behind you). Perform a push-up, and then step right leg under and to the left of your left leg and right hand under and to the side of left hand. Step left hand and leg over the right, moving back into push-up position. Perform a push-up, and then reverse motion (left hand/leg steps over right; right goes under left) back to the right (ending where you started.

10. Pike Push-Up

Start in a pike position (upside down “V”), with palms under shoulders, toes centered on top of a stability ball, legs together, hips raised toward ceiling. Keeping lower body still, bend elbows behind you, slowly lowering head toward floor; carefully press back up to start.

(Source:https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-pus...425856913.html)

LOL, I think I will start off with Push-up position one and count myself lucky if I can do a set of 5 for that one.....Corinna T
Old 07-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #205  

I would need help getting up off the floor!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:40 AM   #206  
Focus & Determination

LOL, these are too hard for me. I need to start with just the basics, just getting in the prone position (all fours) and then holding for as long as I can. I will have to start with that before I can raise myself up and down. Now I just need to make myself do it.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:51 AM   #207  
Focus & Determination

Smile Black Bean Chili with Sweet Potatoes

Here with a recipe that looks good that I need to try:

Ingredients
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 15 ounce can black beans (or a little less than two cups, if you're cooking them fresh)
  • 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 25 minutes
  • Total Time: 35 minutes
  • Yield: 3-4 servings
Preparation
  • Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil for a minute or two
  • Add sweet potatoes, carrots and bell pepper until onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
  • Reduce heat to medium low, and add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine well.
  • Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, until flavors have mingled and vegetables are cooked.
Makes 4 servings of homemade black bean chili.

Nutritional information per serving (from Calorie Count):
Calories: 427, Calories from Fat: 67
% Daily Value:
Total Fat: 7.5g, 12% / Saturated Fat: 1.2g, 6% Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 368mg, 15%
Total Carbohydrates: 72.0g, 24%
Dietary Fiber: 17.3g, 69%
Protein: 21.4g
Vitamin A 289%, Vitamin C 65%, Calcium 15%, Iron 31%

(Source: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soups...weetpotato.htm)
Old 08-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #208  

Corinna - that looks like a wonderful recipe for a cool fall day. I will print it out for sure!
Cut 2 fields of hay and will be baling tomorrow. Making tomato sauce and freezing zucchini today.
No change in weight for me

Yesterday:
S - banana
L - hamburger
S - grapes
D - roast beef with rice and sweet corn
Old 08-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #209  
Focus & Determination

I'm down 0.5lbs. Yeah! Finally some movement.

Renee-when you make hay bales, are they the rectangle ones or the big round ones? We use to have the rectangle ones, and it took a lot of muscle and work to load them on the truck or wagon and then again in to the barn. I would get so wore out, but a very good work out.

Last edited by Corinna T; 08-01-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #210  

Corinna - we make the big round bales to sell and make about 350 40 lb. rectangle bales for me.

Good for you for the weight loss!
Closed Thread