Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #286  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Lynn ~ I knew I was missing someone. So sorry. Sounds like you have a good plan and are making it work. Way to go ~ glad you are having a good weekend.

Now, I hope I haven't forgotten someone else ~ forgive me if I did.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #287  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

We actually had snow yesterday morning! .2 of an inch. It was just on the grassy areas. DH was up early and saw it, said it came down fast in big flakes then stopped. By the time I got up it was all melted. We don't get snow in April very often, especially this late in the month. This year had been very strange weather. The temps are supposed to rise through the week to more seasonable temps by the end of the week, in the high 60s without rain, so it should be nice. Maybe I'll go out and start cleaning up my flower beds.

I think I might have mentioned this before, but when I started eating more greens, kale and collards, my pain in my hip went away and my fingernails started growing faster and stronger. Normally I can never get my nails to grow past the nail bed. Everyone told me it was coincidence. That was over a period of several months. Lately I haven't been eating them, and the past 2 nights the pain in my hip has been terrible, and my fingernails are starting to break off and are not growing like they were. DH is laughing at me, but I am going to buy some baby kale at Aldi's and start eating it again to see what happens. I just think there's something in it that makes a difference. There's a reason why kale is called a superfood!

I hope you're feeling better day by day, Gayle, and I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-26-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #288  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

3 more pounds down at weigh in this morning. Even after a popcorn slip up night before last. Wrote it out on my blog yesterday. I weigh my self on the 9th, 18th & 27th of each month. It's a numerology thing and works for me. Getting more into Goddesses Never Age and then Christine Northup (the author) was interviewed on Super Soul Sunday yesterday. Feeling right on the money with her words of wisdom , will tell more when I'm finished.

Glynne: I'm glad your feeling somewhat better. Yes, I have felt the way you do about letting my grandkids just play alone ( be it video or dolls). I've been in a wheel chair all of the little one's lives and half the older ones- so they are use to it. I will sit in the room they are in though with smiles and hugs when they take breaks. My goal is to able to get down and dirty with them-just hope they haven't gotten too old for that by the time I can.

Hi Lynn, I see another 5'1 gal here.

Carol Sue: Snow? No snow here-but I've never seen stranger weather in over 40 years of gardening. The weatherman is totally stumped. Hasn't been right this whole '15 year.
I like your 80%/10%/10% plan. When I looked back over my food journal I realize that pretty much is what I do.

BTW ladies I use iFoodDiary app on my nook to track all my food, exercise, ect. It's really great-You can find it online as well. It keeps me honest and gives me a way on those only lost 1 pound days to go back and see what's up. What I might want to change.
(
Old 04-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #289  

Height: 5'3"

The sun is pretty warm this morning. Dh had a dental appt to see if he's ready for the posts to be dropped in. His mouth is still a little sore but is better. Yesterday his eyes were so tired and he was feeling a little depressed. The glaucoma surgery (2 years ago) was not really successful as he's back taking the eye drops again and since then his eyes have been so tired. I hope they can find something to help his eyes feel better and I hope too that the dental implants will end up a good thing. He works so hard and helps everyone and rarely complains so it hurts me to see him feel this way. He also still has some pain/discomfort from the lung incision and surrounding area at times. I told him when he begins to feel that to stop as he may be overdoing. I's hard for him because up here we never know when it will start raining and he feels like he needs to finish up things in the yard when there's a nice day. But I tell him he's more important than the yard work.

Yesterday after church we came home and ate birthday party leftovers. We watched Left Behind: Tribulation Force in the afternoon as dh hadn't seen it. I'm trying to get Netflix to work on the TV but guess you have to have some other device, like a blueray player or something to make it work? Anyone know about that? I'm going to call Directv today if I have time. I really don't want to buy anything as we were doing fine renting DVDs, just tried streaming movies on my computer and thought dh might like the capability on the TV as well.

I think I am going to get a recombent bike. It will not be easy to find room for it in the fam room but the price is right. Then I will keep trying the eliptical and may be get one of those...but where to put it is the problem.

Carole Sue - How do you prepare your kale? I used it once...can't remember now how I fixed it but we didn't care for it, but know it's healthy. I eat veggies but I'm sure more would be good for me. When I cook it's easy and I divide my plate with 1/2 the plate being veggies (if poss) and the other side a small serving of meat and starch. Most of my starch is whole grain. Its when I snack I get off track. My weight dropped down again to 168, hoping it holds. I agree with you about the video games...I have three gc who are on them way too much, games and movies pretty much morning to night. They are so used to them that they scream when they don't have them. Unhealthy.

Lynn - Glad you got your salad! Are you getting excited about your trip?

Fairy - When I finished PT for my back and neck I was told I was again 5'4" but a few weeks ago at my new docs I was told I was a bit less than 5'3"!! Even though I have continued the exercises. Maybe it is just the way they do it I'm curious now so may have my dh measure me.

You all have a good day!
Old 04-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #290  

This morning on the news they said that our current temperature, around 5 AM, was lower than the current temp in Ankorage Alaska! That was so hard to believe. It's still not real warm. It rained a bit and now the sun is out. It's 48 degrees.

I believe that Spring is coming, even though I can't see it. LOL

Today I am cooking a small pork loin roast. I sliced it down the middle lengthwise and put some stuffing in it. Something different. I also baked a potato and a yam. I think I will make green beans with it.

Mary, I used to buy fresh kale, which had to be cooked for a long time because it's tough. I simmered it in chicken stock for about 30 min. Now I buy baby kale. It is much more tender, more like baby spinach. I sometimes simmer it with chopped cabbage. Today I put it in a salad with iceberg lettuce. It's not my favorite thing to eat, but I eat it for the health benefits. You can also chop it up and put it in soup.

Have you ever used a recumbent bike? I like mine, but Gayle said hers bothered her back. A regular bike bothers my back. I guess everyone is different.

I'm sorry to hear that Joe is having so many problems. It sounds like you're right that he is always helping other people. I hope the doctor can get to the bottom of things.

Fairy, I hope you see the day when you can get down with your grandchildren.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #291  

Carole Sue - I will look for baby kale. Is it pre-packaged? I think it is kale that some people dry and eat like chips. I don't care for them but dh kinda likes them. Only time we tried them was when some of his family gave them to us as part of a gift package. It is fun to try new things and esp if they are also healthy.

Fairy - I don't think I congratulated you on the 3# loss! That's quite a lot to suddenly lose! I only occasionally lose 2#, usually it's only 1/2-1 for me. You are doing well!

My son just called and I'm getting the bike. It is like what I use at the gym. It does not have a bluetooth but it does have a USB port so I can upload my data to MFP. I'm excited. He's coming tonight for a check and will also measure for an eliptical. The prices are so good I can't pass them up! He so far as bought two and is very happy with them and plans to buy more. I wish my family room was larger! I am willing to get rid of my end tables but not so willing to move a large chair as we need it when the whole family is here. If I get an eliptical I'm hoping to get one with bluetooth. ETA: I think this is the one I am getting:
http://www.bowflexcatalog.com/bowfle...337&pid=search

This morning for breakfast I had a Dr Hyman's Whole Food Protein Shake...I did change a few things and I didn't have some of the ingredients, but it was good. The recipe is from the book The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook. I happened to have frozen blueberries so thought I'd try it. I used Adams PB instead of almond butter, chia seeds, flax meal instead of hemp seeds, walnuts, almonds, 1/3 banana and 1/3 T coconut oil, about 1/8 c almond milk and water. These were all in small proportions. What I didn't have were pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds and Brazil nuts. So kinda took his recipe and changed it but kept to still healthy stuff. I know almond butter is supposed to be better than pb but I don't like it so I use small amounts of what I like.

Anyone know if you have to have a Blueray player or other device to be able to stream Netflix movies to your TV?

Last edited by maryea; 04-27-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #292  

Mary, yes, Baby Kale is prepackaged. I tried making kale chips once but to me, they were like eating air. I normally don't eat salty snacks so I am not really interested in the kale chips.

I don't know anything about streaming. I googled it, and from what I saw you do need something, like a blueray, or you can use an XBox360 if you have one of those. Someone else might know. I guess if you're going to use it a lot it worth the money to make the investment.

That bike looks really nice, Mary. I hope you like it. I am very fortunate that we don't use our game room anymore and got rid of all the furniture except for an old recliner I have in there for when I want to just watch TV, which is hardly ever. When we have company, some of the ladies go downstairs and use my exercise equipment. My grandson loves to get on the elliptical. I tried to video him on it but there's not enough light back in that corner. He fell off it once, but he still gets on it. He's 6.

Maybe you won't need to get any more equipment since you and DH like to go to the gym. It will be nice to have something to use on the spur of the moment. I think it's great that both of you stay so active!

My pork loin turned out so good! I just dusted it with pepper and garlic sald and browned it in olive oil. Put it in the oven for about 45 min and let it rest for 15. I think today we will have tacos.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #293  

An overcast day but brightening up now. Dh went to the denturist to have the impressions made, he will come back for a while and then go back when the posts are ready to put in. So I am alone right now, but I will babysit this afternoon. I tried to sleep in but although I was in bed a long time I didn't really sleep that much. I feel fairly rested though.

I had the lowest BS I've ever had yesterday before lunch! It was 70!! That's really low for me. Even when I've had hypo reactions I've never been that low, but this time I had no reaction. I'm not sure I'll ever figure this BS thing out!

Yesterday I didn't get much housework done...did some things on my computer I needed to do..budgeting, things dh asked me to do, ordered OTC products etc. Dh took the car in for work related to a recall on our car. Not even sure what they did, think just a flaw they found and wanted to correct in all the cars just in case. Since I had to go back with him to drive the car back I decided to go to the grocery store as I knew I probably wouldn't get there today. Picked up what I needed for last night's dinner, tonights plus some chocolate Stevia they had ordered for me and a few items on sale. Ended up spending a lot because most of the items were high priced things even on sale.

We had fried rock fish last night (Smart Balance), lemon wedges, chopped green peppers, tomatoes and red onion on the side (dh couldn't eat the peppers and onion), and potatoes I cooked then lightly sauteed in a little Smart Balance. I'm sure glad I went to the store to get more fish as I had only bought 2 what I thought at the time were large fillets and we each ate a whole one. I think my son really wanted more and I offered to share but he refused saying he was just wanting the taste and wants to lose weight but later he went out for Taco Bell. I love cooking for my son as he is so appreciative of my cooking but I don't want him to gain anymore weight either.

Carol Sue - Some days dh doesn't really want to go to the gym..he goes because of me a lot I think. Esp in the nicer weather,he gets a good workout working in the yard. I think the social aspect is good esp for him though as he is more social than I and now that he doesn't go to to the men's group at church, the gym and the neighbors occasionally and our son are the only men he gets to talk to regularly. Continuing to be social is important as we age. I wish he would walk outside with me, but he doesn't seem to want to anymore so it is at the gym that we walk. So I just want a couple machines to use here at home while watching TV. Perhaps it will keep me from eating. I may never get a chance to get them at these deeply discounted prices again. So I'll just have to find a place for that eliptical when I get it.

Yes, I've been talking to others about the Netflix thing and it appears you do need another device. They don't cost much but it's not important enough for us so we are not going to do it at this time. Most of the movies in our Netflix queue are not streamable anyway...maybe 1/4 are. So we'll just stick with DVDs for a while longer.

Glad you enjoyed your pork roast. That will make good tacos!

Hello to the rest of you! I need to get to work before my gd comes.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #294  

I usually use Glucose Buddy on my phone but now that I've got an Android phone their app doesn't sync and I can't synch and check my estimated A1C.
Found this site to use instead and thought others might be interested. Don't know how accurate it is but mine showed just slightly better than it was in the doctor's office.
https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose...alculator.html
Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #295  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Joe sounds as if he really needs the social aspect, shame he doesn't go to the Men's group any more. DH is like Joe, but our Men's group is small and he really enjoys those fellows. Only get together two Saturdays a month, but he comes home just grinning.

One thing I noticed, not a single man in the group is an Engineer as DH is. So the conversation rarely touches on buildings except for the Church. DS has recently designed and is doing the construction administration for the Kitchen, Social Hall and Cry Room for our Church. The entire office worked on it, but DS donated all the work to help the Church. Lots of the members are retired, or have young children. The wealthy people seem to go to other churches so money is always limited.

I envy you getting the bike. I really like the one at the gym, but would love to have it while I watch NBA Basketball playoffs. Fascinated with the San Antonio Spurs and Huston Rockets. Spurs play tonight so I'll be up way past midnight to finish the game. 39 year old Tim Duncan is in remarkably good health and the oldest full time player in USA. Love his energy and spunk.

Weather: Very strange weather in past 3 or 4 years. I remember planting on certain days in May and everything prospered. Last few years we had heavy frost way in May after I had planted all my veggies and herbs. Also, we had so much rain this past year that even my Sedums died!!!

Have you ever heard of anything destroying that plant? I thought they lived forever, but I believe the soggy ground got mine.

Fairy, glad to know you are having some success and that you've found some good things to read. You mentioned you are in a Wheel chair. What happened? Did I understand correctly that you have hopes to be free of it in the future?

Lynn, Hang in there!

Gayle, please let us know how you are doing now. When will the doctor tell you what happens next. Does the surgery actually "fix problems?" How on earth have you made it so far without other surgeries?

CarolSue I certainly agree with the problem eating kale. The best I've had was when DH cut out the thick mid rib ad simply steamed the rest of the leaves. He put a bit of toasted sesame seed oil on it for flavor and we loved it.

We went to nursery and picked up some Shasta Daisies to plant in large Male Box Garden with Sedums, Daylilies, Cone Flowers, and Variegated Iris.
The good drainage in that garden kept the Sedums in healthy shape. DH dug the hole and we got those 3 Daisies in where they will brighten the area. Lots of walkers past our place and enjoy the front gardens. I simply love planning and planting so we're all happy.

Weight will not budge inspite of cutting back on my food, eating healthy, and increasing my activity. Seem to maintaining but must loose at least 30 pounds before the doctor will replace the bum Left leg. Lubricating shots are buying me time but I don't know how many times I can get those in that knee and still go 6 to 7 months without strong pain.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #296  

Love2garden, I always cut out the middle stem of the kale. Nothing is going to make it tender enough to eat. I used to saute some onion and mushrooms in with the kale, then add a bit of chicken broth and put a lid on it and let it wilt down. It was good that way, but took longer to soften than the baby kale.

Mary, your blood sugar might have gone down because the new med is kicking in, or maybe you didn't have as much carby food at breakfast. Whatever the reason, it's good! I looked at that site for A1c. I usually check at least 3 times a day or more, so my meter should give me an average, but I might not be catching all the highs or lows which would have to be figured in the average. I know from the readings I'm getting that my A1c is going to be worse this time.

DH has never been very sociable. If someone talks to him he can get into a conversation, but he will never start the conversation, and sometimes he just gives people one word answers. I on the other hand am very chatty and talk to everyone, probably too much. He never goes off with the guys. Has no friends, other than his brother. He has always been that way. One exception was when we went to a birthday party for a guy he worked with. These were guys he worked with every day and he knew them well. They were drinking and carrying on, and DH rarely takes a drink, so he got really wound up! It was a side of him I had never seen before. He was much more open and friendly, but I wouldn't want him to start drinking to be that way. I'll take him quiet and reserved. LOL
Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #297  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I feel like I am getting back in the habit of veggies & fruit. Now I need to work on my protein. Basically, it is typically my protein bar & some ff cream cheese. When I go out, I get fish. I'm not a "real" vegetarian, just not crazy about meat.

I bought a nice vegetarian cookbook. Now I just need to get up the energy to make some of the recipes.

Have a great day!

Lynn

PS - Yes, getting VERY excited about our trip. We leave on May 11.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #298  

Height: 5' 2"

Lynn, most people get too much protein and fail to eat veggies. Recently I discovered I'm short on protein and when I increased my meat, I gained!!!
Not sure how to hit the happy medium. I eat lots of whole grains and prefer that with blueberries, walnuts and skim milk for breakfast. That seems to stay with me long hours.

Carol Sue:
Funny how we end up with spouses that fit us. I used to talk non-stop but over the years have become so quiet that DH often asks me "What's wrong?" Sometimes it is easier to talk with a stranger.

Thank goodness we all get along as family and my being quiet allows them to talk, and they like that. So . . .

Frustrated, supposed to be be at Gym, but too late now, I have an appointment in 1 hour and must take off. Enjoy this day.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #299  

Cute video more about the ups and downs problems for Type 1 diabetes but we Type 2s experience some of this too now and then. Its real but kinda funny too. http://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/20...by-nick-jonas/

For the rest of you it will give you an idea of what it's like.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #300  

Now here I am for my regular post. I think I'm on here TOO much maybe. It was cool this morning, but the sun is out and I was glad I didn't wear my jacket. Had it in the car just in case. We went to the gym and I did my usual plus a few minutes on the eliptical...trying to get used to it. With my bad hip its not so easy for me to get on and esp off but dh stands by for me. After the gym we went grocery shopping at two stores. We used our fizzy energy supplements in our water and I think they really helped as we didn't as tired as usual. Tonight we are having baked chicken with mushrooms and a blend of green beans, broccoli and mushrooms with cajun seasoning. Am really trying to increase our veggie intake. For lunch today I had the leftover 1/2 of my rib steak from last night's dinner and stir fried it in olive oil spray with what raw veggies were left from the party veggie try, added a few splashes of soy sauce and it was really yummy!

Dh got his new teeth yesterday and they look so nice but more importantly he can now eat!! He was so happy last eating his steak and veggies!

I'm still eating my favorite snacks that are lower carb but trying to fill up more on protein and veggies so maybe won't need them so much. Last night I did not do well...I was hungry for no-bake cookies so I made 1/2 of my recipe, and just ate the "cookie dough"...possibly would have made 2 or 3 cookies and threw out the rest. Satisfied my craving, but my bs this morning was higher than usual. So not good. I wish I'd used Splenda but had a little regular white sugar on hand so used it. I probably wouldn't have liked the Splenda taste as much and might have eaten less but I had to have my fix and wanted it to taste like I wanted! Stubborn little girl inside me!! But at least I didn't eat it all...that alone could be considered a NSV for me. Still I need to get my BS down and binges like that, even though small compared to what I've done in the past, don't help. Well that's my confession for today.

I get my recumbent bike tonight! Our son will help dh set it up so they can make a nice memory of doing it together too.

I just got a call from New Seasons Market...I won one of their giveaways! Not sure what it is but has a $99 value. For those who don't know me well, entering sweeps is a hobby of mine, but I do not have time to enter so much these days. This is only the second prize I have won this year.

How much I talk depends on who I'm with. I am naturally friendly and talkative, often talk to strangers in stores etc, and probably talk too much to poor dh and other family, however other than that I am not really very social, have had few really close friends in my life yet everywhere I go I have people I am esp fond of and talk with but don't usual socialize outside that setting. You're right, Love2garden, it is sometimes easier to talk to strangers, why I don't know, but it's true. I kind of wish I'd been more open to others in my younger years...I was kind of a loner and preferred to be just with my dh and children. I am now more friendly and open to others I think and I esp appreciate the friendship of other women both on and offline.

Love2 - Although my fam might not agree I think I also talk less with family than I did...I think it's maybe having older children...they know more now and do not need your imput so much and often don't want it too I love to listen to them and am amazed how much they know...esp my sons since I haven't been around them much.

Well enough talking for now...I have work that needs to be done. I didn't get all my housework done yesterday. Need to vacuum and dust a bedroom at least. Take care you all..hoping all of you are enjoying nice weather now.

Last edited by maryea; 04-29-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Closed Thread