Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #271  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

No salad for lunch, but went to restaurant & had salmon & lovely veggies – roasted Brussel sprouts and squash. Had my berries this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Lynn, I hope you are blister free in time for your trip. Better to get those spots off as soon as possible.
Hi Carol Sue,

Yes, doctor convinced me to not wait. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
Hello, introducing myself here. I am 52, mum of 3, youngest in his last year at school, one at university and eldest grown and flown, she is a librarian at my local library, my own personal librarian...how cool is that
Hi Auto,

Welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Lynn - I'm excited about your trip to Italy! Have you been there before? Please tell us all about it. It's good you are getting things taken care of before you go (skin) as you will feel more relaxed. How is your hip, do you have any pain now?
Hi Mary,

Yes, we have all been to Italy, but none of us has been to Venice. Knee is pretty good – surgery was in September. Only pain is when I stay in one position for too long. I am getting a shot of cortisone in the other knee before we leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
[B]Lynn Do make sure you have some antibiotic cream to put on those areas that were burned off. One time when I had that done before we went in the woods camping, I became quite infected (area was under the bra and out of sight) Had to go to doctor who was surprised, but with outside John being the only kind of bathroom we had for 5 days, he then gave me some extra samples to finish out our stay.
Hi L2g,
I typically use Aquaphor – kind of like a less-greasy vasoline. I’ve never needed antibiotic cream, but have some & will use if I see any signs of problems.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #272  

Height: 5'3"

I lost 2# overnight! I wasn't very hungry last night so didn't eat much in the evening. I always say that my eve snacking in my main obstacle to losing weight. Of course this loss is probably mostly fluid but that's ok, and I do think if I can control my eve eating I will lose. Now to see if I can maintain it.

I got all myplanned tasks done for yesterday. I even cleaned the hall carpet and the rugs under the dining room table at the front entrance. Can't tell a lot of difference because I had let them go too long but it did help some. I would like to get into a monthly schedule rotating the rooms,but it's hard to plan when it won't get trampled on and has the time to dry. I didn't get any decluttering done. Today I plan to weekly clean the kitchen and perhaps a bit of decluttering. Halo has her grooming at 5 pm, an odd time for us but that was the only time I could get her in. I'd like to pick up some groceries but might have to do that early tomorrow. I want to make the chicken adobo tomorrow.

Finished reading a book called Close to Home by Lisa Jackson. Usually like her books but was disappointed in this one.

It's overcast and cooler again today..I think we are supposed to get some rain.

Take care and have a nice day. Glynne I hope you are feeling better and that all the pain and discomfort will be gone soon.

Last edited by maryea; 04-23-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #273  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

Thank you for all your prayers and kind thoughts and words. I am getting there. My neck is less sore ~ I didn't use any pain med yesterday. My bowels are my trouble and making me feel yucky. Does surgery, anesthesia, being NPO mess with your bowel function? Sorry if that is TMI ~ once they get to working right again, I think I will feel better.

Because of that, I haven't had the patience to be on here much, or any of the other online things I usually look at during the day, or my crocheting or even TV that much. But it's gotta get better right?

Hope you all are having a good day.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #274  

Hi Everyone,

Took my DD shopping & did not get salad for lunch - we stopped for pizza. Only had 1 slice, but missed my salad. On the other hand, I will have my fruit with dinner - pear/yogurt/raisins.

Funeral for friend's son is tomorrow.

Have a nice rest of your day,

Lynn
Old 04-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #275  

Height: 5' 2"

Gayle No pain med? wow, DH was prescribed "stool softeners" to take as soon as he got home from surgery and it solved that problem, plus I kept taking him cool water to drink every hour (he claims).

Mary I got into cleaning out a deep closet of shelves in my bathroom. It is sandwiched beside the toilet, but the shelves are 3 feet deep and I can't get in front of it. Reaching over toilet without falling in is a challenge. Hence, it rarely gets cleaned out.

Found some items that are douplicats, and towels that other family members didn't like but are too good for rags. Normally I'd go ahead and use them but decided that I'm worth having towels in the colors and size I want. Now, I get to carefully fold and put those pretty new ones away in the space I've cleared.

Lady Good to hear you knee surgery was good, and that the other knee gets "help" so you can enjoy being active. With 1 knee surgery and the other receiving lubricating shots every 6 or 7 months, I've discovered something that helps the pain of standing.

I don't stand still. I am constantly shifting from one leg to the other, a rocking motion that helps me. Funny, while standing at Church Reception 3 other women were talking with me and I realized we were all doing the rocking motion in same manner.

Problem came when I was Reader at Church and DH warned me to stand still while up there. Wasn't easy, nor comfortable. But I still can climb the stairs up to the Ambo!!!

Back to finishing my projects.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #276  

Yes all that mess with your bowels Glynne and esp the anesthesia and pain meds! Take a stool softener, drink fluids, eat fruit and veggies...move as you can...you know the drill. It's almost always a problem after surgery but in time it will pass (no pun intended). Glad you are feeling better at least, and no pain med this soon must mean things are going well. Take care of yourself though, and take it if you need it.

Love2garden - That would a difficult cabinet to clean for me too! I finally got my family room cleaned including the carpet except I forgot to clean the outside of the patio door. The dog makes a terrible mess on it and it will be back again a few minutes after I clean it. I also realized I didn't rinse the hall when I cleaned it yesterday! So I went over it with plain water. It looks worse now but hopefully when it dries it will look better. I really hope I can get on a monthly schedule (rotating rooms) with this carpet cleaning..I can't stand it looking so dirty and I've let it go so long I can't get it really clean. I suppose repeated cleanings will help. Glad the lubrication helps...the way I'm going I may need it one day too. That's funny about all you ladies rocking.

Lynn - I don't like to eat pizza without a salad...for me it seems to cut the strong taste. I do like pizza though. Another funeral...so sorry.

I am tired after the carpet cleaning. There was one really bad area under my dh's chair that did come out pretty good so feel good about that, but it wears me out but at least my back didn't hurt today. Trying to let it dry now which is hard with a dog who wants to go out but won't stay out and the ground is wet. Have to wipe her everytime she comes in. I pulled out some furniture into the kitchen in order to get more areas of the carpet and she's looking at me like where do I go, where do you want me

Going to clean that glass door and then have lunch and try to rest before we have to take Halo in for her grooming.

Last edited by maryea; 04-23-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #277  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

DH got extremely constipated when he was taking pain meds for his shingles. I really got worried. He quit taking the pain meds to try to help the situation, but I felt bad because he was in so much pain. He refused to take anything to help with it, so I made some Jello and put Miralax in it. It has no taste and can't be detected. It worked great, and he was none the wiser. Every time I have surgery they prescribe a stool softener. I continued to use them long after I needed to and had to break myself of the habit. I think it's important to let nature take care of it except in certain situations, such as after surgery, or after taking narcotic pain meds.

Lynn
, I think being able to eat just 1 slice of pizza qualifies you for sainthood! LOL Before I was diagnosed with diabetes I loved pizza and really ate a lot of it. It spikes my blood sugar so high that I have had to eliminate it from my diet. Occasionally when DH gets it, I will take a slice and pull off the cheese and toppings and put them in a salad. It gives me the "taste" of pizza without the carbs in the crust. You did say that salad wasn't available to you, but I don't think 1 slice of pizza did you any harm. Moderation is key.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #278  

Well my house is pretty clean now except for a few things I forgot that I plan to do today and other odds and ends things. I also have to shop for groceries and cook the chicken for tomorrow. Last night we took Halo for her "spa day" and she looked really good when she was done. I think they did a better job this time. It cost me $11 more this time because I had them brush her teeth...I think last time I thought that was done but it wasn't which was why it was cheaper. I don't mind paying that much for it. After bringing her home we went out to eat Indian food. I don't care for the place we went but son and dh like it and because of that I didn't eat much, but when I got home I gobbled down about 1/2 package of cookies that dh won at Bimart! When will I ever learn, I don't have to eat it just cause its there...it's like at the time I don't even think. So my weight was back up to 169# this morning. Strangely the cookies had no effect on this morning BS...it was high but lower than yesterday.

Lynn/Carol Sue - I agree with Carol Sue...you showed great discipline in only eating one slice of pizza. Carol Sue, that's a great idea mixing the toppings in with your salad...only trouble is for me, it's the crust I like the best so don't know if I could do it. I really have to lose this child in me that thinks she should have everything she likes.

I had a rough night last night although I did get some sleep thanks to aspirin and my cramp med. I think I slept four hours after taking the meds and then later I took two more of the cramp med and slept off and on from then on. It wasn't my hip, it was just terrible legs pains which then went into cramps. I don't think going off the statin drug has helped afterall. The hip pain is a separate thing I think...it still bothers me, affects my movements but the pain is usually fairly mild with just occasional worst pain. Aspirin seems to help better than Tylenol which makes me think there is inflammation involved. I also have Ibuprofen now but since the Aspirin is helping I haven't tried it yet.

Sorry for all my complaining. Need to get busy...you all have a good day.

Last edited by maryea; 04-24-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #279  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

Default Can I join in?

Looks like this is where every one is hanging out. Can't find much elsewhere. I'm 64 and halfway to me goal. I wanted to ask if anyone else is reading Christine Northups new book " Goddesses Never age."? Not a weight loss book per se. But lots of info that I think helps with weight loss and I'm only 6o pages in. I had myself believing I couldn't get to 129 at my age- don't even think of the 222 when I got married at 21 or the 107 at age 19. Now, I'm not so sure about that. At All!
Old 04-25-2015, 04:38 AM   #280  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Brief post just to say thank you for the welcome

Mary, I was zero carb for a year but I don't recommend it. I was desperate and at first it helped but not for long and soon brought more problems than it solved. Interesting your doc wants you to try it.
I am now low fat (ish...just had home made chips for tea tonight!)vegan. I eat lots of fruit and veg, whole grains and starch of various kinds. The book that made the difference ( for me at any rate) was called The Starch Solution by John McDougall.

And I ran today! Yay!

Auto
Old 04-25-2015, 04:38 AM   #281  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi fairy! I'm new in this thread too
Old 04-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #282  

Today is dh's birthday party although he won't be 80 until the 30th. I made the chicken adobo last night and he is now fixing the pansit. It is a simple meal as other than that, I just bought a veggie tray and some sushi for appetizers and a jello cream salad/dessert and ice cream. Our youngest son is bringing tortillas from a restaurant and our youngest dd is bringing the cake. So pretty easy for me. I bought a birthday table cloth but that's it for decorations. Thought about balloons but figured he'd think they were more of a nuisance than anything although the gkids would have enjoyed them.

Halo was taken for a walk and she tired out so is quiet. Hoping she stays a little like that but I think she'll still get excited when the kids come in. Some (adults and children) aren't used to dogs and so she'll probably have to stay in the garage or son's room part of the time today.

autodidact - My doc only recommended zero carb for a week, but I can't even imagine doing that.

Fairy - Welcome!! It's never too late until it is. I appreciate your enthusiasm and look forward to getting to know you better. I did take a peek at your blog yesterday. You've come a long way.

Today is slightly sunny but showers expected. Then supposed to be warmer weather coming again starting tomorrow I think. I was just outside sweeping the front area and no sweater or jacket needed, think it's around 60 probably. Inside the house felt too hot. Dh likes a spa temp year round in the house.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #283  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

Still not feeling back to my old self. The bowel thing has straightenend out ~ thank goodness for that. My neck hurts and is tender. Guess I thought I'd be all better and back to normal, but I guess it is gonna take time. I had never had a surgery before, so guess I didn't know what to expect exactly and feel kind of like a big baby for whining. I know some of you have had big major surgeries ~ I am in awe of you guys.

Last Friday and again yesterday, I went to help my son with some packing for his move today. It wasn't hard, I didn't over do or anything like that. Today, DH is with him helping ~ mostly by being there to let the cable people in and bring some tools and a ladder.

So, it is Maddie and me. Maddie's family has gone to Dallas or Austin (can't remember which) for some kind of all day concert thing ~ Corbin and his girlfriend went with them. They will be getting back tomorrow, so Maddie is staying overnight with us. I was a little apprehensive that Maddie would want me to play for hours and hours and that I wouldn't be up to that. But she brought along mama's iPad and is quietly playing games on that. I feel a little guilty that I am not trying to do other stuff with her and letting her just play with that. But it is not like we do that all the time. She is quiet and content, so I guess I should be thankful for that.

Welcome Auto and Fairy. Hello Mary, Carol Sue, and Love2. Hope I didn't forget anyone. Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

I still haven't been spending much time on here (since the surgery). Don't know why ~ but that is why I haven't done personals.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #284  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Gayle, we realize that your are recovering from surgery and I am glad you are at least posting so we know you are OK. I had never had surgery until I had open heart surgery at 62. The nurses were kidding me that I went straight for the big one. LOL

My grandson is 6 and he spends a lot of time playing with video games. He knows Grandma can't get down and dirty with him, but Pap Pap plays rough with him, the way he likes it. Sometimes I think that the video games are great learning tools for them, but to a point. It isn't good for them to do it all the time. They need to have other interests and activity. I don't think one day is going to make a big difference. Maddie seems to be a well-rounded child.

Welcome FairyGaia, I think we all would like to get back to the weight we were when we were young, but I'm not sure it's possible, or even desireable. Right now I just want to be able to wear pants that don't have an elastic waist! LOL

Mary, I don't think your doctor wants you to go zero carb as a way of life, but just long enough to see if your body is producing it's own insulin. If you go zero carb and your blood sugar doesn't improve then you are probably not producing insulin anymore.

It's difficult to do, especially if you are used to having carbs every day, and can cause problems such as constipation. Also, without vegetables, you are not getting much in the way of vitamins and other nutrients. But I don't think one week would have a bad effect overall. I don't think God intended for us to eat that way.

Right now I am leaning toward going 80% plant, 10% fat and 10% protein. I there is a new book out that promotes that eating plan. I am not interested in reading the book, but just cutting back to smaller portions of meat and larger portions of vegetables. It is similar to the eating plan promoted by Dr Joel Fuhrman.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-25-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #285  

Hi Everyone,

Welcome, newcomers. Had my daily salad & bought my berries for later.

Have a GREAT weekend,

Lynn
Closed Thread