Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #181  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Getting closer to getting this parathyroid thing taken care of. It is a frustrating experience though. The things they are wanting to do (appointments and tests and things) are not what I thought was supposed to happen. I just wish (and am trying to get) someone would explain to me what is going on and why. I don't think it is unreasonable to want someone to explain things.

We have had some nice days weather wise ~ I've been able to enjoy getting out and riding my bike.

Carol Sue ~ I'm sorry you are having so much pain in your elbow and hands. Not fun. I'm glad you made a doctors appointment ~ hope he can help you so you don't have to be in pain so much.

Mary ~ so sorry that you fell. Hope you are doing ok now. I have seen some exercises on Youtube ~ for strengthening your core. Some are aimed at seniors, some can be done while you are seated. Maybe this is something you could do ~ for days you can't get to the gym ~ to maintain what you do have left so you don't lose it all, or strengthen and improve.

Love2garden ~ glad you had some nice days to get out and enjoy the outdoors before cold weather returned. Your planting/gardening plans sound nice and the begonia plant sounds pretty.

It is kind of overcast out right now, but later this morning and the rest of the day are supposed to be a nice temperature and sun shiny. Yesterday was nice, but like a ninny, I didn't go out and ride my bike in the daytime. I was waiting for my son to stop by ~ he stops by from time to time, but sometimes, can't stay very long, so I didn't want to go out riding and miss my chance for a hug ~ LOL. I did finally go out in the evening and ride. I have been doing better lately with getting in some kind of exercise each day. I had missed getting out there the day before and for me it has been a lifetime of the least little thing ~ and I can find a reason to skip. I am trying not to be like that anymore.

I have been eating (for the most part) right (not perfect but way better than I had been), being more active and feeling better and I hope to keep that up as much as I can ~ I am tired of feeling bad.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

Last edited by glynne; 03-29-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #182  

Height: 5'3"

Got home about an hour ago from our dd's. Their kids (almost 5 and 7) sang in the kids choir at church so we went to their church today. All the kids were SO cute and of course we thought our gc sang really well ! Then we went to their house for what my dd calls Korean Tacos...pork with Hoisin sauce served with tortillas or rice (your choice) and a cabbage/carrot mix to put on top. I don't eat pork much but it was ok. The kids shared a piece of Easter candy with us for dessert. It was just the two of us plus our sil's mom and our dd and and sil and two kids.

Came home to find a bedroom window open and the the alarm not fully set and no one home. I can understand about the alarm but we're going to have to talk about the window as it put our house at risk. Our neighborhood is definitely not crime free.

I'm tired and promised the kids pot roast tonight as we didn't get to eat it last night so want to rest first. Last night we had pizza, some veggies to add if we wanted, soda and watched part 3 of Hunger Games. It was ok, not my kind of movie, I guess.

Hope you all had a good Palm Sunday!

ETA: Thanks Glynne, I will check out the core strengthening exercises on youtube. When the kids are out of here I will have more time to get back to exercising. Since they have been here I haven't been as consistent with my at-home exercises.

Last edited by maryea; 03-29-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

The swelling in my elbow has gone down a bit. That could be because I have not been typing as much, or it could be because I made a DR appointment and my body wants to make me look like a liar. I'm curious as to what he's going to say about it. I am going to print out the info I found online, although he probably will not be happy with my self-diagnosis.

My Christmas Cactus from this past Christmas has decided to be an Easter Cactus. Two blooms are open, and there's another big one coming.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:24 PM   #184  

Default Hello!

Just thought I would drop in on you guys and introduce myself. I am 52 years young. Happily married and a happy go lucky girl.. But when I got a look at the scale .. Last Fri I left my procrastination about dieting behind again. I rejoined here after being gone since 2009 and am back counting calories and trying to watch what I eat.I am looking for a thread that is lively, fun and keeps me motivated. I look forward to getting to know u all ...
Wañnabehealthy- Glad your elbow is feeling better.. And love Christmas cactuses.. I use to have a huge one but my cat kept getting in it and it pretty died. Its slowly coming back.

Mafyea- Have to agree. Hunger games not my favoriteovie either... Scary think I g someone could have been in the house.

Gylynne- Frustrating when doctors don't take time to explain or get frustrated because they are asked too,.
Hello to everyone else...pray you all have a blessed day! Smile! It will brighten your day!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 PM   #185  

My days are very busy right now. I am enjoying the gc and getting to know them better. My gs has always been loving to me and is easy to love. For one thing he looks like my son, his daddy! The little girl and I are getting closer. She is very cute and looks like her momma. She does not like me to hold her but tells me when she wants something. She tends to scream when she doesn't get what she wants the minute she wants it but is learning that doesn't work with gma. The gs was like that the last time he was here but doesn't nearly as much now and is talking better and mostly I can understand him and when I don't he is usually patient enough to repeat or point until i can understand. So hopefully the gd will be that way soon too.

Today I went to my doctor for my diabetes check. He was very rude! I couldn't believe it...worse than ever. Some of you know I've been contemplating finding another doctor, well this visit settled it...I may have to see him once more as he wants to see me in two weeks but so if I can't get into another doctor in that time, I will see him then but that's it. My A1C was up ...7.2 or maybe 7.5 I couldn't hear the nurse well. He put me on a new med called Farxiga, you may have seen the ads on TV. I had been thinking about it but was cautious because it is so new, but apparently it's been out for a year or two and after that time he started prescribing it. He is very careful bout things like that. He also told me to stop taking my statin drug for two weeks. So these two things are why I may have to go back in two weeks to make sure the bs drug is helping and whether going off the statin has helped my pain. If so he'll probably prescribe another drug for my cholesterol. They also drew blood so if that shows anything I'll have to go in for that too but I doubt it will.

Since the kids have been here my weight is on the lower end of my current weight range. I'm hoping it will drop more. It was even a little lower on the clinic's scale. Doc said with this new med people often lose weight so hoping that will happen to me.

But his rudeness really amazed me...I dreaded going in but was going to try again as I have so many other times. After he left the room, I sat there about to cry...I was sad, I used to think we had a good relationship, and we've been going to him for so long, but the thought of going back even one more time is not good. The nurse came in about that time and I managed not to cry. He had given me one sample box of meds and she was nice enough to go get me two more and explained what to do if my insurance didn't cover it. Turns out they do but I do have to have a letter from the doc or his nurse saying it is necessary just like she said. By the time I left I felt so tired as if I'd been wrestling with him...it's strange but I know I kept my calm, spoke up for myself but didn't fight with him. I felt tired and sad but at the same time I felt at peace and that I have finally made my decision for sure. When I got home I told my dh that I cannot stay with him whether he does or not. It will be awkward if he stays because sometimes I have to go with him though so I was glad to hear him say that's the last straw, we will change. I am praying that I'll find another doctor who will take me in two weeks so I don't have to go back.

Doitforme - Welcome back! I don't think I remember you...did you use a different name before? I've been here quite a while, losing and regaining, but it was only recently that I really regained long ago pounds due to some med. I hope to be able to lose that at least. Our active members are much smaller now, but we enjoy hearing bout each other's lives. I'm glad you've joined us.

Wannabe - I'm glad your elbow is a little better, but that's what happens to me usually. I go to the doctor and my symptoms are much less or even non-existent that day! Today my pain was not too bad but it did still hurt and of course the BS issue was there. I was actually expecting my A1C to be 8 so I was just glad it wasn't that high! I bet your blooming cactus is lovely. I can't seem to keep any houseplants going but our tree and azealas and some little white flowers at the foot of the tree are very pretty...not sure what the little flowers are, but they come back every year. Oh and our little maple tree is looking so pretty now! I love spring and after a mild winter, spring has come early. Today though kinda felt like winter...it was very cloudy, rainy and kinda cold!

Glynne - Are you getting any answers yet from the docs? I hope they will be nicer and answer your questions and give you the info you need. You're going in for surgery for Pete's sake, you should know what's going on!

Last edited by maryea; 03-31-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #186  

Mary, I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad time with your doctor. I don't understand since he seemed to be nice to you in the past. I don't blame you for looking for someone else, and if he continues this way, he will be losing other patients, too. My DH is very stubborn and really gives the doctor a hard time. I have a feeling that if he wasn't my husband the doctor would refuse to see him.

I don't expect my BS to be good this time either, and that's why I'm putting off having my blood work done, hoping it will improve.

I hope this new med works well for you. Did he take you off the other med, or are you just adding this new one?

I don't have a lot of houseplants. Just a few. We don't have a lot of light. I had to quit watering them because DH has gotten into the habit of watering them, and he doesn't check to see if the soil is dry before he does it. He has drowned a few! LOL

Doitforme, Welcome to Golden Girls. We are looking forward to getting to know you, too. We have all struggled with our weight, losing, gaining and trying to stay on plan.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

Height: 5'5"

Hello Ladies! My first post on this thread, although I wrote a bio in that section and have posted on the "Intermittent Fasting," thread and "Chicks in Control." I guess what I'm saying is I don't know where I am! I'm going to do the 16/8 fasting thing, I have a binge problem and I'm old!

But, I like the friendly chattiness of this thread so I hope I can jump in here from time to time.

Mary, I was so sorry to read about your rude doctor. I've had that kind and it's just an awful feeling. We're so vulnerable at the doctor's, it's hard enough to expose ourselves, both physically and mentally, without them making us feel bad. I hope you'll get lucky like we did and a nice new doctor will come to town. My new one is so young he actually doesn't mind that I've researched things on the internet before I go in and we laugh together when I tell him my WebMD diagnosis.

I'm a little hungry right now, only black coffee until lunch, on this plan, so I'll distract myself by doing a bit of housework.

Happy April fools day everyone.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #188  

Hi everyone! Went to the gym, stopped off at CU to get our 2 weeks cash and then came home. Haven't gotten much done except daily work so far, also have to do the first of month budgeting. I'm alone right now...dh went to store and dil and children are out.

Wannabe the med is working although not all my bs are perfect yet. Bedtime I was 112 which is very low for me and I was a little concerned about dropping further ...so I ate a small banana. But this morning I was still high although lower than I have been recently. Perhaps I should have trusted the glycogen to kick in sufficiently. It is good to see better numbers. He just added the new med to my others. So I'm on three different drugs for my diabetes now! Never thought I'd ever do that. It was this one/kind, injectables or insulin at bedtime. Still don't want to stick myself so chose this one...I'd liked the sound of it when I saw the ad on TV. Only a bit concerned it could cause problems with my cholesterol but then that's what the statin drug is for just hate to have to increase it. Sheesh! I hate depending on so many drugs but am thankful they are there too.

We have the same problem with houseplants...too little light.

Fluffyfat - I'll have to read up on the 16/8 fasting as I've not heard of that. Glad you landed here...you are welcome! Look forward to knowing you better. Yes, I want your new doctor! I want to be able to use my brain without fear of them thinking I'm not a good patient and also to be allowed to address at least one real concern when I go in for my 4 mo diabetic visits. I try and keep it to poss diabetes related but at times it seems he doesn't want anything discussed and other times he's different. Oh well, I just must find someone else.

Last edited by maryea; 04-01-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #189  

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome "Doitforme" procrastination seems to have moved over to my body also. I'm maintaining, well, but that is not my goal at this high weight. Hope you are able to get back in the groove.

Mary, so sorry your Doctor treated you so badly. Be grateful you do not have to live with him all the time. Hope the new meds work for you and am glad the insurance is cooperating.

Fluffyfat I don't fast and am not planning to try that, but I'll still listen to your experiences. I'm trying to move more, and eat less.
I do enjoy black coffee, the taste and the way it helps me get moving.

carol Sue Your elbow acts like the traditional tooth ache, getting better when the doctor or dentist is available to check it. I'm encouraging you to not wait any longer for blood tests and elbow check up. Hope he comes up with encouraging news.

Like Mary, I went to the gym today and am pleased at the good workout for an hour. After the heavy work out, I drove 25 miles to get a really good massage. Kelly is absolutely able to work magic on my muscles and by tomorrow I'll be more flexible and able to do some gardening for sure if the weather cooperates.

We have a beautiful evergreen shrub that wanted a second one planted to give that area pizzazz. After two winters, the dead branches and leaves give it a look o "Everbrown" and that is not pretty to me.

We will remove it, and because it is surrounded by epimedium and columbine, simply buy a large brown fiberglass tub, fill it with 2 bags of potting soil then put in 3 red Dragon Wing Begonias, with Blue Fan in front that drapes down 1/2 way to ground. We have a tub like that in a corner that has 3 chain link fences meeting and looking awful. The tub held big Elephant Ears for two summers, then last year we put in a southern Hibiscus with wave petunia draping down over the edges - a knock out from street as well as the back garden where we sit.

I used to feel disappointed when a plant died, now I look at it as an opportunity to try something different.

Lucky to discover I actually get a tax return!!! I was so afraid we'd owe a lot. 2014 was the first year we were fully retired so I wasn't sure how to handle our retirement and lots of dental expenses.

Don't want as much medical expences as in the past few years, but am grateful to be able to deduct that money and make tax bite less painful.

Gayle, what a delight you could get out with your bike!!! Any activity seems to brighten my mood and it sounds like it helps you too. Please keep us posted. You describe so well, thanks.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #190  

The doctor was able to handle my elbow issues himself. I'm glad of that. He used a needle to draw out the fluid. Looked like apple juice. Then he injected some cortisone. It didn't hurt, but was just uncomfortable. Now it is hurting more than it did before, but I guess that's because of the needles. I took a Motrin and will go lie down for a while. Hope I can sleep tonight.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #191  

Default Hello!

I did good last couple days considering That I went to a seniors card party with a freind and there was a covered dish lunch and then on wed nights I have a youth group at church and we had an Easter party with pizza and tossed salad and junk. I had just tossed salad and some pea pods that I brought. No pizza or junk. I didn't get enough water in last two days so got to do that. I gained 1.3 pounds. I weigh every day and so far have had a loss everyday until today. But I know fluid can do that too just got to get the water in and that helps.

Maryea- Wow! No reason for doctor to be rude like that I definitely would change. I probably would have just had to say something back too him as well which probably wouldn't have helped. But there is no reason for that. My mom and my husband are both diabetics. Both on two types insulin. Awesome getting to the gym!!!

Wannabe- Thanks! So glad they treated your elbow pray your soon on the mend and pain free cortisone usually helps.

Fluffyfat- Hi there! Glad you joined us.

Love to garden- We can support each other through - I usually am not a procrastinator but definitely was this time. Back to work at it now. I have lost 5 lbs since Saturday. Can't wait for nice weather to clean up the yard and start planting some flowers. Gotta
run off to work. Have an awesome day!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #192  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Woke up early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep ~ I hate laying there hoping to sleep and it doesn't happen ~ I would rather get up ~ so here I am.

I haven't spent as much time on the computer lately. I've been working on crocheting a prayer shawl for a friend who was recently diagnosed with cancer. I want to get it to her so it will maybe help her to have positive thoughts and vibes and maybe help keep her spirits up ~ hoping it will comfort her and be a reminder to her that lots of prayers are going up for her.

Still working on getting this parathyroid surgery thing arranged. It is coming along. My husband ~ thank God for him ~ has been helping me with it ~ the talking to people and all. We are finally starting to get somewhere. It was just one lady who I could not seem to communicate with that was making it hard. My husband was able to get to talk to some different people and now things are coming together. I have to go on April 10th and have some tests and lab work. They are in the process of gathering information (from tests etc that I have already had) and when they get that, the doctor will be able know what further tests I need to get ready for the surgery. I feel really good about him ~ he himself called my husband and answered questions ~ that meant a lot to me that he would take the time to do that. My husband said he sounded very nice and not all arrogant like some of them seem to be.

Welcome Doit ~ glad you've joined us. Sounds like you did a good job at the youth group party ~ resisting the pizza and junk foods. Keep up the good work.

Carol Sue ~ glad the doctor was able to fix up your elbow. I have had those cortisone shots before ~ as you said ~ a little uncomfortable during and kind of achy after. They have always seemed to help me and made me glad I had them. Is it still cold up by you? Hope for you that it is warming up and getting springy.

Love2garden ~ good for you ~ getting to the gym. Did your massage help? Hope the weather was nice so you could enjoy time out in your garden. Your planting plans sound like your yard will look really pretty.

Mary ~ glad you got a little alone time the other day. Glad the new diabetes med is working. With your blood sugars being better ~ hopefully that will help you feel better too. How are you after your fall the other day? Hope you are ok. So sorry about your doctor being rude to you. I think I would be looking for a new one too. Do you have any woman doctors in your area? I always try to find a woman one ~ they seem more kindly and understanding of women.

Hello Fluffy ~ welcome ~ looking forward to getting to know you. Glad you've joined us.

Gonna get back to work on that shawl. I am almost done and would like to get it mailed out to her today.

Hope you all have a good day.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #193  

My elbow feels a lot better today, but not 100%. I forgot to ask how long it would take for the cortisone to do it's job. There is still a bit of swelling, and only a slight twinge of pain once in a while. I will continue to ice it once in a while and also take Motrin at least one more time. Haven't taken any since that one I took yesterday evening. He did say that this could come back. He said that bursitis is like that, and it might need more than one treatment. One good thing might come out of this. In the past, when I have had cortisone, it has put my psoriasis in remission for a while. That would be a big plus.

While I was in the waiting room reading a magazine I saw an ad for a new Psoriasis drug. It is a pill rather than an injection and although it has side effects, they are less troubling than the possible side effects of Enbrel. It's things like headaches, digestive issues, but nothing like immune deficiencies or possible cancer. I have refused to use those biologics in the past, but might consider this new drug once I research it more.

We are going to my step-son's for Easter dinner. This is the first holiday I didn't host since my MIL passed away. I am still cooking half a ham for home per DH's request. I am making potato salad to take, and will make enough that I can leave some at home also. This morning I made dough to make some sugar cookies to take. I am also making beets and horseradish today, and will make some Slovak Easter Cheese on Saturday. The cheese and beet horseradish is a Slovak tradition that I have carried on since my MIL passed away. It doesn't seem like Easter without it. No one else in the family makes it, so when I am gone, so is the tradition, and I'm not even Slovak! I boiled 6 eggs and will make pickled eggs with the beet juice. Those will just be for me. That's the cook's advantage. LOL

Doitforme, it can be very challenging to socialize when you're watching your diet. The best thing to do is either bring something that you know you can eat, or look over the options and choose the least damaging thing. And then don't dwell on it. Get right back on plan the next day. It also helps to eat something before you go to keep your hunger at bay.

Don't worry about procrastinating. I have been trying to lose these pounds for several years. Up and down is all I accomplish.

Fluffy Fat, I have done the 16/8 fast in the past, but not on a regular basis. It's easy once you get into the habit. For those who aren't familiar with it, you have an 8 hour eating window throughout the day, then you don't eat after a certain time until your first meal the next day. For me, it keeps me from snacking during the evening. Some people have an eating window as small as 5 hours, but that's not for me. Also, some people have problems with it because they try to cram as much food as they can into their eating window. That is counter-productive. You should eat normal healthy meals, but just keep it within your window.

Mary, I have the same problem as you do when my bedtime BS reading is on the low end, and I'm afraid it will go too low during the night. I have only had 1 bad situation. I woke up during the night to go to the bathroom and I felt very shaky and weak. I checked my BS and it was 44. I sat down in my recliner and yelled for DH. He came out and gave me a piece of hard candy. I checked again in 15 min and it was 90. This is part of the reason that I don't always take my glimiperide like I'm supposed to. I think you are better off to have a small snack at bedtime rather than risk a low. I think once you get used to the effects of the new med you will do well with it.

My fasting blood sugar has never been good, even when my A1c was good. My doctor never asks me about fasting blood sugar. He just checks the A1c. I have heard that when you start to lower your blood sugar, the fasting reading is the last one to go down, so that might be why yours was high.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #194  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol Sue What good news that the doctor drained fluid from your elbow and inserted cortisone. Wouldn't that be a bonus if the psoriasis gives you a break, too!!! Don't know how you tolerate or keep up with so many issues that makes just living the day hard. I need to be grateful that I'm feeling so good and stop complaining about the smaller things.

Beets and horseradish!!! My Polish husband fixes this to eat with roast beef, or such. Finding refrigerated shreaded horseradish is no longer possible in our local grocery stores. That made it so easy. How do you prepare the horseradish to mix with the beets?

Mary small bedtime snack sounds worth doing. That way you could have something that would be slowly digested and perhaps sleep better, too.

Weather here is without wind, in the 50's, cloudy and calling me to get out of house and tackle the weeding that is perpetual. We will put fencing around one beautiful plant that is just outside the Master Bedroom. It sprawls but sends out these wands of red blooms in July that I love. Hate to have it take up so much of the veggie garden, but even the foliage is beautiful with pleated spikes of green.

Our north fence has 3 tall Japanese Silver grass plants to give our friends and neighbors some privacy for their pool and family parties. We will put up flexible temporary fencing this year that is 30 to 36 inches tall to help corral those grasses, so the ruby red Cone Flowers can have their own space. They really show up with the tall grass with its silver streak on the green. the Cone Flowers have such a different shape and I love the contrast.

Planting some dill seeds today among the dayllies that are already up 6 inches. Hope the foliage isn't damaged in the next cold spell, but can't do anything to push the growth back in the ground.

No flowering shrubs here yet. DH and DD went up river to take her paintings to Gallery yesterday and saw no blooms. I went 25 miles down stream and saw only bare stems with buds showing. Soon . . . At least we are finally in April and Spring!!!

Sue you sound as impatient as I feel to get out and begin putting in flowers.

Gayle What color is the prayer shawl you are crocheting? May your friend be fortunate and recover from Cancer as so many are now doing.
How fortunate you are that your husband is able to help coordinate your medical stuff. He sounds like a Jewel.

Last edited by love2garden; 04-02-2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: more thoughts to write
Old 04-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #195  

My MIL used to grind the raw horseradish root in a hand grinder, and cook and mash fresh beets. I cheat. I buy prepared horseradish in a jar and use mashed canned beets. I ground the horseradish root the first year and the smell was so strong, I had to keep leaving the room because I couldn't breathe! My family is very happy with what I make. Other than DH, they don't even know how I make it, just happy to get it. I buy BL brand horseradish in a jar in the dairy case near the yogurt/cottage cheese. It comes in regular and Xtra hot. I buy the Xtra hot. For my step son, I mix 1 can of beets, mashed, with 1 jar of horseradish. For everyone else, I use 3 cans of beets with 2 jars of horseradish...a little milder. We put it on baked ham and also on the Easter Cheese. My step-son eats it right from the jar with a spoon!

Gayle, I'm glad things are moving along so well for you with the parathyroid surgery. It's always good to have a caring doctor.

Do you have a pattern for the prayer scarf or do you do it free hand? It is a very nice gesture.
Closed Thread