Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Love2garden, when I was over 200 I wanted to get under 200 so badly! When I finally did it I was so excited to finally be there. But then I lost my drive. I kept thinking "at least I'm under 200" and just can't seem to stick to it as firmly as I did before. After my surgery in 2011 I lost another 20 lbs but it was due to the surgery not anything I was doing, so it came back on easily. Right now I am working at eating 1 helping at dinner and throwing away the leftovers. It is so hard for me to put that food down the garbage disposal! For years I have just had another full plate of food. This is just a very hard habit for me to break, especially when it's food that I really like. Some things like meatloaf, or lasagne I give to my step-daughter because her husband likes to take the leftovers for his lunch. If I keep it for leftovers, I eat it and I don't need it. DH won't eat leftovers. I have increased my vegetable consumption, and how can vegetables make you fat? But I just can't lose and keep it off.

Mary, I have psoriasis and sometimes it's on my scalp and around my ears, so I like to have my hair cover my eats so it can't be seen. I seem to have every ailment known to man! LOL These problems all started in my late 40s and early 50s, along with the weight gain, when I started through menopause. I know your body goes through changes and I guess this is how it manifested itself. I keep thinking that if I would lose the weight, some of these ailments would heal themselves, but the weight just won't budge. I don't get hungry, I get mind hunger.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #92  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Loved your comment about having lots of diet books and should have eaten them instead!

Carol Sue I well understand the desire to be out of the 200's. That is one of my goals, but I'm 228 and can't even get out of the 220's for the past year.

Leftovers: Love them, but DH doesn't unless it is lasagna or chicken soup with Kluski. DD has the refrigerator full of her leftovers and I have to check them at times as they are too old to eat.

I miss being in charge of the Kitchen after decades. However, in the evening it is nice to know my work is finished as I hear dinner being prepared and DD cleans up well afterward.

I was far more careful to run the dishwasher fewer times by washing pots and pans by hand. Trying to make the machine last more years. Frustrating at times to realize how often it runs now, but simply bite my tongue (which makes it sore and I tend to eat less.)
Old 03-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #93  

Love2garden, I don't have a dishwasher, so that's not a problem here. I have a very small kitchen and when we got new cabinets there was no room for a dishwasher. There's 2 of us, don't need a dish washer, but it does increase the value of the house. My step-son's first house had a dishwasher but it was a small one and their dinner plates didn't fit in it. Now they moved to a different house. It has 2 kitchens, but no dishwasher! They didn't say, but I don't think they realized it didn't have a dishwasher until they moved in.

Mary, I just came home from the store with the ingredients for my bread. I found a recipe online that doesn't call for the gluten and the store didn't have it anyway. I will see what happens.

Now I was looking at the instructions that came with the machine and it has a recipe for multigrain bread, which I love. Depending on how this rye bread turns out I might try the multigrain. It calls for multigrain cereal, which I see is part of the Bob's Red Mills line.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #94  

I think the bread is going to turn out OK without the gluten. My machine is for 1 1/2 lb loaf and it has risen almost to the top of the pan. It has 1 hour and 9 minutes left to go.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #95  

The bread turned out good. If I were to make it again I would set it for light crust instead of medium because the crust was too hard for my liking. The inside was very soft, but had that grainy texture I like in rye or whole grain bread. Only problem is, I can't eat very much of it because of my blood sugar.

My next experiment will be a recipe I found online for high-fiber bread.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #96  

Height: 5'3"

Been doing laundry and cleaning house today. Still have one load in the dryer and one in the washer. Was changing the sheets in son's room and forgot to put back on the mattress cover as I washed everything today. Threw it in a corner of our room and hopefully will think about it next week. I'm too lazy to remove the sheets and put it on...that's how lazy I am! My motto is there is always next week...

Tonight I'm making a dish called Tuna Melt. I hope it's good. My son really likes cheese but dh and I not quite as much. We do like a little though. I will serve it with a salad I think.

Carol Sue - Yes bread will turn out well without the gluten added...I made it for years without it. I can almost smell your bread from here! mmmm...there is no smell like baking bread or freshly baked bread! I remember walking home from school to my mom's freshly baked bread or sometimes it was cinnamon rolls. I'd sit down immediately and eat a lot of it right then. Maybe I should have kept that breadmaker...but no, I'd eat too much.

We have a weekly "leftovers or pantry night" and on that night we each get our own. If there are leftovers we like we eat them or just something quick from the pantry or fridge. Dh is usually willing to eat leftovers, with me it depends...if it is something I really like I will. These days we don't often have leftovers because our son takes them for his lunch. But there is usually some kind of frozen snack type thing we can have for a meal or a can of something. I often go for a pb sandwich. There are usually baby carrots for me for veggie but often dh doesn't get a veggie now that he can't chew much. When he can chew better he often fixes an asian noodle dish or stir fry with veggies.

I cannot imagine life without a dishwasher! When first married I didn't have one but have had one (good or not) since about 1969. That one wasn't good but I used it, just had to hand clean many things too. I think I got my first good one around 1995 and never looked back. I've had three good ones since then. It's one of those things has to work well to really be much help.
We run ours every night and almost everything goes into it. My dh has one griddle that he insists has to be hand washed...it really doesn't...said it right on the label when I bought it but he is convinced otherwise so I do hand wash it. Appreciate your sense of humor, Love2garden, but don't bite too hard!!

Last edited by maryea; 03-03-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #97  

Mary, I think when you are used to having something you can't do without it. I'm that way with the garbage disposal. When we first moved into this house there wasn't one. We were on a very tight budget, just buying a house, but I only lasted about a week before I told DH I had to have one. We are on our third one. I have never had a dishwasher, even when I lived in my apartment. DH had one in his house but when I met him the motor was burned up and he never replaced it. I think they are good to have as they really clean and sanitize the dishes, but I would have to add on to the house to fit one in. LOL

I don't think I would have bought the breadmaker new. I got it at a flea market years ago for $25. Still in the box, never used. Someone probably got it as a gift and didn't want it. Like you, I can't be eating much bread. I am looking forward to making that high-fiber bread and then testing afterwards to see what it does to my blood sugar.

My mother made bread every Saturday for the whole week. I don't know if she really saved money by doing that as this was back in the 50s when bread was about 10 or 20 cents a loaf. I got tired of home made bread and rarely ate it. Sometimes by the end of the week we would run out of bread and we would get a loaf of store bought bread. Now that I really liked! I'm back to liking home made again because I don't get it often.

I made spaghetti tonight. I ate a small portion of pasta and lots of meatballs. It's hard for me because I love pasta, but I keep thinking how much I like having toes.

Well, I hope we all sleep well tonight!!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #98  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Off to a good start today ~ I was less stiff and achy this morning, and even though it is overcast, it was a comfortable temperature, so I rode my bike ½ hour. I can get ½ hour by going around the circle I live on and going down the cul-de-sacs and a couple of paths. I wish I would feel energized like I have read ~ that people feel ~ after exercising. But I have never gotten that feeling after exercising ~ I feel pooped. The good feeling for me is that I actually did it.

Always some interesting discussion here.

For the first 18 years of marriage ~ the places we lived didn't have a dish washer. I guess I didn't know any different, because my parents didn't have one. Finally in 1994, the house we moved to had one. I sure did like that, and wished there had been one in places we had lived when the kids were little. It would have ment I could have had more time to spend with them instead of standing over that sink for (what seemed like) hours doing dishes by hand. Oh well, we all survived.

That brings back a funny memory about doing dishes. When the kids were in jr high ~ doing dishes was one way they could earn an allowance. Sara hated doing the dishes so much, she would wheel and deal and spend part of her allowance ~ paying her dad to do the dishes for her.

Carol Sue ~ I liked your comment about loving pasta, but also like having toes. I try to remember those things when I want candy and junk. Thinking that I don't want to lose my eye sight or my kidneys or a limb. Sometimes it works to remember that ~ sometimes not. Oh, your profile picture is so pretty. It is nice to see a face to go with the name.

Mary ~ I would not call you lazy because of not wanting to un-do the bed you had just made. All the cleaning you do ~ I feel like you run circles around me.

Love2garden ~ that is my short term goal too ~ to get under 200. I have been so close several times, only to mess it up and gain back. Grrrr

Gonna rest up a bit and then have a couple small projects I want to get at. Some clothes I need to alter a little for Mom for her birthday and sew on name lables (the nursing home wants their clothes to be labeled).

Hope you all are having a nice day.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #99  

I guess I should not have made my comment hoping that we all slept well, because I didn't sleep well at all! I was awake until 1AM watching reruns of Friends. DH was able to sleep through it. After I turned off the TV I tossed and turned. At 5AM I got up to go to the bathroom and took 2 Tylenol Arthritis, then slept until 10AM. Not long, but better than nothing. Getting up so late meant I didn't eat breakfast, because I wanted to go out to the library before it started snowing. Then I came home and ate lunch. I am making hot sausage for dinner. DH will have a sandwich, and I will just eat it without the bread, with a salad.

Mary, you run circles around me with cleaning, too. When I worked full time I blamed it on not having time. Now that I'm retired, I just want to do fun things. It's hard for me to get myself moving. At the end of the month my grandson is coming for a sleep over. We have a bed for him in my step-daughters old room, but I also use that room for storage. Right now it badly needs cleaned up. He hasn't been her for a sleep over in months, and I've been piling a lot of things in there. That's one way to get me to clean it out. Another way to get me to clean is when I'm hosting a family get-together.

Gayle, thank you for the nice comment about my picture. One of these days I will have DH take a picture of my short haircut and will post it there for you to see how much shorter it is.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-04-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #100  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Almost bed time. Tomorrow is the day I go for that 4D CT scan (parathyroid).

I have been feeling stressed the last couple days. I've got procedures to get scheduled ~ and I worry that the timing of it all will work out. And I worry ~ hoping that the outcomes are good and that nothing bad is going to happen to me. I know I should trust God that everything will be ok, but people don't always get what they hope for or want. One of my fears is that I will finally get retired and then have some health problem and not get to enjoy being retired.

I need to stop it. I have had trouble with wanting to ~ and giving in to ~ stuffing my face at these times of stress. Mary, I think that I remember asking you one time how you deal with wanting to eat when you felt stressed and you said that you would go lay down on your bed and pray about things until the feeling passed. I need to try to remember to do that.

Carol Sue ~ your comment the other day ~ that you liked pasta, but you liked having your toes ~ made me remember that back along, I had found a picture of an eye and of a kidney and kind of had them to look at ~ to remind me ~ that I have to try harder to take care of myself (eating right and exercising) because I don't want to harm my eyes and kidneys. So, this evening, I found those pictures and made one also of toes and have these taped to the top of my computer screen, on the fridge and on a cupboard where there is food. Hoping that seeing these will remind me that my bad habits could harm me.

I also, because I am scared and stressed, have been short of patience with my husband. I need to try to over look his quirks.

Ok, I'd better get to bed ~ tomorrow is one of those days when I can't just sleep until I wake up ~ gotta set that alarm.

Hope you all have had a good day and rest well tonight.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #101  

Gayle, I am praying that your test today has a good outcome, or one that can be easily taken care of. I do understand your fears. It's true that many people pray that things will be OK and they're not, but we need to trust God that whatever happens, he will get us through it. Why do we always turn to food for comfort? Do you know there are some people who lose their appetite in times of stress? I think the ones who need the food the least are the ones who eat during stress. We need to learn that the food will not change the outcome and the comfort we get from it is only temporary. God is always there.

That's a good idea to have those pictures to remind you of the dangers of not controlling our blood sugars. You have been riding your bike recently and that really helps! Don't look at it as "I only did it once" but think "I did it once and I can do it again." Be positive. Think about how it's helping you. I need to practice what I'm preaching!

As you go in for your test think "God will take care of me."
Old 03-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #102  

Height: 5' 2"

CarolSue How I wish I lost my appetite with stress, but I go the other direction and crave crunch.

Gayle Prayers for testing to locate the problems and the doctor to be able to fix it easily.

Stress high in our family as adult grandchildren have serious problems. Both granddaughters have serious, life threatening illnesses, one had to drop out of college this semester because of Crones. Other ha tumor in abdomen that may be inoperable because of her fragile health.

Then one DGS twins may not make it to birth because she is in dangerously poor health. Prayers please for these 3 and their families.

Last edited by love2garden; 03-06-2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #103  

Hi everyone! I've been busy with a family member visiting. Ds has taken her to lunch today so I have a little time to get some things done. I cleaned the family room and inside/outside patio door, but still need to vacuum. The weather is still beautiful and flowers are popping out all over, only one bush in our yard so far but I see them all over town. It is still cold at night though so we aren't planting yet. We were in the car all day yesterday showing our visitor around and all morning today and I've been having a lot of pain in my upper right abd and back on same side. It has been occurring quite a lot at home today esp when sitting. Another thing to mention to doctor I guess. At least my poor toe is better. The nail is still on and doesn't hurt very much now when touched or walking, but I can tell the nail is still slightly loose. I am getting very stiff esp being in the car so much. I've missed two days now at the gym which hasn't helped. Hope to get back to it next week.

Glynne - I really don't clean house a lot...but do try to do something every day. I keep my tasks on my Google calendar and that helps me keep on track..well, most of the time anyway. I'm very flexible and some days it gets done and other days it doesn't. I guess I need pictures on my fridge too...I say I really don't want to lose my sight or my toes but I still eat too much carb. I don't remember saying that about laying down and praying when I'm stressed and want to eat. Might have been someone else. I did used to go to my room and read my Bible until the need to eat went away. Don't do that often enough but it does work. Sometimes i had to read quite a while though. which is not a bad thing.

Stress - I honestly don't feel I have a lot of stress in my life any more. That is not to say I have no things that concern me, but I can honestly say I don't worry much any more. I may talk about it with someone and I definitely pray about everything, but I trust that God will work it out in the way that is best. When I was really young (20-early 30s) I used to worry a lot and I couldn't eat! Then later I started to eat when I was stressed. This was when I was raising teenagers and working a stressful job. I gained a lot of my weight at that time. I think sometimes I do still eat emotionally, like when I am hurt or discouraged, so maybe that is stress in a way but not so often anymore, I think it is now mostly just habit and/or gluttony. I don't worry much anymore...I may talk about a problem, but I definitely pray but now I find it easier to trust. That is a good point, Carol Sue, about how eating will not help our problems. Overeating or eating the wrong things just causes me problems.

Glynne - Can you think bout why your dh acts the way he does? If you can, maybe that will help. The last couple days my dh has been acting kinda angry and has hurt me several times by things he says (or yells). I felt like God was saying think about why he is acting this way and I realized that he was probably nervous/uncomfortable about some things he had to do. True he shouldn't blame me etc, but it was his way of getting through the situation. As I thought about this I began to tell him how well he was doing (truth) and did not react to the "mean" statements, and instead was quick to acknowledge that he was right about things (even if I wasn't really to blame) and also acknowledged I should have done some things better. Believe this is NOT the me of the past, but God is working on me.

Well company is back now....talk later. God bless...
Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #104  

Last night I went to bed early, around 9:30. I fell asleep right away with the TV on and woke up again when DH came in. Then I slept until 12:30..rolled over and went back to sleep until 4, tossed and turned until 5 then got up and made coffee and read for a while.

I have a basket of clothes to fold and put away from yesterday, but I will wait until DH gets up. I have to get him up around 8 so he can record a TV show for me. I don't know how to set it.

I don't know what I'll do the rest of the day. I just want to stay inside, but I do have to go to the bank and to the grocery store for a few things.

Last night when I went to bed my BS was 132. This morning it was 199. What did I do? Get up and eat a sandwich in my sleep? LOL I will never understand that! I just had meat and veggies at dinner. In the evening I had an egg, and about 8 olives and 2 fortune cookies. I like them for crunch. I can't believe those 2 fortune cookies could do that. I haven't had any other sweets in several months, and not many carbs either. There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to my blood sugar.

Mary, I think you handled DH well. A soft answer turneth away wrath. He has been through a lot lately, but you have been there with him all the way.

Gayle, I'm wondering how your CT scan went. Hoping for good results.

Love2garden, I will pray for your family, that their health improves, and for the unborn babies. It seems there's a lot going on for you right now.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #105  

Hi everyone! We took our visitor to the airport today then went to Costco to buy the sales (coupons). Came home, was trying to fit things in my kitchen/pantry and started reorganzing two shelves in the kitchen and the pantry. What a mess. Seems like I have to declutter and reorganize the pantry very often. I love some of the boxes Costco gives you for your purchases...some are cut down in front and make great shelf organizers. I have one large one where we keep our supplements, another for back up supplements and today I got one that I'm now using for some back up seasonings/spices. So that was one thing I had to fit and to make space for it, I had to change some other things...you know how it goes...It's a beautiful day though and that makes me feel like doing things so I enjoyed it. Dh didn't get much sleep last night so he's very tired and came home and napped. When he's tired he gets red around the eyes anymore. He probably naps too much while "watching" TV in the evenings and that may be keeping him from sleeping at night, but he looks like he needs it and he just can't stay awake sometimes. When he works in the yard he still works pretty hard so I feel he needs his rest when he's tired too. He's thinking about asking the doc for a sleeping pill so he can maybe sleep better at night. Benedryl doesn't seem to always work for him.

This morning I got up to the toilet overflowing! I tried to use the plunger a couple times but found I'm no longer strong enough to work it very well, so had to awaken dh and he got it unplugged. He said it had happened earlier this morning for him too. Don't know why as we are very careful what we put in it. That started dh thinking how I'm going to handle these things when he's gone. I told him first it might be me going first and second God will take care of me, He'll give me strength or send someone to help me). Right now our oldest son is here and even if he moves hopefully he won't be too far away.

Carole Sue - When your bs goes up like that in the am, it usually has to do with the glycogen (stored glucose) kicking in. It is possible you didn't eat enough carb and when it kicked in it over did it. This is common with diabetes II. I have never found the exact right thing for me to prevent high bs in the am though...I've tried not eating carb at night, eating just a little and it never is perfect although it will be better usually with just a little. I have to admit I usually overeat in the evenings on carbs so mine is of course related to that usually.

I'm starting to hurt sitting here so better get up and moving. You all have a good weekend!

Last edited by maryea; 03-07-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Closed Thread