Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #76  

Height: 5'3"

Just got back from the mall....first time I'd been there since Dec. Got my gel manicure followed by a hair cut. Feel better. I am not good at doing nails or hair. My hair is short, I don't use any products other than medicated shampoo (rotate 4 of them), and conditioner. Even though I have this darn scalp condition, my hair is very healthy and grows quickly. Your hair sounds like mine, Love2 as long as I keep getting haircuts. I say I'm wash and wear no fuss. Often though I let it go too long and I get really shaggy between cuts.

Haven't noticed any dizzy spells recently so think it was just a virus.

Wannabe - Hope you can find something that relieves your pain. I was very painful last night...kinda all over, shoulder/arm, legs, feet..also yesterday I bumped a toe and the nail was flipped back so the white part was at the bottom instead of the top. Looked really wierd. I gently pushed it back in place, noticed it was longer than usual so think it was ripped from the nail bed, so tried to push it down into the nail bed again. I think I will lose the nail but hopefully it is protecting the nail bed right now and a new nail will grow out and knock off the old one. It didn't hurt much at all at first but last night it was throbbing and added to my pain. I took 2 500 mg Tylenol tabs and 50 mg Benedryl. So basically a little stronger Tylenol PM. I normally only take 25 mg Benedry to help me sleep but I felt I needed more last night because I hadn't had a good sleep for a couple nights. I need sleep much better but still got up twice. No pain though and this morning my toe doesn't look too bad. No sign of infection and the nail is just slightly gray. I still think I will lose it but it did stay in place surprisingly.

Haven't gotten any housework done today.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Love2garden, my hair is so thick and coarse. If I lay on it and it gets pushed up, it stays pushed up. Try to brush it down, and BOING! right back up again. It has to be wet to get it to go down again. If I'm going to do that, I might as well wash it too. I don't use any styling products or conditioner, just a spot of hair spray. When it is a little longer it doesn't stick up as much. When it gets too long it gets all bushy.

We went out to eat and we were down by Walmart and I forgot to go in and get that elbow sleeve. I wanted to try it. Oh, well. Next time.

Mary, I hope your toe is OK. I agree that it will probably fall off eventually. Just watch out for infection. We really have to worry about our feet.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #78  

Wannabe - my hair is like that too! It looks so funny sometimes and I have to wet it down...usually just jump in the shower as it's harder to get it controlled just wetting it down and sometimes just doesn't work. Before gray and when I got it colored (when I was working), I had fine hair that curled easily and I gave up on perms because they made it frizz. After all the color was out and I accepted having gray hair (the last year I worked and knew I'd retire soon), it became much more coarse. It does not curl easily however still has lots of natural wave on sides and back but only when it grows out Since I usually keep it very short I rarely see my waves. It does not wave evenly on both sides and the longer it grows the flatter the middle gets. It grows very thick across the top of my head but is thin on one side. Funny thing, I always assumed my head was round but realized a few years ago that there is a definite slant on top in back. This seemed to explain some issues I have with the way my hair grows I think. I think I have a weird head and hair! But we have what we have, it is just easier to keep my hair short even though I'd love to have it a bit longer and see my waves in back. But then my head itches even more and I have to work with it more.

We had leftover cabbage soup for dinner. Our son is cooking Deer chili in the slow-cooker so we will probably have that tomorrow. Not sure I will like it but am willing to try. Have to get the picture of the deer being cleaned on my patio out of my mind!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #79  

Mary, my step-son is trying to introduce my 6 year old grandson to more adult food. He gave him chili for the first time and he really liked it. It was deer chili but he didn't tell him. It was a pain when we always had to find something to cook for my grandson. It's so much nicer now that he eats with the family. One morning we went and picked him up and took him to McDonald's for breakfast. He wanted eggs and sausage and I was so surprised. It was always pancakes before. All he ate was starch.

My hair waves too, Mary, but I don't like it. As soon as it starts to wave I get it cut. DH always wanted me to have long hair until he saw me with long hair. Now he tells me when it's time for a haircut. LOL

I took the Tylenol Arthritis last night and my pain wasn't as bad. Maybe it will go away and I won't need to buy that sleeve.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #80  

Good morning! I had a fairly decent sleep although I was up 3x and heard our son get up and shower. I've always been a wakeful sleeper so if I get back to sleep, I still count it as a good night. Dh got up earlier than me but went back to sleep in his recliner. He sleeps a lot in it even during the day and evening, about whenever he sits down. I don't usually nap. So we are different but we both have problems with feeling like we get enough sleep. I suspect for me more exercise might help. We will be leaving for the gym before long.

The deer chili is cooking. He started it after work last night and it cooked all evening, but he was afraid it might over cook if he cooked it all night so turned it off overnight and started it again this am. I turned it down to low for while we are gone. I tasted the meat and it was rather blah but didn't notice any wild taste. I want to add seasoning to it but will consult him if I can reach him as it is his cooking.

Have you seen this? http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-we...-you-will-live
My 80 year old dh can sit, but not stand, probably due to the rod in his leg. I suspect pre-2010 he could have done it. My 45 year old son can do it but had to try it twice to figure out how to get up. I can't even sit!!

You all have a good day and get lots of exercise...move, move, move...for me it's not so much about living longer but to be healthy...

Last edited by maryea; 02-27-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #81  

Mary I was up late and really tired when I went to bed and I took 50mg of Benadryl, so I slept well, for me. Woke up a couple times but was able to go back to sleep. I went to bed around 12:30-1AM and got up the last time around 8:30. I was drinking more water than usually yesterday, so I had to get up for the bathroom twice. I didn't take the Arthritis Tylenol, and my elbow was hurting, so I will go out today and get the sleeve. I will try it. I have wasted $10 on worse things.

DH used to eat deer meat when he still hunted, but last year his son gave us a pound of ground deer meat and he wouldn't eat it. I used it up, gradually, adding it to ground meat for meatloaf and chili and he didn't know. So now I told his son not to give it to us anymore. I like it, and it's very healthy. Lean.

I don't think I could have done that maneuver on a good day when I was 20 and thin. I was never very physically fit or well coordinated. I believe that God is going to take you when he's ready for you, but I want to be able to get around while I'm here. After my MIL had her heart surgery in her 70s they gave her a walker. She would not use it! When she was in her 80s she didn't go out much, but in her house she got around with no help, except I noticed that when she walked through her dining room she always reached out and put her hand on her dining room table and chairs as she went by. I think it just made her feel more secure, but I never mentioned to her that she was needing support. She would have thrown me out! LOL When she passed away there was this brand new walker, never used, and we brought it home. I hope I never need it, but you never know when you might need it, such as after surgery. I try to think of that any time I start to slack off on my exercise. It takes less than a hour of your day and it's so helpful.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #82  

Went to our gd's (5) basketball game today. She doesn't quite understand what to do yet but it's cute to watch her and all of the them. Some get it faster esp if they have older brothers/sisters that play. Her brother (7) is not into sports yet. I think she'll be a good athlete with a little more maturity and confidence. Right now it's just more for fun and learning a few (very few) basic rules. We had valentine candy for our gc we hadn't been able to give to them and our dd and sil had goodies for us from their trip to Hawaii.

Carole Sue - My sister has had to use a walker and even a wheelchair from time to time in recent years. She is 81. Mostly it is because of her feet, she keeps getting sores and has to stay off them as much as possible. I hate that she doesn't get much exercise. I remember her in her mid-late 60s and she was going to the gym about every day. She looked so nice then.

We don't go to the gym on the weekends but we went yesterday. I walked a mile and rode the bike on ten about 15 min. As soon as dh is ready to stay longer I want to get back to the weight machines. That's a good point you make, Carole Sue, about how exercise only takes an hour (or even less!) and is so beneficial. I say we need to do it while we still can.

Dh went to the current doctor yesterday and was scheduled for a full exam. Think it is due to the new insurance. He wants to stay with him until after the exam. Makes it harder and harder to switch doctors! I think he is a good doctor (used to like him a lot!), I think he just gets tense and then kinda gruff and short when he is too busy. I'd really like to switch but am worried about not getting anyone better too...

Ate the deer chili last night. It was ok, a little strong for me (the chili) but the deer meat did not turn me off, I just thought it was kinda tasteless. If it hadn't been for the chili part I don't think it would have had much taste at all.
I think it just needed better seasoning. Dh was able to eat it ...well sorta...he said he swallowed most of it whole...but it was cut in very small pieces and was tender. Feel so sorry for him...hope his mouth heals soon but they are giving it until April to drop in the permanent posts. I think he's beginning to wonder if he should have done it, but it's too late now, and if he'd waited it might have been even harder on him as he'd just be older. Even if he'd only had one tooth pulled (the one that was chipped/cracked in several places and couldn't hold a crown), he would have had to buy another plate and if the others broke down too..it would be another or the implants so lots of money and harder on him as he ages or he'd have to go without. So I think he made the right decision, it's just difficult to get through the healing process. Today we were at Costco and he wanted a hot dog...it was so hard for him, he ate 1/2 slowly and took the rest home hoping he can eat it tomorrow.

It's a beautiful day here today...about 57 degrees I think. Halo is on her leash fastened to the pole as her master is washing his car and motorcycle. She loves being out there with him.

Hoping you all are having a good Sat.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #83  

I bought the elbow sleeve at Walmart and wanted to give a report of the first night. I think it helped. I was not "pain free" but the pain wasn't as bad and I slept from 11PM until 6 AM this morning without waking up. At 6 I had to go to the bathroom and then couldn't fall back to sleep, but 7 hours without waking is very good for me. I think it is the compression more than the copper that is helping. It helps me keep my arm straight, as bending the elbow causes the most pain. I think I am going to wear it during the day, too, to remind myself not to bend my elbow too much. That might promote healing of whatever is causing the problem. Also, I might start putting ice on it. Now I think I might buy the ones for the hands, too. DH laughed and said I'm going to end up with these things all over my body. It's not a lot of money to invest to feel better. But the relief is just mild. I don't know if it will improve over time.

I also wanted to tell you something about DH. He is not one to give compliments. If I ask him, he will give his opinion, and he will be truthful, but he never volunteers. I told you how my new hair cut is a little shorter than I would like it. Well, we went out and he was walking behind me and he said "Your hair looks really good like that." I whipped my head around and looked at him in shock! LOL I said "That's the first time in 37 years that you ever said that!" He said "Well, it looks good. It's perfect." PERFECT? LOL It makes me wonder what he wants or maybe he's turning over a new leaf in his old age.

Mary, you're right, the deer chili might have just needed more chili spices to perk up the flavor. Or maybe the meat was cooked too long. You mentioned that he had it on high for a long time, and I think for long-time cooking I would have set it on low.

I'm sorry to hear that Joe's mouth is still sore. I think once the tenderness goes away he will be glad he did it.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-01-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #84  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol Sue WOW! What a nice thing to hear from your husband! Now, how do you like it, any better? glad the sleeve seems to help and you received restful sleep.

Mary, we've eaten lots of venison and as Carol Sue mentioned, the meat is lean. We loved it but all we have now is a bit of ground that is fine in chilli, but is dry unless we mix it with something like sausage.

I'm getting serious about trying the Beck Diet plan. Borrowed the latest book from library and learned a great deal about how to change my thinking.

First, I finally realize and admit that I must go on a diet!!! I don't seem able to do it on my own. Second, I am recognizing how many ways my thinking is so faulty - no wonder I keep regaining.

For example, I look at the heaping table spoon of peanut butter and call that a tablespoon, but if I really measured it, it is more like 2 tablespoons.

On Wednesdays when I'm away from the house all day and take food to eat (cutting down costs of eating out), I've been taking too little. Now I'll plan for lunch to take and two snacks along with lots of water. Bet it will help me pass up the junk when I stop at drug store at the end of the day.

Regarding curley hair. Mine is very fine, silver gray and straight. I can only get curls with perms, and I stopped that about 10 years ago. I wear it short, wind blown, and hope it doesn't get any thinner.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #85  

Hi everyone, it is a beautiful spring day here sunny, my phone says 53 degrees but felt warmer when I was out about an hour ago. Went to church, our son joined us and we took him out to eat at an Indian restaurant for his birthday. He likes my dh's Birkenstock sandals so we gave him a GC to get his own.

When he and Halo were out in the woods the other day, they came upon a large deer. Halo went into hunting mode (braying) as soon as she caught the scent which was before they actually saw it. They are tracking them now to prepare for hunting season saw lots of signs of deer in the area. He says there are also Elk, bear and probably cougars out there. He goes well prepared/packed in case he runs into anything or gets hurt and has to stay there a while. He says he's more concerned about men than animals though as there are bad things that often go on in there. Me, I pray for him as mothers do.

Think I'll take a nap. Hope you are having a good Sun.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #86  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

It has been kind of a dreary rainy day here today. I know the sunshine bothers the eyes of some of you ~ for me ~ I like it better when it is sunny ~ makes me feel more like doing things.

It was a late night on Friday night ~ our son came over for budget help. He couldn't get here until 9 pm and it was 1 am when he left. We ran errands then on Saturday.

I did a few more errands this morning, but haven't accomplished much with the rest of my day. I have been extra stiff and achy the last several days it seems.

I looked up to see what classes they have at the “Y”. We have a membership but haven't used it as much as we should/thought we would. There is a swimming group that I think I would like, but it starts at 7 am, and I hate to “have” to get up for anything unless I absolutely have to ~ now that I am retired. There is a senior exercise class at like 10:30 which is a better time. I am sort of scared to try it ~ I am soooooo out of shape ~ I wonder if I could even do it.

Mary ~ it sounds like you had a nice day today. And a nice weather day. I hope you son stays all right too ~ sounds dangerous out in the woods. Hope Joe's mouth gets to feeling better soon.

Love2garden ~ I'm glad you found a plan that will work for you. I have to get back on track ~ AGAIN. I did pretty good for a couple weeks, then there was something stressful and I fell back into old habits. I don't know why when I slip, it takes me so long to get straightened out again.

Carol Sue ~ glad the sleeve thing helped your arm feel better. Wow ~ that is great that your husband gave you a compliment about your hair.

Lynn ~ hope your tooth ache is better and that you were able to make your trip to your daughter's place and enjoy time with her.

I have been listening to music on movies today ~ seems to brighten up a dreary day. Mama Mia! Then The Music Man, now Saving Mr. Banks (some of the music from the movie Mary Poppins).

Hope you all have had a nice weekend.

Last edited by glynne; 03-01-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #87  

Love2garden, I like my hair cut, it's just a lot shorter than I've been wearing it. If you look at the picture on my profile, that was when my hair was really long, for me. I've been wearing it a little shorter than that, but this time my whole ear is showing. That's a little uncomfortable when it only 8 degrees outside!

I have the Beck Diet Solution book. I think I have read every diet book going, but I have a hard time following them for very long. My main problem is portion control. Also, I think that I can eat as much as I want if I'm eating healthy food, which is the wrong way to think. Right now I am working on only eating my meals. No snacks. I lost 4 lbs this week, but they are the 4 lbs I GAINED last week! LOL

Mary, I have always wanted to try Indian food but DH would never eat it. He wouldn't even try it. It took me 25 years to get him to go to the Chinese buffet, and then he only went twice. He is not an adventurous eater, and I am. I love to try different foods. Maybe that's why he's thin and I'm not!

My step-son has a hunting dog but it's a Brittany Spaniel and it hunts birds. DH used to hunt and fish a lot when he was younger, but I talked him out of deer hunting after he had his heart attack. Out in the woods your chances are slim to get to a hospital. His son hunts everything, deer, rabbit, pheasant, grouse. And they eat what he hunts.

I got out my bread machine today and I want to make some rye bread. I was looking for rye flour in the store. One store only had a really big bag but I saw smaller bags in another store so I will go there when I'm ready to do it. I have to read through the instruction book to make sure I know what I'm doing. It's been years since I did this. One thing I didn't understand, the recipe on the bag of flour said you had to buy gluten, but the recipe with my bread machine didn't say that.

It warmed up a bit today into the low 30s and snowed most of the day, but not a big accumulation. Couple inches. Then it turned to rain. We went out to the store around 5 PM and when we came home the roads were starting to freeze over. It is supposed to get into the 40s later in the week. I'm thinking that our winter is coming to an end.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-01-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #88  

Gayle, we were posting at the same time. I say go for that senior class! It sounds good, and you can always modify and do it at your own pace until you get used to it. Don't do too much the first time or you will get sore and not want to go back.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #89  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol Sue I recognized my problems when I read your "My main problem is portion control. Also, I think that I can eat as much as I want if I'm eating healthy food, which is the wrong way to thin."

With Beck, I have to admit I actually NEED to diet and to measure. At least this time I'm willing to do so.

Gayle, some senior friends love the exercise classes at the Y and wouldn't miss for any reason. One weighs about 110 pounds and is short and energetic. I'll never even be close.

Hoping to get out of the 200's before this year is up. so far, simply bouncing around the same 4 to 5 pounds.

March will be different! The longer days help me feel upbeat, and soon it will be warm enough (over 45deg) so I can walk outside in our safe neighborhood.

Mary Are you still feeling dizzy?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #90  

Hello everyone! I didn't sleep well last night so didn't go to the gym...planned to do my walking video but you know how good intentions go, it has not yet been done. I have been doing the 1st of month budgeting. Also I have been getting behind in entering my transactions so had to kind of catch up on what should have already been done, plus make up the cash withdrawal slip for dh.
Then started my weekly housework which I have also been way behind on. I cleaned both bathrooms and our bedroom. Hopefully will get more done tonight since this is pantry night and I'm not cooking, but am pretty sure the whole house is not getting done. In the middle of all this we decided to go to Costco, and dh made another stop too. We had our rebate check from AMEX to cash, but of course, ended up buying a few items as well and I picked up some pizza for lunch, ate it in the car on the way home.

Our son ended up getting Keen shoes instead of Birkenstocks...and ended up paying a little more and getting two pairs. The second pair he can wear to work and probably even the first pair because although it is open on the sides it is a closed toe. He seemed happy with his purchases and that is the main thing.

Glynne - Yes if one had a heart attack or stroke suddenly it would not be good out there in the woods, as who knows when you would be found. He works on that mountain too so hopefully someone might see his car and stop to look for him. And of course if he didn't come home, and we didn't hear from him, we'd go looking ourselves. There is no cell service there. But he has enough with him for a few days I think. He loves being out in the woods...did even as a child ...of course the "woods" were just a smaller area with lots of trees then in our neighborhood. He actually prefers to take Halo with him than another person because until she gets the scent she is quieter. Since her scare when she got lost, she doesn't stray from his side very much. He can tell sometimes she wants to go her own way, but she sorta cringes and stays with him. She's a natural hunter so it is not easy for her to stay to the path when she catches the scent. Glynne - go for the senior class...there will people that are in as bad or even worse shape than you if it's like most classes. I used to really enjoy my sr class. You can go at your own pace...if someone next to you moves faster or takes bigger steps (as in aerobics), you can just step to one side or back so they can go ahead. It's all good. I was in better shape when I was in my sr circuit training class. We did aerobics, stretching, yoga type holding positions for short times (shorter because it was for seniors), stretch bands, and light weights. It can strengthen your core so you are less likely to fall.

On haircuts - I would like to wear my hair a little longer, at least I wish they wouldn't cut it so close on the sides....next time I'm going to tell them that. I do have to have it cut around my ears as it makes my ears itch and I can't wear it to long for the same reason...it makes my scalp itch. The dermatologists don't agree with this but I am the one that is scratching. I got it cut recently (very short) and my scalp and ears feel so much much better right now! I can imagine Carole Sue that your ears are cold in that weather! Hopefully spring will be there soon.

That would be hard to like to try different foods and your dh doesn't. My brother was like that...although he did try some Chinese food in later years. My sil liked to try different things. She liked to travel and he didn't..that was another thing, so she just didn't get to travel much. They did come out here a couple times to visit their dd when she lived out this way and stopped to see us too. My brother had to travel a little for several years for his work but he didn't seem to like it.

Carol Sue - I think vital gluten makes the bread rise better and I think also healthier. It apparently has been removed from most flour today, even most whole wheat flour from what I have read. Of course some people's bodies cannot handle gluten so that's another story and seemingly a large industry today from all the marketing of products I see. I bought some to use for my low-carb bread and hope to use it it somehow even though I took back my bread machine.

You are like me...up and down in weight..so basically I am stable. At least I'm not gaining other than within range of a few pounds. I don't think I am eating quite as much in the evening and that is probably why I am at least stable. I am trying to listen to my fullness, and meals are no problem, but it is still the eve that continues to plague me. I ask myself why do I seem to think that it doesn't matter after dinner....like after dinner, there is no such thing has calories and carbs Continue to work on it. I too have bought most of the diet books out there...waste of money...I should have just eaten the books Then I might have lost weight. I want to be slender again, remember how good it felt and how I looked so much better in clothes, but I guess it's not enough to make me work at it. Since I gained 10# with the new med, I just can't seem to get myself to work at it very hard. I exercise because I feel better when I do it consistently and I don't want to lose the ability to move, but food is my problem.

Good2 - No more dizziness. I'm glad you've found a diet plan that is helping you. Perhaps you will even inspire me to do better.
Closed Thread