Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

Well, this old lady wants to join CADE as well! My weight has crept back up, while my well-being, over-all health and energy have plummeted. My work place has already announced a Fitness Challenge will begin when we start back after the holidays, so I will definitely have encouragement from all sides!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Welcome Lizzy! Looks like we're going to have a great group going into the New Year!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Today I am going to try to do a water and vegetable day to clear my system of all the rich foods I've eaten over Christmas. I might not make it all day because DH is going to expect dinner. I have nothing planned. He doesn't like to eat alone. If we go out, at least I can get a grilled-chicken salad...one of my favorites.

I had surgery in 2012 and had a visiting home nurse for a while afterwards. She was always stressing to me to include some protein at every meal, and I've always remembered that and try to comply. It doesn't have to be a lot, just a few ounces.

Is anyone here following any particular diet plan, or just cutting back? I try to eat low carb because of my diabetes, but not extreme low carb. I also try to keep my eating to an 8 hour window. I have not been doing well at following either of these lately.

Corinna, I don't think hula hooping is my thing. I wasn't even good at it as a kid. I have a mini-gym in my game room which includes a treadmill and an eliptical. I use them while I'm watching my soaps in the afternoon and it makes the time go by faster. I want to look like the woman in my avatar. LOL I do have that same outfit, but it's much bigger than hers.

Lizzy, they used to have Fitness Challenges where I worked, too, before I retired. Some of them includes weight loss and some were just tracking steps with a pedometer. It helps keep you in line.

Diana, they also had a lot of potlucks where I worked. Maybe you can bring a dish that fits into your eating plan, and there might be some other things you can eat, too. Sometimes it's best not to eliminate any food completely, but just eat a small portion of things you like. I have to be careful of trigger foods.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 154/145/130

Height: 5'-6" roughly

Hey guys - found ya

Got on the scale this morning

CADE - that's very clever Corinna - and yup, I meant artichokes.

to all the new CADERs.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #20  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

OK Lizzy:
Welcome to the thread!!!! Sounds like you are all prepped to start the New Year to find the new you! I hope we can help you stay on track.

Wanna Be Healthy-Carol Sue:
--Just wondering why it is a struggle to eat with your husband? Is it because the food temptations are too much? If so, maybe you could eat the majority of your meal first before you sit down with him, and then finish the rest while he is eating his dinner. For instance, fill up on salad first, and then go sit down with him for dinner and have a small bowl of soup. Of course you will need the will power to not eat anything extra that he is eating. This is probably easier said than done.
--My diet is mainly fruits, vegetables, with small amounts of dairy/eggs.
--I am an emotional overeater. If I can keep my emotions in check, then that is half of the battle for me. I have pounds to lose because of it.
--I like your 8 hour window idea. Another one of my goals is not to eat after 6:30 PM. I tend to snack in the evening when I really shouldn't be. If I can keep busy doing other things then I will be okay.
--I like your Avatar. I think it would be a friendly daily reminder of what you are trying to achieve and help you keep focused. Nice!

Crimzon-Lizzie:
Welcome back! Glad you found us. I was laughing when I read your morning scale comment. You are definitely not alone on that one.

Last edited by Corinna T; 12-27-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #21  
Focus & Determination

Default Commitment Issues? Help Weight-Loss Resolutions Stick

Going with the flow can be healthy in many circumstances, but it's not always the best bet when it comes to a weight-loss routine. To see the results you want on the scale and in your clothes, committing to a healthy diet and exercise plan is a must. And with these tips in mind, it's not as hard as you think.
  • Pencil it in: Keeping a food journal is a helpful technique to achieve your healthy goals. One study found that the women who were the most successful at losing weight monitored their food intake by keeping a journal. In addition, whether you have to jot it down in a calendar, send a series of email reminders, or pay for classes ahead of time, schedule workouts in advance.
  • Stay positive: Beating yourself up does more harm than good when it comes to weight loss, and anxiety and negativity aren't helping you achieve your goals at all. Focus on keeping a positive attitude and celebrating healthy accomplishments — even when it's tough.
  • Make time for indulgences: Curbing cravings with an iron fist won't help you maintain a healthy diet in the long run. Enjoying the occasional cupcake or slice of pizza isn't going to ruin your weight-loss goals. A study found that it isn't necessary to increase workout intensity the day after a piece of cake and that a daily variance of as much as 600 calories won't reflect on your waistline.
Keep reading for three more ways to make your resolutions stick this year.
  • Find a friend: Having a loved one on a similarly healthy track makes the process less painful. There are plenty of ways to eat healthy when your partner does not, but making conscious choices together is a huge help when it comes to temptation in the kitchen. Similarly, planning workout dates with a friend will help you stick to your plan — and you'll be less likely to bail on someone you love.
  • No more excuses: The stories you tell yourself to steer clear of your goals are doing your resolution an injustice. Remember that every day counts, and do your best to banish thoughts that keep you from exercising.
  • Reward yourself: Treating yourself is necessary, and it's important to think beyond food! A show you've recorded on your DVR or a chapter in your book is always better when you've had a productive day, but consider putting a dollar in a jar after every workout. Once you've been committed for a month or two, you'll have a nice chunk of change to buy yourself something you've been coveting!
(http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Tips...-Plan-26707844)
Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #22  

I know that most here have decided to delay their weigh-in until the new year, since I am a bit of a newbie here I want to start now. So I will be the first one.

12/27/14 201 lbs This is my starting weight for this journey.

Anyone who has posted with me before knows that I talk big, but have never been very successful. Goal? Although all I want is to weigh less than I do today, I would like to be at 180 by Easter. I can do this. It will mean being diligent every single day without wavering, but I can do this.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #23  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning from the Northwest

Corinna, for better or worse, I bought an adult hula hoop(thinking that practice, practice, practice will hopefully make it doable for me). The videos on tubing are so inspiring and fun. I must confess, I'll often add turkey to my veg. soups. So I guess I do get enough protein. I like the idea of yellow peas or lentils, my question is, are they gas producing like beans? I am miserable with beans, just can't handle them well. Also will be with you on the no P.M snacking. This is one of my worst habits that leads to extra pounds quickly.

Carol Sue, I really am thinking of bringing a salad, cause like you said there tends to be trigger foods and if I eat just one the game is over.

Lizzie, lol, I can unforutnately relate to the scale reading. This will be a nice group to work on that situation in 2015.

I need help with rewards. I have 20 pounds to loss, so should I have three? I'm thinking clothes should probably in the last reward, but am open to other ideas.

Hugs to All.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #24  
Focus & Determination

Carol Sue - I love your enthusiasm!! Your goal sounds realistic, so I believe you can do this. You must tell yourself you will do this-commitment! You might call it "talk big", but we all know how it works. It is a way to keep yourself motivated. Day 1 one for you and your headed in the right direction.

Diana:

--yeah!! I have another hula-hooper to keep me motivated now. I will let you know how many rotations I can do without losing it by next weekend. Right now I said I can do 5. So you have to try to beat that.
--Sorry Peas can build gas too.
--Reward. Just simple small things. Spending some time with a friend. Planting a flower or herbs in a pot for your kitchen. A few minutes of alone time. You just need to find something that works for you.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #25  
Focus & Determination

Default How to Keep a Positive Attitude About Weight Loss

Most people think that if they can just get their eating and exercise habits in line, they’ll lose weight effortlessly and keep it off for good. What they often fail to realize is that their mental attitude plays a HUGE role in determining their physical actions day to day. Consider for a moment what your mental attitude is usually like, especially as it pertains to the state of your body. Do you avoid taking the actions that you know would be good for you? Do you “beat yourself up” for eating poorly? Do you try to force yourself to eat right and exercise?

Developing a positive attitude about weight loss can make the process much easier! Rather than fighting an inner battle with yourself (“Have to do this; don’t want to do this; this sucks; I hate exercise . . .”), you can develop the willingness – or even the enthusiasm – to stick to your weight loss plan and make the process virtually effortless.
Here are 6 good ways to start:

1) Get clear about WHY you want it. Why do you want to lose weight? What will you gain by being slim and healthy? When you think about yourself finally being healthy and thin, which parts of that vision are most thrilling to you? Write these reasons down and keep them close so you can keep reading them daily.

2) Make lifestyle changes. Don’t say you’re “on a diet” – say that you’re making “healthy lifestyle changes,” or “getting healthy”. These phrases are more positive and affirming rather than the “D” word, which brings to mind restriction and deprivation.

3) Build yourself up. Never, ever, EVER talk down to yourself or about yourself. Don’t berate yourself if you eat something you shouldn’t, and don’t engage in defeatist thinking like, “I don’t know why I bother, I’ll never lose this weight.” Be your own cheerleader and build yourself up at every possible opportunity. “I can do this. This is easy. I feel good about the changes I’m making. Good for me for caring about my health. I deserve to be healthy.” Self-talk like this is much more motivating than trying to whip yourself into shape by sheer force of will.

4) See yourself thin and happy. Spend a few minutes each day tuning into a mental vision of yourself being slender, healthy, and happy. Don’t just “see” this mentally, but try to bring the feeling of it into your body right now. What would your body FEEL like if you were slim, fit, and healthy? Keep focusing on that feeling as often as you can; at least once per day. This will make the achievement of your goal seem much more realistic and possible.

5) Love your body. Spend time each day focusing on the things you already like about your body. Do you love your hands, hair, eyes, feet, legs? Pick one thing that you honestly love about your body, and focus on it. List the reasons why you love it, and simply feel appreciation for it. Doing this daily sets you up to keep noticing more and more things you appreciate about your body, rather than constantly nitpicking and complaining about the parts of your body you aren’t happy with.

6) You have plenty of time. Trying to “hurry up and lose weight” is one of the worst things you can do, because you’re constantly calling attention to the fact that things are moving slower than you’d like them to. All this does is make you feel frustrated, and you’ll be much more likely to give up because you aren’t getting the results you want. Instead, make time your friend. Keep affirming that you have plenty of time. Remind yourself that time is going to pass no matter what you do, so you may as well spend it taking good care of yourself and working toward your goal. This patient attitude relieves pressure and allows you to focus more on the results you ARE achieving, rather than obsessing about the results you haven’t yet achieved.

(https://www.fitwatch.com/blog/how-to-keep-a-positive-attitude-about-weight-loss)

Last edited by Corinna T; 12-28-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #26  

Corinna, I love your little pointers you post. Most of them are just common sense or I've heard them before, but by reading them over and over they become part of your lifestyle.

I don't consider myself as being on a diet. I try to consider the nutritional value of everything I eat.

Many times DH does not eat breakfast or lunch then he's starving at dinner. I don't skip meals, so sometimes I'm not hungry at dinner time, but he wants me to eat with him. I need to learn to eat a few bites, and maybe I could do all the talking! LOL

I love lentils, beans etc. If you start out with very small quantities and increase gradually your body gets used to them and handles them better. Nothing's perfect though!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 12-29-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #27  
TriAthlete

S/C/G: 192/189/169

Height: 5'10"

Smile diving in today...literally!

I'm so happy to have found this thread...it is the perfect topic and forum for me. Love the focus on living healthy, wholesome and happy. I am signed up for my next triathlon in June and want to be fit, strong, healthy and 30 pounds lighter by then. I can't wait to lose this holiday sugar hangover feeling. Heading to the pool for a nice long swim later this afternoon and love that post-swim afterglow!
Thanks for starting this topicand I look forward to following!
Shari.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #28  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Shari --

Corinna I enjoyed your positive weight loss post. Number 4 seems to be crutial to me, like if I can see it, it will happen. I should get my hula hoop by mid January(but am hoping it comes sooner). The design I ordered is called the Cats Meow, tee, hee. All good fun.

Have a great Day everyone!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 226/215/160

Motivation for me is my health. Because I am very nearly classified as diabetic, my doc wants me to lose 10% by April. I'm at 221 today.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #30  
Focus & Determination

Carol Sue - Is your husband dieting too? Just wondering. It helps when other family members support you on your lifestyle efforts.

Shari-Welcome. Wow, that is impressive that you have done a triathlon. How many have you accomplished?

Diana-even the name of your hula hoop sounds inspiring. I hope you get it soon! Yesterday I got up to 25.

Jessy-You have a very big motivator then to get yourself moving in the right direction. I hope we can help you along that path.
Closed Thread