Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:02 AM   #556  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Where did my long post go That really bites I'll b back tomorrow on a different tablet, I guess after 3 yrs this battery is getting bad.

I ate badly all day from going to the Dog Bowl, it was wonderful & I told u all about it in my long post, Google: Frankenmuth, MI Dog Bowl 2015... I'm posting this right now before it disappears also

B... protein bar.
L... cheeseburger.
S... hot fudge sundae.

Today I reboot my healthy eating, at home
Old 05-24-2015, 06:01 AM   #557  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal
S - banana
L - chicken soup
D - fritatta and veggies

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #558  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Terapet-I hope you get well soon!

Activities for well being? What works for me is spending time outdoors in natural settings, and spending quality time with family, friends, and pets.

Dee-that must be so frustrating to lose you long post. I have started typing mine into a notepad first, so I don't lose mine. Glad to hear your rebooting your eating efforts.

Renee-you are doing wonderful with your meals.

B-seeded roll, hummus
L-Veggie Dim Sims, spring rolls
D-hummus chips, veggie patty
S-almond & apricot yogurt bar
Old 05-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #559  
Focus & Determination

Smile 7 Effective Ways to Boost Your Endurance and Stamina

Our endurance expert weighs in on the major mistakes you’re definitely making…and how to fix them.

“When people think of endurance and stamina, all they tend to focus on are cardio activities like running or cycling,” says Will Torres, a New York-based personal trainer and founder of the personal training studio, Willspace. “But that’s only a small part of the equation—you also need to improve your strength.” For example, Torres explains that by building your leg muscles, you’ll be able to propel yourself further in every step you take while running. “The added muscle also helps absorb the impact that would otherwise put stress on your joints,” he says. So here, Torres gives you seven sneak tactics (ones you’re probably not trying) to boost your endurance and stamina.

1. Combine strength days with cardio days.

It’s a simple equation: the more muscle you can get working, the more it will challenge your heart and your cardiovascular system. Instead of building cardio-only workouts (the pitfall that’ll prevent you from building endurance) make sure to weave strength days into your training. “Most people reserve one day for strength and another day for cardio. Try combining the two instead,” says Torres. “Use a bench press, immediately followed by pull-ups, then run a mile as fast as you can… and repeat.” Another good example: Jump rope for a minute, followed by squats, an overhead press, and finally sit ups. Repeat.

2. Reduce your amount of rest.

Men typically give themselves between 30 and 90 seconds of recovery time in between sets, but if your goal is greater endurance, be prepared to sacrifice break time. “By the end of your sets, your muscles should be burning—you should be breathing heavily and sweating,” says Torres. “Only take a break if you physically can not continue.” Torres suggests selecting a series of movements like 10 pull-ups, 10 squats, 10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups. Do three rounds of the series back to back, taking as minimal a break as possible.

3. Do fast-paced, high-intensity lifting.

“When you use weights at an extremely rapid pace, it will not only improve your strength, but also carry over to improve your endurance activity,” says Torres. “It’s one of the best ways to ignite your metabolism. When people do an excessive amount of endurance-only training, they actually slow down their metabolism because it starts to eat away at your muscle tissue.”

4. Choose compound movements over isolation.

Compound moves that require using more than one joint—like squats, step-ups, push-ups and pull-ups—will improve your endurance more so than exercises in isolation. “Isolated exercises like bicep curls and leg lifts aren’t going to stimulate you enough to increase your stamina,” he says.

5. Remember: Routine is the enemy.

Switching up your workout is essential to building endurance and stamina. According to Torres, the human body gets used to a workout after two weeks. So if you’re always running, start doing Muay Thai instead. Or if you’re an avid cyclist, change it up by running stairs. “You need to move the muscles in a different way so that you don’t develop overuse. Plus, it becomes more motivating,” he says. “It’s important to keep the mind guessing.”

6. Go for hybrid exercises.

A squat with an added overhead press (a “thruster”), jumping pull-ups, and lunges with bicep curls are all great hybrids: exercises that take two separate movements and combine them. “The more muscles you can get working in a movement, the more it will stimulate your heart muscles, which in turn improves your stamina.”

7. Add explosive movements to your workout.

Explosive movements that take a lot of energy challenge your strength, endurance and stamina simultaneously. Once you become more explosive, you’ll notice that you’ll actually start moving faster. Torres says: try adding things like burpees, box jumps, jumping knee tucks and power push-ups to your workout routine.
by Lindsay Silberman

Source: http://www.vegfriend.com/profiles/blogs/7-effective-ways-to-boost-your-endurance-and-stamina
Old 05-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #560  

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal
L - ham sandwich and hardboiled egg
S - banana
D - beef stew
Old 05-26-2015, 03:39 AM   #561  
Sandee

I've had a earache w sinus pain the last 2 days, stupid weather nothing that I've tried is working & I hurt so bad I can't sleep either. I'm phoning my chiropractor this morning for relief.

I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend & that u have a Great week
Old 05-26-2015, 05:41 AM   #562  
Focus & Determination

Dee-Sorry to hear you don't feel good. I hope you get better soon!!!

Last edited by Corinna T; 05-26-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:02 AM   #563  

Dee- have you ever tried a neti pot for sinus pain? I love mine. Make sure you use distilled water or boiled water.

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal
S - banana
L - ham & cheese sandwich
D - hamburger, potato salad, watermelon
Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #564  
Focus & Determination

Smile Words of Wisdom

Never Blame Anyone

Be Happy For No Reason

See attachments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NeverBlameAnyone.jpg (45.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg BeHappyForNoReason.jpg (35.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-27-2015, 04:59 AM   #565  
Focus & Determination

Smile 7 Small But Powerful Diet Habits That Add Up to Major Weight-Loss Success

These small and easy changes will help you eat healthier.

When it comes to weight loss, it’s the little things that can really add up to make a big difference. Think "diet" and you might assume it requires a radical revamp of your life or misery-inducing restrictions. But when it comes to lasting weight loss, research shows you’re better off making small, consistent changes rather than aiming for a major diet or lifestyle overhaul. The key is that the changes are practical and sustainable so that you can permanently adopt them into your everyday life. In one study, people who made tiny adjustments to their eating habits were able to stick to their new routines—and had more success slimming down compared to those who didn’t incorporate the tips. To help shed pounds, without making any huge changes, follow these 7 easy habits for weight-loss success.
—Lisa D’Agrosa, M.S., R.D.

1. Eat Breakfast Every Day

Research shows dieters are more successful at losing weight—and keeping it off—when they eat breakfast. If you don’t already eat breakfast, start. If you are already a breakfast eater, try eating the same breakfast multiple days each week. Repeating the same meals can help you shed pounds, according to research. One of my morning favorites: a whole-wheat English muffin topped with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and ½ sliced banana. This meal delivers a modest 278 calories, along with filling fiber and protein. It’s also portable and ready in less than 5 minutes, so forget about using any "I don’t have time for breakfast" excuses.

2. Downsize Your Dish

Studies show that we eat less when we use smaller dinnerware. The theory is that our eyes get tricked into thinking we are eating more because our plate is full, making the food portions look bigger. The result: we are satisfied with less food. Try eating your meals on salad plates instead of larger dinner plates.

3. Trade Up Your Fork

It sounds counterintuitive, but research shows using a bigger fork and subsequently taking bigger bites can actually lead to eating less (apparently seeing yourself making a larger dent in the food on your plate can cue you to stop eating sooner). You’ll increase the benefit by holding the fork with your nondominant hand to slow you down. Eating slower helps you consume fewer calories without you even realizing it.

4. Drink Lots of Water

You’ve probably heard it before but this is one diet-friendly adage that’s tried and true, so start hydrating. Drinking 2 cups of water before eating a meal can help you lose weight. The water helps you feel full sooner, so you eat less and in turn weigh less.

5. Display Produce Proudly

You know the phrase "out of sight, out of mind"? Not what you want when it comes to eating more fruits and vegetables. Produce delivers lots of nutrients but not a lot of calories. Plus, it’s packed with fiber, which helps fill you up. Don’t shove your beautiful apples to the back of the produce drawer, or bury your carrots under your other groceries. Instead, bring the fruits and vegetables front and center in your refrigerator and out in your kitchen. Try keeping fruit like bananas and oranges on the counter in a fruit bowl where they’ll be in plain sight. You’ll also be more likely to reach for diet-friendly fruits and veggies if they’re ready for easy snacking. In fact, when Google moved their fruit bowl to the front of the cafeteria, employees’ fruit consumption increased by two thirds in just one month. Wash and slice celery, peppers and other delicious produce, and then pack them in baggies so you can easily grab them for a quick—and healthy—treat.

6. Snack on Yogurt

Yogurt was recently identified as a top weight-loss-promoting food by Harvard University. It’s high in protein, which, gram for gram, helps fill you up more than carbs. Stick to plain, low-fat or nonfat yogurt for a healthy snack, without extra sugar or saturated fat. Another diet bonus? The probiotics in yogurt may help you burn fat. In one study, researchers gave overweight, but otherwise healthy, adults about 1/2 cup of yogurt at dinner every night for six weeks. Some ate yogurt supplemented with an added dose of probiotics (either Lactobacillus fermentum or L. amylovorus), while others got regular yogurt (which has a lower probiotic content ). Though none of the subjects lost weight, those consuming the probiotic-enriched yogurt lost 3 to 4 percent of their body fat, compared to just 1 percent body fat lost in the other group. To ensure your yogurt delivers a decent amount of probiotics, look for one that carries the "Live & Active Cultures" seal.

7. Enjoy a Small Treat

Don’t banish all your favorite foods. Doing so may lead to failure. A drastically limited diet is not sustainable, and feeling deprived may eventually cause you to overeat. Savoring a small treat daily really won’t sabotage your weight-loss efforts, according to research. Keep the treats small—aim for about 150 calories or less. Try savoring two squares of dark chocolate, a ½ cup of ice cream or one 5-oz. glass of wine. This is one habit most of us can stick with for the long haul.

Source: http://www.eatingwell.com/
Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 AM   #566  

Corinna - love your post today

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal
L - hamburger and banana
S - cereal
D - shrimp primavera
Old 05-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #567  
Sandee

Let's start a question of the day w 3 answers, we could help make life nicer for each other by sharing.

I'll start it out.

What r your 3 favorite kitchen gadgets/small appliances that u use daily or weekly?

1. Slow cooker/crock pot; I have 4.
2. Convection oven; keeps our home cool in the summer by not using my big oven & keeps our electric bill low year round.
3. Nutri-Ninja for my morning green smoothie; to b sure I don't forget to eat a daily fruit & green veggie.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #568  

My 3 would be:

1. slow cooker/crockpot
2. charcoal grill
3. immersion blender

I love to cook!
Old 05-28-2015, 05:50 AM   #569  
Focus & Determination

Nice idea Dee.

My favorite 3 kitchen gadgets:
1. Pressure cooker for veggie soups.
2. Electric grill for vegetable fajitas
3. Garlic Press. A good one is worth the money and makes it so easy.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #570  

Hi ladies . Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal
S - banana
L - hamburger
D - pizza casserole and veggies
Closed Thread