Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 04:32 AM   #256  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Smile Vegetable Quiche

I haven't made this recipe yet, but it sure does look good.

Corrina T

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

This recipe brought to you by Gimme Some Oven
http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/dairy-free-vegetable-quiche-with-eggs/

Dairy-Free Vegetable Quiche (with eggs)

Yield: 8-12 servings

You will love this delicious Dairy-Free Vegetable Quiche (With Eggs) recipe! It's the perfect for breakfast, or any time of the day!
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 1 hour Total: 1 hour 10 mins

Quiche Ingredients:
1 recipe pie crust (you can use the dairy-free recipe below, or a store-bought crust, or go "crustless")
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 handfuls fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped if desired
1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
5-10 asparagus spears, ends trimmed then chopped into 1-inch pieces
6 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. chipotle powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Dairy-Free Pie Crust Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegan butter or shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
3-4 Tbsp. ice water

Directions:

To Make The Quiche:
  • Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Place a prepared unbaked pie crust (see recipe below) in an un-greased pie plate. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the bottom of the crust, and "blind" bake it for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
  • Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, chopped red peppers, and asparagus, and saute for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the asparagus is cooked. Remove from heat.
  • In a separate large bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder, rice or almond milk, salt, paprika, thyme, chipotle powder, and black pepper. Stir in the sauteed vegetables and fresh spinach, and stir until well combined.
  • Pour the egg and vegetable mixture into the partially-baked pie crust, and use a spoon to even out the top. Place in oven and cook for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Quiche will rise while baking, but should settle back down once you remove it from the oven. Remove from the oven and allow the quiche to set for at least 5 minutes. Then slice and serve immediately.
To Make The Dairy-Free Pie Crust:
  • Combine salt and flour in a bowl.
  • Cut shortening into the salt and flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until it is well-combined.
  • Add water, then stir with spoon until mixture clings together in a ball. Dough may be slightly moist. If dough is too dry or moist add additional water or flour as needed. Don’t over mix. You should see thin swirls of shortening throughout the dough.
  • Lightly dust your rolling surface with flour, and roll the dough out as desired.
  • To transfer the crust from the rolling surface to the pie pan, fold the crust in half twice. Lift and unfold crust over pie pan.
Adapted from Milk Allergy Companion.
Difficulty: Easy Ingredients: asparagus, baking powder, chipotle powder, eggs, flour, ice, onion, pie crust, red bell pepper, spinach, sweet paprika, thyme, unsweetened almond milk, vegan butter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VegetableQuichePic.jpg (39.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 AM   #257  
Focus & Determination

Smile Don't Give Up

See attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Don'tGiveUp.jpg (36.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #258  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Height: 5'6"

Corinna Photo is So cute, just what I needed tonight. Concentrating on painting & not consistant at anything else, ugh. Will try to drink more water plus gonna set my alarm to wake up in the morning. Maybe if wake up time is regular, exercise will follow?

The week is going fast, enjoying my time in the studio

Hi to All.

Last edited by workinglikeadog; 02-25-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:00 AM   #259  
Focus & Determination

Relax Diana.... and enjoy it.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:02 AM   #260  
Focus & Determination

Smile Difficult Roads

See attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DifficultRoads.jpg (62.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #261  
TriAthlete

S/C/G: 192/189/169

Height: 5'10"

Default Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Well, the weather outside is definitely frightful and spring does not look to be anywhere in the near future. I usually love being outside in any weather, but it's been so cold here that I can't even get out for a walk. I think my body feels like its hibernating. Over the last 3 weeks, I inched back up the 4 pounds I lost. I abandoned my low-carb plan when I couldn't shake the sinus cold I had that zapped my energy.

So, girls, I find myself adrift and in need of a plan to get committed to. That's my goal today...to figure it out and start making some adjustments.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:09 AM   #262  
Focus & Determination

Shari, I don't think you will be alone. I noticed my scale numbers creeping back up again this week. Hopefully it won't have gone up to much for my weigh-in tomorrow. I need to get myself headed in the right direction again.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #263  
Focus & Determination

Smile 7 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism — And Burn Fat Fast

Published by FitWatch
https://www.fitwatch.com/blog/7-ways-to-boost-your-metabolism-and-burn-fat-fast

Whether you’re trying to lose weight or just wanting to maintain your sleek physique,
boosting your metabolism to a higher rate is always a good idea. There are several ways
to give your metabolism an extra push—including exercising early in the day—
but eating can also be a factor in its elevation.

Increasing your metabolism means your body burns calories at a higher rate.
So if your metabolism is high, it’s burning calories even when you aren’t working
hard at the gym. A sluggish metabolism can cause you to gain weight, because
you’re consuming more than your body is burning.

Here are 7 ways to boost your metabolism, so you can burn fat fast:
  • The first thing you need to do is add breakfast to your daily meal planner.
Although many people don’t like eating breakfast, it gives your body the rev up
it needs to launch your metabolism. A 250-calorie snack is all it takes to boost
your metabolism in the morning.
  • Another way to increase your metabolism is to add spices to your food.
According to the U.S. Agricultural Research Service, Cinnamon is one spice that
increases your metabolism twentyfold—and all you have to ingest is a mere 1/4 to 1 tsp per day!
  • While you’re planning your meals, you may want to add kiwi fruit to your diet.
Kiwis pack a lot of vitamin C, but if you add 500 mg of it to your day, you burn up to
39% more fat when you’re exercising. Don’t get too much C, though, because once you
get to the 2,000 mg mark, you start experiencing adverse effects like bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
  • Another metabolism boosting measure is to watch what you drink.
Adding ice to a drink makes your body work harder because it has to heat it up in your stomach,
which increases your metabolism. Also, ingesting a caffeine drink like coffee or tea can raise
your heart rate and increase your metabolism.
  • Where you’re eating can be just as important as what you’re eating.
When you’re having breakfast in the morning, try positioning yourself near a window
so that you can soak up some sun. The bright light boosts your metabolism and
also helps you increase bone and muscle strength.
  • Make sure you’re getting enough chromium in your diet to help your body burn more calories.
Chromium, which is found in tomatoes and in a supplement form, also boosts the way you burn fat. According to MedlinePlus, meat, eggs, green pepper, apples, banana and spinach are also good sources of chromium. When you supplement 120 mcg of chromium daily, your body benefits by revving up its metabolism.
  • If you really want to kick-start your metabolism, you may also try dividing your meals up into smaller portions that you eat more often throughout the day.
Every time you eat, it helps your metabolism rise, so as strange as it may sound, eating frequently can help you lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #264  

Height: 5' 2"

Thank goodness our dining table faces out into the back garden where lots of birds come and go in the shrubs. I enjoy watching the chipmunks play as they leave their den under the airconditioner.

Also, am beginning to put some food from breakfast till later, like now. Never do without breakfast, one of my favorite meals of the day.

Coffee begins my day, but by 3:00 PM I stop so I can relax for night's sleep.

Ice water? Sorry, I prefer cool but not cold water, but make certain I have enough.

Weigh in tomorrow, hope it is better than today's.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #265  
Focus & Determination

Smile Black-Eyed Pea and Stewed Tomato Salad

Serves 8

Black-eyed peas and stewed tomatoes are a Southern good-luck
combo served on New Year’s Day. Here, the juices from a can of
prepared stewed tomatoes sweeten and flavor the dressing.
  • 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas, or 2 15-oz. cans unseasoned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
  • ½ large sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, finely diced (1 cup)
  • 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced (1 cup)
  • 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced (1 cup)
  • 1 small green or red bell pepper, finely diced (1 cup)
  • 6 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced (1 cup)
  • 1 15-oz. can stewed tomatoes
  • 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1. Combine black-eyed peas, sweet onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper,
and green onions in large bowl, and set aside.

2. Drain tomatoes, and place liquid in small saucepan with vinegar, oil,
and Cajun seasoning. Coarsely chop tomatoes, and add to black-eyed-pea
mixture. Bring tomato-juice-vinegar mixture to a boil, and pour over
black-eyed-pea mixture. Stir to coat. Cool, then chill 1 hour. Season with
salt and pepper, if desired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (33.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 12:31 AM   #266  
Focus & Determination

Hey Ladies, 2 lb gain for me this week. Yikes! What is going on with that?!?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #267  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Hey Corinna, there must be something in the water...I gained too...and this week is my Birthday, so there will be cake....I need to get motivated, but I seem to be stuck
Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #268  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Hi everyone. I realized that it's been almost 2 months since I checked in. My wonderful father passed away peacefully on February 6. He was 93 years old, lived a great life, and had the opportunity to see all his children, grandchildren, and assorted family and friends in the last two weeks of his life. While I (and my siblings) are tremendously heartbroken, we are very thankful that it was dad's little body that gave out not his mind. He was sharp as a tack to the very end! No dementia or Alzheimer's; just an exhausted, weary body. We also take comfort that even though he had two major surgeries within a week, he passed with very little suffering and we had the support and excellent care of hospital and hospice staff. As a family we couldn't have asked for more.

As I mentioned on another thread, my dad made very few excuses in his life and was very much from a "get on with it" generation. In honor of my father "I'm getting on with it" and recommitting myself to becoming healthier in mind, spirit, and body for 2015 and beyond. He would want nothing less

On that note, it is so good to see such consistent progress and many postings from familiar folks. I love the support of 3FC
Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #269  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Height: 5'6"

Sharika, - I too " find myself adrift and in need of a plan to get committed". March promises, so hoping will will help tip the scales also.

Love2, - Also hoping "Weigh in tomorrow is better than today's". I am 1/2 lb up for the month, not the right direction.

Renee - Good time for b-day's huh. Hoping we can all get unstuck this month.

Corinna, - I guess February was challenging for us all. Tomorrow is a new day and new month. Will write down what goes in my month and stop nibbling. These two would be a great start for me.

to All.

Last edited by workinglikeadog; 02-28-2015 at 01:49 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #270  

Height: 5' 2"

Weigh in is a shock. up over 2 pounds and at highest weight of my life!!!!

I agree:

Diana I'm also writing down everything I eat, and even better, planning it ahead of time and simply check off what I eat, (or if I'm stupid, write in what I add.)

February doesn't show much love for myself to hold Valentine's day. I begin again when I woke up today.

CurveyNotLumpy So sorry about your loosing your beloved Dad. How fortunate his mind stayed sharp till the end and that he had time with each of you. Such a blessing
May his determined spirit live on in you and your family.

Your post reminded me of my Dad who was also such a determined, smart, and delightful Dad to me and our family. He welcomed my sister whose father died when she was 3, and he put up with many grandkids, too. I was youngest and had him to myself every morning as we drove to school together. He was a teacher and the best.

Last edited by love2garden; 02-28-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: more info.
Closed Thread