Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 12:13 AM   #181  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Today's weigh-in shows......a 2 lb gain. Yikes!!!!

Looks like I need to review, restructure, and make another attempt this week to improve.

Looking at the positive side of things, I won't have to buy any new clothes just yet, these will remain to fit just fine. Also, I can spend time figuring out even more creative ways to help me reach my goals.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #182  
Focus & Determination

Smile Excuse #2: "I Know How to Lose Weight, But I'm Just Not Getting It Done"

Your Excuse #2: "I Know How to Lose Weight, But I'm Just Not Getting It Done"

The Excuse Buster: Losing weight and getting healthy is about much more than following guidelines. True, you can follow directions and usually achieve the expected results, but rarely is this a long-term solution. Instead, sticking rigidly to a set plan often becomes monotonous and restrictive, and many of us can't imagine living the rest of our lives like that. Beyond boredom, it takes a lot of time and energy to measure portions, count calories, fat grams and carbohydrate content. While these activities can be helpful in fostering awareness and forming better habits, there is an easier way to adjust our relationship to food, and that is by "knowing better".

If we want to be perfectly honest with ourselves, most of us have to admit that we already know how to achieve a healthy body weight. We know that eating more than our body needs and moving less than we should results in excess fat being stored in our cells. We know that we need to drink plenty of water to keep our body's organs and systems operating efficiently. We know the benefits of proper nutrition and getting enough sleep. But knowing and doing are two very different things.

That's where knowing BETTER comes into play. When you think about it, "knowing" something means simply that you believe it to be true. But have you ever believed something that didn't serve you well? Have you ever believed that losing weight was hard? Have you ever believed that your eating was out of control? Have you ever believed that exercise was unpleasant? Do you still believe these things now?

What you know and believe is what you will create in your life experiences. If you want to be sure that your weight loss will be easy and permanent, begin "knowing" that it will. Know that you have the ability to make better choices for yourself - beyond any written or spoken guidelines you may follow initially. Know that you are strong enough, committed enough and wise enough to transform your unhealthy habits into lifelong, life-affirming habits. Whatever you know, you make it true.

Knowing BETTER

Above information found at https://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss-excuse-buster/i-know-how-to-lose-weight-not-getting-it-done

(More Excuses and details to come)

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-31-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:04 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

No change for me I know I made some bad choices last week.....was stuck inside and was bored so I baked.....and ate. I will do better next week!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:01 PM   #184  
Focus & Determination

Smile Take Control Of Your Diet With Two Choice Words

A recent study conducted at the University of Houston examined the effect of language on eating habits. The investigators looked at how self-talk influences temptation resistance and motivating self behavior. The article, scheduled for future publication in the The Journal of Consumer Research, compared the outcomes when using these different refusals phrases - "I don't" versus "I can't."

The research was based on the insight that the language we use to describe our choices can enhance or impede our goal-directed behavior. Being able to say "I don't eat that" demonstrates self-control and empowerment. Whereas, when you say "I can't eat that" a signal is sent admitting that you are giving up something desirable. The results showed that 80 percent of participants who used "I don't ... " stuck with their goals of good eating habits compared to a 10 percent success rate of those participants that said "I can't.."

Next time you are enticed by a high-calorie treat, say these words: "I don't eat that!" It may empower you and also stop the craving.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #185  
TriAthlete

S/C/G: 192/189/169

Thumbs up Yesterday's Weigh-in

Yippee Skippee, I'm down 4! I've been really focusing on getting more protein and skipping the quick-carbs. The hard part for me is that I love fruit...especially in the winter. I know I need to eat differently to lose than I do to maintain, so I keep telling myself this is temporary. I've noticed I'm eating a lot less and I'm not nearly as hungry...don't know what's up with that, but I will take it!

Now I'm humming "Oh I wish I had a calorie tracker thingy" to the tune of "Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner".

We are hunkered down in Iowa today...12 inches of snow and blizzardy windy. I am hoping our son, d-i-l, and grandson can make it over for the SuperBowl tonight, but I am starting to doubt it. Might be a good day to do a little reading and some yoga.

Have a good week, All!

Love & Light -
Shari
Old 02-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #186  
TriAthlete

Corinna - I love the "I don't" vs. "I can't" mentality. I choose to eat vegetarian, so "I don't" eat meat. People ask me how I can do that, and when it's a matter of choice, I don't find it easy or hard...it just is. I used to go round-and-round with my mom when she would say "now, what can you eat since you can't eat meat". After trying repeatedly to explain that it's my choice, I decided to make it a choice to take a deep breath in and then let it go. If I can choose what to eat, I can also choose not to get caught up in that discussion. Choice is empowering.
Carol Sue & Andi - I agree. WW is expensive and for me, it didn't make sense so I was always kind of rebelling against the system. I remember thinking "I didn't get fat eating carrots, so why are they the same points as a cookie?" I think no matter what plan you choose, you have to reconcile yourself to following it.

Renee - My husband bakes bread and I have to admit, if he baked today, I just might eat the whole loaf in one bite and then start licking up the crumbs. He knows I'm low-carbing, so I'm glad he isn't baking.

Diana - Juice!!! I am so looking forward to making a big glass of carrot, ginger, orange juice...in a few weeks!

I'm re-thinking my hula-hoop ineptitude...maybe I should try it. You girls make it sound so fun!

Last edited by sharikay1; 02-01-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #187  
TriAthlete

Default It Worked!

I decided to try adding a tracker in...and it worked! Who knew something so small could be such a big deal!! Whoot!!

Old 02-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #188  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Height: 5'6"

Morning ladies, have started a 28 day challenge of no p.m. snacking on the "Forming new habits" thread. This a big part of having successful weight loss for me. I'm also on the Feb Weight loss and Feb exercise challenge for accountability. I have concluded that my exercise mins will have to be closer to 60 mins a day to loss weight, so any encouragement in this area will be much appreciated. Can you believe it is February already, where did January go? I've also started working in the studio on the 1st of three scheduled painting themes this year. January I'll be painting On The Sunny Side, which includes pears and sunflowers. It's gonna be a fun way to get back into painting. Starting the month at 158 and hoping to be 154 by or soon after my b-day which is Feb 20th.

Andi, I am ramped up for losing some weight this month, how about you? Hope your meal with DBF was fun and you were happy with what you ate as well.

Corinna, I've know people who can not tolerate raw vegatables, that would be hard to deal with. Do you know what fruits or vegetables make you break out, or is it the acidity of the whole drink? Love you positive posts

Carol Sue, Sometimes help with perfectly portioned meals would be nice,& having a chief take care of all things kitchen would be even better, lol.

Renee, Hope you have a better week & month

Shari, 4 pounds lost - Liking your new spiffy tracker!

Let's all put our whole heart into February success, good diet, great exercise and stupendous weight loss! Hi to All.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:45 AM   #189  
Focus & Determination

Way to go Shari!!!!
  • 4 lbs, that is terrific. I would be dancing and singing too.
  • Hope your family made it safely to your house to watch the Superbowl if they decided to venture out in that snow.
  • I am also a vegetarian, so I can relate to the type of conversations you mentioned. This year will be my 20th year.
  • I like your tracker! Trackers are very motivating.
  • I hear a hula hoop calling your name.....
Shari, Shari, swing me around,
Shari, Shari, don't let me down,
you will lose some weight if you do,
plus you will gain a happy attitude.
Shari, Shari

Diana
-
  • wow, you are definitely getting determined. Sounds like you are on a good course for action and accountability.
  • You will have to post a picture of your paintings when you get them done. They sound like they will really be nice.
  • Sometimes I can eat fruits and sometimes I can't. It varies. I have found that a banana may make my mouth feel like cotton one day, and then a few days later I have no problems. A few strawberries sometimes make my tongue blister, then there have been times when I get can away just eating a few. It really just varies. I use to love drinking juice. However, I don't anymore do to the blistering. It is almost like my body has overdosed on it and it is trying to push me away from it. I use to crave it, but no more. I tried a mango last week, and it was really good, but I paid for it later. My mouth was sore and my stomach were tingling for a few hours. I just have to be careful now. I believe it is the acidity.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:53 AM   #190  
Focus & Determination

Smile Eat To Live

See attachment.

Eat better, move more, and believe in yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EatToLive.jpg (43.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #191  
TriAthlete

Default I love the February theme: Put Your Heart Into Success

Corinna - Thanks for the Hula Hoop song...now I really need to get one! Thanks for sharing that you could relate to the conversation about eating vegetarian. This is my 7th year. The first year, when I was trying to figure things out, I distinctly remember thinking "wow, eating vegetarian must make people think 'pasta' and 'cheese' because that's what everyone seemed to push in front of you as a substitute for eating meat!" Crazy! And no wonder I didn't feel great until I started focusing on eating plant based and simpler.

Diana - I am SO excited to hear about your painting!!!! I just signed a lease on Friday for studio space so I can get back into painting!! I was an Art major way back in college and got sidetracked by kids, a real job, and life for the past 25 years. I spent the past year lightening up my home space...doing some remodeling, lighter color pallet, took down the window treatments and still haven't put them back up because we are loving all the light and the big view into nature, purged a bunch of things that no longer serve me. Through that process, one of the things I realized is that I need dedicated space and time to focus on my art. I've always wanted to find a studio and started looking this past fall. It all came together in January and I signed the lease beginning on Feb 1! It all started with intentionality...putting it out there and then giving the Universe time to help guide me where I needed to be.

What a great start to the day!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:58 AM   #192  
Focus & Determination

Smile What to Do After Cheating on Your Diet

It’s happened to all of us at one point or another - we’re going along great
on our healthy weight loss plan, when all of a sudden we careen out of
control and eat something we really shouldn’t have.

While this is a common experience that all dieters share, it does not have
to mean disaster if you keep your senses and take action to minimize the
damage.

Here are a few do’s and don’ts after ‘cheating’ on your diet:
The first thing to do is forgive yourself.
After all, you’re only human! Remind yourself that you are trying to
change very deeply ingrained old habits, and that takes time and
persistence. It’s virtually inevitable that you will slip now and then.
The next step is to honestly assess how bad the cheat was.
Did you have one serving of chocolate cake, or did you down an entire
pizza , a 6-pack of beer and a roll of raw cookie dough? Was it a
one-time cheat, or did you go on a bender and eat non-stop for 3 or 4 days?

If you are honest with yourself, most of the time you’ll realize that the
cheat wasn’t as bad as it could have been. Even if it was a huge,
seam-bursting event, you can still take steps to get quickly back on track.

First, what NOT to do:

Definitely DON’T assume that you’ve screwed up your diet and you
will be a fat failure forevermore. Don’t beat yourself up
and call yourself names. Don’t tell yourself that you’re weak,
have no willpower and can’t do anything right.
None of these things are true - you just went a little off course, that’s all.

Definitely DON’T starve yourself as punishment or in an effort to try
forcing your body to lose the weight you gained from a cheat! Eating too
little will only slow down your metabolism and make matters worse.

Most importantly, don’t quit your diet! Don’t see your cheat as a
“failure” - see it as an opportunity to do better from this moment on.

What to do next:

Then, depending on the magnitude of the cheat, you may want to take a
few steps for the next few days that can help you bring your body back
into fat-burning mode.

Increase water intake

If your cheat included foods that are high in sugar, fat and sodium,
drinking more water can help your body flush out toxins and any excess
water that it may be retaining due to the content of the food you ate.
Drink enough water so that you are visiting the potty regularly and your
urine is virtually clear in color.

Eat High-Fiber Vegetables

Include plenty of high-fiber, nutrient-rich vegetables in your diet for a few
days, especially vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cabbage, avocado, and
brussels sprouts. This will help keep you feeling full while also stimulating
your digestive system to keep things moving along smoothly, and boosting
your metabolism because these foods require your body to expend a fair
amount of energy to digest them.

Patiently Wait Out Cravings

Finally, if you cheated with a food that has now triggered cravings for
more of the same food , you’ll have to patiently wait it out until the
cravings pass. Remember that some foods (like sugar) create a chemical
chain-reaction in your body that makes you want more and more of them.
When a craving comes over you, simply take a few deep breaths, affirm
that it will pass, and wait until it does.

Cheating on your diet is not the end of the world - it’s not even the end of
your diet, if you simply keep your common sense and do what you can to
get back on track as quickly as possible. And if you find you’re consistently
cheating on your diet, then it may not be the right diet plan for you.
Losing weight permanently means making changes you can live with for the rest of your life.

Published by FitWatch (https://www.fitwatch.com/blog/what-to-do-after-cheating-on-your-diet)
Old 02-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi all,

Corinne, I loved the article about how to act after cheating.

I had minor vein surgery done today, so I have to elevate the leg and take frequent walks today. Last night DBF worked very late and stayed over at my house for an early meeting, so I ended up making spaghetti and of course I had to have some :-(

Hopefully I'll still be able to do my 5 mile hill walk and tennis lesson on Saturday - depends on the follow-up visit on Thursday.

Sharikay, congrats on the 4 pounds!

Working, good luck on your 28-day challenge! Evening is always a tough time for me.

Keep strong, everyone!

Andi
Old 02-03-2015, 11:00 PM   #194  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Height: 5'6"

Evening Chicks, Hope everyone is keeping on track. I had a mid day sugar crisis, so feel icky tonight, but am lucky to have Corinna's timely advice. So drinking fluids and might even go to bed early. Tomorrow is a new day!

Corinna, at some point (at the end of the month) when I wrap up this series of 6 I'll post a painting. Cant' wait to start painting on Thurs. Tomorrow is garden club, which is a meeting and program - so pretty much the whole day. It is my social club, so I may complain a bit, but I really enjoy all the folks in this club. We raise money and do things for local schools, library and retirement home, so the time participating feels worthy.

Sheri,, " I was an Art major way back in college and got sidetracked by kids, a real job, and life for the past 25 years" -WOW, I'm really excited for you too. I can understand the getting sidtracked, although I never stopped -----just really slowed down. Last year as my ds graduated from hs, I was in my first substantial show and sold enough paintings to awe myself. I am working on putting a web site up, not easy but gotta get one done SOON. I have two shows and two venues this year, so some nice opportunity and some luscious ideas to paint. I paint loose bright humorous acrylics. Are you fixing the space or moving in? Do tell!

Andi, Hope you are recovering well from your minor vein surgery. I just had a visit to a dermatologist and after pointing to some of my vericose veins the doctor pointed to her compression socks and said, "I wear them everyday!" So I ordered two more(had 2) and will order more next month.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:46 AM   #195  
Focus & Determination

Hi Andi! Glad you liked the article. It seemed to be calling out to my yesterday, especially since I had ate a Kit Kat bar. Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery and only good news for your follow up visit on Thursday. Hope you will be able to enjoy your weekend activities as planned.

Diana, great! I look forward to seeing a painting. Your garden club sounds wonderful. You are a sweet person. Stay strong and focused. Think thin to win!
Closed Thread