Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:10 AM   #166  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Smile Focus on the Positive and Ditch the Negative

When you’re on a diet or simply trying to eat better and lose weight, there is a tendency to focus on the negative. Have you ever done this?

“Darn, I only lost a pound, I was hoping for at least two pounds.”
“I shouldn’t have eaten that bagel yesterday morning, the thing was almost as big as my head.”
“That extra serving of pasta at dinner last night was a bad idea. Why did I do that?”
“Will this weight EVER come off? At this rate I won’t reach my goal until I’m 90!”

Sound familiar?

Focusing on the negative is a chronic habit that almost all of us have developed over time, and it has the power to sabotage your efforts if you don’t do something to stop it. How? By making you feel like you’re wasting your time, not making enough progress, you’ll never succeed, and so on. If you don’t turn those thoughts around, you’ll give up because it will seem too hard. This is one of the biggest reasons why so many diets fail. People can’t see the progress they are making, and they lose hope that they’ll ever reach their goal.

Today we’re going to share a fantastic weight loss motivation strategy that can help you stay focused and committed to seeing your goal through to the end. That strategy is as simple as focusing on the positive.

Don’t dismiss it just yet! Wait until you see how easy and effective it really is.

Imagine if, at the end of each day, you made a list of all of the things you did RIGHT that day. How would you feel about yourself and your healthy new lifestyle?

Example:

I got up early and worked out, felt great! I hopped on the scale to see that I’d lost a pound already. I drank plenty of water all day. I stuck to my eating plan 90%. I made time for myself to relax and meditate.

I turned away from that plate of brownies Sarah brought to work. I was tempted to stop at the drive-thru on the way home, but I didn’t! I had an extra serving of vegetables at dinner. I ate almost no sugar today, except for fruit, which is really good for me.

Just reading this list, you can probably feel the power of such an exercise. Okay, so maybe you don’t always do everything perfectly. Maybe you slip from time to time and eat something you shouldn’t.

Maybe you skip a workout here and there. But focusing on those “mistakes” will only make you feel bad, which will make you more likely to slip some more.

If you instead make it habit to focus on everything you did RIGHT each day, you’ll feel proud of yourself and motivated to keep going despite any little setbacks. Just be sure not to include any “negatives” on your list. Notice that we didn’t write on our list, “I stuck to my eating plan 90% and screwed up the other 10%.” Don’t write, “I lost a pound but I was really hoping for two pounds.” That only makes you swing back to a negative focus. Even if you are aware of the negatives, don’t focus on them and don’t write them down. Simply set those negative thoughts aside and only focus on what you accomplished that day.

Try it - it’s truly powerful and life-changing. By the way, you can use this technique in other ways besides relating to your weight loss; use it for general goal achievement and personal development too! It makes you feel great about yourself, and that’s really the whole point of trying to improve yourself, right?

(https://www.fitwatch.com/blog/focus-on-the-positive-and-ditch-the-negative)
Old 01-28-2015, 05:01 AM   #167  
Focus & Determination

Wow Diana 170 rotations! Now I have been challenged!! My husband laughed when he heard me say this and saw me run over to get my hula hoop. You have motivated me. How am I going to do this now after just eating my supper. I'll get back to you on this.

Okay, I am back from my hula hoop challenge. I feel a bit queazy, but I did it, and now have a big smile on my face. I reached 342. That's your challenge to beat by next week.

Are there any other takers out there (Mad Donnelly, Love2garden, Mars735, Shari) for the hula hoop? C'mon now, don't be shy. You know you want to get those hips moving. You know you want to feel young and cheerful again. Get swinging! It will bring a smile to your face too when you get it moving. Even just a few swings will get you into the crowd and motivate others. Let's get you started, yes?

Carol Sue-
--how are you doing with your eating hours? Are you sticking to your goal of 8 hours or have you modified it?
--What shows do you watch when exercising during the day? My favorite use to be Guiding Light but that show ended years ago. I got hooked on it watching it during my lunch break back in the late 1980's.

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-28-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Workinglikeadog, I love Corinna's suggestions. They are spot-on! But I have difficulty following through. From past experience, I know that something has to click to get me back in the mode, and right now, it's not clicking.

Corinna, I have not been sticking to my 8 hr eating goal. I start my day out so good, with such good intentions, but midday things start to fall apart. I need to become more focused as the day goes on and keep my eye on the prize.

I watch The Young and the Restless from 12:30 - 1:30 and then the Bold and the Beautiful from 1:30 - 2:00. I never watched soaps all my life but when I was around 50 a woman at work got me interested in these two. I would watch when I had a day off or was on vacation. Then I started taping them and watching them in the evening. Now that I'm retired, I'm home to watch them each day, and if I miss them, they are on again on a cable channel in the evening. I figure I'm going to be spending that time watching them anyway, so even if I don't feel like exercising, I can get on my treadmill and walk slowly while I watch TV. At least I'm moving. Sometimes I can't do that, because I might be cleaning or cooking, and I run in and out of the living room watching here and there. Very rarely do I just sit and watch anymore.

My computer said you posted at 5:01 AM and I was wondering why you were just finishing dinner, then I realized where you are. LOL So you are mid-summer, while I am mid-winter. Right? It's been a loooog time since I took Geography!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-28-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #169  
TriAthlete

S/C/G: 192/189/169

Height: 5'10"

Default Funny how things come together

I thought it was funny that my team at work has decided to do a 10-10 challenge (10 pounds in 10 weeks). The first number can be whatever target we want to lose (or gain!) in 10 weeks. Part of the reason I find it humorous is that my team is all guys! Listening to them talk about dieting is just like reading our boards! I haven't told them about this site...some things a girl just has to keep to herself.

It is a gift to have a whole group of people setting their minds on the same goal, as we all know on CADE!

It doesn't matter what our age, gender, location...our struggles are universal.

Be strong and committed today!

Shari
Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 AM   #170  
Focus & Determination

Carol Sue:
  • What about putting pictures of yourself or your avatar picture on your refrigerator, and helpful positive reminders around the kitchen cabinets? They may help rejuvenate that spark you need to get going. Perhaps successful before/after pictures of others who have made the journey and now are living a healthy lifestyle.
  • It is terrific that you stay busy while watching TV!
  • Yes, we are opposite your seasons and time. Currently it is summer and about 1/2 a day ahead of you in time.
Shari- That is wonderful that you have support at work! They will help you keep on track through out the day. I bet it is interesting to hear things from a male's point of view.

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-29-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 AM   #171  
Focus & Determination

Smile Teacher's 370-Pound Weight Loss Inspires Students

At 550 pounds, middle school and high school band director Ryan Blocker found it hard to do his job. Playing instruments was tough — Blocker says he’d be short of breath and get headaches when trying to play brass instruments and even get tired just playing the drums — and leading the marching band was often impossible. “We had one parade that was 2.1 miles, I had to have the other band director lead it for me,” he tells Yahoo Parenting. “I even dreaded the ones that were just a couple of blocks. I’d start in front of the band and finish at the back. I know my students were worried.”

Two years later, through a diet program of pre-portioned meals and exercise, the 30-year-old has dropped a whopping 370 pounds, and says his students at New Madrid County Central High School in Missouri have been some of his biggest supporters. “I teach sixth through 12th grade, so some of these kids have known me for years, and have seen me through this whole journey,” he says. “They notice that I’m more active and have more energy to do my job and that I’m in a better mood because I’m not tired all the time,” he says. “Since I lost the weight students have said that they’d see me getting red-faced and sweaty during marching band and they worried that something could happen to me.”

Blocker says his new found health has changed the way he teaches. With more energy, he’s able to demonstrate how his students should play instruments rather than just explaining what they should do, plus he’s rediscovered his love of music — something that he’d lost when he wasn’t playing. He’s also engaging in more extra curriculars. “Band isn’t just 8 to 3, you work all the time, but I wasn’t getting stuff done because I wasn’t going anywhere but school and home,” he says.

Perhaps most importantly, Blocker says he now encourages a healthy lifestyle for his students. “Obesity is a problem and it’s starting younger and younger,” he says. “If the changes that I make can inspire kids to make better choices — even small ones — that’s great. For most teachers, candy is an easy reward for good behavior or a good outcome on a test. But there are other ways — like bonus points or special activities, and students like that.” On band trips, Blocker says he’s going to provide water instead of soda, and bring along fruit instead of chips. “I’ve found that kids will eat healthy stuff if it’s available to them.”

Some of Blocker’s impact might not be so immediate. “Even if it’s in the back of the students’ head when they are older — if they know they need to get healthy and remember that they saw me do it, that would be great,” Blocker says.

For now, the teacher’s increased activity level is rubbing off on the kids whether they like it or not. “Before, if it was hot and we were going to have marching band outside, I would be like ‘ugh, let’s not go out today,’” he says. “Not anymore.”

I found this article on Yahoo at https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/teachers-370-pound-weight-loss-inspires-students-107907509837.html
Notice that he was able to help limit his intake by pre-portioning his meals. This is a great way to keep from over eating during the day. It takes planning, but it works!

See attached photo of his amazing results!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 370lb_loss.jpg (25.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #172  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Good morning Ladies,

Corinna, congrats on your Hula-Hooping - that's quite a workout! I found some good, FREE workout videos by Jessica Smith that I really like. She has many to choose from including beginner level and some for those with "bad" knees...I just hook up the HDMI cord and watch them on my big tv.

I like the article about the band director who lost all that weight and had read it before. I think an important take-away is that he did planning for his eating day and didn't just trust himself to eat on plan when he got hungry and vulnerable. My sister lost a bunch of weight using weight watchers (not for me), but it was because she planned her meals every day the night before. She did say that WW was almost like a part-time job because it took so much pre-thought. I might try this on my own low-carb plan and see, as my problem is impulsive eating.

Have a good day!

Andi
Old 01-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #173  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning Chicks. Got some morning exercise in and drinking my (vegie and fruit) juice as I type. My weight doesn't jump all over the place when I juice. I wonder if this is from easier to process or less junk to process or both. I'm not sure I'll pure juice, it just seems so odd not to eat at dinner time. My husband suggested soup & salads at dinner and try no p.m. snacking. Darn dh, he may be on to something, although I think I may have to exercise more to loss weight. I know there are two more days this month, but I'm resigned to weigh in this a.m. at 158. So I lost 2 pounds this month. It's so hard not to think and add that I was hoping for 4. Yes Corinna, I will pat myself on my back for a good start to a life long journey. Hope January has been good to all of you.

Corinna, Oh my the hula hoop goal is high, lol! I did a bit this morning but not as co-ordinated. May have to try a few more times today(a sneaky way to get that practice in).

Andi, Will have to look for Jessica Smith's free hooping lessons. Are you hooping too?

Have a great day All.

Last edited by workinglikeadog; 01-29-2015 at 12:04 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #174  
DIANA

Andi, Which of the 25 sections on the Jessica Smith website did you find the hula hoop videos? I did a search and it did not come up with anything. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #175  

Hey Working,

I didn't see any Hula Hooping videos, just other kind of workout videos on her site... sorry if I was confusing.

Glad to hear you're hooping away. I may try that at one point, but I think I'd be better served right now if I get up and do Something in the AM before work. I got a lot of sleep last night and jumped on the treadmill for 20 min this morning and am feeling pretty good about myself now. Also started to drink an Organic Protein shake in the morning which is really filling! I do like to actually "eat" foods so will shoot for lean protein and salads in the evening. I'm really ready to ramp up the weight loss!

I'll bet if you search for Hula H. videos on YouTube you'll get some hits. :-)

Andi
Old 01-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #176  
DIANA

Andi, Oh that was all me. My hooping enthusiasm got the better of me,lol. Yes, youtube has lots of hooping videos. Sounds like a good plan to exercise in the a.m. before going to work. I'm thinking salads or soup for dinner at night sound good, like your thought about eating so maybe a big salad tonight. I'm ramping up for the month of February. Thinking of more exercise and no p.m. snacking challenge.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #177  
Focus & Determination

Hi Andi!
  • Thanks for sharing those free workout videos with us. This group may be able to benefit from the exercises provided for people with bad knees. Thanks for thinking of us.
  • Glad to hear you are ramped up for some weight loss. Now that is a postive attitude!
Diana Congratulations on your 2 lbs loss.
  • It sounds like you are having fun drinking your juice, and it is working for you. I wish it would be that simple for me. I have to be careful with juice because some types make my mouth break out from the acids.
  • I think it won't take long for you to reach my hula hoop number. I have a feeling you have fun just trying it out too.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:01 AM   #178  
Focus & Determination

Smile Sometimes It's The Simple Things In Life That Make Us Happy

See attachment.

It may lead to a new direction in life, a trail for exercise, a way to walk to unwind, or perhaps a way to enjoy the beauty of this world. It has can have a different meaning for everyone. Look at it and find yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoadToHappiness.jpg (80.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-30-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #179  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I am normally one who eats breakfast when I get up. Recently when I decided to do the 8 hour eatiing window I was having trouble because my window closed right after eating dinner and left the long evening hours and then the overnight hours. I was having a hard time sticking to it. This week I have started postponing my breakfast and I dropped a pound. I'm hoping that's an indication that this is going to work better for me. I am still eating breakfast food as my first meal, it's just later. Then I am good until dinner, since we eat early, arounf 4PM. But it allows me to have another small meal in the early evening, when my temptation is the strongest. I wouldn't be able to do this if I was still working. I would have to eat something before I left for work. I think that's why I got into the habit of eating when I first got up. Being retired, I have the time to do this.

The best thing for me was when I was in the hospital. They brought my perfectly portioned meals and there was nothing available to eat in between. I don't have the discipline to do that on my own.

Andi, I did well on Weight Watchers, but I didn't like paying all that money to have someone weigh me. And since I usually cook all my own food, it was hard to figure the points of some foods. It is easier when you use packaged foods, or the Weight Watcher recipes that have the points calculated out for you.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #180  

Carol Sue,

I agree, WW ends up being very expensive, and it is difficult counting points when one cooks at home 90% of the time. Another thing is that my meeting was after work and actually prevented me from doing my normal exercise for that day. I also hated that I had to pay whether or not I could even make it to the meeting. What was the last straw was that they encouraged eating artificially-sweetened foods when we know they are bad for us... or they would say cookies are ok as long as you count the points, which made no sense to me.

It does work for some, however, and that's great.

Going out to eat tonight with DBF so have to really watch what I eat today. made scrambled eggs with spinach this morning and it was really good!

Andi

Last edited by WebWoman; 01-30-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Closed Thread