Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:05 AM   #541  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Fresh-thanks for reminding me about the lemon water. I need to start drinking it again.

Andi-I know you will miss your son. Stay strong!

Terapet-I hope you feel better soon. Good job on avoiding those bad calories.

Jog with dog 1 hour
B-Seeded roll, hummus, mixed lettuce
L-Risotto with baby corn and tomatoes
D-Veggie strips, onion rings, seeded roll
S-cereal
Walk 30 minutes with dog and husband.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #542  
Focus & Determination

Smile How to Stay Committed to Your Exercise and Weight Loss Goals

How to Stay Committed to Your Exercise and Weight Loss Goals
by JJ Virgin

http://www.tipsonhealthyliving.com/d...ght-loss-goals

It’s normal to have days when you really don’t want to exercise or look at another salad. But before you pick up a fork and dig into sugary frosting or write off the gym, try this idea that JJ Virgin, the author of Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy, says is personal kryptonite against program destroyers.

Let’s be honest here. You will need something concrete to really motivate you when times get hard. There will come a day when you have a big fight with your mother on the phone or your boss is really demanding. Maybe the car won’t start and your kids are screaming. Suddenly the idea of motivation is out the window and all you want is a Snickers bar.

Or you didn’t work out, and suddenly it’s eight o’clock on a cold winter night. You’re exhausted because it has been such a long day. You figure that it wouldn’t be the end of the world if you just skipped one night of exercise. Then you remember that you already skipped another night . . . and another.

How can you keep from derailing your program? You need something that kicks you in the can when times get hard and all you want to say is “&^%$ it!”

Believe me, at some point you will say, “&*^% it, I want that piece of cake.” Or “I’m a little too tired to put on my athletic shoes and move.” It happens to all of us. But before you pick up a fork and dig into fatty, sugary frosting or write off the gym, I have an idea that’s personal kryptonite against program destroyers.

The Power of Projection

I’ve found one of the best motivators is simply projecting your ideal body. It may seem silly, but really, I want you to do the following “before” and “after” exercise. I promise it will keep you mentally motivated during even the toughest and most challenging moments.

Hit the magazines and find a picture of an actress or athlete you dream of looking like after completing this program. Maybe you love Hilary Swank’s strong, sinewy arms. Perhaps your ideal body currently belongs to Halle Berry, Heidi Klum, or our first lady, Michelle Obama. Who it is doesn’t matter one bit. The point is to choose someone who makes you stop each time you see her picture and think, If only . . .

Now take a picture of your face, roughly the size of the face of the woman in the photo, and paste your head on the celebrity’s body. Make several copies of your creation because you will need them. Put one copy smack in the middle of your fridge, and keep another on you at all times, whether in a purse, wallet, or bag.

Keep one on your nightstand and one on your bathroom mirror, and one each in your desk at work and your car. Now when you’re running around and just want to say, “Forget it, I’m going to grab a slice of pizza for lunch,” you can pull out the picture and renew your commitment.

This photo will be your emergency release valve. When you look at it, what you’re really asking yourself is: is this really worth it? Is it really worth it to eat that bag of cookies? Is that dried-out coffee store muffin really worth it? Is that tempting breadbasket worth it? Is it worth it to skip the gym to take a nap? Is it worth it to slog through my cardio burst training giving only half an effort? Half an effort will not result in Hilary Swank–ness. Half an effort won’t Klum your body. You can’t go all Halle Berry on everyone if you make burger your king or dairy your queen.

This mental photo trick is for every time you even think, Screw it. It will help remind you why you started this program in the first place. Now, before you point the car in the direction of the mall instead of where you work out, ask yourself, “Did my goals change? Did I suddenly wake up this morning and think, ‘I don’t really want to look that good anymore’?” If the answer is no, then you will stop yourself and not toss in the towel. Yes, you still want to have the body of Ms. Cameron Diaz, and that photo of your head on her body has your attention.

It’s completely normal to have days when your motivation lags and you really don’t want to exercise or look at another salad. It’s perfectly valid to be tired — no, make that exhausted — after trudging through a day during these stressful times. I too have days where I’d rather go to a spa and eat cake — not necessarily in that order — rather than go outside and do my burst training session (more on that in the exercise chapter). The thing that gets me through the cake day is looking at my motivator photo and cementing the idea (again) of why I want to stick with the program.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JJ Virgin, author of Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy: The 5-Step Plan to Sleek, Strong, and Sculpted Arms (Copyright © 2010 by JJ Virgin & Associates, Inc.), has successfully coached Hollywood elite, rock stars, heavyweight champions, Olympians, and CEOs into shape using her powerful weight loss program. She is an on-camera nutrition and fitness expert, writer, professional speaker, and radio personality on nationally syndicated shows, including two seasons as the nutrition expert on Dr. Phil. A board-certified 25-year veteran of the health and fitness industry, she lives in Palm Desert, California.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:13 AM   #543  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Enjoy your day everyone! Stay focused!

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal
S - banana
L - chicken noodle soup
S - apple
D - ham and veggies
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #544  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Corinna-I am a bit past the days of aspiring for celebrity fitness. lol. However, I do agree with positive imaging as a motivator when things get difficult. In my experience, it is easy to eat something that tastes great but will lead to weight gain and is probably unhealthy to boot. I personally like to imagine wearing cute clothes that fit nicely without the chubby middle. Thinking about that helps to put things in perspective, think past the momentary rewards of yummy goodies and helps me to make better food decisions. I am also motivated by the thought of moving the ticker. I want to move the ticker down! Hopefully soon.

Here is a good question for everyone-what is your personal motivation for losing weight?

Renee-thanks for the kind wishes. Still feeling very poorly. Just waiting it out.

Last edited by TERAPET; 05-21-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #545  

Terapet - great question! My motivation is to get up in the morning and be able to physically do all the things that need to be done on a farm, whether it be tending animals, gardening, working in the fields, taking care of the house and my family. I am so blessed to live the life I do and only get 1 body to do it with, so I better take good care of it!

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal
L - frittata
S - banana
D - leftover lasagna
Old 05-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #546  
Focus & Determination

My personal motivator to lose weight is to be healthy and avoid getting cancer. My family is full of people who have died from cancer. I don't want to join them the numbers. I figure it will happen, but I just want to put if off as long as I can. I just had an another family member die this past week from cancer, my aunt. So that keeps me motivated.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #547  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Happy Memorial Day weekend girls because we live over a hour away from the cemetery of our beloved ones & can't weekly take care of their flowers, we planted hardy perennial flowers around their head stones.
The crazy temps has gotten our garden planted set back by 2 weeks so Dh & I will do that this weekend. Tomorrow we're going to Frankenmuth,MI to the Dog Bowl Tournament

B... green spinach, fruit smoothie.
L... protein bar.
S... baked chicken, salad.
sn... peanut butter on toast

to ALL, I hope your weekend is Wonderful
Old 05-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #548  
Focus & Determination

Smile 7 Smart Little Ways to Reduce Bloating After Each Meal

If you’re tired of feeling overly full and bloated after each meal, you might
be wondering what steps you can take to reduce bloating after you eat.
Read on to explore some lesser-known tips that really work.

1. Find Out if You Have Food Allergies

You may be suffering from regular bloating after meals because you have
a food allergy you’re not aware of. Try keeping better track of what kinds
of foods you eat and how you feel afterwards, you may see a pattern. If
you suspect a food allergy or a condition such as lactose intolerance see a
doctor for an official diagnosis, from there you’ll know which foods to
avoid.

2. Slow Down

Do you find that you feel bloated after you eat your lunch during your
short 15-minute break at work? If so you might just be eating too fast.
When you scarf your food down you tend to swallow larger pieces of food
as well as extra air, making it more difficult for your body to digest and
process food.

To combat this slow down while eating, specifically make it a point to chew
each bite at least 30 times before swallowing. You might be surprised what
a difference this makes in how you feel after eating.

3. Eat More Fiber

Another common cause of bloating is simply not getting enough fiber in
one’s diet. If you’re not getting at least 38 grams of fiber per day you’re
more likely to feel bloated and constipated after meals. Try eating foods
that are higher in fiber, or try taking a fiber supplement, these come in
both pill form and in dissolving powder.

4. Drink Less Soda

Are you the type who loves to wash down each meal with a glass or two of
carbonated soda? If so this could be leading to your after-meal bloating.
Try swapping your usual soda for water, tea, or another non-carbonated
beverage at your next meal and see how you feel afterwards.
The carbonation in soda can result in gas bubbles from the drink getting
trapped in your stomach. Talk about uncomfortable!

5. Snack on Something with Probiotics

Besides fiber there are other nutrients that can help with digestion while
cutting down on bloating. Probiotics are a great example, and you should
be getting more of these in your diet. Consider enjoying an after-meal
snack that’s high in probiotics, such as yogurt, custard, pineapple, or even
a cup of peppermint tea.

6. Hold the Salt
Sodium is another common culprit of bloating, when your body takes in
too much sodium you may also be eating foods low in fiber. Both of these
factors contribute to after-meal bloating. Try cutting down on foods that
are high in sodium like canned and frozen foods. Never add salt to
anything you eat, there’s plenty of natural sodium in foods to meet your
daily dietary needs.

7. Go For a Walk
Finally, getting some light exercise after a meal can help cut down on
bloat. By getting your body moving you can give your metabolism a boost,
which results in faster digestion of the food you just consumed. Just be
careful not to get too crazy with your exercise right after a meal or you’ll
run the risk of cramping.

Source: PositiveMed.com
Old 05-22-2015, 06:33 AM   #549  
Focus & Determination

Thanks Dee! Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone!!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #550  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi Gals,

Does anyone know of a free 20-minute exercise video that is moderate in intensity? I'm not strong enough to do lots of military pushups or burpees , but want a routine that is moderate and works the whole body. I know there are free ones out there on youtube, etc. (I once bought the 30-Day Shred and it was mostly pushups, jumping jacks and burpees).

Caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror this morning and hated the big belly and flabby arms.

Thanks, and everyone have a GREAT Memorial Day!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:39 AM   #551  

No change for me and I'm not surprised

Yesterday:
B - oatmeal
S - banana
L - chicken soup
S - crackers
D - roast chicken and veggies
Old 05-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #552  
Focus & Determination

I'm down 1.5 lbs, but the old gut feels big tonight. Sometimes I just wonder if I don't have just one big tumor. Guess it is just a big tumor of fat. I will have to work on some gut busters.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #553  
Focus & Determination

Andi,

Try FitnessBlender.com
They have many videos for free and I think you can find one you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMsa...em-subs_digest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgye...em-subs_digest
Old 05-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #554  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Hi Everyone-I am still battling my virus. One week down though, hopefully just one to go.

Thanks for the input on your personal motivations. I agree heartily with each one. I want to hold on to health and vitality as long as possible. I believe healthy food choices and enough daily movement to maintain muscles and joints are essential to the enjoyment of life. Probably should throw in some daily meditation too to help keep mental balance as well. when I think about it-better throw in some smiles and hugs in there too. And of course we all need a little outdoor time, right?

Here is another question, what activities do you think are essential for nurturing your well being?

Renee-I am intrigued that you live on a farm. Is it your livelihood also? How cool.

Dee-I lived in Michigan for a shortwhile long ago and I have been to Frankenmuth. I loved it. I still have an adorable and treasured set of Christmas mugs with a matching serving platter for cookies I purchased there. Michigan is a beautiful place.

Corinna-Sorry to hear of the loss of your aunt.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #555  

Corinna good job on the weight loss. I am so sorry to hear about your aunt...hopefully someday they will find a cure.

Terapet - I have the luxury of being a farmwife. My husband works off the farm and we grow and sell hay. Our son also helps with the hay and I keep everything organized. I love my life! For me, just doing the daily chores nurtures my life.
Hope you feel better soon!
Closed Thread