3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Anyone ever lose it really?

Old 11-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

S/C/G: 278/259.4/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Anyone ever lose it really?

Hi, I am 63 years old, and just looked back at an online log I have had for the last seven years. The graph goes up and down, up and down for all those years - many times - in ranges of up to 50 pound difference or more. I am towards the top again, but not the very top. My health is beginning to suffer, although I keep fairly active and exercise every day (that can only do so much). I want to live to see my grandkids grow up, but I have friends who are in the same place and no matter how bad their health issues are NO ONE seems to really conquer it. It is also harder than ever to do it now. I tried Weight Watchers recently, but I have never liked those groups. I need to actually change WHAT I eat. I once kept 90 pounds off for four years - I was younger, there was less stress, etc.
Any good advice from people who have actually kept it off?
redjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Struggling Dieter

redjb7, I have never been able to lose more than 25 lbs. Before I got married I was thin, but not naturally thin.....it was a struggle to stay that way. Once I got below 200 I haven't been able to lose more than 5 lbs, which I don't keep off for very long. It is very frustrating. I am 68. I do believe age has something to do with it, but there ARE some senior citizens who do lose larger amounts of weight. I just haven't discovered the secret. I think I eat healthy foods, just too much of it, and move too little.

Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
One Old Jedi

S/C/G: 306/208/195

Height: 6'0"

Default Why I might be successful... this time

Your mileage might be different, but...

For me, I have lost and gained weight many times since my 20's
Was the prototypical yo-yo weight poster boy.

Self awareness was the key for me, know thyself. All the times I had lost
before I gained it back because I was on a diet. This was temporary in nature, after the weight loss permanent changes never stuck and the weight
came back....

At 50 I was diagnosed as a type 2, and had to make a decision. Who did I want to be at 55, 60 and beyond. This was the goal... but it needed more
1) Wanted to be healthier and more fit
Then as about how that person lives...
2) How does that 55 me eat, how does he eat?
3) How does the 55 get in his exercise?
4) What does his life look like...

Then I said, no diet. Live like that future me, today
and tomorrow he will be here. This is the solution that worked for me.

My body is no longer in it's 20's or 30's. Need to live like the future me.

So I started portion control like the future me. try to eat much smaller meals 500 cals or less, 3 to 4 times a day.
Get out and walk/run 3 days a week, twice for an hour each and on the weekend go for some longer walk/runs. Bike 10 miles and some weekends long trail rides.

Want to see what the future looks like, look in the mirror today.
Want to see a different future in the mirror, live like that image today.

This was the trick for me, love myself, know myself and live like the
person I want to be tomorrow.

Think at 53 I finally have me figured out
Old 11-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
My body is no longer in it's 20's or 30's. Need to live like the future me.
wow, I think that may be the best thing I've read lately! I am 55 now and a month before turning 54 got the dx of Type 2, high BP, gout, I was a mess. I did a low carb high fat way of eating and it has worked pretty well.Now after a lifetime in the high 200's I am trying to figure out where the future me will land weight wise.

Is it even feasible to think I'll have a normal BMI? I've been in the 170's now for over 6 months, I exercise daily and I may be done losing weight. My husband says I look good.

Donna

a reminder from myself...
I have to fight the tendency of stinkin' thinkin' to give up because I'm not progressing. As long as I am still moving and watching what I put in my mouth then I am progressing no matter what the scale says.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #5

Cellcept doses vary according to levels in the blood and patient sensitivity. Your dose seems to be in the middle. I take 500mg/2x/day,though others in my Tx center are on 1000mg/2x/day. Prograf drives blood sugar levels haywire as does Prednisone with 20% of Prograf users becoming Type II diabetics. I always maintained that though Prednisone makes hospital food taste good it also makes blood sugar rise. Even if you are NOT a diabetic the higher sugars will lead to weight gain.

I would confer with your Tx team to find out if these doses of these two medications can be lowered to help you out('sides what can they do....say no?) Stay Well.
aerialyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.