Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~The Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you when you turned 50? 60? 70? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #2  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy Fall everyone. The leaves are dancing to the ground and the squirrels are hiding black walnuts all over our yard.
Last night I tossed out all my magazines after cutting out recipes that I might try. Any of you do that, cut out recipes and never try them?

I have lots to do today, better get with the program.

TaTa
Old 09-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello everyone

I can identify with the recipe collecting Bobbi ~ I also have a whole box full of ones that I saved because I might want to try them someday. Now, because I can't eat the same things I used to, I might look for a more healthy version of a similar recipe. And usually I can find things online. I print out some of those, simply because I find it once and am afraid I might not be able to find it again.

Enjoying this weather lately ~ the cooler temps are so much more enjoyable than that beastly hot stuff.

Hope you all have a good day.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #4  
Want to feel better

Hello again

I posted this in another area, but will post it here also ~ pick you guys brains ~ maybe someone here will have some ideas

Does anyone know of some restaurants that serve smaller portions?

DH and I will be doing some traveling and needing to eat in restaurants along the way and I am hoping to be able to do so with out messing up too badly any progress I might have made before that time.

We don't eat out very often, but when we eat out from home ~ it is not a problem ~ we just eat 1/2 and bring the rest home and get a second meal out of it. But traveling, we would have to bring along a cooler and I am worried that food might spoil ~ don't want to ruin the trip by eating something bad and getting sick.

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Thank you Bobbi
Old 09-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Gayle this is just a suggestion but you could order off of the kiddie menu. It would be less servings and cheaper too.

Bobbi we are getting a really good cold front this weekend. I'm so excited. I've had enough of summer and humidity.

Yesterday after work I washed out 5- 5 gallon water bottles with Clorox and added fresh water for the camp. Cloroxed 2 150 qt ice chest that will hold our food and drinks for the weekend. Came in a fixed a quick supper. Today after work we are going to walmart to get things for the camp. It's a busy week
Yesterday I went into the room and picked up the baby thst was napping. I changed her diaper and went into the utility room to throw the diaper and my oldest lil boy that I keep said: "it's time for you exercise neenee". That's whst they call me. I had to laugh. He knows my routine. After I did floor exercise he said: now it time you jump. Soooo I guess that says I've been consistent with exercise. He knows my routine.
Tomorrow is weigh on day. Hoping for 1 more lb loss.

Gotta go. Babies are needing!!

Hugs
Cajun
Old 09-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #7  
Want to feel better

Do restaurants let you do that ~ order a kiddie meal?

I thought I remember that one time when I was with my parents, where ever it was offered smaller portions for seniors.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #8  

Gayle I guess you could always ask. Some may allow it and some may not.
It's worth a try!!
Old 09-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! It's a beautiful day!! Dh went fishing so it's me and the dog. It's a good day to get lots done here at home. I also need to get a hair cut and my nails done but not sure it will all be done today.

Gayle, some restaurants will allow you to order from the children's menu, some won't. If they have a senior menu, those portions are a little smaller too. We usually order from the senior menu when we can. At Baskin Robbins (Ice cream) I always order a child's cone. It is good that you are thinking ahead and planning your strategy. But relax and enjoy the trip too.

Bobbi - I don't usually cut out recipes anymore. Long ago I put all the cut out recipes that I really used on my computer cookbook. Some I have lost because in those days I didn't back up my computer, but I can find so many online I don't miss them. Right now (after all my decluttering) I have several boxes of hardcopy cookbooks in the front all waiting to be given away. Many are brand new, hardly looked at and modern day well known diet and cookbooks by well known authors. Hate to give them away but I just don't have the space for them. I know I could sell some online but I'm too lazy. I used to sell a lot online but I got tired of it. I get my new recipes online now. I have cooked some recipes recently from one of the cookbooks I did keep. It is the 500 Low-Carb Recipes and I have so far liked everything I've cooked from it.
Last night I broiled Salmon with butter (Smart Balance), Lemon and Dill, and Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet. My son had caught the fish a few days ago. Very good! I have to laugh when I read some of the old cookbooks because the food is not what I would now eat at all...some because my tastes have changed but much because of the nutrition. I've learned how to adjust most of those type recipes though so it fits my eating style now.

Last edited by maryea; 09-30-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #10  

Hey....It still Summer down here Cajun.....ha I trained that sweet little boy. I have spies watching you 24/7. Be good this weekend.

Gayle.....most chains have senior meals. Like Dennys, Outback, Olive Garden. Oh and lunches are small portions. Do lunch for main meal. I often travel with instant oatmeal.....makes nice breakfast along with room coffee. Then we drive a zillion miles and have a late lunch. Snack in the late evening.

Bobbi/Mary.....I have just decided to not renew my cooking magazines. It is so easy to find recipes on line. I was tearing out recipes and have a crate of recipes that I never looked at again. So I make a note get it online try and if good put it(3X5 card) in my tin box. DH is quite opionated with keepers. If I cook it twice It's Mine!

Robby...The Holy Terror went out this morning and brought himself back without a fuss. Then laid a fresh killed baby rat at my feet. My kitty-cat puppy! He was so proud of himself. It's fine and I understand but it was into my bedroom he brought the body....yuck..

Rosey....Do you have lots of Aspens around you? I love the Fall gold color. Prettiest necklace I ever bought was a gilted aspen on silver chain. Yeah Donna got that out your way in Glenwood springs.

Taco salads for supper....come on down.....k3

Last edited by Karen3; 09-30-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #11  
Want to feel better

K3 ~ that is a good idea to make lunch the big meal of the day. What do you eat then in the evening for a snack ~ is it at a restaurant or stuff you bring along?

This is new for us, as we have lived really frugally in our retirement and didn't travel or eat out. So trying to educate myself so I can hopefully not let things get out of hand because it is different from my usual routine.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #12  

K3 and he I was thinking he was a smart lil boy. Didn't know he's been brainwashed. Shame on you doing that to a lil innocent child. My biggest challenge starts this weekend. It will last until February 28.
I'm giving you permission to fuss, cuss, and threaten me any way you want to. But.....when I'm good you gotta be nice.

You are in my brain all the time just to let you know.

Hugs cajun
Old 09-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #13  

Glynne/Karen3 - We also have lunch as our main meal when traveling most of the time. What we do depends on how we travel. When staying in condo or on base we usually cook and only eat lunch out with exception maybe one nice restaurant meal in the evening during a stay or someplace we really want to try. In hotels I try to always get a fridge and microwave and sometimes buy frozen entress and/or for restaurant leftovers if we will be there more than just a night. However on our recent trip to DC we were so busy everyday and so exhausted we didn't ever cook beyond eating up coffee and tea. We did buy those little cereal cups and a quart of milk for breakfast in the resort. We were only in two places that actually had kitchens and only for 5 nights each. So this trip was totally different than our usual style of traveling. Only one other place have we stayed in a condo and never cooked...last time we went to Cabo, we ate out all the time, but brought back leftovers and had them the next day, so at least we saved in not buying
every meal out, even though the food there is relatively inexpensive. We just didn't always want to go out. We were there a week.

On the clipped recipes...a lot of times you can find the same recipe online. Maybe that's what you meant? Then all you have to do is copy and paste (or with some you can just upload) it into your computer recipe cookbook.
I like Home Cookin. It's inexpensive and simple yet has the features I like without any trouble. I have had (some still do) other computer cookbooks that were way fancier but they usually were more trouble so I stick with this one now. Or you can just save them to Google Documents if you prefer. Also many of the cooking sites allow you to have your own private (or not) cookbook. Then you can just save the ones that look good and print out to try as you want. I print out, cook and throw away the printout. The ones I put on my computer cookbooks (not online), I keep backed up.

Tonight is Chicken Curry with Indian cabbage and it is from the Low-Carb book again.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #14  

Snort....go cook supper and get messages....Cajun, the entire world is on watch out for you. You have come this far and done so well that you have to have a plan to get thru these hard months. I suggest you make meal plans just for yourself. Working around the camp food. When in doubt do small, really small portions. But have a plan to guide you. No temping yourself. PLAN!

Gayle....we pick up odds and ends during the day of local stuff. Who says snack has to be cheese and crackers....how about fresh cheddar and slices of apple. We had the best time with a package of cheap bologna and homemade mustard. Of course that resulted in weird dreams....sighhhhh. Nuts and fruit....endless ideas.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #15  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Hello ladies. Not much to report. The funeral for my friend Murphy was yesterday. He went to high school with my son, he was very active in our church, our priest has a hard time with the funeral. It was so sad. Hope you all have a blessed evening.
Closed Thread