Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #436  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol Sue So glad to know that you do NOT have Macular Degeneration. Don't understand the "hole" but as long as you do that is OK. Yes, if you recover the picture of your grandchild on the scale, I'd like to see it.

Last night driving home late from evening out with DH I realized how hard it was for me to see - never happened before but I rarely go out after dark. The lights really bothered me, and my first thought was I'd have to have cataract surgery and fear knotted my stomach. I'm so afraid of surgery even tho DH had great success with each of his, and I go to the same doctor. I was relieved that once I hit our rural road with few cars, my night vision is still excellent and I can see and recover from headlights quickly.

Like Gayle mentioned, I let go my self discipline instead of my fear and ate part of the big box of delicious cheese-it crackers after great and sufficient supper.

Surely I'll learn how to discipline my eating and get at least 30 pounds off before I get much older. Would love to be below 200 by my November birthday, what a way to celebrate.

Beginning again today to discipline myself and still eat slowly to enjoy every bite (Of course I also enjoyed every bite of last night's binge, too.)

Mary My desktop computer crashed with a virus last May. I have a separate hard drive that goes into the UBS port (like a thumb drive but larger) when I back up to it. I always unplug it after I back up and put it nearby. It saved my photographs, financial information, and many, many things I didn't have to regenerate like the schedules and forms I use for my volunteer job at the Church.

I agree with those of you retired who are quite pleased NOT to be going out to a job, part time or not. Especially each evening as I feel so glad I'm not on that tight schedule, and can actually choose what to do when most of the time.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #437  

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the link Carol Sue! Actually I have a list of common toxic/poisons for dogs on my fridge and know chocolate is on the list but had forgotten about that until you sent me this article. I was just afraid it would make her sick in the house! I don't think she got very much, thank God, as she has been fine. It was from my dh's snack stash he sometimes keeps on the floor by his recliner. Told him not do that anymore!

Went to pulmonary doc and she released him to the wilds, as she put it! I told him I am his wild companion. She asked him if she can trust him to let her know if his breathing becomes worse esp like with wheezing and I said if he doesn't I will. She also said he now should walk more, so we plan to start back to the the gym next week if they let us. Our insurance is now paying so not sure how that works.

Glynne - I'm just like you with the procrastinating. I have done very little the past two weeks, so behind. But this is exactly why I have a schedule...it helps me get something done even if not enough, sort of a trigger to act. When we go out, or like when I have computer problems and working on it or am on the phone with techs for hours, I don't get much done. Today all I have gotten done was fix a roast (in oven, so cooked while we were away), and transferred laundry to dryer and folded a couple loads, and did our daily budgeting which simply consists of making sure my budget is up to date with transactions. Today there was little to do with that. So no real housework done. I don't have hobbies like you do (crafting etc) so I am mainly distracted by the internet and TV (late afternoon and eve). A big problem for me is that we get up late too, but I refuse to get up early just to do housework!

Love2 - Ok so sounds like you are talking about an external drive. While I was searching for a disk I found something that looks like a CD/DVD drive (external to USB port). Can't remember why I have it but may have bought it long ago for doing backups. That was before all the backup services online. I should be good if I keep everything on both backup services, I would think! I'm going to make sure roboform is on both, I know it is on one even though it didn't help me this time...but that was a problem with the company putting the wrong username on the renewed subscription. I think they should take the blame and help me but they say they can't get into the other username They did say they were sorry..so I guess I have to live with that. If I ever need to back up more, I might use this external drive I found, however when I used to back up things that way, I often found they weren't useable when I needed them, not sure why. I'll keep it though in case I need to try it again sometime.

Last edited by maryea; 01-23-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #438  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I could have sworn I posted this morning, but it's not here! DH was up until midnight and got us online again, but we lost most everything...bookmarks etc. I will have to try to reinstall Word and some of the other programs I had. Word is most important because I need that to save my recipes, but I had so many other documents on there too. Some were saved to a jump drive, I'll have to see what I can do with that. Still cheaper than buying a new PC.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #439  

Carole Sue - So glad you are back online! It is really hard when you lose things. I hope you are able to get your recipes and other documents back. I use Home Cookin for my recipes and have been more happy with it than anything I have used. There is a charge but it is very inexpensive compared with most recipe programs. It is very easy to use too and the owner (Mountain Software) is very nice. I have used it for years and after trying so many, always came back to it. So far after every crash and/or reset I have always gotten my data back. The worst for me this reset was roboform. I have given up on working with them and last night I asked for a refund since they just renewed my account recently. I don't know their policy but I believe it was their error and I'm now using LastPass. I've tried them before and looks like they have improved and all your data is kept in a vault online so you can easily acess it if you need to. Roboform is not like that although for years I really like it and preferred it to all others.

Dh is working in the yard today...trying to get a little more exercise in. I suggested going for a walk as no rain and sun coming out, temp is nice and first he said yes but then the pain got worse so he took some oxy and didn't want to walk. At least he is exercising..probably more than me! LOL I'm slowly working my way through the house today but mostly just daily cleaning so far. I've neglected my house too much recently and it shows.

Well just stopped for a break and need to get back to work. Our weather has been so mild this year and the nicer it gets the more energetic I feel. Hope you are all having a good day.

Last edited by maryea; 01-24-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #440  

Today new members can get Amazon Prime for only $72/year! I renewed mine paying $99 just a few days ago. If you buy a lot from Amazon it's a good deal.
Just thought I'd let you know.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #441  

I buy from Amazon, but not a lot. I usually try to add things together to get free shipping. Otherwise, my DIL has Prime and will let me use it if I don't want to wait for something. I just ordered some used books from Amazon, but they are from private sellers and Prime does not apply.

Mary, I hope DH is careful working in the yard and doesn't overdo it. It sounds like DH, doesn't like to sit around idle.

So far the PC is working good, but we haven't been able to restore anything we lost. Can't figure that one out. I have to reinstall Microsoft Office so I can restore my recipes. That should be easy. They are on a jump drive and I have done that before. DH is upset that he lost his bookmarks, but I told him that would have also happened if he bought a new PC. He didn't have anything important. It's mostly all music that he can get again.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #442  

Well, I got Microsoft Office installed and I transferred my recipes from the jump drive to My Documents. That's OK, but I always had them in a separate file called Recipes. I created the new file, but I can't figure out how to get the recipes in there except to copy them one at a time. There's almost 700 recipes! When I go to transfer them, the only option I get is to send to My Documents. I can't remember how I did it before. All in all, I didn't lose them, so I'm good with that.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #443  

Went to church and then to Red Lobster for lunch. I had salmon linguini alfredo and salad and also shared dh's broccoli. Didn't eat much of the linquini but ate three biscuits. Just can't resist those biscuits! It's been about four hours and I'm still full. We then went to Bed Bath & Beyond and bought a stainless steel recycling bin, but I don't like it and think I'll return it tomorrow. It's too big and also will not fit flush against the cupboard next to it. They have another one that is a little smaller that I will probably get, the trash bin we are using right now is the same size and it's fine...it's just ugly.

Carol Sue - Glad you were able to save your recipes. I never use Works so can't help you load them. There may be an import or restore command that will do it.

I'm tired..think I'll take a nap. You all have a good evening.

Last edited by maryea; 01-25-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #444  

Mary, I used to switch the recipes back and forth between the PC and the jump drive with no problem, but I can't seem to do it now. Maybe I'm forgetting a step. Maybe it's safer just to keep them on the jump drive instead of risking losing them again.

The last time we went to Red Lobster I was disappointed so we haven't been back for a while. Same with Olive Garden. Their meals look so good in the TV ads, but you get so much pasta with everything and that's a no-no for me. Also, DH doesn't eat much pasta. He's a potato man.

There is a local restaurant that has wonderful rolls. Occasionally I tell them not to bring them, but they are so good I hate to pass them up. I pay for it later when my blood sugar spikes. The rolls and biscuits at Bob Evans are good too.

We got snow overnight...2 inches or so. The bulk of the snow went to the east coast where they are supposed to get a foot or more. We've had a very mild winter where snow it concerned, but we've had a lot of cold temps. We still have another 7 or 8 weeks to go before spring.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #445  

Took dh to dentist this morning. It was a long appt but glad he had it done as his new teeth look very nice. They pulled his last five natural teeth (front), dropped in the inplants and put his new plate in. The plate was made by a denturist in Portland but today's work was done by our local dentist. His face is numb and puffy and he took oxy before he left home (for lung surg pain) and then valium at the clinic so he's feeling no pain yet even though he said the numbness is beginning to wear off a bit. He is holding an ice pack to his face right now. He was supposed to take the valium an hour before we went in but because he was taking oxy the dentist said to hold off on it. So glad his gums were still good enough for the implants! If they hadn't been it would have been a more complex, longer process. There will likely be some adjustments but hopefully the major work is behind him now. I was glad to hear his gums were ok because of his age plus when we were first married he had bad gums and that is why he lost most of his teeth despite their being going. I am thankful that so far I have most of my natural teeth although I do have a partial on one lower side. The teeth I lost had had lots of work since I was about 12 and at one time I had what they called a "permanent" bridge. Well it lasted quite a while but eventually the bridge collapsed and I then got a partial which I like much better as I can keep it and my gum cleaner.

Carol Sue - I am not a big fan of Red Lobster except for the biscuits. Actually biscuits and salad would be a great meal for me there, but yesterday I decided to get one dish I used to get years ago and really liked. They took it off the menu but would make it when I requested it. I liked it so much that after work a few times picked it up (swing shift) and brought it home to eat before bed! No wonder I gained weight! But now they don't make it quite the same...it was ok, and the salmon was very good, but the pasta and sauce wasn't quite the same. So I probably won't order it anymore and the only other thing I like there is the grilled salmon. I think I have a few more choices I like at Olive Garden. I don't know whether my bs spiked yesterday because I didn't test it but it probably did as it was higher than usual this am.

Snow I thought winter was over as it is almost spring like here. Of course we could still get colder weather next month or even in March. The weather is very strange these days.

Last edited by maryea; 01-26-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #446  

Mary, we will get snow even into March, but we don't get big snows like we used to. I'm knocking on wood! We are supposed to get snow off and on the rest of the week but only small amounts.

I still have my natural teeth but I have 5 crowns. One of my lower front teeth was getting loose, but after I increased my consumption of vegetables it tightened up. I can't say for sure that the vegetables caused it, but what else would it have been? I would love to get implants for those 4 front bottom teeth, but it's too expensive for me. My fingernails got a lot stronger, too. But my blood sugar and weight didn't improve, and that's the main reason why I did it.

Last night we went to a local restaurant and I ordered liver. I love liver but I can't make it because DH won't eat it. He used to eat it until he found out that the liver filters the blood and now he won't eat it. ??? This restaurant makes it so tender you can cut it with a fork. I get it every once in a while because otherwise I would never get it. They gave me a really big piece and DH said that was because they are trying to get rid of it. LOL Funny.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #447  

Dh had a post-surg procedure appt this morning and I went with him just in case, as his mouth was all swollen and he was irritable so knew he was hurting.
The dentist said he is doing fine though and he was in a better mood after that. His teeth look even better today as a lot of the blood has been rinsed away. They have him doing salt water rinses. He is still pretty sore and things are not really stable yet as he still needs the rods or whatever they call it put in to stablize things more. That will be done by the denturist after his mouth has healed and the swelling gone down.

Yesterday I took back the recycling bin I bought for a smaller one that fits better in my kitchen. I also bought a couple small trash cans with lids (step on kind) for both bathrooms to keep the dog out of the trash. I was thinking how all I really wanted was a stainless still open bin for recycling and I liked my little plastic bathroom trash containers in the bathroom, but I am spending a lot more money because I can't find what I want (on or offline) and because of the dog! Funny how these things happen.. I guess what I have now looks better (by today's standards) but I'm a simple gal for the most part. However I did buy a set of towels just cause they are such a pretty color..kind of a coral. I put them in our main bathroom (now our ds's bathroom) and they do look nice..

We stopped for a few groceries on the way home today. Dh can only eat liquid or very soft food right now so picked up a few things he thought he could manage. Tonight I planned a chicken and spinach skillet dish for our ds and I, but not sure dh will be able to eat it.

I've been busy since we got home...washed the old trash containers to get them ready for giving away, weekly cleaned our bedroom and so far have done two loads of laundry, and put away another load found in dryer. Still have at least two more loads to do.

Carol Sue - Oh, yeah I forgot I have at least one or two crowns too. Interesting about the vegetables. I've always eaten veggies so nothing has changed that way for me. I probably should eat more but I try to at least get three servings a day plus a couple fruit and most days I do. Sometimes at least one of those is not a full serving but I get some at least at both lunch and dinner. Fruit is easy for me to get since I like to snack on it ...my problem with fruit is wanting to eat way too much. LOL about your dh and the liver! I used to eat liver and onions when I was a kid and kinda liked it..and I thought it was healthy so made it about once a year for my kids, who never liked it. Then, like your dh, I began to think of it's role in the body and that turned me off it.

Well, my break is over and I need to get back to work.

Last edited by maryea; 01-27-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:11 AM   #448  

Mary, I always liked vegetables but they were always just a side dish. I read a book called The End of Diabetes by DR Joel Fuhrman and he promotes eating mostly vegetables with no starchy carbs and small amounts of protein. He explained each vegetable and what it does for the body. I always knew they were healthy, but they were explained in such a way that you were supposed to eat all vegetables rather than picking out which ones you like because different ones contain different things important to the body. Then I started buying different ones that I never tried before and googling to find out how to prepare them. I found out that I liked a lot of veggies that I never ate before. I eat scrambled eggs for breakfast, but I now add chopped veggies, and mushrooms to them. For lunch, I just eat a big plate of cooked vegetables. A big dinner plate, and I vary them from day to day making sure I get all veggies in throughout the week. Then there's always vegetables with dinner. DH just likes common ones like corn, peas, green beans, but I also cook other ones for me. Sometimes if I get hungry in the evening I will cook more veggies. I don't like raw veggies. This has not improved my blood sugar, because I am not following the rest of what he says to do, like eliminating carbs completely, and limiting protein to very small amounts, like a couple oz per day. But I have seen a great improvement in my fingernails, that were always weak and split, and I have less joint pain in my back and hip. If I cut back on the veggies, the pain in my back and hip comes back.

I don't eat as much fruit as I should. It's not that I don't like it, but when I buy it, it goes bad before I can eat all of it. It's not my favorite thing. I choose other things to eat before fruit.

My little dog used to always upset the waste basket in the bathroom and rummage through it. I don't know what he thought was in there. He usually did it during the night, and I got into the habit of setting it in the bathtub when we went to bed so he couldn't get at it. Another thing he would do, sometimes if I had a cold, I would set a box of kleenex next to my chair in the living room. He would get at them and pull them all out of the box and have them all over the place. He was a weird dog. LOL Another dog we had used to pull over the kitchen waste basket and rummage through that. At least that one had things she could eat. I had to break her of that habit. I could be arrested for cruelty for what I did. One day when I put a new bag in the kitchen waste basket I put the dog down into it and folded the bag over the top. She was struggling to get out and the waste basket was shaking all around. I just left her in it for about 30 seconds then took her out. She NEVER went in that waste basket again.

My step-son called and said our grandson wants to come over on Saturday. I am learning that this really means Mom and Dad want to do something and want John out of their hair for the afternoon! LOL If the weather is nice I think we will take him to the mall. His parents don't go to our mall and we took him there before the holidays and he loved it. He walks around with Pap Pap while Grandma shops. I think it's supposed to be really cold, but no snow.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #449  

I have to laugh. Most of my neighborhood is retired senior citizens who all sleep late, except me because I always wake up early and can't go back to sleep. One neighbor has a son who works overnight. When he gets home early in the morning, he usually cuts grass or snowblows the driveway before he goes to bed. He was snowblowing at 7AM. I'm sure the neighbors who were still sleeping really loved that! LOL
Old 01-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #450  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

It is a nice sunny day here today. It was beautiful yesterday afternoon when I went out to wait for Maddie to get off the bus. Think it might be like that again this afternoon.

I am struggling so ~ I need to really buckle down and stick to eating right and getting some exercies. I don't know why I struggle so with it.

Carol Sue ~ the doctor who wrote that book you are talking about is the same one who wrote another book (Eat to Live) ~ the one my brother-in-law (the one who is the doctor) encouraged me to read (and encourages his patients to read) and follow. He follows that way of eating and has lost weight and maintains it. I suppose I should look into the book you are talking about and learn about some of the other vegetables. I like some, but maybe there are others I might like if I tried them.

I have to be in the mood to cook. I buy things ~ thinking to make a recipe, but then don't feel in the mood to bother with it. I hate to waste stuff so don't buy stuff. Unfortunately when I get in the mood to try something, I don't have all the ingredients. By the time I get the stuff, I no longer am in the mood to make the recipe.

I like stuff that is easy to prepare ~ just warm it up and eat it. I guess that is probably not a good thing.

Somehow I have to find a way to deal with this.

Mary ~ sorry that Joe is hurting where he had the dental work done. He sure has been through a lot lately. Glad he has you to take care of him.

Well, here I am procrastinating again. I should get up off my rear and do a chunk of my walking. A lot of times, if I just do part of it ~ that is enough to get me wanting to do the rest of it that day.

Hello to everyone else. Hope you all are surviving the cold and snow if that is what is going on in your area of the country.

ETA ~ One (10 minute) segment (walking on the treadmill) down, two to go.
Second part done ~ one more part to go

Last edited by glynne; 01-28-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Closed Thread