Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Cajun, I always keep some of my bigger clothes. Luckily, I did it this time. I know that things can go wrong, and it would break my heart to have to spend money on buying bigger clothes. I have a couple pairs of jeans and a few tops that are too big right now. Getting rid of them is nice, but it doesn't always keep you from regaining. At least not me. I think you are doing great. A few pounds up and down is no big deal when the net effect is down. You are getting a lot of good exercise, not just formal exercise, but in your daily living. That's good. I don't have a regular weigh in day, but I get weighed once or twice a week. That way I am aware if I go up a little so I can get it back off right away. I want to lose this belly so badly, but apparently, not bad enough to do what it takes.

Mary, did you ever try frozen brussels sprouts? I have used them and they are pretty good. Most of the time a vegetarian can figure out for themselves what they will and won't eat. I know I couldn't see ribs on the table and pass them up!

When DH wants me to go somewhere, he wants me to stop what I'm doing and finish it when we get home. One time I was in old clothes, on my knees, scrubbing the kitchen floor and he walked in and said "Let's go to Target!" LOL

When I had my surgery, insurance paid for the dressing supplies and sent them directly to my home. Maybe they don't do that anymore. Insurance sure has changed in the past few years. Or maybe his incision isn't as bad as mine was. I'm glad he's feeling better.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #122  
jmhwis50

S/C/G: 182/ 145/ 135

Height: 5 ft 3inches

Hi all, it has been a couple of days since I have posted, today is Thursday already. I am so happy the shower went well Cajun. And congratulations on your 3/4 pound weightloss. Thank goodness DH's surgery went well and his relapse wasn't serious Mary. It can sure be scarey. My husband is very predictable. He has the same BK Monday, Wednesday and Friday which is Oatmeal , Eggs on Tuesday and Thursday Pancakes on Saturday and Boiled Eggs on Sunday. He never changes, and he sits in the very same chair every meal. I am totally different, I never have the same meal twice. On Tuesday I was having a hard time controlling my food intake I was hungry all day. What a difference a day makes yesterday I had to remind myself to eat, and so far today I am still not hungry. Yesterday I made liquid laundry detergent for the first time, I usually make the granulated kind. I thought I had a bucket to mix the ingredients but someone accidentally threw it out. So I went on FB to the free site, and asked if anybody had a 4 gallon bucket that they didn't want. A lady had one and was gracious enough to let me have it. She didn't live to far from me, she also told me where to get another one if I needed it for a nominal fee. So I mixed it up and have it bottled, just wish I had enough laundry to check it out. Laundry does not pile up very fast with only 2 inhabitants. LOL That is probably the reason why I wasn't hungry, too busy. I have started my quilt, I love to do handiwork. It is going to take me awhile to get it done. Household chores never stop, I have to do some deep cleaning today. Oh well it will give me something to focus on. We are thinking of adopting a dog, but have some remodeling to do first. The floors and the kitchen. It shouldn't take too long hopefully. I guess this is not getting anything done, talk soon
Old 10-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #123  

Height: 5'3"

Well our plans for today have changed again. Not surprising with this dd. At least this time she says she is doing it to make it easier on her sister. So no lunch today and she won't be here until about 6 pm for dinner. Has shopping to do when she first arrives which will apparently take about 2-3 hours. After dinner she has to work on her music. Well, we will see. Sorry I am cynical, it's just that I've been through so much with her. At this point it is just ok whatever. Then tomorrow we will have the lunch with her sister. That did kinda surprise me, perhaps she is being nice and I am just too cynical. I had all the chicken thawed for the lunch but it hopefully it will still be ok for tomorrow.Yesterday after five conversations about all this, I was just drained and all I wanted was some time alone and I kinda still feel that way. It seems so wrong...we haven't seen her for way over a year...and then just an hour or less...and it's been that way for the past several years. If I could see my mother again, no shopping or anything would stop me from being with her. I wasn't a perfect dd by any means, but I never treated her like this. With this dd it's like a meal is about all she can spare with us, she really just comes for a gig, a vacation with her bf, her other friends or her brother and sister in that order. I keep trying to trust that things will change but it is discouraging as she is almost 50 years old.

Wannabe- Yes I have used frozen brussel sprouts and they are pretty good. I notice too that frozen foods are much better than they used to be esp those we buy at Costco. The green beans and asparagus are good there. Haven't tried brussel sprouts but they probably have them too. I did find some good ones at Fred Meyers yesterday. Had to go there for somethings dh wanted so just did my shopping there too. Dh's incision is nothing really....held with steri strips will fal off in the shower soon I'm sure.
No drainage. Just a dressing for protection at this point.

Lots to do today. This is my big weekly cleaning day. Not sure I'll get it all done. I slept in very late as I was so tired last night.

Judy - Your dh sounds a lot like mine...he usually has oatmeal or dry cereal during the week and Sun and pancakes on Sat. Pretty set in his ways. I do think it is easier to diet if you eat mostly the same thing daily. I like a lot of variety...only exception is I prefer my pb mocha frappe for breakfast, however I make myself have oatmeal or eggs now and then.

Have a good day!

Last edited by maryea; 10-30-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #124  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

It is a beautiful sunny day here today ~ nice fall weather.

Mary ~ my heart goes out to you with your daughter situation. I have a similar (maybe not quite as bad as yours) situation with my youngest daughter. She made DH feel bad last December. He wanted to come visit her ~ had found some reasonably priced airline tickets. She told him it was not a good time for her ~ she had already many social engagements coming up and did not have time to see him. After both DH and I losing our fathers last fall, you would think she would feel like ~ life is short and maybe to spend time with your parents while they are around. But not ~ I guess. I could fill up pages ~ on and on telling about the hurtful thoughtless things she does (well to family members anyway) but I won't. It is all about her friends. She wants to impress them, but thinks nothing of blowing off her family.

Judy ~ does the homemade laundry detergent clean as well as or better than store bought? I have never tried anything like that. What kind of design will your quilt have? You'll have to put up pictures of your project.

Carol Sue ~ I have clothes bigger and smaller. I don't know if I will ever succeed. I've read that you should visualize succeeding ~ I can not seem to picture myself as ever succeeding ~ maybe that is my stumbling block.

Cajun ~ way to go with the ¾ pound loss. You are doing great with the exercise and getting right back on track. Keep up the good work. Yes, Maddie is feeling better.

How are you doing Love2garden?

Tam Tam ~ any news about your daughter-in-law?

Feeling a little less blue than the other day. Maybe part of it is that I keep messing up and eating stuff I shouldn't. I know better ~ it is not just about the weight, but how it could affect my health over all. Yet, I still do stupid stuff. I guess I just need to try to think that every day is a new day to hopefully get it right.

Well, almost time for Maddie to get home.

Hope you all are having a nice day.

Last edited by glynne; 10-30-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #125  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola, Goldens!

Geez, I can’t believe how long it’s been since I’ve posted. WHERE has this month gone??? I know I’m going to be asking about things already answered, but I’ve had to start this from several days’ worth of posts! Probably my questions will be answered as I read on!

Gayle – did you get your exercise machine? And I did like CarolSue’s advice to you to tell your BIL that the book was “very informative” and then to change the subject. It won’t hurt his feelings if you didn’t read it. I hope the big December visit goes well. Are you feeling less blue and blah? I’ve noticed that you’ve been pretty quiet!

Tam – from me, too: any news about your DIL?

I thought it was interesting to hear EVERYONE describe some sort of familial dysfunction. None of these families are perfect, are they? For the most part, I get along well with my sibs… for the most part!

Judy – I hope your back is better!

CarolSue – I agree! I’m a homebody, too, and I think that’s why Cajun thought I sit around doing nothing all day. I putter and so much enjoy it! I never get bored. If I could, I'd never drive again. The arrogance and rude behavior makes me very testy!

Cajun – what’s your total weight loss now? You’re doing SO WELL!!

Mary – is DH still feeling better every day? How are YOU? Is it still working out, having your DS living with you?

I don't have much to add. I've had a cold all week, thought I was getting over it, and today it feels like it's back! I'll miss my visit with Mom tomorrow. I don't dare contaminate her, at her age! I'm tired of it!

I'll try to get back more often, because I know I've ignored a lot of you. There were three pages of posts to go through since I last posted!! Too much!

Everyone, have a good one! Later, lovelies!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #126  

Smile Mugwump

Hello Ladies,
This is my first post so I am kind of unsure of what I am doing. I looked at the site and you all seem like a friendly supportive group in my age bracket so if I may I would like to join with you in the "battle of the bulge". At this age it seems a slow process but I really want/need to do it. I have lost quite a lot since I retired but am only halfway to my goal and am kind of stuck here. My M.D. suggested I use the South Beach plan and I am on day 3 but feel really heavy from all the protein. I am determined to get through Phase 1 for 2 weeks just to see what happens. Wish me luck!

I look forward to chatting with you. Mugwump
Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #127  
Want to feel better

Welcome Mugwump ~ we always enjoy having another one join us. Tell us about yourself. It is a nice group of ladies ~ yes, supportive and caring.

Look forward to getting to know you.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #128  
jmhwis50

S/C/G: 182/ 145/ 135

Height: 5 ft 3inches

Good afternoon girls, it is a truly drizzly day here in the NorthWest. Welcome Mugwump we always enjoy meeting new people. I've only been posting for a little while myself. I totally sympathize with you Mary, I have a daughter that is the same way. She lives in town and will never spend any time with her dad. I don't care if she ignores me, but I feel awful for my DH he really feels it. My laundry detergent cleans like Tide. In fact I did a side by side test with catsup there wasn't any difference with it's cleaning power. Except it is alot more cost efficient which is my bottom line. I have clothes from about 1x to about 12. Hoping to get back in the 12's, that would be wonderful. yesterday went well except I didn't exercise because my joints were screaming at me because of the damp weather. I did go to the store, mostly for DH, but I did find a Pork Roast on sale, will be making what mom called boiled dinner. That would be Roast with veggies roasted in the same pan in the oven at 325 for several hours. DGS will be coming home for Thanksgiving, so I have to dig out his room so he has a bed. LOL He is training for a very lucrative trade. His skill will be in high demand. My DH dressed up like Alice Cooper for Holloween at work. I took pictures for the gang on FB. I had to be the one to make him up because he knows nothing about makeup. I hope he wins a prize for his costume. Well gotta get going everyone have a great Holloween
Old 11-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #129  

So far our dd has been much easier to get along with this trip than usual. Life is always "interesting" around her but so far no major upsets. We had a nice lunch together today with her sister and the gc. My chicken strips turned out well.
Tonight I fixed the rest of the ribs, not for dinner but just to freeze. Dh ate some and declared them better than last nights. They looked better to me too but I didn't taste them. I ate Subway.

Donna - Our new living arrangements are working out fine. We really enjoy it.
And I'm glad the kids were able to get together with their sister.

Welcome mugwump! I'm going to bed now..too tired to type any more.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #130  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

It is a chilly morning today. Halloween is over ~ yippee. I don't so much like the trick or treating. Sara comes and brings Maddie and a couple friends. We have candy for them. She calls to let us know it is her at the door, because we keep the light off and don't answer the door bell otherwise.

November now ~ where has the year gone?

Had a nice day yesterday with DS Jason. He asked me to ride along to an appointment with him. I think because he usually does his appointments/errands straight after work and is usually going on no sleep, so my role is to help him keep awake. He was slap happy silly ~ so we had some good laughs.

Mary ~ glad you had a nice visit with your daughter. So, were all 4 of your kids there? How is Joe doing?

Judy ~ sorry your daughter disappoints your husband. It seems like every family has “one”. Hope the damp weather lets up and your joints are feeling better. Would love to see your make-up job you did on your husband.

How are you doing Mugwump?

Donna ~ hope your cold goes away so you can feel better. Yes, I did get that second hand exercise bike, I really like it. Regarding that diet book and BIL ~ I don't think he will ask, and if he did, he wouldn't be mean about it. It is more just my guilty conscience getting to me. I'm feeling maybe a little less blue. I think it is because of my frustration with myself because of my struggles with and failure at this eating/weight loss thing. It has affected my feelings in general. Things that usually interest me and are fun (like the internet ~ facebook, connecting with people) don't seem as enjoyable right now. People make me sad. I guess that is why I have been kind of quiet.

Carol Sue ~ I am kind of a homebody too. I would rather stay around home ~ there is stuff here I want to do. Going places with DH ~ I wish I could enjoy it more, but he has kind of a different schedule than mine. I guess after so many years of ~ I think they call it parallel lives ~ it is hard to get used to doing stuff together again.

Hello Tam Tam and Love2garden

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #131  

Hi Ladies,
Thanks for your welcoming words. I look forward to getting to know you all.
I can to relate to several things you are writing about, like kids with busy lives that we seldom see and the difficulty in getting enough exercise when joints are creaky. I took early retirement several years ago and be darned if I know where all that time went. LOL! I love my garden and appreciate when this pesky deer and rabbits leave me a few veggies and flowers. I am tying to stick with this South Beach..day5 now and have managed to ignore the Halloween candy bowl but think it needs to be sent elsewhere. My washer is yelling at me now but I am interested in learning more about the laundry soap. Sunshine today after lots of rain so will try and get a walk in.

Stay strong, Mugwump
Old 11-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #132  

Finally getting here. Because of our dd's gig last night (actually this morning) both kids were out VERY late and we all slept in although dh and I were up first. DD left about 1 or 1:30pm. She said she "crushed it" with her gig. Kept busy with daily work and other little tasks.

Glynne - No only three of our kids were able to visit with her. Our youngest ds lives in AZ.

I'm a home body too...dh is always going out somewhere...I stay home a lot and I don't mind. I do love to travel though.

Bedtime so this is short.

Last edited by maryea; 11-02-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Judy, my DH gave up on being disappointed that he never hears from his daughter. She lives 2 miles away, and we only hear from her when she needs something. I dread seeing her phone number show up on Caller ID because I know she needs cash, or her car is broke down.

Mary, I'm glad DH is improving, and that you and your kids had a nice visit.

We didn't do Trick or Treat. First time in 37 years. Our neighborhood is mostly senior citizen and we have only been getting 8-10 kids in recent years. This year it was so cold and rainy, we didn't think we would get any kids. DH wanted to go out, so we did. We had already bought the candy. Hopefully DH will eat most of it. He has it put away somewhere and I don't want to know where it is. We will give some to DGS.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-02-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #134  

I still have about 6 small candy bars in a bowl near the front door. All that's left from Halloween. So far I haven't even been tempted. Prob should get rid of them soon though. I've just had other things on my mind I guess. My weight though high is stable. It's the same as after the med made me gain, have never been able to budge that but I have to admit I haven't been in diet mode for a long time now. I tried tracking again but didn't last a day. I'm not worrying about it, maybe I will get back to it in time. I just don't want to see the numbers go up more. My bs is a little higher at times but then goes down pretty rapidly with the meds. and I am monitoring that.

Dh is doing ok...he walked quite a bit around the house and outside yesterday, even used his leaf blower to blow off the patio etc. His skin near his incision is rather red but don't think it's infection/inflammation...maybe from the paper tape. I switched to nylon and it's better on one side. I also am putting less dressing on it (only one non-stick pad and two pcs tape) because I feel it needs more air flow. However he has to wear a large binder around it to support the lower part of the incision and he sweats a lot esp at night with that. At the same time he likes it as it makes the incision more comfortable. The doc said we could go to an ace wrap instead and I was going to try that at least at night but dh says not yet. So the most i could do was insist he allow the incision to air for several minutes before being redressed this morning. Hopefully if we do that each day the redness will go away. He still has some pain but is taking more Tylenol now as he is almost out of the stronger med. He continues to feel tired but he can sure pull out the strength when he needs too...our dog is strong and he has had to help me with her a few times and he is still more able than I at that! I also think that at almost 80 one is going to be very tired after surgery. So overall I'm pleased with how he is doing.

It's sad to hear that so many have dds who are so uncaring. I think they will realize what they've missed in time and surely that will hurt. Our dd seemed more interested in a pic with our dog than her daddy. I insisted (nicely) that she get a pic with her dad and she did. I don't think it is because she doesn't care, she just takes us for granted and doesn't think about our age and how time is flying by.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #135  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary, glad to know your hubby is gradually healing. This time last year my husband had his second knee replacement on the same leg. Second one took longer in surgery, and longer to heal, but at almost 80 (sound familiar?) it is no wonder.

Today we walked around the neighborhood a bit over half a mile. His knee is doing fantastic. He also likes blowing the leaves away, especially so they are not tracked in.

We shut blinds, skipped buying candy, and relaxed in TV room at the back of the house on Trick or Treat night. We have over 100 kids who come by and getting up and down with arthritis is just too much.

Also, the temptation of the candy here that is left over is even more a problem.

Thanks for noticing I was gone. Been busy.

Had shot 2 of 3 lubrication into my bad knee. Shot 3 is for tomorrow afternoon. I could tell during today's walk that the knee is far better with that lubrication. Still trying to drop the necessary pounds before Surgeon will replace that knee. I am stronger and really doing far better. Got to thank the dear Lord for blessings.
Closed Thread