Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #91  

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks for welcome.

Not 7 kids, but our 4 and Mom and sometimes (for 3 years) another kid who needed a place to live. Laundry was in closet at end of corridor kitchen with no place to sort clothes that the kids didn't trample over, and no place to hang anything up. Grrrrr

Now, we took an empty bedroom and converted it to my workroom. Only one of our children here now. The new work room has laundry, ironing board and a window to look out of!!! Also sewing machine and desk for my use. Bookcases back to back divide the room and I love it.

Could have really used the extra room with so many of us here in past years, but all bedrooms were very full!!!

Heading to the mountains tomorrow for fall leaves with DH and DD. Hope the sun comes out because all is so much better in sunshine. Temps in the 50's and 60's, perfect.

Can't believe Deelou has no craving for ice cream any more. Amazing and hopeful, too That is my absolute largest downfall.

Gradually learning how this place works and connecting some info with individual women.

May your weekend be pain free, and peaceful.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #92  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Morning all. Just a quick hello. My daughter in law is in the hospital, not sure what is wrong, they are running test so I am working at the store she usually runs. Have a blessed day
Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #93  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

A nice sunny day again today. A tiny bit chilly 62*. I know ~ not so chilly, but chilly for Texas.

Kind of dragging my feet this morning ~ slight headache.

Feeling a little better today though ~ had been feeling kind of puny. Coughing a little and sneezing more than usual and not much pep.

Weight is up a little ~ well, it kind of goes up and down the same couple pounds. So, maybe I am actually maintaining sort of. I think the gain is because I had been eating that chicken noodle soup the last couple of days ~ I think maybe more sodium than I usually have.

TamTam ~ hope there is nothing serious going on with your daughter-in-law.

Welcome Love2garden ~ your work room sounds really cool. Glad you are enjoying it. What ages are your children? Congratulations on the 57 years. My mom and dad made it to 62 years before Dad passed away.

Deelou ~ glad you are having a nice time in Ohio and enjoying time with family and the fall colors.

Mary ~ Glad you had a good rest the other night and that your back was feeling better. Sorry about the surprise you found on top of your fridge ~ that must have been stinky.

Carol Sue ~ glad you have found a mattress that works for both you and your husband.

Cajun ~ congratulations on your weight loss ~ you are doing great.

Judy ~ did the mattress flipping work to help your back feel better?

Hello K3, Lynn, Bobbi, K31 and Donna

Maddie has only ½ a day of school today. So, not much time left before she gets here.

Hope you all are having a nice day.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #94  

I thought I had posted today but guess I didn't. We got to the gym this am and it felt good. I walked 1/2 mile and rode bike about 15 min then did a couple weight machines, so we weren't there long. We haven't been there much lately so didn't want to overdo. Dh has been working hard in the yard too. I didn't get over my whole house yesterday. So still need to mop the kitchen floor and do weekly cleaning in family room. I've been resting and doing budgeting since returned home so now need to get to it. I do have one load of laundry done and another that needs to be switched over.

Glynne - I didn't smell the mess but I'm sure it did if you were close up. I wasn't the one that found it. I bought a fruit fly trap and it is working better than the ones I made, lots trapped but there are still several just hanging around the trap. They like to be there but don't want to actually go in for some reason, well guess can't blame them since they see their brothers go in and not come out.

Tam - You work so hard all the time. Do you plan on retiring anytime soon? Hope your dil is better soon.

Love2 - Oh I see - 7 in all..we were only 6 in all and there was always a lot of laundry. I went back to school in my late 30s and laundry was the hardest thing for me to keep up with. Dh was good about helping me though when it got too piled up. It is nice to be able to have more space after the kids leave but I wish I'd had it when there were all here too. After we retired dh transferred the w/d from the kitchen to the garage and put in a pantry in its place. It would have been wonderful to have it when the kids were home but for some reason we didn't even think about it then. Maybe because I didn't want the w/d in the garage really because of all the dirt it collects. Or maybe because we build a bedroom for the oldest kid in the garage but I think there was space for both. So I really don't remember. Yes all our bedrooms were full too and they still are although I have my office now in one. There is still a twin-size trundle bed in here too for gc visits though and this room is also used to store everything that isn't wanted elsewhere. And a few months ago our oldest son moved back in temporarily plus his dog! So we are still really crowded...in some ways worse than ever! Your new workroom sounds lovely!

Talking about retired couples, dh and I never tire of being together. We always have fun together. That is not to say we never bicker...but when we do we realize we are overtired or something (more rare and usually family issues when it does) is causing stress, it's not about each other. Dh has his own activities and I have mine. He frequently goes out, I could but rarely do as I'm more of a home body. It works.

Judy - Yes how's the back? Mine's better with my new office chair. I don't like the arm rest when typing so glad I can push them up and away. Didn't have arm rests on my old chair. This chair also has a higher back which seems more supportive. Have to push it to one side to pull out the trundle bed but it hasn't been an issue yet.

Love2/Deelou - your trips to see the fall foilage sound nice. Of course, we are up here in Washington and do see it as we drive about, but we have always wanted to drive the east coast to see it there. I can't remember where you two live, sorry, but I know there is a new person (Love2 or Judy?) that also lives in WA.

Glynne - Always good to hear from you. Hope your head is better and that you are able to enjoy Maddie.

Last edited by maryea; 10-17-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Gayle, the sleep number bed has a remote control that you can use to increase or decrease the firmness of your side of the bed. In the beginning, we were always changing our numbers and it took a couple weeks to settle on what number works best for you. Mine is set on 70, but occasionally if I'm uncomfortable I will change it to 65 or 75. I sometimes forget that it's a sleep number mattress. It just feels like a regular mattress to me.

Deelou, you were close to my area when you were in Ohio. It is a pretty time of year, but then there's all those leaves to rake up, and cold winter weather moving in behind it. Good thing you went back to FL. LOL

Mary, I never heard of a fruit fly catcher. One year when I was having Christmas Dinner we had a lot of fruit flies flying around the house. It was a little embarassing with company here. I checked everywhere and couldn't see where they were coming from. The next day they were gone! Maybe they went home with my company! LOL I read online that they can breed in a garbage disposal when there is food debris in there., so I put some baking soda and vinegar down the garbage disposal and ran it really well and haven't had any since. DH has a habit of pushing things down there but not running the disposal, or not running it long enough. Now I make sure I run it until there is no more noise indicating all the food particles are gone, and I also use the baking soda and vinegar once in a while.

Tam Tam, I hope your daughter-in-law feels better soon and they don't find anything serious.

Has anyone heard from Lynn, and how she's doing after her surgery?

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-18-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #96  

Today we went to our gd (5)'s first soccer game. This is Princess Claire for those who remember her. She is very enthusiastic about sports. Also takes ballet but prefers sports and is looking forward to basketball already. Her team didn't win...would have tied except they made two goals for the other team! At this age it's all about having fun and I don't think they even realized they didn't win. We stopped for fast food on the way home, and then came home to work here at home. Nothing too much though, just daily type stuff.

Wannabe -Since we have these darn fruit flies I am being extra careful about everything..I've heard even a dirty sponge can do it! I do the vinegar/baking soda thing in the kitchen sink about once a month and always before a trip and did it right before we left on our trip. Well, we are slowly catching them in our traps. My son set up a wine trap today and he has trapped three, my vinegar traps only have caught one in each, and the trap I bought (a little plastic apple in which I poured the solution which I'm sure is just vinegar) has won the trap competition as it has trapped a whole bunch of them. Once they enter it has a tiny passway for them to go through and many just get caught there (or stay there at least) and I then put the cap on and give it a good shake and down into the vinegar they go. But there are still several that just hang out on the outside so I will keep it up until I don't see anymore. I kill all I can get too but they are fast. The good thing is that so far they haven't gotten into anything else.

Last I heard Lynn was in pain but otherwise ok. Lynn, when you can let us know how you are. Hope you are much better by now.

This group isn't very active these days. Hi to everyone I've missed and who may be lurking but not posting.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #97  

No Fruit flies here, but something keeps giving me bites on my legs when I'm in the garden - itches lots. Wish I had traps for those critters.

You did the same with the old laundry room as we did. It is now a pantry with the microwave and room for those items that are rarely used but needed when family gathers.

The trip to the woods was such a beautiful time!!! DH and DD and I laughed lots, remembered many trips when we used to camp and fish in the area with some still in diapers, and when I would be the only woman fishing in area that now cheats by counting on horses to get them to the good fishing.

Lots of crunchy veggies and hard boiled eggs with pickles got us thru one of the days with a stop at our favorite real Seafood place for the best fried oysters ever.

Hope any in pain have a good day today.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #98  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

It has been a nice sunny day again today ~ nice temperature in the 70's.

Had a slight headache when I got up this morning, but a hot shower ~ steamed out my head (unstuffed my nose) and thankfully it left.

I started out eating ok, but then things went south. I was feeling anxious and guess I let old habits take over. Then, I felt bummed because I ate “wrong” and knew I was doing it and did it anyway.

The anxiety is coming from dreading to some extent a family gathering coming up in December. With my husband's brother and his kids and their families, and our kids and their families. There are several different issues that make the whole thing feel uncomfortable to me. I hardly know the nieces and nephews (have only ever met them once). My kids may or not be there ~ for financial reasons. Only one of my kids has ever met these cousins. My kids don't get along with each other ~ which has caused a lot of hurt feelings. So a gathering with one left out will be sad for me.

My husband and his brother weren't so close in the past, but now that their mom and dad and BIL's wife are gone ~ I think they are trying to not let more time go by with out trying to connect everyone.

We are renting a house and all staying together ~ oh my. I hope my one daughter and her kids are able to go ~ I am comfortable with them. My other daughter is uppity (in the past was always embarrassed by me and acts like she is better than others ~ and that is how I still feel when I am around her) and if she goes it is probably to impress the other people.

Then part of my anxiety is because BIL is a doctor and back along had recommended a book to me ~ that he recommends to his patients ~ about losing weight. I tried it for a few weeks, but it just wasn't right for me. I never told him I didn't keep up with it, and so I dread for him to see me ~ where I have not made any progress after he tried to help me.

I've got a little time before that, so maybe I can make some progress before then. I'll just be glad to have that whole thing over with.

I'm glad for the new ones here. Some of our regular ones don't come around too much anymore ~ miss them, so it is nice to have some new people to get to know.

Hello to everyone ~ Hope you all have had a nice weekend.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #99  

Gayle, I understand how you feel about family get-togethers, especially when some are so judgemental instead of just enjoying the festivities. My BIL got married a few years ago and his wife is a very warm, friendly, woman and makes me feel more comfortable. She is also overweight...maybe it's just "misery loves company."

My brother has passed away, but we didn't get along either. We did not have the same values. He was a heavy drinker, spent all his money on fun and didn't pay his bills. Was dishonest....if you loaned something to him, you knew you would never see it again. I tried so many times to help him but he just took advantage. I always wished I had a big loving family, but it wasn't to be This is probably why I like to have DH's family over for the holidays.

I hope your daughter and family can come and you have an enjoyable time.

{{{Hugs}}}
Old 10-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #100  
jmhwis50

S/C/G: 182/ 145/ 135

Height: 5 ft 3inches

Good morning everyone, it has been a few days since I have posted anything. My back is still bothering me even though we flipped the mattress. I am sleeping better though, looking on the bright side. I helped CJ get ready to go to Boise tomorrow. He and his dad butt heads all the time so I helped him remove his belongings from the house. So sad, hope they find common ground someday. Food plan has been going great. I don't know if I have lost anything since I quit weighing myself awhile back. My clothes are fitting better though. I will be praying for your daughter in law Tam Tam. Hope they find whats wrong soon. I can understand your troubles with such a large family Love2garden. I had 4 kids myself and could never keep anything clean. And everytime I wanted a shower there was never a clean towel. I could never keep enough food around either. If I went grocery shopping it was gone in a day or two. I love the midwest in the fall Deelou. The colors are gorgeous and I love fall weather. That is one of the things I miss not living in the midwest. Hope you have an enjoyable visit with your family. I am looking forward to getting a new mattress and am glad you found one that works so well for you Carol Sue. A well fitting mattress is important. Gayle I also have a daughter that thinks she is better then the rest of the family. I don't know how it happened but it makes for interesting holidays. Sometimes family get together's can be stressful. My kids recently reconnected with their father. I hope they will not expect me to eat dinner with him, he probably feels the same way. I probably missed a bunch of people, if I did I apologize. Hope everyone has a wonderful week

Last edited by jmh6251; 10-20-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #101  

I got up before dh this morning...and that was not early...guess he felt like he needed to get more sleep...he's been feeling and looking tired. He's done a lot of yard work trying to get things sorta caught up before the surgery. I also worked in the yard about an hour pruning some plants, but have more to do. I don't get out there often enough. After church we went to Applebees for lunch. Shared baby back ribs and french fries. I ate the coleslaw as dh didn't want it. We also shared dessert. Ate pretty light rest of day.

Tomorrow is dh's surgery. Today he is on clear liquids, and starts the prep. Ugh! Tonight he takes his antibacterial shower and takes the first antibiotic. I have packed a large purse for me to take along as I plan to spend all day and the first night at least with him if possible.

Judy/Glynne - It is sad when family doesn't get along. This is the beginning of that time of year when family time is esp tested with the upcoming holidays. We have one dd that chooses not to have much to do with us but she does connect now and then. She is coming up here the end of the month...we hope to have one evening together as a family (except for one son who lives in another state) if dh is up to it. Otherwise it is a business trip for her. We all get along for the most part...even though the kids are like two sets and there are 7 years between the sets (12 years between the girls). Of course they will squabble at times when together too long, but when the crunch times come they bond. I guess families are like that. We don't always understand each other but the bond is still there even at times it doesn't always show.

Glynne - I can imagine how you feel about seeing your bil, but the book was just advice and a tool, probably meant to help.....but not everything works for all of us or sometimes it's just not the time. Regardless, remember it is your choice how you use it or not use it. None of his business. I can't tell you how many diet books I have bought and read, some suggested by others, like my dd and though I gain info from all of them, none of them made me lose weight! I have to do that in my own time and my own way. I hope you can relax and enjoy the family time. You are more than your weight and have much to offer your family.

Love2 - I loved hearing how your dh and you had fun and laughed together!!
Good memories to be cherished and brought back to mind help us get through the more difficult parts of life. Hope you find out what's causing the bites. I always feel itchy after working in the yard/garden, not really bites though just itchy.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hey girls. Back from the camp. I'm so tired. It was 7 pm last night before we got back. I had to get up and start work st 620. This week is our ds and his fiancées couple shower. I have a dish to make and 4 desserts. We are decorating Thursday night. I need to go get a bunch of things at Walmart. I made a list and it's a whole page long.
It was a beautiful weekend at the camp. Cool. We had to leave Saturday at 2. My great niece got married. She sings very well. When her dad walked her up the aisle and they got to the groom before he could hand her to her husband to be music came over the speakers in church. It was the bride singing to her dad. She had played the guitar and recorded the song. The name of it was: you can let go now daddy. She changed some of the words to fit their lives. There was not a dry eye in that church. I could see the years rolling down the brides face and her dads also. He was so surprised. She was always a daddy's girl. Very special. The wedding was fun. After we went back to the camp. Our friends cooked for us.
My babies are waking up so I don't have time for personels but I'll try later.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 10-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #103  

Mary, when I first started having to watch my weight, I didn't know anything about dieting and I just ate less. It worked well. Then after I started reading diet books it boggled my mind and I would start of the day on one diet and end up on another. That doesn't work! I was better off when I was eating everything, just less of it and exercisng.

Gayle, if that doctor asks you if you read the book he recommended I would just say "Yes, very informative." If he asks more questions, don't try to explain yourself...change the subject. Like Mary said, it's really none of his business. People who never had a weight problem have no clue what it's like.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-22-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #104  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

I made a post last night ~ thankfully not a long one, but still frustrating when I lost it.

Got some stuff done yesterday ~ was able to cross a couple things off my to do list. Good feeling that.

Working on finishing one of the baby afghans I was working on. It is done except for weaving in the ends of yarn where I changed colors. It turned out pretty, but I don't know that I would make that one again because hiding all those loose ends is tedious. I read something about there being a way to change colors without cutting the yarn every time. If I can figure out how that is done, then maybe I would do this one again. The baby it is for has been born, so I want to get it done and delivered.

Carol Sue ~ that doctor is my brother-in-law. He recommended the book trying to be helpful because he cares about my well being. And, he does know what it is like to struggle with weight. He shared with me that he has been struggling with it since he was a kid. I never knew ~ because he never looked overweight to me. It is because he works hard at keeping it under control. He and my husband are very self disciplined people. That is both admirable and frustrating all at the same time. I am glad for them that they have such self control. I unfortunately am not like them. Oh well ~ I do the best I can ~ that is all I can do. He probably wouldn't say anything to me about it, it is just me worrying like I do.

Cajun ~ I don't doubt that you are tired ~ your weekends make me tired just reading about them ~ LOL.

Mary ~ how did it go with Joe's surgery? Hope all went well for him.

Judy ~ glad you slept better ~ sorry your back is still bothering.

Love2garden ~ sounds like your trip to the woods was nice.

Tam Tam ~ any news about your daughter-in-law?

Woke up early again ~ Grrrrr. I don't mind waking up and having to go to the bathroom if it is like 2 or 3 in the morning, because usually I can go back to sleep then. But when I wake up and it is 4 or 5, it seems I just can't fall back asleep. Toss and turn, so I just get up. Don't want to get up that early ~ want to sleep longer ~ oh well.

Hope you all have a good day.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #105  

Family get-togethers can be good, or they can be a pain in the neck. No mattress can help that kind of "pain".

Thank goodness our kids all get along, but part may be because I hate bickering and would never let it get going when I was around. Stopped at least a bit of it. Hopefully the practice of getting along helped the upper 3 grow so close they even went on group dates.

Still, the exhaustion I feel when I'm with a noisy group for very long is the biggest problem for me. Must be age, because I used to love it and our house was meeting place for kids for years. Ran into one of those kids, now in his 50's, just this week. He moved back here to be with his dad. Delighted to see him and amazed he recognized us.

Wish I could still do needle work and sewing clothes. Arthritis has hands so that is just not possible. Used to sew all my clothes and for the 3 girls just as Mom did for me and my sister.

Waking up during the night? Isn't that normal? Celebrate when any of us can go back to sleep.
Closed Thread