Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #136  
jmhwis50

S/C/G: 182/ 145/ 135

Height: 5 ft 3inches

Good afternoon ladies, it is truly a rotten day today weather wise. I feel crummy because I seem to be coming down with the crud. I ache all over and have developed a cough. Dh is a little glum because he was going to go hiking with his buddies and it was cancelled due to a family emergency. I'm glad to hear your dh is healing Mary. Hopefully it won't take him long to completely heal. I stay home alot since retiring in April. There really isn't many places to go. Sometimes though, I walk the Boardwalk down by the Waterfront an watch the boats. I hope the lubrication shots continue to help with your knee love2garden. I was able to ignore the m and m's, but my friend made me an Apple Crisp and I did eat a bite of that. Oh it was good!! Probably because I haven't had sugar in a while. This is the tricky part of the season, around the holidays. If I can get thru this I will be happy. I don't know when and if dh will reconcile to the fact that our youngest daughter has a busy life. I don't think there is anything i can do about it anyway. I have been doing well on my eating plan so far except for the piece of Apple Crisp, but that shouldn't make that much of a difference. As long as I feed the rest of it to DH. LOL He's the kind that can eat anything and he never gains weight. Talk soon;
Old 11-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #137  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Kind of chilly here this morning ~ DH said with the wind blowing, the low temp felt like freezing.

Maybe feeling a little less blue. Got moving and have done a couple little projects. Accomplishing something always makes me feel better.

A box covering project, made a pot of chili.

I've finished the couple of baby afghans I was working on. Now have picked up the crocheted dish cloths again.

I need to do something with my hands. I am having such a struggle with the food. Eating is way out of control and weight is up ~ which makes me feel bummed. It is a vicious cycle. The only good thing I guess is that even though the weight is up from what it was ~ I am kind of maintaining at that level.

Today has seemed so weird ~ with the time change. It felt later all day than it was, and like I had been awake for hours and hours. One of the time changes ~ spring or fall ~ I never can remember which ~ my body/system seems to like better. I haven't been sleeping very well, so I am hoping that this fall back is the one my body likes better.

Hope you all have had a good weekend. Will get around to the personals tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #138  

Height: 5' 2"

Gayle, it IS different with the time change! I woke up and discovered that it was far earlier than usual, but then I actually could watch the dark night become day as I read in front room with blinds open.

How much better I feel. Doesn't make sense, but I know it is true.

I play computer games while DH watches TV in evenings to keep my hands out of food. Since I enjoy them, enjoy sitting near him, it works.

jmh, hope the sick feeling is short and you recover to enjoy your retirement. Walking the boardwalk sounds very good to me. Wish I were able to do that, too.

Asthma keeps me from walking in winter, but yesterday was in upper 40's so DH and I went for walk in neighborhood. How much I enjoy the fall colors and simply being outside.

Last night's first really heavy frost has the beautiful orange Dahlias looking droopy. So grateful for the pots full of pansies in blue, shades of yellow and purple. They will perk up with the sun and relieve the dying look of the other plants.

Taking time to do what is really important in life and enjoying retirement.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Gayle, when I first retired, I was still getting up at 5AM for the longest time. It has just been recently that I'm able to fall back to sleep until maybe 7 or 8. Now with the time change, I'm first wakening at 4AM. But I get tired and go to bed early, too. I usually started work at 7AM and sometimes at 5AM, so early to bed, early to rise was my lifestyle. I don't think it made me healthy, wealthy or wise. LOL

I too am struggling with the food, and my blood sugar as well as my weight. I keep trying though, thinking that eventually, something will click.

Judy, I don't eat much sugar now either, since I have been diagnosed with diabetes. I made an apple pie for DH last week. It's the first time I've done it from scratch so I had to taste it to see how it turned out. It was delicious, so I will save that recipe for the future. DH's son moved into a house that has apple trees, so we will be getting apples from him now.

love2garden, this morning our grass was covered with white but it has melted off now. I don't know if it was frost, or if we got a bit of snow overnight. It's too soon for snow to start, but I know they've had it in other states. My flowers have been gone for a while now.

Mary, I'm glad to hear that DH is getting up and about. Sounds like he's healing nicely.

My relationship was strained with my mother in the few years before she died. I was dating DH and she didn't approve of him because he was separated, but not yet divorced when we started dating. If she had given him a chance she would have realized his intentions were good. Looking back, I wish I had spent more time with her even though she did not want me bringing him around. But I was holding out for her acceptance of him and didn't spend as much time with her as I should have. I feel guilty about that to this day. I handled it wrong. I hope other people's kids realize it before it's too late.

I can't get back to tracking either. I did it faithfully for 6 months and I think it really helped me, but I thought I could get along without it. So far the leftover Halloween candy has only tempted me once and I ate 1 miniature Kit Kat and 1 miniature Peanut Butter Cup. DH is eating the rest. He has it put away somewhere and I'm not asking where!!! LOL
Old 11-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #140  

Height: 5'3"

Its a wet dripping darkish morning here in the NW, about 54 degrees right now at almost 11 am. I'm sitting here drinking my breakfast mocha frappe and listening to a video as I type. I haven't yet done some of the first of the month budgeting stuff so today is the day for that. My scalp and ears are no better so I called the doc for advice, left message so hopefully will hear from them today. Otherwise it's a pretty easy day...just daily housework and will go to CU and perhaps out for manicure. Need haircut too but not sure I want to be out that long.

I am in bed a long time over night but I don't sleep the whole time. I wake and even get up frequently but go back to bed and sleep if I can off and on. Many nights I only actually sleep 3-5 hours but I'd say I average about 6 overall but even that is broken up. I've always been this way but much more so now. When I first retired I slept really well...it was broken up cause I had to get up at least once but I would go right back to sleep. Now it really varies. If I go only 3 hours for several nights I feel really tired, but then I'll have a night where I get 6 or even more and that's how I make it, I guess.

Wannabe - I'm sorry that you have the sad memory of your last time with your mom. I'm sure she has forgiven you. Moms are that way. You did better than me with the candy...last night I ate all 6 of the small candy bars. And wasn't sorry a bit...they tasted so good, I wished (at the moment) that I had more. Now I'm glad I don't!

Love - Glad you're feeling better with the time change! You know that's exactly what I'd like to do at Halloween...just turn off lights and stay in the family room (back of our house) and escape it all. But dh doesn't want the porch light turned off...it is a security light that turns on with the darkness and off in the am. Why we can't interrupt that schedule just once a year is beyond me! I do think the kids are cute but I am not into the holiday really.

Glynne - I hope the time change helps you too. I try to keep my hands busy too. On the computer of course but also in the evenings (the worst time for me eating!) I use my ipad to play games and read while watching tv.

Judy - GFY on eating well right through the evil candy holiday! I hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #141  
Want to feel better

Good evening GG's,

I've had a little better day eating wise today. But evening is here ~ one of my hardest times to resist stuff. Sometimes, doing some crocheting will help ~ then other times, seems like nothing deters me.

Got a few little things done. I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow and forgot until too late to be able to call and ask them if there is an alternate way to get to them. There is construction on the interstate near there and I don't know if I will be able to get there the way I usually do.

Mary ~ hope the dr can help with something to make your scalp feel better. Sorry about your sleep difficulties ~ that is frustrating. Does the time change (fall back) help or make it worse? How is Joe doing?

Carol Sue ~ as Mary said ~ sorry for the sad feelings you have of the last while with your mom. You did great with the left over Halloween candy at your house. I did not do so well. We bought a bag that had all kinds of tootsie rolls in it. I really don't like them all that much, but that didn't stop me. When I get in one of those moods of wanting to just stuff what ever in ~ stuff goes in even though I don't particularly like it.

Love2garden ~ glad the time change agrees with you. Nice that you got to enjoy being outside and a walk and got to enjoy the fall colors.

Judy ~ hope you are feeling better and that that “crud” doesn't get you too badly. Your walk on the boardwalk by the boats sounds like a really nice pleasant scenic walk.

Mugwump ~ how is it going with the South Beach thing? Did you find another location for the bowl of left over Halloween candy so it doesn't mess you up?

Donna ~ hope your cold is better. How are Samson and Grannymom doing? Are you working on any new projects?

Cajun ~ did you have another busy weekend? Did you finally get some cooler weather?

Hello Tam Tam. And hello to others ~ I know I've missed someone.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #142  

Strange thing, with my new determination to build better health, last night I opened the cabinet with treats, . . . saw choc chip cookies DH bought . . . then I shut the door and felt fine without taking one!!!! Have not done that often and feel so good about it.

Garden peppers scrambled with eggs were delicious for breakfast with an orange and slice whole grain bread. Also skim milk. Big breakfasts seem to help me stay without food thoughts for much longer.

Today I rest the leg with the shot so it can do it's job to lubricate the knee joint. Laundry with machines is easy to do and little ironing needed. Later some reconcile bank account and finish one of 3 books I've started.

Hope each of you are doing well. Sunny and getting really nice outside. DH mulching leaves in back yard, leaving the mulch to nourish the tree and it looks pretty, too.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #143  
Jacksonville, FL

Hanging in here....reading...not much to say. Joined theY and have been going three times a week for two weeks, weight the same...cooler...love reading what's up even though I don't say much...
Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #144  

Got a manicure and a haircut this afternoon, and picked up a few groceries. Will be starting dinner soon...baked tilapia, sliced tomatoes and a broccoli salad.

Its been another wet cool day, I don't mind the coolness, feels good to me but I hear people saying it's cold. Well, they don't have my internal heater I guess. I am rarely cold.

Deelou - GFY on joining the Y. Our son belongs and really likes it. My dd used to go there too as at the time she practically lived next door.

Love - Your breakfast sounds good...don't know why I don't eat eggs more often. Sounds like you had a restful day. Hope your leg (knee?) is feeling better.

Glynne - Were you able to make your doctor appt on time? I missed out on a grandson's birth due to lots of construction one time! It was in an rather unfamiliar area anyway and with the construction I didn't know how to go. Got there right after he was born. I've been in on the delivery for 4, the others I missed were one that was cesarean and only daddy went in, I missed another local one due to her coming too fast, and the rest were out of state and I couldn't get there. Dh is doing fine...much better than what doc told us to expect even. I know all the prayers helped plus he's very strong for his age. About eating, Glynne, as you know evenings are the worst for me too, but sometimes late afternoon. I'm really having trouble getting back into diet mode!

Everyone else, hello, hope you're having a good day...where are you? Stop in when you can.

Last edited by maryea; 11-04-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #145  

One time I was on my way to the hospital to bring DH home and there was a landslide and the road was closed. I called DH and he told me a different way to go but I wasn't real familiar with it. Luckily, my step daughter was with me. We got part way there and then didn't know where to go. We called DH and it just so happened a nurse was in his room and she got on the phone and gave us turn by turn instructions. That was before we got a GPS. If it was just a visit I could have turned around and went home, but he was being discharged and needed a ride.

Mary, I used to be always warm for years. I only own 2 sweaters, and usually wear 3/4 length sleeves instead of long sleeves. If I was cold, I knew everyone else in the room was freezing. Now for the past year, I've been really cold. Chilled to the bone. I got my thyroid checked and the doctor says it's in the good range, but I think it's borderline. Not bad enough for meds. I don't know what I'll do when winter actually gets here. Right now I am sitting here with a heavy robe on, and I'm still shivering. I'm drinking more coffee than ever before, always trying to get warm.

I love eggs. I eat them every day. Last time I had my cholesterol checked it was 125, so the eggs aren't hurting my cholesterol. My cardiologist doesn't know how many of them I eat though, he would still probably tell me to cut back. You only live once, and I like eggs for breakfast.

Hey Donna! How are you feeling with your cold? I hope you're all better. Now that you're retired you are supposed to have MORE time to post here, not less! LOL Actually, I'm glad you have lots of things to do to keep you busy. There are always all those things you didn't have time for when you worked.

Deelou, I went to the Y when I was in my 20's. Back then I didn't need to lose weight, but exercise is always good for you. I went with a group of friends and we had a good time. They had an aerobics class they called "Slimnastics."

Love2garden- Good for you on passing up the cookies. Every time you can do that it makes you stronger for the next time. I always tell myself they aren't as good as they look, especially if they are store-bought!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #146  

Carol Sue, GPS is a help, but it can send us up one-way-streets the wrong way, seriously. A son of a friend is in jail in a small town from just that situation.
Check signs to be sure.

Being cold? As I add extra exercise including strength exercises, I go longer periods of time sitting without being cold. Hopefully, my metabolism is becoming more normal.

One time our family doctor told me I could scrub the huge kitchen floor and use less calories that my husband does simply walking across it!!!

One more benefit from the exercise I've added this year, beginning in March, I'm sleeping so much better. Some days I simply march in place during a commercial, or walk for 10 minutes even in the house to get myself warm, or to simply get the stiffness out of my joints.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #147  
Want to feel better

Good afternoon GG's,

It is a drippy dreary day here today. 70* out. I need to run some errands, but will wait until another day when hopefully it is sunny and nice out.

Don't know why, but a dreary day makes me feel sleepy.

I do think that the time change (fall back) makes me feel better.

Had a stupid headache in the evening and it was still there this morning. Grrrrr. Just a tiny twinge now ~ hope it doesn't come back. I used to have them ~ bad ones ~ when my kids were little. Then after they were grown and gone ~ I went for a good long time and hardly had them anymore. I think having them or not having them was related to my hormones. Sometimes I think I get them now ~ weather or allergy related. Being stuffed up seems to go along with them. Thankfully they are not as bad as the ones I had when I was younger. But when I get them, I don't feel like doing much.

Been crocheting ~ another baby afghan. This one for my brother's new little baby.

Love2garden ~ GPS are pretty good, but not foolproof as you say. I have had it one time take me hours out of my way. I like having good old fashioned maps along with the GPS and I like looking at stuff on Mapquest too. I will have to try your suggestion of marching in place ~ I have heard that mentioned before, but keep forgetting about it. I also sometimes walk in the house. Like you ~ if I can move every little while, it helps me to not be so stiff. Problem is, I get involved in something and the time slips right by me. Great job resisting those cookies.

Carol Sue ~ My mom is like you ~ she used to always be hot, but now-a-days she seems to always feel cold and wears stuff in layers. Too bad that didn't happen when Dad was still living. They were always battling over the heat/cold. She would be down to the last shirt and he would have on a wool sweater and a quilted flannel jacket. One of my friends eats eggs every day. She was a diabetic, but the way of eating she has been doing ~ all of her numbers (sugars and cholesterol) are back to normal and have stayed there. Her doctor took diabetes off her list of medical problems and she was able to stop some of her meds. She stays away from bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and wheat things. She and her husband eat eggs, meat, fish, chicken, fruits and vegetables. They have done awesome on that way of eating. She gave me a lot of guidance and I was eating like her for a while ~ when I eat like her, I lose weight. I am struggling right now ~ have gotten off track ~ need to get back down to business.

Mary ~ I was able to get to the Doctor's appointment on time. I put the addresses in mapquest and found a back way there. There was construction on that route that I didn't know about, but it turned out ok ~ I got there with time to spare. Which worked out well ~ a rare occurance ~ they took me in 15 minutes before my appointment time ~ I was done and out of there by the time my appointment was scheduled for. Glad that Joe is doing well. Hang in there with the evening snacking difficulties. One day at a time ~ each day is a new day to try again.

Deelou ~ glad you popped in to say hi. Good for you ~ joining the “Y”, and that the weight is not going up.

Judy ~ hope you are feeling better.

How about you Donna ~ is your cold better?

Hello Mugwump and Tam Tam.

Guess I will get back to the crocheting. Hope you all are having a good day.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #148  

It's a quite day here, and not so drippy outside. I plan to go out for a few items I forgot yesterday and maybe look at phones. Not sure I should as there is nothing wrong with my current phone and now that I'm out of contract the monthly payment is great, but I do like a new toy.. I've go my eye on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or 4...probably 3 as it's cheaper. I usually stay one behind the newest.

Dh is doing fine, he has had some drainage from his incision last couple days but doesn't look infected and seems to be normal to me. I talked to the surgeon's nurse just in case and she agreed. I just washed the binder yesterday so was disappointed to see more drainage today, but I think it appeared to be less so hopefully will stop soon.

Dinner tonight is Smothered hamburgers (covered with sauteed onions and mushrooms) and whatever other veggie I can scrounge up.

Glynne - Glad you made your doctor's appt on time. Yes, I thank God for new beginnings!

Love - I do that...walking in place during commercials and while microwave is running etc. Even more vigorous aerobics sometimes. I realized the other day that I haven't done this as much recently. I also have PT exercises I usually do for my neck, back and shoulder and I haven't been doing them as well or as much too, so I need to get back to all that since we are not going to the gym these days. We suspended the whole month of Nov. Dh can walk and lift light weights per doc so we might get back sooner than expected though. We really like our GPS, since we travel kinda frequently it really has helped, but you're right it can really screw you up sometimes. It has led us to empty fields.

Wannabe - My dh is almost always cold...so we are total opposite of most couples. He turns the thermostat up, I turn it down. He finally allowed me to use a bedside fan at night, but I turn it so it's aimed at my feet to prevent it from blowing on him. When I have a hot flash I have to lean my head way over to feel it and of course, my legs are often sticking out. Even then he has a blanket I fold for just his side and he covers his head! Although now the hot flashes are not as frequent and usually not so intense I just always feel so warm. And I guess because he's an island boy he can't adjust to cooler weather or even cool drafts even though he's lived in extreme cold when he had to...KS, Greenland. Even in Seattle, he worked for Boeing and it was extremely cold on the flight line where he had to work night shift. I remember I bought him a red jumpsuit to keep him warm. For a while there (about 5 years ago) after working outside in cool weather or if a draft blew through, he'd break out even. He's done and suffered so much for me and the kids, I try to accommodation him all I can. I feel a little selfish about the fan. I don't think he realized how long I'd need it. So I hope I can do with out it soon but it helps me so much.

Last edited by maryea; 11-05-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #149  

Lovetogarden, we don't use our GPS too often because we usually go to the same places and know the way, and also an alternate route. It is kept in the trunk, and every time we use it I have to figure it out again. But it has helped me find some places like when I have to go to a specialist for something.

Gayle, I'm sorry to hear about your headaches. I should probably knock on wood, but I never get headaches. Never did all my life. Sometimes I will get some sinus pain across my forehead and the only thing that helps for that is sinus meds, not headache meds. I haven't even had that for years. DH wakes up during the night with headaches across the back of his head into his neck area. I think his pillows need to be adjusted.

We have an elderly neighbor who is so cold all the time she won't even let her DH put the air condition on in the summer. We see their windows open even on the hottest summer days, and if you go over there, she is sitting with a sweater on and an afghan over her lap and legs. I sure hope I'm not getting like that. Being cold is terrible, but so it being hot.

Mary, I never actually had hot flashes, I was just warmer than everyone else. I haven't worn flannel nightgowns since I turned 40. Most of my nightclothes are either sleeveless or short sleeves. Since I recently started being so cold I'm now wearing a tee shirt underneath. You know, a lot of people end up with separate bedrooms over things like hot and cold. In my house, there's nowhere else to go but the couch. LOL

I have trouble working in the yard in the summer because my head sweats really bad in the heat. Not the rest of my body, just my head. The sweat runs in my eyes and burns and I can't see. I have to have something to keep wiping my face.

DH used to always be hot, but since he started taking Aspirin every day he's not as hot. I guess it thins his blood. Before retirement he worked in a warehouse that was cold, and he loved it. He doesn't even own a winter coat. Just a jacket that has a bit of a quilted lining. No hat. No gloves. Brrrrrrrr We get some pretty cold weather in the winter.

Haven't heard from Cajun for a while. Seems that some people must have found another place to post.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #150  

Hi everyone! We just got home ...went to New Seasons for ground beef and a few other things, then to Costco for gas and a few other things...LOL there are always those "few other things." I looked at the phones and noted the deal they have, will use it at AT&T to bargain with, worked last time.

Wannabe - I too hardly have any winter clothing. I wear short sleeves most of the time and go without a jacket/coat until deep into winter usually. From my 60s until about 2 years ago, I never wore long sleeves, now I can wear light material in long sleeves occasionally, but still can't stand a sweater or jacket. I gave up wearing PJs long ago, I wear knee length nightgowns all the time, most are sleeveless, some short sleeve. Sometimes the short sleeve ones get too warm even. Only reason I dont go to short PJs is that the shorts feel too binding on me when I'm in bed. I also can't stand flannel, too warm. In summer I don't often wear shorts due to not feeling I look good in them but have switched to light fabric capris. I can stand long pants in cooler weather usually unless I get a really intense hotflash. In my early to mid 60s it was horrible! Felt like I was drowning in heat and sweat! At that time dh didn't think he could stand a fan in the room and I felt like I was dying sometimes. I'd get up and walk around the house trying to cool down before going back to bed. I don't think we had AC then but really when I have a hot flash it doesn't matter what the temp around me is very much, I still get them although I do notice if the temp around me is cooler or cold I get them less. Cool/cold air blowing directly on me is the best thing! I used to get chills after the heat but not so much now. I THINK when my bs is high I notice them more and that may have been part of the problem all along, not sure. I did not have the diagnosis of diabetes then. The only part of me that can get cold is my feet. It's funny, they can be really cold and the rest of me is burning up! In the winter I go to bed with socks but then soon quickly warm up too much and kick them off. In the morning when making the bed there are all these lumps where my socks are, sometimes more than one pair if I haven't kept up with them. LOL I've never heard of men having this problem but I do know that hot flashes and night sweats can be caused by other things. Once my doc said mine couldn't be menopause at my age, and I asked him well what else could it me, and he didn't answer. I know TB is one but I know I don't have that. Later I kinda figured out the bs angle myself.
My gyn said some women have them a very long time. I'm 71 and they just started getting less frequent and less intense a few years ago.
Closed Thread