Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #136  

Height: 5'3"

Dh wasn't feeling well last night. No fever but coughing a little and rough feeling in his throat and achy. I listened to his lungs and they sounded bad! He has hx of pneumonia and working with asbestos so I try to keep an eye on him that way. He took some tylenol before bed and this morning he says he feels fine and is outside working! I told him not to wear himself out. Haven't had a chance to check his lungs yet today as he was up and about before me. What a guy! Rarely does anything keep him down long. I'm seriously wondering whether it could be the chemicals Ive been spraying in the house for fleas. I was so concerned about fleas with the dog that perhaps I overdid it. We also spray her with cologne after her daily damp towel rub but we don't use very much of that, but I have been spraying the sofas and floor areas she lays on every time she gets up. She lays in a new place every time, so she's not likely to have lain on it when it was damp with spray but still I'm sure the chemical is in the air somewhat. I could smell it all day yesterday and had a little headache myself. So I aired out the house last night and don't notice it today. Glad I didn't kill anyone

Dinner last night was a chicken and veggie stir-fry and rice. Dh didn't eat all his serving but did pretty well considering he wasn't feeling well.

Today is my weekly cleaning day and I'm off to a good start but still much to do.

Cajun - You long for fall, I want summer to last longer. But where you are, I can understand your longing for cooler weather.

Karen3 - Yes bacon sundae...LOL..don't knock it til you've tried it! \

Hello to all I missed, Karen31, prayers continuing, think of you so often.

Last edited by maryea; 08-14-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Howdy all.....Early dinner tonight come on down....I finished up the peaches with a Splenda pie and tossed a meatloaf in the oven. Early dinner because not only Dash doesn't do oven well but we don't either. Ready to start chewing the kitchen cabinets.

I have been hearing "One Day at a Time" being sung in my head for the past few weeks. Karen found a YouTube site and I listened to all of them. It is really weird when suddenly you match the sound you remember to an artist. Cristy Lane. Gave me chills.......She had a Huge no even bigger Afro.....what's that 70's?

I am so ticked off. I ordered season 2 and season 3 from Amazon, Season 3 came in the 2-3 days and season 2 is just being shipped a week later. First time I have had a problem. gesh!

Web News now has an article about our red tide. It's about 80 mils long and just off shore. Yuck. But the picture they posted of the red tide has mountains in the background. Florida????? If we get a West tide it will be awful. BBL k3
Old 08-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Happ Friday y'all. I look forward to weekends. No work. We are not camping this weekend. Dh is going help the owner of our hunting club build a spray rig to spray roads and trails in the club. The gear box went out on our shredder so he took that apart to get parts to fix. Oldest ds's steering went out on his lawn mower. So going to help him fix that. While he's doing all that I'm going shopping. Oldest ds's gf is making me a Christmas wreath and all the Christmas stuff is out at hobby lobby. While shopping I'm going to get a few things for the wedding. We are supposed to have a cookout at our house Saturday night for my sister and my moms birthday. We will be cooking fish. Y'all know what that means. Yep another cake. Hmm I'm thinking lemon this time. I hate lemon cake. Lol.
I finally got back to exercising. I jog on mini trampoline, doing floor exercises and go for a walk. It makes me feel prett good.

K3 I saw something like that on the news but didn't really listen? What a red tide? What is a west tide? Hmm I might google that.

Mary is dh still feeling bad? By the way I had to question the bacon sundae. I love bacon. I love ice cream but put together hmm I don't know......

Karen31 you are in my thought and prayers.

My pea brain don't remember what was posted on the last page and I don't have time to go back so I'll be back later.

Hi all.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 08-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #139  

Sorry Cajun I meant a west wind. Red Tide is an algea bloom with toxic results. Fish die and smells so bad that it effects people/breathing
Old 08-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #140  

K3. That sounds horrible. We have something like that. They call in the dead zone. It happens every year where thst part of the gulf coast is depleted if oxygen and there is no seafood. It could be miles long.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #141  

Probably the same thing. The odor isn't just the fish kill but the algea it's self is so toxic. Today's report is it's 10 miles longer at 90 miles. It is something we are just waiting to happen. Good side of hurricanes is they stir this garbage up.

I keep says something about my bridge playing. I play in games sanctioned by the American Contract Bridge Assoc. The ACBL sanctions games world wide. This isn't social tea party bridge, but intense completion. The games this week are pitted against most of the clubs in Fl. Love it and Hate it. It is a grand game if you don't weaken.

Off to the bridge table BBL k3
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #142  

Well you're doing well. Have fun.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #143  

Got up to a note from dh saying he'd gone fishing. So it's me and the dog again.

So far I haven't done anything constructive. but plan to get busy soon. Need to go out and get some things for dinner but may just text dh the grocery list since he's already out. Last night I made a Frito Pie which is like a taco casserole. It was ok...I used to have a better recipe..can't imagine what was different about it but others I've tried, including the one I used last night, are not the same. I put lettuce on top and along with the tomato sauce in the recipe, I called it a complete meal. I was tired and it was an easy meal.

Tonight I'm planning on fixing Ayam Pongteh which is chicken, potatoes, mushroom braised in bean paste. I will serve it with rice. I have two recipes for this and this will be my first time to use the second one which is a little different. I hope its just as good.

Karen3/Cajun3 - We get something called Red Tide here at times and can't dig for clams during that time as they are poisonous. Here's quote I found online:
It's some sort of plankton overgrowth in the sea, bivalves are filter-feeders and while the overgrowth doesn't affect them, it has an affect on US should we eat the filter-feeders. It results in Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning. I was given the ultimate view of a red tide a few years ago: the sea actually appeared to be blood-red, as if a whale slaughter had happened. It was from the infected plankton, it was vivid, and pretty; oysters, clams, muscles, barnacles and periwinkles, abalone (shh), none of it was edible because of the red tide.

P.S.P. can kill, and quickly. Please be careful when harvesting or culling shellfish and filter-feeders, and doubly so in months without the letter "R" in them: that's when P.S.P. issues are the most likely to strike the Coast.

Me again...we have not gone clamming in several years but we do crab and I think this is why we started crabbing only in months with an R. I didn't know that though until I read this, I had just been told the crabbing was better then. I don't live near the coast so don't know about the smell etc. Sounds like yours is much worse.

If you like combinations like salty and sweet like me you might like a bacon sundae. That's why I like it.

Last edited by maryea; 08-15-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #144  

Excerpt from an article on red tides and crabs..I was curious and thought I'd share. Sounds like we are pretty safe with the crabs.

Crabs and Red Tides
Unlike other animals, crabs aren't directly affected by red tides. This is because they aren't filter feeders. Red tides produce algae that can build up massive amounts of toxins in the water. Filter feeding animals, such as oysters, clams, mussels and some fish, filter tons of water and develop concentrations of these toxins. However, because red tides can kill the animals that crabs eat, they may suffer starvation. Also, red tides remove many nutrients and oxygen from water that can also affect crabs.

Other Information
Because crabs don't filter feed and can't build up high concentrations of toxins, they're usually safe for humans to eat -- even when there is a red tide. Crab fisheries can still experience a slowdown in sales because of the negative stigma attached to red tides. Red tides can harm humans, because the toxins that shellfish can absorb can cause deadly paralysis in humans. Take every precaution when consuming seafood when a red tide has been discovered.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8704632_do-...ect-crabs.html
Old 08-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, there's a restaurant near us that just started serving a bacon sundae. I've never tried it as I'm not much on eating bacon. They came out with bacon cupcakes a while back. They're starting to add bacon to everything!

DH must be feeling better if he went fishing. I'm glad to hear that. He's had some issues lately, hasn't he.

Does the dog actually have fleas or are you just using preventive measures? We wash our dog with original blue Dawn dishwashing liquid and it keeps the fleas away. Be careful inhaling that spray stuff.

Cajun, I'm glad you like your DIL-to-be. Keep up the good work on that exercising! Your parties always sound like so much fun. I lead a very boring life compared to you.

Bobbi, I hope you are feeling better and things are going well with your grandson.

I finally bought a Yogurt Maker at Goodwill. Older one, but brand new in the box. I mainly liked the nice jars and lids that came with it. A woman on another board talked me into making yogurt with full fat milk. That was a mistake. I didn't like it, so I will be back to the skim milk yogurt again next time. Now I'm getting interested in making something called Quark. It's something like a cross between yogurt and cream cheese. I don't know if I will be able to make it though because you need buttermilk with active cultures in it, or freeze dried starter, of which I can find neither. If not I'll have to stick with my yogurt cheese.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #146  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Thursday evening ~ I had hoped to get each of you addressed tonight, but the time didn't turn out like I thought it would.

Busy, busy, busy. School starts on the 25th so maybe things will slow down a little then. Maddie will only be here in the afternoons then.

Maddie wasn't here today ~ I got some mending and such done. Love when I feel like I have accomplished something with my day.

Sara and the kids were here this evening. I love it when they stop by. We don't get to see them as much anymore. She has chosen to spend most of her free time with her ex. I suppose it is good that they try to get along for the kids sake, but couldn't she do that without spending so much time with him? So, her showing up here ~ means that things weren't probably very pleasant over at her house. HER house ~ stupid jerk ~ she let him in and when it gets unpleasant ~ guess who leaves ~ not him. Grrrrrrr. I just have to try real hard to hold my tongue and pray a lot. Maybe I need to call out the "posse" ~ ladies get those rolling pins ready.

Had a nice visit today with a former coworker who had moved last August back up north where she was originally from. She was down here visiting her daughter. So glad she got in touch with me and we got a chance to visit.

Friday evening ~ Maddie wasn't with us again today. Went with daddy to visit his parents. When she comes back from spending time with that group, she has even more “attitiude” and is way more sassy. Oh, well, we just have to love her through it.

Another long day ~ dr's appointments and errands. Walmart had several tables and shelves of marked down stuff. DH can't help himself when a bargin might be had. He spent a lot of time sorting through that stuff, but did find some good stuff. Made me forgive him for his irritating ways when he thought of me ~ he'd found some skeins of yarn and put in the cart. I looked at the stuff too, but don't have the patience for it like he does.

Hopefully I will get to those personals tomorrow.

Hope you all are doing well. Thoughts and prayers for all those needing some.

Last edited by glynne; 08-15-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #147  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, Goldens!

First, let me thank you for all your good wishes insofar as me winning Powerball (NOT!)... oh, my, wouldn't that be something? However, two people in CO did win... one won the Powerball and another, closer in location to me, won a million in the lottery. You have to buy to play, so that leaves me out... The big winner’s picture was in the paper, and he and his family look very worthy… salt of the earth types.

Mary – has your weight stabilized yet with the new meds? Frustrating, I’m sure! And, yes, I did put in 3 hours last Monday at the office, and it was fine. I got a lot done, and I don’t think I’ll need to go back for a while. It helped that the office was closed, so no phones, walk-ins, or appointments… BIG help! Haha, no, I’m saving all that money I made for something shiny! Glad your DH is better… no more pneumonia scare, I hope? And thank you for the plankton information… that was really interesting!

KarenFL – my brother brought a big box of Palisade peaches to us on Tuesday. I took a few for myself and few for the neighbors… SO GOOD. You have to eat them over the sink, because they’re so juicy! SO GOOD! Will that red tide go away or is it something you’ll have forever now? I saw pictures (Japan, maybe?) where the water is green and thick (not shaded green but GREEN) from all the algae, and everyone is still swimming in it! EIUUUU

Rosey – how did you avoid dumping that nice dinner into the garbage (or over his head)? I would have been SO testy if I’d put in that kind of effort, just to have Mr. CP decide to take a nap instead! It’s such a good thing that I’m not married!

Bobbi – I’m thinking good thoughts for you, your DD, and Dami. I hope he’s ready to hear you, because otherwise all this is for naught, and I hope that’s not going to be the case. Is your foot fairly healed now? You might need to kick someone's little behind!!

CarolSue – I truly had to control a visceral response when you said: “Gayle, sometimes when DH irritates me I stop and think that I probably do a lot of things that irritate him, too, so it evens out.” That is just too, too, too understanding!!! (LOL) Have you tried the Zumba yet? Are you now making yogurt like a crazy person? My friend bought a yogurt maker at a garage sale and spent the next couple of weeks making Greek yogurt, fruited yogurt, you-name-it yogurt… and I haven’t heard a yogurt peep out of her for about a year now. I think she probably wore herself out on it!!

Cajun – I had to laugh at you plying your poor MIL with cake that no one else would take! I find it interesting how some of you have such good relationships with your MIL… and I was lucky with mine, too. They all lived far away, and the times we were together were visits and good times. How’s that puppy doing as an outside pup? I’m sure she doesn’t like it at all!! Will she still be with you during the week? Your descriptions of your life just fascinate me! Your life in LA is so different than life in CO! I love hearing about it!

Deelou – thanks for posting the pictures of you and your family! Good looking group (good looking mama!)...

Tam – oh, busy lady… how are things?

Cherry – what a beautiful photo! Thanks… it’s always nice to have faces to go with the names! And, yes, where IS the haircut picture?

Mellen – welcome!

Gayle – as long as your DD doesn’t bring ScumBoy to your house…

I’ve had such a social week, and it’s killing me! We had lots of out-of-towners at the same time, plus the requisite drama/trauma (sigh), but they’re all gone now! Lovely to see them, more lovely to wave bye bye! Because I’ve eaten out so much this week (and one more tomorrow), my weight is gleefully heading upward. Come Monday, I’m back to SparkPeople for a concerted effort. It works for me, and I know a lot of this is salt… still, I DO NOT LIKE THIS.

Nothing much to report. The drama/trauma is still causing me undue angst, but it’ll pass. Suffice it to say, I have one brother who is an a**…. And I’m so glad he doesn’t live close by. I don't like him, and even blood doesn't make it easy to love him...

Hope you all have a lovely weekend! Later, lovelies!!

Last edited by jess1; 08-16-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #148  

Hope you are having a good weekend. My dh got up before me and is outside working in the yard. It's cool and kinda overcast but looks pleasant..I haven't been outside yet. Hope it's cooler now for some of you who have such hot weather.

The chicken dish I made last night turned out pretty well. Tonight I'm planning beef and peppers stir-fry with rice.

Jess - LOL yes you do have to buy to play. I don't buy either but dh usually buys one ticket a week. He has won several times...his biggest win was on a ticket he wrote my name on. I haven't been entering sweeps as much as usual and just got my first win for August...a cookbook, I will probably never use. Perhaps I will sell or give it away. I guess you could say my weight is stable, I go up and down 1-2# ...today was an "up" day, 1#. My goal right now is just to maintain at least.

Wannabe - Dh says he feels fine. His lungs seem to improve daily so think whatever it was he is getting over it. Our son only bathes the dog monthly so she has not had soap used on her yet. I'm not sure she has fleas, just don't want them. I feel itchy a lot but maybe it's just my imagination. I'll remember about the Dawn when we do bathe her. We give her a rub down with a damp towel most days. The smell is better, or maybe I've gotten used to it. She's a very good dog. Can't keep her off the furniture but we've basically given up on that. She's very emotional. Needs to have attention frequently and misses her master a lot when he's not around. She relaxes more now but still will look for him and whimper at times, but just needs comforting and she's fine. I like that she's not a jumpy dog...very calm, just needs our touch now and then. She will come back to my office and will let me know by touch that she wants to go out. She will nose or kinda pull on my arm if I don't respond immediately. She's well trained. She usually sleeps on a rug by her master's bed but one night I forgot to put her in there and she woke up at 3 am and went into the room to ask him to take her out. Our previous dogs would have whimpered and if no response just do it on the floor!

Well, need to get to somethings around here...you all have a good day!

Last edited by maryea; 08-16-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Donna, I try to be understanding. He is very patient and puts up with a lot of my shenanigans. LOL

I first made yogurt a year ago. I made it in my crockpot under Bobbi's wonderful instructions. In fact, I liked the results in the crockpot better than in the yogurt maker but I love those little jars for storing it. I am not going to go wild with it, but I need probiotics in my diet. One batch gives me a small portion daily, which is what I need. I like the home made because I don't like fruit or flavoring in it. I like the sour/tart of the plain yogurt. I also bought a yogurt cheese maker, (Bobbi's recommendation again) and I use that to make it thicker. I use it on baked potatoes in place of sour cream and spread it on celery sticks like you do cream cheese.

I have not tried the Zumba yet. Put the first DVD in my computer to see what it was like. OH, those little skinny girls move in ways I would have thought impossible, and probably are at my age! LOL
Old 08-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #150  

The best thing about retired is you never quite sure what day of the week it is. I suspect Saturday, but don't really know or care. I was going to do personals and found that most of the new GGs have not posted since 8/11 or 8/12. Kinda hard to up date without an update. See my senile habits are getting more and more embedded. Sundowner here I come! Hello to you all if you are lurking out there somewhere......At least Karen and I can wipe down our big old cyber coffee table. Gesh, see what being alone does to an old crone. You are welcome anytime.

Karen...I am so glad Tim is closer to home. The whole family will be within reach for both of you. That was one excellent palliative care nurse to get it set up.

Gayle...I have threatened Cajun with crazy glue. Do you want to borrow my tube for the Maddie mouth when she gets home.

Rosey...CP and his dinner would have met quickly at my house, too. I tossed a plate of pasta once. The orange stain was still there when we moved.

Bobbi...I know how hard reading that letter will be and I can't imagine sitting listening to the others won't be even harder. Use this time to build your strength and courage so the meeting with DGS will be a solid loving wall. Tough Love is exactly that TOUGH.

Donna....and everyone else remember tonight is episode 2 of the Outlander Series.

This time of year so many birthdays in our family. Son will be 52 and DD's horse was just 24. Wonder if Amazon ships hat/oats? hugs all k3
Closed Thread