Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #271  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! Another nice day started out cool but now the sun is out. I'm STILL dealing with malware on my computer...lots of popup ads. I thought I had it fixed several times now but it keeps coming back..they just keep changing the name slightly. Very smart people..but why don't they use their brains to do good instead of bad. Right now I'm downloading an antimalware program recommended by Kim Komando and am hoping it will do the trick and keep these bad guys gone.

We went to the gym and I did my cardio but dh was done so left without doing the weights. I did get to use the hand bike today though. We have two invites to big dinners (potlucks..one a BBQ) this coming week. I decided to skip the one on Sunday but will go to the BBQ later in the week. It is just too hard not being able to eat as much as I'd like while others do. I hope someday to be able to handle it but right now I don't feel I can/will.

I worked hard yesterday doing my weekly cleaning and was very tired and sore afterwards. House looked very nice for about 5 min., but it still looks better than it did.

Wannabe - Glad you're here.

TamTam - Love the scripture verse in your sig! Really makes me think so good motivation!

Sweertmarie - You must be new? Welcome!! Glad to have you join us. No, I have never tried LA Weightloss. The only programs I have tried are Weightwatchers Online, Prism, and Medifast. The last two worked but with Medifast I got sick of the food and Prism worked the best but I can't seem to go back to it. Oh for brief times I've also tried some online diets like ediets but I like a very varied diet and so much is the same all the time and I get bored. Discipline is my problem.

Jess - When I retired they talked me into working a few hours a week at first...I would go in the evenings so I didn't have to deal with all the other staff and found an empty room where i could work without interruptions. It was ok and the money was good (at the time), but I quickly decided I didn't want to work anymore. If you enjoy retirement there is no time for it!

Cajun/Tam - Seems like a lot of people are like that with waking up early when used to doing it, but me, despite working early hours for quite a while, I still sleep best in the early morning. When I worked I preferred swing shift and in retirement I don't like to be up before 8-9...nine is a great time. But then I also like to stay up until 11-1. I used to hear people say older people don't sleep in late...but I say we are all different. I try to get later appointments and only set my alarm when I really have to.

Karen3 - I remember too that when I went mia for a while, you guys worried about me and one (I think Donna or Karen?) called my dd to make sure I was ok. It's nice to be part of a caring group of women.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Howdy all....It is beyond hot and humid down here. Even our wee lizards are carrying electric fans. Darn they brought the boat to the dock and dropped off a bottle of wine. No scallops!

Cajun...Yesterday I told you we're eating down the freezer, too and there's a law that it never goes downer but gets fuller. Would you believe DD sent us an order from Omaha Steaks! Filled the freezer right back up.

Bobbi...Sorry about the 4 hour wait. They could have knocked you out and rolled you in a corner. I don't do waiting well. Cranky Pants?

Gayle...Love ooops. The more "O" the better! along with arrrrrrgh.

Mary...Did he catch any fish?

Karen...How is Tim in this weather?

Rosey...Your 2 days are up......Hope the pc is fixed.

I want/need a new freezer. Mine is a Monkey Ward and they have been out of business 25 yrs. So it's time. I want "quiet running"...anyone any ideas?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #273  
First Class Muncher

S/C/G: 240/204/140

Height: 5'7"

HEY EVERYONE:

Good to see that the air has cleared and everyone seems to be in good spirits. I had to step away from the computer for awhile. I have to do that occasionally to equalize things. Sometime, I find myself spending too much
time online and before I know it, the day(s) have slipped away. Just as with dieting and fitness, I have to continue to strive for "the sweet spot" that is "between all or nothing".

Thought I'd share a little human interest story that was featured by local media in my area at the end of last year. I'm sure that many of you have had (or may still be having) the dreaded annual performance review with an employer. Well, some married couples participate in an annual spousal performance review, lol. In the interview I listened to, the wife jokenly mentioned that if her husband didn't start picking up his socks from the floor, she would write it up on his annual performance review. They laughingly followed through with doing a year-end review on each other. They found that it was beneficial to their marriage and have kept doing an annual performance review every year.

I guess examining things in many areas of life can be beneficial.

It's been a hot day and I've spent several hours on my feet playing "water girl" at my parent's house. My knees are hurting and I'm so ready to kick back and watch some TV. I was excited to receive a Netflix DVD today (a new
TV series to watch). Darn, I was surprised to learn that it is in French with subtitles. I hate subtitles. I tend to multitask while watching TV. I'll give it a try, but I think I may have to stream something instead (I cut
the cord on cable TV). I'm not able to catch up on all the dialog right now. There are a few posts that popped out at me, in that I have some specific experience to share.

BOBBI:
Hope you recover from your foot surgery quickly and that you are able to tame the pain soon. I've had a similar experience with having to wait 4-5 hours for an outpatient knee surgery (when I booked the first surgery of the day).
In my situation, the doctor switched the schedule and no one told me. I think that some doctors shuffle the schedule sometimes for their own purposes. Once bitten, twice shy - might want to say something to the doctor when you make
your next appt.

I wasn't happy with the long wait, especially since the lady next to me had a verbal fight going on with her adult daughter that seemed endless (until I told them to shup up, lol). No food, no water, no coffee and a dry mouth can
make you very straight forward. On the other hand, I had 2 cataract surgeries with corrective implants a little over a year ago. I booked both surgeries for the first of the day for my doctor. It worked out great - I was in and out like clock work.

CAJUN:
Hope your GI problem goes away. I've had ulcerative colitis for several years now. Crones relates to the upper colon and colitis the lower. I don't know how long you have experienced your problem. With me, I had a
couple of miserable years and then finally went for some testing. Initially, the colonoscopy did not show anything - so I was told I had irritable bowel syndrome. Another year down the road with more testing, I eventually got a diagnosis of ulcerative colitis.
Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about more specifics (I think I qualify for PMs now)

MARYEA:
I used to listen to Kim Komando several years ago, when her show played on a local radio station. I've been following Leo Leporte for the last few years.

One thing you might want to do, once you get rid of your pop up problem, is to set up a user account on your computer that doesn't have admin rights. That would prevent installation of unwanted adware. You could log on as the
limited user for general internet use and then back to a user with admin rights when you need to install something or do something that requires admin rights.

Catch everyone later,
Naughty
Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #274  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good morning girls! I have been very achy lately and my house shows it. I need to get a good cleaning in today, aches or not, so I will be hitting the IBprofen. It's nice that it's not too hot and we can have the doors and windows open, but rain is moving in later this afternoon.

Mary
, I am one of the old people who get up early. LOL It's not that I want to get up that early, but I don't sleep good and I hate to lay there when I can't fall back to sleep. Sometimes I can and I sleep until 8 or 9, and that feels really good. I think if I would stay up later I could sleep longer in the morning, but I get sleepy...because I got up so early. It's a viscious circle.

We listen to Kim Komando, too, and she has a column in the Sunday Paper.

Naughty, that's a cute story about the woman who wrote on her husbands performance review that he didn't pick up his socks, but there's two ways to look at that. If leaving socks on the floor was the worst thing DH did I would consider myself very lucky. At least seeing those socks on the floor I would know he's still there. Someday she may wish she could see those socks. I think my husband puts up with my annoying habits too, so I'm glad he doesn't do a performance review.

Bobbi, sorry you had the long wait, but I'm glad you're home and resting. Recovery has begun.

Tam Tam, it's nice to be your own boss, but when you own your own business it seems you are working 24/7. You can't walk out the door at 5 O'clock and leave it all behind until the next day.

Cajun, what is it about us women that we have to have our chocolate. Must be hormonal. DH doesn't even like chocolate.

Hope everyone has a nice, peaceful weekend!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #275  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good morning! It is going to be another hot day here! Karen3, Tim is always cold so he is loving this HOT weather! Me on the other hand ----not so much! I think we need a dual climate control house! Tim always wears a heavy long sleeve shirt and usually has a flannel lined jacket over that-- yes even in this heat! He went to the sunroom last week and themp. out there was 92 and he set out on the swing and just napped for 1 1/2 hours!! I just look for ways to get out and go somewhere in the AC car and go visit family or go to stores. He will turn on the AC once it gets to about 84 in the house but by then it is so hot that the AC has a hard time cooling it down. Needless to say we have had a few WOrDS over this! I've sent a text to the Dr. and am now waiting to hear from him. He is having lots of bloating and gas pains and isn't eating much at all. And yes, I said I sent a text to the Dr! This is a VA dr. and I couldn't believe it when he gave me his personal cell phone number!! So you won't hear me complain about the treatment he is getting at the VA! They have been nothing but wonderful to him and to me.

I have read all the posts and comments and I really will sit down soon and answer everyone. I just seem to be stopping by once in awhile and letting you know how things are going. Some days are better than others but I promise I think of you all.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #276  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Karen ~ your plate is full to overflowing right now ~ we understand.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #277  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola!

Cajun – can you take a picture of that camouflage cake, please? I had no idea!! Good luck to your son on his NDT test! You and your husband did a fine job with those boys! They both seem to be accomplished and, better, good men! Thanks for taking the time to do personals… I’m pretty happy these days with the site!

Tam – I owned my own business, too, and it’s 24/7. If you aren’t working, you’re worrying! I’m glad you have someone to share the burden!

Bobbi – so glad that your surgery is over! How’s the pain level? I hope you’re doing well!

Mary – I got a good dose of the “guilties” from my ex-boss yesterday. They’re swamped and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need my help. I feel like I’m letting her down… and then I get a grip and say, “hey, I’m retired!!” If I were bored, that would be one thing, but I’m very contented. I never objected to being there once I got there, but I hated, hated, hated getting up, getting ready, and then driving all that way. So, I’m hanging tough. So far.

KarenFL – how nice of your DD to send you Omaha steaks! Pretty tasty! And I’m with you about the waiting stuff. If I’d had to wait 4 hours for my surgery, you can bet they would have knocked me out (or over the head) just to shut me up. My barely-controlled passive aggression would have been in full flower! I admire Bobbi’s restraint!

Nibs– nice to see you… good post! I loved the performance evaluation story!

CaroleSue – I hope you’re feeling better! I’ve never heard of Kim Komando… tell me more? Chocolate gives me migraines, and I’ve had some Ghirardelli in the refrigerator so long it’s dusty! However, cakes and pies do NOT give me migraines, unfortunately! Occasionally, I’ll get a huge craving for chocolate and will devour an entire bag of something, and then I’m good for another year! Bodies are weird!

CK - hang in there. Your VA has certainly been impressive and responsive... Has the doc responded to your email yet?

Nothing much going on. July continues with clouds and rainy afternoons. I certainly cannot complain about the summer this year!

I hope you all have a good Saturday! Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 07-26-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #278  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Tam Tam, it's nice to be your own boss, but when you own your own business it seems you are working 24/7. You can't walk out the door at 5 O'clock and leave it all behind until the next day.

It is nice to be your own boss, but it can also be stressful. But I am so blessed to have an awesome job and wonderful workers. I truly do look forward to going to work everyday. And no you don't leave it behind at the end of the day, it follows you wherever you go.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #279  
I am more than weight.

]Tam [/COLOR]– I owned my own business, too, and it’s 24/7. If you aren’t working, you’re worrying! I’m glad you have someone to share the burden!

So am I! It can be a challenge working with your spouse, but it is also a blessing to be able to share that with him too!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #280  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Donna, Kim Komando has a radio show and apparently it's all over the country since both Mary and I have heard of her. It is a call-in show where you can call and ask her a question if you are having a problem with your computer, Ipad, etc. She also gives information recommending anti-virus programs. In our local paper, she has a weekly column, and I just googled her name and she also has a website. Very useful information.

Karen31, the VA has been getting a bad rap lately in the media. I'm glad that Tim is getting good treatment. Apparently the problems they are having isn't at every VA center.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #281  
I am more than weight.

Default I am working on this.....

Ok, I have a problem that I am going to try and fix. I have this BAD habit(?) or thought process that when I eat, I eat the least favorite thing first and the most favorite thing last. This is a problem because by the time I get to the favorite thing I may be full but because I have not eaten the favorite thing I will eat it not to be deprived and then I end up over eating and too full. So ENOUGH!! My focus will be to eat the favorite thing FIRST and then move on to the rest. Anyone else have this problem?? Does this make sense???
Old 07-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #282  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Tam Tam ~ I wondered if (and maybe I have no right to suggest anything because I certainly haven't been that successful yet) you could maybe just make smaller portions of your foods. That way you could do like you have been doing ~ least favorite first and saving "the best for last". Just a thought
Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #283  
I am more than weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Tam Tam ~ I wondered if (and maybe I have no right to suggest anything because I certainly haven't been that successful yet) you could maybe just make smaller portions of your foods. That way you could do like you have been doing ~ least favorite first and saving "the best for last". Just a thought
Oh, honey you can suggest I am not easily offended! I do smaller portions, but even with that it's save the best for last even though you may be too full to eat, still save the best for last. So I just need to reverse the order of my eating so I can not overeat, which is still easy to do with smaller portions. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 07-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #284  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hello all...It is either blindly sunny or pouring so hard you can't see. Instant switches. I finally finished the cook book family album. Get it off UPS Monday. There are so many great great great great grandparents. (did that screw up spell check!) and a few great great great great great grandfathers. (just had to screw it again) She'll be studying it for years.

Bobbi...Has DH painted your nails yet?

Donna...Now you know being retired means there aren't enough hours in the day.

Cajun...Such good sons and raised to choose good brides. Good work mama.

Karen...I would go get a window a/c and make a "WOMAN CAVE".

Tam...OMG 4am.....never...besides when I worked nights 4am is when it felt like my motor fell out.

Mary...When I worked in the VA if a vet complained of anything everything was checked out. Then the care was outstanding. I heard from some of my guys years after we moved. It was a huge hospital over 3200 beds that was cut back and back. Had it's own golf course.

Gayle......remember ooooops!

Jeepers....mail just came and the questioner from the Harvard Women's Health study is here. Do you know I have been doing this for 38 yrs. Must have been a mere child. Kind sad many of the questions are if your memory is failing. Gotta go find #2 lead pencil......k3

Last edited by Karen3; 07-26-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #285  
I am more than weight.

Tam...OMG 4am.....never...besides when I worked nights 4am is when it felt like my motor fell out.

I know, but it really is then or never. We do have an audience though, the cats in the neighborhood watch is make our laps and from the look on their faces, they they we are nuts too!!
Closed Thread