Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

PS I made a mistake. It has been 2 months since DD had her surgery. She is complaining the good health feels weird.

Lucinda....bridge is recommended as a brain saver. Keeps senility at bay. Don't make the mistake I made and take lessons without your DH. My DH has great card sense, but won't play bridge because my skill level is so much higher. I'd love to play with him....shut up Donna! You can travel anywhere in the world, not speak the language yet play duplicate bridge.

Bobbi...think I'd redo my knees before I'd be brave enough for the bunionectomy!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #242  

Thanks everyone for the good words. Hanging in there. I'm writing down everything that goes into my mouth. I have tried so many diets in my life. I see others losing, I try them and nothing. I have a good feeling this time. I lost 5.6 lbs the first week. Praying and will just keep on keeping on.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #243  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Bobbi-- So now i understand how your feet have been impacting the quality of your life. I bet you already have a plan in mind to take care of your nutritional needs/ and your exercise needs while you recover from the procedure.
Karen3-- Thanks for the warning not to learn the game of bridge independently from my hubby. I do intend to play with him as my partner.
I also need to have the ugly, painful swollen varicose veins removed/stripped from my legs and groin. Yeah, they are that bad. My one hesitation is the "down-time recovery"
I need to hire someone to tend to the house/the dog/ and to drive me to work.
I thought about taking a photo of just how disgusting the veins on my legs are so anyone could see it is not for vanities sake that I need to have them removed. It really is a health issue...oh BTW, my insurance DENIED the claim...GRGRGRGRGR.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Bobbi, I am praying that your bunion surgery goes well and you recover quickly. You will feel so much better after this is done. I can't imagine anything keeping you down!

When I was a little girl, my Grandmother had bunions. She wore those old fashioned black shoes and had a big piece of it cut out to make room for her bunions. Mostly she went barefoot at home.

Karen3, DD was probably so accustomed to the way she felt before that she is now realizing what it feels like to be healthy. Not weird, but just different and so much better. I wish her success.

Gayle, yes, I was the one who had two bowel surgeries, ended up with an infection and visiting nurses daily for 6 months. I thank God they were here because DH and I would not have recognized the infection. Those surgeries were terrible, but they are over with and other than having a very ugly belly, I am doing fine. Now if I could just lose this ding dang weight!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #245  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All…

DeeLou – I can’t imagine living in FL if you hate the heat! I live in Colorado and whinge all summer long… and I think ours is, um, like, arctic in comparison to your weather! My swamp cooler goes all day long!

Your social gadding about sounds serious… and how fun! Since I’ve retired (repurposed), I’ve rediscovered the joys of socializing! There seems to be at least one and often more lunch outings every week. Knock on wood, I haven’t gained any weight, but I’ve learned to ask for my “to go” box at the beginning of the meal and parcel the food out before I ever start eating. That way, I have at least 1-2 more meals and don’t inhale everything in sight just because I’m not paying attention. So far, so good!

Cajun – what is your 7 month goal? It’s so hard, especially when there’s that kind of pressure on you. Please vent or do whatever you need!

TamTam – welcome back. And why in the world are you walking at 4 a.m.? No one NORMAL is even awake at 4 a.m.!!!! (LOL) Okay, I just read farther and see why you’re up walking at 4 a.m. I still say “ugh!!!”

Mary – your garden sounds wonderful! I had hoped to get some container gardening started this year, but now I’m thinking maybe next year. I’m not one who likes to muck in the mud and bending and squatting was totally out of the question with the hip, so containers sounded perfect. I’d love to have fresh produce from my own backyard!

I think it’s wonderful that you and your DH (Bobbi and her DH, too) go to the gym and work out regularly. It has to be a huge help! I see the doc on Tuesday for my “can I be released, please, please, please???” visit, and I’m hoping he’ll clear me to start yoga. That’s about as energetic as I’m interested in being.

Lucinda – I LOVE your avatar! It makes me smile every time I see it. I wonder why your insurance denied the vein stripping? Is your doctor willing to go to bat for you with the insurance company?

I always look forward to seeing what you’re eating. It’s so unique to your situation, and it all sounds good! If you have bunion surgery, can your kids and husband maybe pick up the slack so you don’t have to hire someone? Your kids aren’t wee, are they?

Bobbi – good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts!!!! If we don't hear from you or DH in a timely manner, I'll be calling to check on you!

KarenFL – I know what your daughter means about health feeling weird. Every time I bounce around without pain, I have to stop and say “wow! That didn’t hurt!” It still is unbelievable to me! And you DO make me laugh (“shut up, Donna”, indeed!”). I’m so glad your DD is doing so well!! She’s a warrior daughter, and you’re the warrior woman! That title might also go to Bobbi, as co-owner. She’s brave, brave, brave!

Best (name?????) – have you tried any of the weight sites? I really like SparkPeople, but there are many, many…. and they allow you to enter your food eaten and will give you remaining calories available for the day. It really helped me to use portion control. That’s been the secret for me… that and cutting down (but not out, sigh) the junk at night.

CarolSue – I remember when you were suffering through the bowel surgeries/infection. I’m glad that’s finally over for you!!

Lots of running to do today. My boss emailed me yesterday and asked if I’d come back for “a few hours” a day…. OH, NO!!!! I’m way too busy, and I’m so NOT bored! Besides, I know those few hours would soon work into full time. Not interested!

Onward and upward! Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 07-24-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Donna, in her first post on 7/22 Best said her name is Judy.

Mary, do you ever do a control solution test with your meter? The control solution I had expired in 10/13 and I was having a hard time getting more. I got some today and before the control test my BS was at 147 and after the control test it was 125. I didn't realize a control test would make that much of a difference.

We usually only plant tomatoes because we can't seem to get anything else to grow. This year we planted zucchini plants but they aren't getting any zucchini. My neighbor said he isn't getting any yet either. We had a long hot spell, hotter than usual for our area, and that might be why. I've been eating more zucchini lately and thought it would save some money to grow our own.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #247  

Height: 5'3"

Hello GGs!! Dh went fishing today...first time since his surgery. He also off all restrictions now, so he's a happy guy. It's a cooler day, overcast. Should be a good day for fishing so hoping he catches something this time. The last several years now the fishing hasn't been nearly so good for bank fishermen.

I've been doing a little decluttering in our bedroom. I have my corner where I tend to stack up books, trying to go through them and decide what to do with them. Also cleared out under the bed where I keep some seasonal clothing. It wasn't bad but I reorganized it a bit and vacuumed. Today I hope do a more thorough cleaning throughout the house. Also want to go through my jewelry...I have lost several earrings so hoping to find mates etc. Might even give away some things...I have jewelry I never wear anymore even some I have NEVER worn! Nothing expensive but pretty stuff I've picked up through the years.

Yesterday I touched on but did not fully explain that our box gardens (which dh made) are scattered about our back yard. I mentioned the regular garden but the other three are in the side yard, further back he also has an orchard. Our yard is not as large as this may sound, so all these things are fairly close together but it is on the opposite side from the regular garden. Then right under our bedroom window (back side of house) there is another raised box garden where he plants flowers. My dh is so sweet...he knows I like to be able to see pretty things from my kitchen window. For structural reasons I can't have a planter window or even a planter on the outside so a few years ago our then neighbor was moving and offered me a standing planter which holds two plants, so I showed him where I'd like it and he planted two plants for me to see from the window. Yesterday he planted another hanging from the patio roof...he took me to the window and asked if Id noticed. I had but didn't think too much about it (unromantic me!). He said, I did that for you. Aww...love... It is so easy to overlook the little things both to appreciate and to do for each other. I think marriages would probably be a lot happier if people paid more attention to the little things. Love my man!

Jess - You can even build or have built chest high garden boxes. I've sen them online. You can even order them online at the garden websites. I'm not sure how they come or now much work is involved. Then you could stand and just dig/rake the soil with a hand tool right at your level.

Lucinda - Hope you find a way to get the vein work done and get the help you will need too. I have another friend who has that problem and has had some removed.

Karen3 - Yes I can imagine how the lady looked...as I've seen them. When I worked in a convalescent center/nursing home, I would see the old ladies who put on their own makeup looking like clowns. I hoped that I would never become like that. We also had a member of staff (not a nurse) that had these big very black eyebrows that stood out on her face. I used to wonder..didn't she look in the mirror but maybe she liked the look, I don't know. I try to remember that as I get older esp, less is more when it comes to make up...I try to take care of my skin with as good creams as I can but when it comes to makeup use a light touch. I use a lot more concealer than I used to and I worry about not getting it blended in well enough, so really work on that. The brows are the hardest I think...keeping them plucked (ugh, and I refuse waxing anymore), and I like to color them a little but it's easy to get too much and then it looks terrible. Oh, no, the very worst is all the disgusting facial hair that seems to sprout from every where esp on my upper lip, chin and even my neck! The other day I woke up to a black hair about an inch long sticking out from my cheek! What's up with that Being an older woman is not easy sometimes...but we don't have to be *****y. LOL

Best - Congrats on the weightloss!! I wish I were doing so well. Right now, my fat seems to be stuck on me and doesn't want to budge. At least it has stopped rising as it was doing the last few weeks.

Need to get to work..have a good day! I've sat here long enough that the sun is finally coming out!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #248  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hi friends!! Another hot humid day! I'm so ready for fall. Dr called me this morning to see how I was doing with my colitis problem after taking 10 days of antibiotics. It's better but not 100%. I'd have to say 80% better. He told me to wait another week and he will call me next Thursday. My youngest son is seeing him this morning for a real bad sore throat. He needs his tonsils removed so bad but he don't want to take them out. He gets a real bad infection 5 or 6 times a year.
I'm starting with a newborn on Monday so she came to visit me this morning. Precious baby boy. But she said he's spoiled. Likes the arms. Oh dear! Poor me! Going to be difficult to break him of that.
I just got finished packing 40 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs. I love to grill them. When I eat a lot of chicken I have more luck with losing weight than eating beef or pork. Not to mention I love chicken.

Lucinda's is amazes me what the insurances companies say what you need and what you don't.

Besti congrats on your weight loss. Don't give up. You can do it!!!! I write what I eat too and sometimes if you have to write it you won't want to eat it. What diet are you following?

K3 glad to hear you are enjoying your bridge game. When I lost that 70 lbs year before last I felt different too. Didn't know I actually felt so bad until I felt good. Congrats to her. I know what you mean the more we cook the more goes back in our freezers. We have 2 deep freezers non our patio. One is full of wild game the other is full of fish. My upright in my house is full of beef chicken and pork. Eating down the freezer isn't going to happen. We all hunt and fish. Keeps getting fuller. Lol. Start blowing those storms away Karen. August is approaching fast.

Mary I was reading your post and had to laugh about your dh bring so sweet and planting you flowers. It's a standing joke around here if Dh is spraying roundup it better be roundup resistant. When he sprays he goes crazy. He can't stand to use the weed eater. We have large 8 large live oak trees in our yard. That's it. I have pot flower plants on my patio. That's it.

Carol sue I think next year we may try planting tomatoes in some big flower pots on the patio. They would get enough sun and wouldn't scorch un the hot summer we have.

Donna my goal it to be just under 200. Right now I'm at 235. Basically 5 lbs a month. I can do it. {I hope}. I'm going to give it my all. My knew is hurting and I need to exercise but I hate to sweat but I'm going to have to get out of my comfort zone and get moving. Lol. Loving that retirement huh. Don't blame you. With all the people out of work you would think they could find someone to replace you. It's because you did your work and others too and they want something for nothing. Lol

Bobbie I wasn't here when you started the group but I'm loving the chatting not just about dieting but all things in our daily lives. Feels like true friendship. Praying for you tomorrow. Come back soon. Will you have an overnight stay?

Mary I admire all the exercises you do at the gym. Glad your sugar levels are better. Keep trying is all we can do. One time when my youngest son was little we had gone to the beach and a man had bogged his truck in the sand and several people had tried to pull him out with no luck. Dh had a heavy duty 4x4 truck and was sitting back and watching the commotion. He said they were trying to pull him out the wrong way. So after several people had tried he walked over to the driver in the pickup truck and gave him instructions on what to do while dh hooked up to his truck. My lil son said. Dad you can do it dad! You can do it! Well he pulled that truck out after they had buried it to the axles. My lil son had so much confidence and pride in his dad that day. He just glowed he was so proud. Often in life when I'm trying to do something that is out of my comfort zone I think back to those words out of his lil mouth. So today I'm going to tell you and all of our friends. "You can do it" !!!!!!!!

Tam tam welcome back. You are the one that owns the religious store right? Were you also the one that was doing 1-1-1. I tried that and the carbs allowed sabatouged me. Instead of a nice healthy carb I ate a nice delicious piece of chocolate. Lol. Glad to have you back.

Gotta go.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #249  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Donna...I'll let everyone know tomorrow how the surgery went.
Cajun...in and out the same day, no big deal. Just the pain killers I'll be on after the surgery that will probably get me down.

Quote:
Bobbie I wasn't here when you started the group but I'm loving the chatting not just about dieting but all things in our daily lives. Feels like true friendship. Praying for you tomorrow. Come back soon. Will you have an overnight stay?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #250  

Cajun - Loved your story. Bet it made your dh feel good. Made me think of our youngest son when he was little. His big brother was into BMX competitions (bike) and we were always there to cheer him on. He heard people yell piece of cake to the participants, so he starts yelling eat the cake, Mike, eat the cake!! Think I better stick with I can do it, not eat the cake..
Old 07-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Mary I have to say I giggled out loud. I agree you can do it is better than eat a cake.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #252  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

[QUOTE=jess1;5045665][B][I][COLOR="Navy"]Good Morning, All…

TamTam – welcome back. And why in the world are you walking at 4 a.m.? No one NORMAL is even awake at 4 a.m.!!!! (LOL) Okay, I just read farther and see why you’re up walking at 4 a.m. I still say “ugh!!!”

Believe me if I could I would gladly walk a little later in the morning, but we get up and walk then come home get lunch ready, then take showers, drink our coffee and pray and then by 6:30 am off to work, depending where we are working sometimes we are both going to work together and other times I am closer to home so I do not have to be at work till 9am. Then we get home between 6 an 7 pm we have to eat supper and then it's too late to walk. So we get up and walk, though I must admit I would love to throw that alarm clock at the wall some mornings! Yep, that I would say that we are sooo NOT normal!!!!

Last edited by TamTam; 07-24-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all...Thursday is my crazy errand etc day. Blah. You have not lived until you have shopped in a supermarket in Fl with so many blue headed ladies running people over with carts or even walkers.

Deeloe and Donna...You2 do realize we have only gotten thru the first month of Summer.

Bobbi...What time tomorrow? My thoughts will be with you. Enjoy being cranky!

Cajun...New born. OMG I'd spend the entire day cuddling him. I love baby feet! Oh by the way, You diet or I will do something interesting with crazy glue. Are you sure you want to find out. Newbies I have been threating Cajun for 2 years now. When I get loud enough she listens.

Mary...There is a man law that says If Man GOES FISHING EVERYTHING IS OKAY.

Oh I love my Kindle. Donna said she was reading The Cuckoo's Calling. I remembered downloading it, but nada. Pulled it out of archives and can remember the first half of it. Beats dragging of to the library.

DH made a gentleman's day. He stopped and asked where he could dock his boat and Dh said right here. No charge. Maybe we'll get some scallops. hugs k3
Old 07-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #254  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I have to be at the hospital in another town at 6:30am. It's only a 30 minute drive over. Hope to be done and out quickly. Prayers and thoughts are welcome, especially the surgeons hands. YIKES, DON'T SLIP.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-24-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #255  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

K3 ~ are your new knees able to get you away from those reckless crazed blue haired ladies that are mowing down everyone in their path at the grocery store? Glad your daughter is doing so well and feeling so much better since her surgery.

Tam Tam ~ glad to see you back with us. My hat's off to you being disciplined and doing that daily walk every day so early in the morning. Glad your husband is now feeling better. Sorry that the 1-1-1 thing didn't work out ~ have you found something else now that works better for you?

Mary ~ glad Joe is off his restrictions so he can do the things he likes again. How sweet that he hung a plant special for you so you could see it out the window. How are your blood sugars doing?

Karen 31 ~ how are you doing? I saw a crocheting pattern today on Pinterest that made me think of you and Sissy. (Do you crochet ~ I forget ~ oops (Donna ~ my son told me to say that instead of sorry all the time ~ LOL). It was a little doggy coat ~ crocheted in a granny square pattern.

Donna ~ I don't blame you for not wanting to fill in at your job for “just a few hours”. You're exactly right ~ a few hours would eventually probably turn into full time again. When I stopped the nursing job and started the secretary job ~ before I even got off orientation from that ~ they were short of help and wanted me to fill in as a nurse and help out. I said no and stood my ground. My boss told me she was disappointed in me, but I knew that if I said yes even once, I would never get out of nursing as I so desperately wanted to. You go girl!!

Lucinda ~ I hope you can get some help from your insurance for that vein stripping procedure. Do you have a lot of pain in your legs? That sure wouldn't be much fun. Great job not letting the lost keys and the dog messes make you reach for your comfort foods. That is awesome!!

Bobbi ~ I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and praying ~ will be glad for you to have this behind you and be done with that pain. The Golden Girls will have you wrapped in a giant hug.

Judy ~ way to go with the 5.6 pound loss. Keep up the good work ~ you can do this. I like your name ~ bestisyettocome

Cajun ~ I can understand how you have no energy for stuff after your kids go home. We just have only one little Maddie and two of us ~ and I am pretty tired some days. End up trying to catch up on the weekends. Glad your stomach is mostly better ~ will pray that it is all better by when the doctor calls next week.

Deelou ~ your 50th anniversary coming up ~ congratulations ~ that is an acomplishment for sure.

Carol Sue ~ I can identify with how you felt on threads where the women were younger. It is nice to be with an age group that is going through similar things. I used to belong to a group that most of the posters were younger. I loved 3FC so much (started way back in 2000 and came here every day ~ still do ~ imagine that ~ 14 years now) anyway ~ I made a comment in that other group one day that because I loved it so much, I would probably still be coming here when I got old and had to use a walker to get to the computer ~ no one there found any humor in that. Eventually I ended up here and these ladies gave me a new home.

Andi ~ the book you mentioned sounds like a fun one. I wish I could read faster. People tell about fun sounding books, I find them at the library, but can never seem to finish them now-a-days before the time runs out, then I have to take them back and can't always get them back quickly. When I finally can get them back, I forget what I have already read and have to start over again. Oh well. I do better now with shorter things like Readers Digest and the Guideposts magazine. And sometimes, I find some free books that I can put on my tablet with the Kindle app. That way I can read when I am able and don't have the pressure of having to return it before I am done.

Newbies ~ listen to K3 ~ she takes her job of keeping us in line seriously. We even had a picture posted a while back of her (and Donna/Jess too) weilding their rolling pins.

We love to have fun and get silly sometimes ~ just can't help it.

Running out of steam now ~ I'd better get this finished and then off to bed. It got long, but I missed yesterday, so two days in one here.

Night night ~ rest well all

Last edited by glynne; 07-24-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Closed Thread