Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hello Ladies, I hope there isn't trouble in paradise! I have not posted on this thread in a while, although I have been silently lurking from time to time!

I think a part of this issue might be that some of the newer members (myself included) are still working/raising kids/grandkids and don't have the long relationships as some of our more senior members. In addition, we may be stealing a few minutes of breaktime at work or between errands to post. As such, the newer members post what's important (or quick) to them, which may not resonate well with the senior members who would prefer personals. I'm sure I've been guilty of this, too.

I just hope everyone can just get along and continue to support everyone else on this thread with our shared goals, no matter what stage of "Golden" we each are in.

I love what you mean to each other and I'd be honored to be included in such a group.

Andi
Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #212  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Andi, pull up a chair and grab a cup of whatever you like and just jump in. we all know "life" gets in the way at times.. look forward to getting to know you.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #213  
First Class Muncher

S/C/G: 240/204/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestisyettocome View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new here. Not sure what I'm doing, but really can use support. I've
returned to Curves two weeks ago and started on "Youngevity". Has anyone heard of these products or tried them? I'm looking forward to some good results.
I have about 70 lbs. to lose, and have the determination to get it done.

Later,
Judy

HI JUDY:
I would have sent you a PM, but I guess you have to be a member for 20 days to get private messages.

You might consider checking out the "Chick's Up for a Challenge" section. There are various threads there that focus on fitness and weight loss. I'm heading over there to find or start a thread.

Naughty
Old 07-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #214  

Judy, pull up a chair and just jump in. We look forward to getting to know you
Old 07-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #215  

Height: 5'3"

I love how we are right now communicating!! Really communicating. I am learning more about how each of you really feels in these last several posts! And I am touched by everyone of you because you are letting me know you...and while it may seem strange...I find I agree with everyone!

Judy - Welcome! I am glad you joined us...you perhaps feel you found us at a difficult moment but actually it's a good discussion where you can get to know us quickly. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Naughty - I enjoy your posts greatly! Of course it's your choice but I really hope you stay with us! You posted an article that set me on a new path of understanding with my diabetes! It was such a relief to confirm that my compulsive eating was actually caused by the high bs and not just my gluttony! I like your openness to new ways of looking at things and trying things.

Andi - welcome back! I think you made a very good point...even though we are over 50 we are all coming from different walks of life, some with children at home still, some still working and others who are older, empty nesters, retired. The great thing we can still learn from each other and encourage and enjoy each others company.

Lucinda - I find you refreshing...I don't know any other way to describe it...I love your posts..I love your discipline and that you have found a way to eat that works for you and your positivity. I will never probably share as great an enthusiasm for veggies as you do but your enthusiasm is contagious and inspires me. I like your expressions and flow of your words, somehow it's very freeing to me, not sure how to explain it. Today I know you were serious but I had to laugh because the first thing I thought of was "I talk to dead people." At the same time I can understand the role in your work must be very difficult and sensitive. You need a place to talk about other things and be supported esp in your weight loss journey as we all do. Please never think you are not respected because I respect you very much and in many ways aspire to be more like you in regard to my eating. You have accomplished a great deal and you never give up.

Cajun - I love hearing about your life!! As a mother I relate to how you feel about your sons and about your fishing trips and camping. You have added much to our little group.

Liana - You have accomplished so much in your life and are another inspiration to me. I like your straight-forward approach and share your love of research and scientific knowledge. Some of it I realize you posted in an attempt to help me and I just thought today perhaps I should have asked you to send these articles to me directly since not everyone in the group is diabetic. So that was my fault. I did learn some things from the articles and am always interested in learning new things.

Wannabe - You are another one who has helped me and inspired me esp in regard to your approach to your diabetes. I always enjoy your posts and feel you are good in responding to others.

Bobbi, Jess, Karen31 and Karen3, Rosey, Glynne - I love you all as old friends!
I love that you are sharing your hearts for this group and desire to be a close knit group where we share all kinds of things and above all keep our sense of humor. No matter what we are going through at the time we want to be able to laugh together! Sometimes we even laugh through tears as there's a time for that too. I want this group to continue to be a place of encouragement and support regardless of the differences in us.

I just know I probably forgot someone...if I did, please don't be offended, I just was going through the last page or so and may have missed your name.

Last edited by maryea; 07-22-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #216  
Jacksonville, FL

Smile

I enjoy this group....helps me cause I have vowed I would be honest with my ticker and it helps keep me on track....I like to hear how each is handling our one common issue....weight control....
Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Awww...I think we need a big group hug!

Thanks for your welcome Maryea! I'll have coffee with Stevia, thank you. :-)

I read a great book a while back called "The Friday Night Knitting Club" (If you have a chance, please read the book).... anyone else read it? About a group of women in different walks/stages of life who came together for one purpose (knitting) but became so much more connected than that as the book goes on. Reminds me of this thread!

Andi
Old 07-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #218  

Height: 5'3"

Deelou!! You're the one I missed...I just KNEW there'd be someone. I am not perfect. Please know that I am glad you are a part of our group and I always enjoy your posts.

Andi - coffee with stevia coming up right now...
Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #219  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

You're right, Mary.... Deelou was the one we missed! Now, if we could just get Koala back in the fold!

Judy, Andi - come join us! And, Andi, when I get a chance later, I have some other book titles along the same line that I think you'd like! Later, though....

Onward and upward, lovelies!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #220  
Jacksonville, FL

Smile

Happy to be here.....
Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #221  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Donna, thank you for asking about DH. He was in very bad shape a few months ago with shingles. He still has pain, but it's not as bad as it was originally. He is learning to live with it and finds that he forgets about it if he keeps busy. I'm hoping that someday he will wake up and realize that the pain is gone. It's not life threatening, but all that pain can really get you down.

Mary
, I'm glad I am able to help you with your blood sugar. I know I am always interested in what others do in case it's something that would help me. In the end, we each have to do what works best for us, and listen to the doctor.

Lucinda, my step-daughter also worked at a cemetary for a couple years. She worked with the pre-planning end of it, so her clients were still alive!

Good to see you here Andi!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #222  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Andi - these are the books I mentioned, and I love her breezy style of writing! They're fun!

Friendship Bread
by Darien Gee (Goodreads Author)

The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society

An Avalon Christmas

CarolSue - I think shingles can hang around for a long time. My case was mild, but I had the scarring for about a year after and it was a good 2-4 months of discomfort... and mine was MILD. Of course, since he's a boy, his case is going to be much more severe than any we would have!

Just got home from dinner with Mom and decided to wash the car... and while I was at it, to hose off the windows. Those flex hoses are great UNTIL they get grabbed by a yucca bush! Both brand new hoses now have holes and are useless. I am not happy! Back to the heavy old hoses for the front yard, at least.... probably worked off my dinner with all the nonsense of going back and forth and screwing and unscrewing and blah blah blah and blah!

Too hot! I need to go hose myself off and get cool! Summer, be gone!

Later!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #223  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Did anyone see the news story about people adding unsalted butter to their coffee instead of milk or cream? It adds about 450 calories to coffee. I am getting heartburn just thinking about it....
Jessie, it took me 2 years to figure out that I had to stop eating foods that hyper stimulated insulin production and I had to learn to stop eating till my tummy ached. I had gotten into the habit of stuffing myself/numbing myself with bland starchy foods...when I switched carbs/sugars for fresh vegetables and deep green flavors I started seeing improvements in my mental and physical health. .
I became a better more balanced less resentful wife and mother as I no longer resented my kids being around to witness me binge eating
Wannabehealthy..it is cemetery not cemetary. My industry associates get a lot of flak over misspelled CEMETERY

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 07-22-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #224  

Lucinda, I saw that and my only thought was YUCK!!! Of course I just like black coffee anyway. I tried to learn to drink it with cream and sugar growing up--- but just don't like it. Guess that means I just like coffee!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #225  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Oh my what a day. I hope when the dust settles, we can find a way to continue on and accept each other ~ the unique group of Golden women we are.

Carol Sue ~ glad your husband is doing better. Wasn't it you a while back who had a surgery and a wound that was slow to heal and a visiting nurse? If so, glad that finally healed and you don't have to worry about that any more.

Deelou ~ I'm glad being here has helped you to keep on track.

Mary ~ I feel kind of like you. I don't agree with every bit of some of what is shared, but at the same time, I find something always from each one that I can identify with.

Andi ~ I liked what you said: I think a part of this issue might be that some of the newer members (myself included) are still working/raising kids/grandkids and don't have the long relationships as some of our more senior members. In addition, we may be stealing a few minutes of breaktime at work or between errands to post. As such, the newer members post what's important (or quick) to them, which may not resonate well with the senior members who would prefer personals. I'm sure I've been guilty of this, too.

I am retired now, but not even a year yet. So, I can identify with what you said about not being able to do the personals. I do them more often now, but it is because now I have more time. Back along I was always feeling guilty because I felt like I should be, but while working it just seemed such an overwhelming task.

Join us as often as you are able.

Karen MO ~ how is Tim doing? And Sissy with out her buddy? How are you holding up?

Lucinda ~ As I said earlier ~ you help me to think in a positive way. Thank you. When you commented about other's posts about weddings, vacations and craft rooms ~ (forgive me if this doesn't come out right ~ I am trying my best). My thought was that these things are perhaps the same for them as when you share your descriptions of your delicious salads and your walks and zumba. These things for them either affect their ability to stay on track or help them by providing diversion and keep them from giving in to eating something they would later wish they hadn't. Each person deals with this weight loss/trying to be healthy thing in their own way. That is what we all are trying to share I think.

Naughty ~ I appoligize for the way my post came out. I have nothing against the newcomers. I am glad you all have come along. I guess maybe many of us are just missing the way things used to be and I think some of us have been not participating as much because of that. It is our fault then ~ how are our new GG's supposed to get a feel for how this group is if we aren't providing anything to go by. The poem that Bobbi puts at the start of the first post of each new month kind of summarizes us. Kind of a little of everything ~ because I think all of these things are tied together and affect our quest to lose weight and improve our health.

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you when you turned 50? 60? 70? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other.

I liked what you said in your post: We are all unique and one size doesn't fit all. Information is power. Sometimes, the information is not right for us, but may fit for others. That is the benefit of sharing.

Give us a chance

Karen FL ~ I especially liked these parts of your post: We share our dreams, hopes and worries. Dieting is a part of our lives, but only a part of the whole package. Be sure to bring your sense of humor and prepare to laugh even thru your tears.

Cajun ~ your future daughter-in-law sounds like a real sweet heart. I always enjoy hearing about your weekend adventures.

Donna ~ I liked what you said: We're interested in science, we're also interested in each other. Interest in what other people are doing is good. Response to comments is good. There is room for both clinical and personal interaction here, and that's what we're saying we miss. Weight loss is fine, but it's the People who are doing the weight loss.

Just saw your post about your hoses Donna ~ maybe you could use the damaged hoses like those “soaker” hoses in flower beds. Just a thought.

Liana ~ thank you for trying to help us by providing information. I don't always understand all of it, but am able to get some help from it.

Welcome Judy ~ I hope what has happened here today hasn't discouraged you from joining us. On better days, it really is a fun and caring place.

Rosey ~ how is Mr. CP doing? How about your granddaughter? Are you doing ok? Have you and the pups been able to enjoy some time in the sun on the deck?

I hesitated to post ~ hoped that I didn't say anything wrong or hurt anyone. If I did ~ that was not my intent. If I left anyone out ~ that was unintentional.

Soon will be bed time here ~ Maddie comes pretty early, so I'd better quit fooling around and get ready for bed.

Hope you all rest well.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 07-22-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Closed Thread