Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #181  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

After asking Lucinda about making pizzas out of the eggplant ~ I came across this on Facebook ~ pinned from Pinterest, so thought I'd share.

Eggplant Pizzas
Prep Time: 5 minutes Sit Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 4
Mini pizzas made on eggplant slices that are tasty, easy to make and kid friendly!

ingredients
1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup pizza sauce
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
1 ounce pepperoni
directions
Sprinkle the eggplant with the coarse salt, let sit on paper towels for 20 minutes and wipe dry.
Brush the eggplant slices with oil and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Roast the eggplant in a preheated 400F oven until it just starts to turn tender, about 15-20 minutes. (Do not let them become too soft or mushy.)
Top the eggplant with sauce, cheese and pepperoni and broil until the cheese has melted, about 3-5 minutes.

Option: Grill the eggplant instead of baking them.

Note: Eggplant can get bitter with age and salting it helps draw out that bitterness. If you are using younger eggplants you can skip the salting and save some time.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 212, Fat 13g (Saturated 5g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 31mg, Sodium 411mg, Carbs 12g (Fiber 5g, Sugars 4g), Protein 10gNutrition by:
Nutritional facts powered by Edamam
Simple Pizza Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 2 cups
A quick and easy pizza sauce made with fresh tomatoes.

ingredients
2 cups tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
salt and pepper to taste
directions
Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the tomatoes and oregano and cook for 10 minutes.
Puree the sauce, return it to the pan, season with salt and pepper and simmer until it reduces to a thick sauce, about 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 120, Fat 7g (Saturated 0.5g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 0, Sodium 10mg, Carbs 13g (Fiber 3g, Sugars 6g), Protein 2g

Not sure I'd go to the trouble of making the sauce as I am looking for something easy. I have read where you could make pizza crust out of cauliflower, but that sounded yummy, it just seemed like an awful lot of trouble to go through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eggplant Pizzas 500w 1377.jpg (47.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by glynne; 07-21-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #182  

Height: 5'3"

So excited....I had a perfect (normal normal! LOL) bs before lunch today and I even had a snack in between! So think the med has definitely kicked in.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #183  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy for you Mary
Old 07-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #184  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

I think I got snotty/snarky earlier today because I did not exercise yet. I do admit that the bulk of my juicing is veggies and I juice less than 3 times a week, but when I do juice it is a very satisfying experience. I put ginger and sometimes jalapenos in my juice and top it off with cinnamon. I use cucumbers and zuccinis, carrots beets tomatos and just a handful of grapes/blueberries/strawberries. I make about 3 cups of juice and it lasts me from morning to afternoon as I sip it at work. There is fiber left over in it, so I do get to chew too.
HORRAY Maryea! I was so glad to read that your blood sugar levels came down to normal range. WHat a relief!
You are doing something right to get that back in check...I wish for your continued success in taming the sugar witch.

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 07-21-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #185  
kosherveganchick

Eggplant for me is eaten without cheese or meat. I like to roast hunks/slabs of eggplant with just a tiny bit of cumin, garlic, salt and a spritz of Pam olive oil spray. I turn the oven to about 450 degrees and check onit every -12-20 minutes or so..I use parchment paper on a cookie sheet and the thicker the slabs the juicier the slice.
I used to get headaches from peppers and eggplants and other "night -shade" vegetables but since eliminating all sugar and grain and simple carbs from my life I have not had a migraine! So its peppers and eggplant at liberty!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #186  

Hi everyone. Maryea im so happy your new meds are helping Lucinda,i admire your positive attitude and sticking to what works for you. You were not snarking,just trying to share your views. each us knows how to diet, but have to do what works for ourselves. after all we are all different,and need to respect that. Here's to success for each of us ,by the way I have never eaten eggplant,i'll have to try it rosey
Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #187  
First Class Muncher

S/C/G: 240/204/140

Height: 5'7"

HEY EVERYONE:
What is everyone using for movement tracking devices and food tracking. I've observed that Fitbit (for movement) and Fitday (for food doc.) are used by some - anything else? I'm thinking about getting another device. I've misplaced my Fitbit and it has been awhile. I think I need to declare it permanently lost and just buy something.

I did a little online research and this device caught my eye: Withings Pulse O2 Activity, Sleep, and Heart Rate Tracker. You can clip it on (bra or waist band, etc.) or wear it like a watch. I think I like the option to wear it two different ways. I've had both Fitbit devices and arm/wrist devices. I've found that for walking, something worn on my bra or waist tends to be more accurate. I've found for me, when I wear a device on my wrist/arm, that whatever I do with the arm I wear it on, impacts my reading.

What is your experience? Any thoughts to share?
Naughty
Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #188  

Height: 5'3"

Naughty - I use My Fitness Pal. Of course everyone is different but to me I have found I rarely have to enter a food in MFP because the data base is SO large. Even the Filipino foods we make are often in there and I've learned to check before going to the trouble of adding anything from a cookbook too. Tonight I made Shanghai Chicken and Noodles (we didn't like it)...and found it in the database. With that one I did have to adjust the amount a bit as it did not come up with the amount I needed but it was easy to do and the nutrient values came up just right...I know because they were given in the recipe.

I have not tried Fitbit, but my dd uses a Garmin...not sure if that's the same? I believe it is worn like a watch on the wrist. She is a runner and uses it when running but think it can be used in other ways too probably. I've only used the cheap pedometers and they were never very accurate.

Glynne - That pizza recipe sounds good. I've never tried eggplant that way. I did try stir-frying it and I thought it was ok but dh didn't like it.

Lucinda - I have never thought of grilling eggplant. Might try that. I love zucchini on the grill....I drizzle with a bit of olive oil. I want to get a juicer. Do you recommend Jack Lalanne's or is there another that's better? It is not something I'd do often ...so don't want to spend too much.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #189  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
So excited....I had a perfect (normal normal! LOL) bs before lunch today and I even had a snack in between! So think the med has definitely kicked in.
So glad the new meds are helping!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #190  

Smile Greetings

Hi everyone,
I'm brand new here. Not sure what I'm doing, but really can use support. I've
returned to Curves two weeks ago and started on "Youngevity". Has anyone heard of these products or tried them? I'm looking forward to some good results.
I have about 70 lbs. to lose, and have the determination to get it done.

Later,
Judy
Old 07-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #191  
kosherveganchick

Welcome Judy! I have heard really nice things about Curves but the other thing Youngevity is new to me...is it a philosophy or something else?
Maryea, I have been very satisfied with my $90.00 Jack La Lane Juicer. It does not juice greens like spinach or kale but it does turn carrots, red peppers beets cucumbers and grapes into a delicious filling beverage.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #192  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Cajun, so glad to hear your antibiotics are helping and you are staying on plan. Sounds like you've been having a good time!

Mary, I'm glad to hear that your meds are kicking in. The exercise is helping too! We have a lot in common, because too much caffiene gives me bladder problems, also.

If you get a juicer, I would suggest that you get one that keeps the pulp in the juice. The one my husband has (an Oster) removes the pulp, but that is where all the fiber is. You want that pulp in your juice, I think.

Naughty Nibbler
- I use a Fitbit One that clips on your belt, goes in your pocket or clips onto your bra. I keep mine in my pocket. I chose that one because I did not want to be wearing the wrist band when I was dressed up. The only problem I have with it is it counts how many times you go up a flight of stairs, but it doesn't always record it for me because I go up stairs one step at a time because of my knee. I usually have to go up fairly fast for it to record it. They sell them in Kohls and I had a couple Kohls gift cards that I had received but not spent, so I used them to buy the Fitbit. I have heard of some others, but when you read the reviews they are pretty much the same. It just depends on you, what results you want from it.

Gayle, I'm going to copy your eggplant pizza recipe to my online recipe file. I think you could also make it with zucchini. The home made sauce would probably be healthier than store- bought. Maybe you could make extra and freeze it for the next time. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #193  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi Judy and welcome! I used to be a Curves Complete Coach a while ago until new owners decided to work more themselves. If you really go for it and work the machines you can do some pretty amazing stuff. Of course, lots of the ladies mainly came for the camaraderie and weren't as careful with their eating and some just 'went through the motions' on the circuit. Hopefully you have a good motivational coach at your Curves that can help keep you focused and energized. Do you do Zumba in the Circuit or the Jillian Michaels workout?

Liana
Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #194  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

I am probably the oldest member of Golden Girls and have been a member for more than the 6 years that show because the site crashed in 08. As a Senior Crone I have had it. You all have become so busy me me me ing that you don't show any warmth or caring about each other. This site is about friendship and support not who's system works the best. The best part of GG has always been the support. We laugh about sending out a posse but believe me if needed we'd be there. STOP worrying about "Me" and start thinking about how to treat each other. This is not a lecture but a wake up call.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #195  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

KarenFL - you aren't wrong. We've become the thread of lecturing, a forum to show off how smart we are. I'd like to see a lot more of "Cajun - hang in there, because we know you're trying" or "Lucinda - you've been down the road, and you're doing so well"....

This thread has been around for a very long time, and it would be a shame for it to die out.
Closed Thread