3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #136

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Cajun....generations of family will be back to haunt you if you stop cooking Cajun. Why honey child greens without fat back is illegal. Bacon and Bacon fat are a gift from God. The French have their butter (well so does Paula) Germans their kraut, Spanish their chillis, English their tea and crumpets. Celebrate the difference and enjoy your life. Moderation does the trick. k3
Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #137
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Welcome back Naughty Nibbler! And thanks for the interesting post. I recognized all the stressors in your life as they each have been part of my background too, in one way or another.
Right now I am nourishing myself with a Juice I made in my Jack La Lane juicer. I have Zumba class tonight and I need to have enough oomph in my body to work it to the max!

If I had won an all expense trip to an electric music festival I would be "so there" too. That is the music all my nephews and my older kids listen too. Intoxicating and hypnotic.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #138

S/C/G: 163/135/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 53 yrs old

Working a Security gig overnight tonight so I have to budget in a snack and my coffee (although I take it black & plain). Gonna be a protein bar for ease of eating and I have to wear my full pants and uniform shirt so I hope it cools down below 33C tonight. I probably won't be logging on till later in the afternoon tomorrow.

Yeah, Cajun, I know it's not quite the 'real thing' but the 'real thing' got us in trouble in the first place. Moderation works great for maintenance, but not as well for weight loss, as we have to be stricter to get down, lol.

The air is full of smoke tonight as there are several bad forest fires in our area and the wind is carrying smoke to us. I'm bringing my Ventolin with me tonight to work. The smell brings back scary memories as I have been in an apartment fire when I was 17 (not injured but damage to my home), and have been evacuated twice from our houses for a couple weeks at a time on two different interface fires. I worked with Red Cross Emergency Services to get people set up with food & shelter and contact with relatives during those last two times.
TTFN
Liana

Maintenance since March 5, 2014
Old 07-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #139

Height: 5'3"

Another warm day. I had to get up early to go get lab work done prior to my doctor appt tomorrow. Othewise we stayed home. We got some bad news today regarding our health insurance. Remember a while back I mentioned that I could not find another doctor who would take on new Medicare patients? Well today we got a letter from our doctor/clinic informing us they will no longer be accepting traditional Medicare and supplements. It appears it includes TriCare4Life, the military insurance we have. Very disappointing because this is health coverage miilitary people were promised to always have. One of the reasons many stayed in. I guess if you can find a doctor who will take it without Medicare, and you pay the rest, it's possible to use it but I doubt that will happen for us. My understanding is that in part they are paying for the Affordable Care Act with Medicare cuts in doctor and other health care payments. The times they are a changing for sure....

I've done pretty well with my eating today...most of the time my bs has been high but I did have one almost diabetic normal. I guess I lost my watering job...dh has gone back to doing it. I really enjoyed it and hated to give it up but he enjoys it too. I did do some harvesting today though...zucchini, broccoli and green beans.. and gave some zuccchini to a neighbor.

Naughty - Glad to get to know you better. Things are in such upheaval these days. I hope the insurance thing works out well for you. One of the problems is it was not planned well enough IMHO. My PT told me over a year ago that she knew we were in trouble because there were not enough trained medical people to handle the load of patients. Even then she was having trouble getting full-time PTs and knew it would only get harder. I'm not happywith how it is affecting us and we thought we were unaffected by it being military. Guess not. But I guess some are happy with it.

I can understand how hard it must be to have elderly parents. I hate to think that my dh and I might one day be a burden for our kids. Only two live near us and one is at least a good 30 min away depending on the traffic...it can be a lot longer. Plus that one's husband will have a parent to help too although she is a little younger than I.

Thanks for the afirmations! I'm repeating them:
I can do this one day at a time
I feel better when I'm in control of my eating and get exercise
I have the choice. I can do it and it doesn't have to be perfect to reap benefits.

Cana - Sorry to hear about the fires...we have quite a number in WA and OR too. That would be a difficult experience and be reminded of.
My son used to work security. Take care. Did you have fun dancing?
I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym. If everything goes well with dh's eye we plan on starting back next week.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #140

S/C/G: 217/200/175

Height: 5'3

Lucinda, thank you for the suggestions for avoiding the sugar. I trust them, because I know how this has worked for you. I think my lack of vegetables lately is causing my sugar cravings. I had 0 sugar cravings after I upped my vegetable consumption.

Mary, before I went to the doctor for my new med I had many bs readings in the 300s and at least 1 in the 400s. Someone on another board told me over 300 you should go to the ER. One night when I had a high reading took a walk on my treadmill to lower it a bit, but in the end, I had to take the additional med to get back to a safe level. I've been up lately, but plan on getting back to my high veggie consumption and correct that. I have lowered my blood sugar, but I wish I could lower my weight, too. Still eating too much for my activity level.

I hope your husband's eye problems improve. I need to see the optomologist soon, too, but have been putting it off.

I'm less than perfect, and that's OK!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #141
First Class Muncher

S/C/G: 240/204/140

Height: 5'7"

Cana:
Hope they get control of the fires soon and the air clears!

Lucinda:
I hear that the Jack La Lane blender is a good product. Jack was truely a fitness pioneer. I have all the ingredients for a smoothie, so think I'll get out my Magic Bullet later today and give it a try

Maryea:

Hope you have AC for the warm weather. I'm enjoying mild temps here in CA, but things will heat up next week. I don't have AC, so I really hate hot weather.

Sorry to hear you have a health insurance problem as well. I can really identify with losing your physician (s). I, also, had heard that they were going to cut the Medicare reimbursements to help pay for Obamacare. There were some delys in the cuts, but looks like they may be kicking in soon and your doctor is getting ready.

Although I won't be able to use my primary care doctor for a couple of years, until I go on Medicare, I know he does take Medicare and probably will continue to take it. Recently, my primary care doc changed his focus from primary care to geriatric care (50 and over). I guess if there is a doctor apt to keep Medicare patients it would be one with that speciality. Also, there is a benefit in that a geriatric doctor is "allowed" to spend more time with their patients (in accordance with billing rules).

Although Medicare is government involved health care, I hate government getting more involved with health care. I see what they have done to veterans and I'm appalled. Still can't fathom how so many members of congress can vote for a bill like Obamacare without reading it. Sara Palin was laughed at when she mentioned death panels and rationing, but it will be a reality with the government involved.

Naughty
Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #142
First Class Muncher

NO MATTER HOW SLOW YOU GO,
YOU ARE STILL LAPPING EVERYBODY
ON THE COUCH!

Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #143

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies. Naughty I love your lil dancing things. You are a breathe of fresh air. I had to smile. Welcome.
K3 that bacon and sausage is why I'm on 3 fat chicks!!! We eat for entertainment. Cook outs. Your right though there is only so much you can cut out of a recipe and still enjoy it. But I'm trying really hard to get down for my sons wedding in March. I will to. You will see. Your voice will get a vacation from me.
Mary I'm worried about you and your sugar. It seems your sugar levels are up as much as down. Hopefully you get answers today with your doc. Glad dh us better and enjoying outdoors again.
Liana be safe from that smoke. I hurt for all those people who lose everything to fires.
Nothing going on this week. Rain coming for the next 3 or 4 days. :-(. Depressing. Ds ate supper with us again last night. Enjoy our time with him. Missing our other son. He doesn't live on our property. It's not as convenient to see him.

Hi to all. Gotta go.
Hugs cajun
Old 07-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #144

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

This made me tired just reading about it!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...53772728_n.png

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.Ē ~
Old 07-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #145

S/C/G: 217/200/175

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
This made me tired just reading about it!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...53772728_n.png

Karen, I would go down 1 time and someone would have to pull me back up! LOL

I'm less than perfect, and that's OK!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #146
kosherveganchick

Maryea! I am so dissapointed with how the government has changed our health care options
I feel as though they figure they can stall us all til we fade away or die.
Promises the government made to our men and women(my daughter included) have been broken.
She also is not receieving the benefits promised to her.
Maybe it is time for an overhaul and a change of leadership in the White House.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #147

Height: 5'3"

We had to get up even earlier today (groan! I am NOT a morning person!) to go to dh's eye appt with his surgeon. Even though traffic was kinda bad we still got there before the office opened...but there were people in the waiting room already, so we joined them and waited at least 15 min. We were there total over two hours. He said that dh is healing fine and his vision is improving..20/30 now and he removed some stitches which should help too in fact dh felt after the stitches were removed he was already seeing better. His pressure was up to 16 but still in normal range and that was before the stitches were removed so hopefully will go down again. Although his regular eye doctor said no restrictions, his surgeon today said continue not to be in dusty areas like garden, mowing lawn etc, and don't lift anything heavy for another week. Dh wasn't happy to hear that, but agreed to be good. He is now turned over to his regular eye doctor so if he gets too antsy, and since his regular doc said no restrictions, we may have to compromise at 1/2 week, but I'm not telling him that yet. He did bring in some garden veggies...boy they grow overnight!

This afternoon we have our diabetic doctor appt. We go together. So I'm expecting my A1C to be 7.3 or 7.4 and to get a new prescription. Maybe it's because of the appt but I am doing better with my eating now. I haven't gotten back to tracking though so not sure about my calories, just keep track vaguely in my head and focus mostly on carbs. Cajun, yes my bs have been up more than down in recent months. I'm ashamed that I really haven't tried much until the last few days..just off and on for a few days at a time...since I last saw my doctor and that's been four months. When I first went on the One plan, I did really well for about a week, but then went back to my night eating. My meals continue to be ok but until the last couple days I was even overeating in the afternoon. It's like I've been driven to eat... I do not think it was the One plan though as it was not that much different than what I was already doing. I tend to just naturally be a carb eater but do eat some protein and probably more veggies than the average person if I'm home. But for some reason I was just going crazy with my eating! The last couple days show I can control my eating , but it is now too late for this appt and A1C. Oh well, I'll take the medicine and try to become like wannabe...LOL I wannabe like Wannabe!

Lucinda - I don't want to get too political on this forum, but I agree!

Karen31 - I used to love squats ...since I stopped the circuit training class, I only do them at home and not daily and I've kinda lost my form. I can still do them but it's harder, my knees aren't comfortable and I bend over too much.
We plan to start back to the gym...maybe even tomorrow...at least by next week and I think I'm going to get back to that class asap. I'm a little afraid to trust dh in the weight room right now but as soon as I feel he's ok, I will do that. I prefer the weight room overall but in some ways I think the circuit training class was good for me.

NaughtyLucinda - I've been doing a little research online and more and more docs are stopping their acceptance of traditional medicare and supplements. What they are doing is going to the Medicare Advantage programs. So your Medicare is still in play but handled by the advantage program and apparently the doctors get more money that way. Since Tricare picks up what Medicare doesn't we thought we were ok, but the doctor still doesn't get nearly as much as he asks. How much they get also varies from area to area across country. Our doctor told me this. I do not believe my doctor is overpricing his services and understand that he has to make enough to pay his upkeep for his clinic etc., but hate that to support a program I don't even believe in, we are losing the use of the military benefit my dh and sons have earned. My dh spent 331/2 years in military service, my oldest son has been in for 26 years with one year in Iraq and my youngest son was in at least three years.
One of my dds was in for a short time too. I am thankful that we can join an Advantage program that from what our clinic letter says is not very expensive in premiums, however I'm sure there will likely be co-pays for visits/services that we have not had to pay because of TriCare. I'm wondering if we could get TriCare to pick up some of that? It is all so confusing and I don't even know where to begin...TriCare is not good at answering questions...hate to even call them. Medicare has been paying less and less while expecting doctors to do more and more documentation and even other things to comply. My doctors practice is mostly Medicare patients and the end result is that he has to spend LESS time with his patients! Most of his time with us is spent documenting on the computer rather than looking at us plus he will only talk about 1-2 issues at any visit, maybe 3 if they don't take too much time. He never used to be that way.

Wannabe - The night I was over 400, I felt no differently. I went to bed and the only thing I felt was a couple nerve pains in my legs, but that is not really unusual, and I've had worse. But I wanted to be sure I didn't go into a coma as dh probably wouldn't even notice, so I got up and drank a lot of water and my bs came down pretty rapidly. It is scary when it goes that high and I hope it never does again. Hopefully with a second med I won't.

Well, need to rest a bit before our appt. You all take care...it's a warm day here so suppose it is for most of you.

I can do this one day at a time
I feel better when I'm in control of my eating and get exercise
I have the choice. I can do it and it doesn't have to be perfect to reap benefits.

Last edited by maryea; 07-17-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #148
kosherveganchick

Maryea, my daughter served in the navy and was deployed 4 times, so I know from whence you speak!
UGGG I won't get political here, it's not the place or time. We can just commiserate with one another.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #149
First Class Muncher

Maryea:
Here is some info. that might help explain why diabetics can have problems with hunger.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
From: http://www.sharecare.com/health/diab...cessive-hunger
Can diabetes cause excessive hunger?
William Lee Dubois, Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, answered

Yes. No. Sort of. Well, ok, hereís the deal. The shinboneís connected to the thighbone, the thighboneís connected to theÖ. Diabetes can cause high blood sugar, and high blood sugar can give you the munchies. So diabetes doesnít, by itself, make you hungry. Itís the high blood sugar that can come from out-of-control diabetes that does.

Which is crazy, if you think about it. For the most part, the human body does a really great job of maintaining a stable state using a process of small adjustments and counter-adjustments called homeostasis. In the case of blood sugar, the body normally keeps the sugar level just right by balancing little squirts of insulin from the pancreas with little squirts of sugar from the liver. If the liver is running low on its sugar stores your body will give you an advanced headís up that you need to refuel by sending out hunger signals.

Where things get weird is that if your blood sugar is already high, the last thing you need is more sugar (in the form of food), right? But in fact, high blood sugar does cause hunger, even though you do not need more food. This is caused largely by a miss-communication within the bodyís sugar homeostasis system.

Every cell in your body relies on sugar from the blood for food, but they need insulin to get to the sugar. Itís insulin that moves sugar from the blood to the cells. If there is not enough insulin, or if it isnít working very well, sugar piles up in the blood while at the same time, itís not getting into the cells where itís needed.

Being in a state of high blood sugar is sort of like starving to death in the Chef Boyardee warehouse because you donít have a can opener.

The cells donít really realize that there is a ton of sugar just beyond their membranes; all they know is that they are not getting any and so they send out the message: letís eat!
The body doesnít really know there is a ton of sugar in the blood either, so it sends the cells signals to the brain: let's eat! Perversely, the higher the blood sugar goes, the louder the signal can become. High blood sugar gives you the munchies, so you eat, which causes your blood sugar to go even higher, which causes more munchies.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

If I have so much sugar in my blood why do I feel so tired and hungry all the time?

When you have diabetes, glucose (the type of sugar that we call 'blood sugar') is trapped in the blood in high amounts. Your cells aren't absorbing glucose properly, and that's why you may feel hungry and lack energy much of the time. Your body cells are crying out for nourishment despite having sugar all around them. It's easy for a person with diabetes to overeat in response to these 'hunger feelings' and gain weight. This weight gain, especially when the weight is held in the belly area, actually predisposes a person to diabetes and makes it harder to control once you have it because it increases insulin resistance. This inability to use insulin properly causes the pancreas to work harder and tire sooner. Lowering insulin resistance is one of the most important keys to successful diabetes management.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

ANOTHER SOURCE OF INFO:

http://www.mealplansfordiabetics.com
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #150

S/C/G: 163/135/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 53 yrs old

Insulin resistance - sux!
Even smokier today... staying indoors as there is an air quality advisory in effect.
I won't get political either except to say I'm sure glad I live in Canada and we don't have to worry at all about which docs we choose or if our hospital is 'on the list' and whether we can afford treatment. I feel for all you gals going thru the health issues. My SIL is married to an American & they have lived in Maryland for many years - she's been in the US since the 70's and they have had a bit of trouble getting their Obamacare or Medicare (not sure which set up) - the system has been so overwhelmed that it is bogged down and it is taking so long to get their accreditation or membership or whatever it's called.

Dancing doesn't happen til the first weekend of August - festival then, but I did walk 20 minutes briskly out of every hour for 6 hours last night at work, lol. Practice... but I didn't bust a move in front of the condos or on the boat docks, lol.

Maintenance since March 5, 2014
Closed Thread