Insurance helping gym payments?

• Hello all-- I'm new to this site and while browsing some of the forums I came across a couple posts regarding insurance helping pay for gym memberships these days? Is this true? If anyone knows of this or has had help with gym memberships lately please enlighten me. Thanks, I appreciate it.
  • Quote: Hello all-- I'm new to this site and while browsing some of the forums I came across a couple posts regarding insurance helping pay for gym memberships these days? Is this true? If anyone knows of this or has had help with gym memberships lately please enlighten me. Thanks, I appreciate it.
    Do you know if they were talking about Canadian health plans or US ones? - makes a huge difference.
  • I have a US health plan, Oxford freedom plan, and they give my hubby (main policy holder) $100 for every six months he goes to the gym a certain amount of times. Oxford has paperwork that you bring to the gym and each time you sign in, it gets initialed.
  • In the US, some plans cover gym memberships and some don't. Most specify a specific gym. Their reasoning is that if you exercise, your health will improve and there will be fewer payouts for them down the line. Check with your health plan administrator. Since this post is in the over 50 forum, I will say that most Medicare plans work with one gym or another.
  • My insurance doesn't cover membership but a lady at my gym said hers did. Like someone earlier said. You have to go a certain amount of times.

My cousin has something similar at her job. She has to w ear a pedometor and try and do 5,000 steps a day. At the end of the year they tally it up and I THINK there is a penality if you dont make it. I'll ask her and update this post.
  • We have UCare insurance and it covers 100% gym cost, no matter which one you go to. Just check with your insurance agency.
  • Call your insurance and see if they have Silver Sneakers..
    I have it and it covers the YMCA
  • My husband's company covers him for $100 sneakers each year and up to $150 towards a gym membership. It doesn't cover dependents but that's ok, still a great benefit!