Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello girls. Donna praying for you.
Dieting is still 100% on tract. Tomorrow is weigh in day. Very hopeful!! I have an incentive to get these lbs off now. I don't want to be the mother of the groom walking down the isle looking like a buffalo. There is no time I can say eat this I have time to lose. I don't. I have 9 months.
Ds 's gf called the church to see what's needed to book the church and they will meet him Thursday afternoon after work. We are on the ride now. Lol. It's exciting. Dh and I have been married 30 years and are finally getting a daughter!! I told her that and she had watery eyes. Dh told her that she had to ask him for his sons hand in marriage just like ds had to do to her dad. She told him that if he didn't give him to her we wouldn't be getting a daughter. Sha lil girl. So sweet. She is very close to her parents and ds is to us too. I was picking on her and told her that they were both spoiled rotten that we would have to see about cutting the cord. She said no never. We like that cord attached to y'all. How sweet is that. What a gift she is to our family.
I've been trying to type thus all day and I have yo stop again. Just going to send without personals. Hi y'all.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 06-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #152  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

I am surprised at what my body has decided to let me do. My upper body is all of a sudden bony. It looks sort of interesting and on the wild side.
My belly sadly is loose and saggy where my babies were delivered by c/sec umpteen years ago.
My ankles are cankles--calf and ankle combos.
But when I dance at ZUMBA I can shake my booty like a 20 year old. I can now jump and kick and I never would have believed that losing a moderate amount of weight would create so much change. I just must be true to myself and respect my inner voice.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #153  

Height: 5'3"

Rosey - Yes, you are right, Zocor (and other Statins) are known for causing aches and pains. I don't know that I have ever actually heard cramps but they also cause muscle weakness so kind of makes sense. I'm not sure though...I may have had the cramps before the Zocor, but I have also had a lot of pain in my legs...achiness I mean...all my life and I think the Zocor just makes it worse. My doctor agreed with that..even said he's more achy since taking it, but so far he doesn't acknowledge it's causing the cramps. I do suspect it's making them worse at least. Many post menapausal women have cramps of course and who knows what's causing ...could be several reasons some of which Liana mentioned but also many of those women are also taking Statins. I don't like taking it. I don't eat a lot of animal products but I do eat some. But with diabetes and a gene that only 8% of the population has that tends to cause inflammation, I can't take a chance. Next time when they the cramps are really bad, I might test it though by going off it for a little bit like I've done before when I got too achy. Thanks for your input!

Lucinda - I am So proud of you!! You're right you have to do what is best for you.

Donna - So glad to hear you came through the surgery ok. Can't wait til all the tough time is over and you can dance again!

My bs has been good today other than the first one of the day despite have brunch with the retirees.

Last edited by maryea; 06-17-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #154  
Jacksonville, FL

I cannot take statins I was feeling like I was 20 years older and terrible cramping if you look up muscle weakness with statins online you will see some people react this way. I only took them for three weeks then stopped and felt better and started them again and all symptoms came back. The bad thing is if you take them for a while and have symptoms and quit the damage may be done and you have it with or without statins...it scared me...another reason I am so determined to lose weights,
Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #155  

Good morning friends! What a morning! Today is weigh in day! I'm down 5 lbs! I know it's the 1st week and it's mostly fluid but I'm happy. Now to prepare myself for the plateau that come the next couple weeks from my body adjusting. I can't get discouraged. I HAVE to lose some of this weight before March. So I can look half decent.
I started the guest list last night. I'd saved a lot of addresses from ds graduation so that helped. I think between bride and groom we will have 300 invitations. They chose 8 bridesmaids and groomsmen. They had a hard time choosing. Had to leave some friends out. They are well loved by all. Y'all are going to be sick of me posting wedding things as they progress. Lol. Just tell me stop Cajun. Lol.

Donna I hope you are not in too much pain. Praying for a successful surgery and quick recovery.
Mary sorry to hear about your leg cramps. I get those sometimes. They are painful.
Deelou I like your 5 lb goal. It's reasonable. Sometimes when we look at the large picture it's overwhelming. And can sabotage a diet very quickly.
Lucinda I have never seen someone with your strong willpower. Share the wealth my friend. I admire you!!!
K3 I saw you pop in. Come back and chat with us awhile. I miss you. Hope you are well.
Liana I like the information you post. Very informing.
Rosey I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with gd. I can just picture y'all curled up snuggling. How precious a memory.
Bobbi I had completely forgotten about donna's surgery. Thanks for the reminder. Did you get your painting finished. How's 1-1-1 going?
Carol sue I agree the walking idea in the house. Just a 10lb weight loss makes a big difference.
Ellen sorry I forgot to welcome you.
Hi to all I forgot. I'm going change my ticker!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs
Cajun
Old 06-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Congrats on your losses Cajun! My DH & I had over 300 invited too (over 32 yrs ago now) with lots of family (I am Italian & he is Pol-krainian - depending on where the border was at any given point in history, lol) and a huge amount of friends. We stuck to only a Flowergirl, Maid of Honour and a Best Man so that no one felt left out. Everyone wanted to have a part in the wedding so we had an immediate family dinner at a restaurant, then everyone brought pot-luck for the reception. With Italians and Polish/Ukrainians you can guess how much wonderful food there was, . Our money went to a big dance band and real flowers - two things that mattered the most as all our friends & family LOOOVE to dance. We paid for the whole wedding ourselves as parents didn't have that kind of excess cash at the time.

Anyone heard how Donna is doing?
Liana
Old 06-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #157  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

I haven't been able to get on here much lately. We have Maddie everyday all day now that school is out. Never a dull moment. By the time she goes home in the evening, I am too tired to do much else. I think I remember Rosey and Cajun saying that they did/do day care for kids. My hat's off to you guys. There are two of us and only one Maddie and she keeps us busy every second. Not a moment to relax when she is here.

Welcome Ellen glad to have you with us.

Donna ~ thinking of you ~ hope your surgery went well and you are not having too much pain.

Deelou ~ congratulations on reaching your first goal.

Lucinda ~ Wow on your awesome Zumba moves. Way to go. Your self control with the foods is wonderful. I need to be more like that.

Mary ~ hope this round of cramping gets over with quickly. Sounds like you had a nice weekend ~ getting to spend time with your kids.

Cajun ~ how exciting your son's engagement and the wedding plans. Sorry to hear about the loss of your son's dog.

Rosey ~ I agree with Bobbi ~ what you said about each of us being able to choose what ever works best for us, and how we should support each others right to make that choice. Love how your granddaughter snuggled up with you and your pups in your recliner. You are one special grandma

Bobbi ~ thank you for the answers to my many questions. How is the painting going?

Karen FL ~ I spent part of the night in my recliner and thought of you ~ and hoped I didn't make a wrong move and end up like you did.

Donna RN ~ hope you are enjoying your vacation.

Karen MO ~ how is Tim doing? How is Ginger doing? Hope you are holding up ok.

Lynn ~ how is the WW going? Hope you are getting some results. It is frustrating to try and not make much progress. You can do it ~ you've done it before. Hang in there.

Carol Sue ~ a diabetic friend of mine said Almond milk was a good substitute as it had a lot less carbs than regular milk.

Liana ~ I like the spaghetti squash in the microwave too ~ quicker and doesn't heat up the kitchen in the hot weather. I either put spaghetti sauce on it and a sprinkle of parmasean cheese, or just plain with parmasean cheese sprinkled on it.

I was sick in the night Monday night. Didn't feel very good all day yesterday. Poor Maddie ~ she had made a bunny the day before at the Build-A-Bear workshop place and wanted me to help her make some clothes for it. I felt so crummy that I just couldn't do it. She kept checking on me all day to see if I was ready ~ “It's easy Grandma, it won't take very long.”

Today Grandpa took her to a movie and the library. I don't know how he does it ~ trying to keep up with her is exhausting to me. So hopefully, I can relax and will feel better tomorrow so we can work on her project.

Hope you all are having a good day.

Last edited by glynne; 06-18-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #158  

Stopping to rest as I type this. It's been a busy day. Gym this morning, again I only walked/jogged 1/2 mile and rode the bike 19 min. DH was done so I didn't do anything else. At least it was something. Then we went grocery shopping, came home and made a few phone calls regarding dh's surgery. Then I went to the mall for manicure and hair cut. It is short again and feels better.

Dh got the shirt I won for him yesterday. Hasn't tried it on yet but it's very pretty. Then yesterday I won an app for my phone which helps with navigation, it's a compass and more. Haven't had time to check it all out yet. So that's three wins so far this month. That's about what I've been getting but was entering a lot more recently so hoping for more to come.

Glynne - Hope you are feeling better now. It's hard to not feel well and have children to care for. I'm like you, no child care services in my future! Love my grandchildren but I do get worn out.

Deelou - So did you go off the statin you were taking? What did you replace it with and how is your cholesterol? With diabetes, a tendency toward inflammation, high BP (stable on meds) and high cholesterol and lipids, I am very reluctant to go off it. And I KNOW my doctor wouldn't want me to! My cholesterol is much better since I've been on it and that is more important than the cramps.

Cajun - Sometimes it helps to have an incentive, so glad it's working for you.
Sounds like it will be a nice wedding.

Liana - your wedding really sounds like fun! Mine was small and very inexpensive. I was only 19 and didn't really know what to do anyway. My folks and people from the church took care of most of it. The pastor invited the whole church (without asking me), so it was bigger than I expected but it wasn't a large church so was ok. I bought my dress and paid some on some other things I think. It must have taken since we've been together almost 52 years now. Many years later I got to thinking we didn't pay the singer so a few years ago I sent him money. Never heard back so don't even know whether he got it or maybe his family...whatever it wasn't that much and I felt better about it.

I'm going to lay down and watch Judge Judy. Still have to wrap my granddaughters gifts too. Dh is cooking tonight and I'm thankful for that.

Last edited by maryea; 06-18-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #159  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I'm glad to hear Donna's surgery is over and that all went well.

I have aches and pains but never actually connected it to the statin. It could be the cause. Mary, I am like you, afraid to quit taking it.

I agree that everyone must do what works for them, but I like to hear about what everyone is doing because I get pointers from others. Sometimes what works for someone else might work for me. Heaven knows I need help with this! I always try to do low carb because of my diabetes but I don't always do well sticking to it. Plus I think my portions are too big. I have to learn that one serving is enough.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #160  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

I found willpower in acceptance. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
So for me I accepted that a woman in her 50's can not live on coffee with creamer, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, peanut butter and orange marmalade, canned beans with tomato sauce and expect to be healthy/thin.
I got FAT eating all these superficially "healthy" foods.
So I rid my life of ALL these carbs/hidden sugar.
I actually went throuhg withdrawals.
Head-aches, panic, throbbing body aches
and a week later I was DONE jonesing!
I have been sober since January.
Oh and NO booze! No more drinking coffee liquor and coffee tequila for me.
Do I miss it? You betcha! But do I want to be a fat old lady depressed, paranoid and always in pain? NO way!

I am rooting for each and every one of you!
Go for it!

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 06-19-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

That's good, Lucinda. You decided what you needed to do and you did it. No waffling. (no pun intended!) You are an inspiration.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Lucinda: It's so freeing when you find out what your body really wants and really doesn't want, lol. I'm so glad you are finally feeling better and stronger.

Maryea: I was reading about studies on muscle cramping (of course mainly in relation to exercise) and there was a really interesting one showing that 1/4c of pickle juice helps within an average of 85 seconds. It's not the tiny amounts of liquid or the salts 'fixing' electrolyte balance as that is too quick to be absorbed by the small intestine. They feel it may be that the vinegar alters the neuromuscular control balance between the excitatory reflex and the inhibitory reflex. There is also a genetic component - cramping runs in families, lol. Not useful in your case perhaps, but interesting nonetheless.
Perhaps statins also affect the neuromuscular system and throw the balance between the two reflexes off.
Crampers also tend to have elevated levels of enzymes in the blood related to muscle damage when compared to non-crampers, even before they get the cramps.
(from a 2011 book called "Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?" compiled by Alex Hutchinson Ph.D. It's a 'myth-busting' book that covers the full spectrum of exercise science and offers the latest in published research from around the globe. Practical tips using proven science to improve fitness, reach weight loss goals, and achieve better competition results; I'm finding it a very easy and interesting read.)

Liana
Old 06-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #163  

Liana and Mary~ when both of our sons were playing high school football they had to deal with a lot of leg cramping. Basically the whole team had this. They saved the pickle juice from the concession stand and made them drink it. Almost instantly the cramps subsided. I know this is not good for dieting but before a game we fed them a banana and pasta. Somehow it helped with the cramping. But pickle juice was the best.

Hi all. Tonight ds and fiancé are talking with the priest and finalizing the date. I picked up his baptismal papers yesterday for the priest.
This Saturday is dh 's birthday. He will be 54. Our youngest son and fiancé, sister and bil, 2 more couples are all going crabbing. Hope we catch and can have a crab boil for dh bday.
Dieting is still on tract. I'm waiting for a maintain this week due to such a large loss last week. If I only maintain it don't matter I will keep on giving it my all.
Gotta go.
Hugs
Cajun
Old 06-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #164  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi All....I found many treasures at a rummage sale. 2 1/2 dozen unpainted Christmas village houses/stores/church. All still packaged in original wrappings and marked 25 cents each. WHAT? I purchased them all and just now started painting them. Since it won't quit raining in the midwest, a great project to start on. I plan on giving them all to Tiffany (DD) for Christmas. I already have a Christmas village set and mine are a bigger scale than these.

Cajun...congrats on the new DIL, oh what fun you'll have and a great, great incentive to drop a few pounds. Set your goal high and go for it. Maybe you can take a before picture of yourself and keep posting the new you as you drop the pounds. We'll get to see you melt.

With the recent surgeries, I thought I'd get in on the act too. I had a doc appointment today for my feet, BUNIONS ON BOTH FEET. They will do the right foot 1st, then when it heals up the left. I don't have a date set yet but I'll be laid up at least 6 weeks, maybe up to 8 weeks and I won't be able to drive a car. That will drive me to drinking.

My paint brush is waiting for me, later gators.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #165  

Good morning everyone! I slept in because no gym today. It's a beautiful day, sunshining and it's also my granddaughter's birthday, she is five today! I have lots to do...after this..I'm heading to the store to find a card for her, then back to finish cleaning house and the laundry..have the first load in the washer right now. Dh is working outside. I got my nails done and my haircut yesterday so I feel like a new woman. The UPS just brought me another win...a couple really nice books for children...value about $24 for both. I think I'm going to keep them for my grandchildren who live in AZ as they are younger and plan on visiting in Dec. So that makes four wins this month. Nothing really for myself but I like getting things to give as gifts too.

Cajun, Liana and others - Yes, Donna told me just before she went into the hospital about the pickle juice for cramps. I will keep it in mind for when I don't have med on hand, but I have found a great OTC med that really helps...almost immediately if I take it as soon as the cramp gets a grip. I don't take it for every little creeping pain, just relax or walk those off. But I'd rather take the pill (I only take them when I have bad cramps) than drink pickle juice. Good thing to know though.

Dh is calling me...bye for now
Closed Thread