Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 238/238/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Newby

I just posted at Golden Girls but also wanted to join this thread as I've seen many helpful posts here over the past few days....

Insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result. So this time I'm going to do something different to change my eating habits and lose this weight once and for all! I've been lurking here a few days and enjoying the comraderie and support among members and it feels like a safe place to be so here I am!

My name is Ellen, I'm a retired RN in Tennessee, married to DH 36 mostly happy years, no children, 4 dogs and a cat! I love travelling, gardening, volunteering for animal rescue groups, reading, movies, and TV especially Investigation Discovery (I think I was a homicide detective in another life).

I'm 5'2" tall and weigh 238 pounds. So there it is. I want to lose 90 pounds over the next year. I've struggled my entire life with my eating and weight but recently regained 90 pounds due to anxious overeating following a traumatic event 2 years ago. That's a lot of anxiety and overeating!

I'm unable to exercise at this point because I'm short of breath just walking around in my house. It's ridiculous. My plan is to follow a 1500 cal low carb diet. DH is diabetic but otherwise healthy and normal weight and he's very supportive of my weight loss efforts and will eat anything I prepare so that makes things easier.

I'm very happy to be here and look forward to being part of this group. Ellen
Old 06-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 177/163.4/140

Height: 5'3"

Smile Count Me In Too

Hello Everyone!

Have been reading the forum but hesitated to join. Tried many diets for the last 6 years and none have worked. Didn't want to embarrass myself by telling people and then nothing happens. Again.

But this time I'm trying something new, as in MANY LESS calories. Not just cutting out here and there, then pigging out on the weekend. So far it's working. See how it goes I guess.

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Welcome new forum members!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #124  
AAD
Aida ~ Slow but steady ~

S/C/G: 229/229/159

Start 1/20 @223.1# & Target = 198.1
5/17 = 214.1 = -9
5/24 = 213.8 = -9.3
5/31 = 213.4 = -9.7 (-1.5 for May)
6/7 = 213 = -10.1 (-.4 this week)
6/14 = 212.5 = -10.6 (-.5 this week)
Old 06-15-2014, 03:20 AM   #125  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Kris-Diabetes sure sounds scary to me. It is enough to make me think about what I am eating. I don't know how others in Australia deal with it. They do have advertisements on TV for support groups/awareness. I hope you keep from getting diabetes.

Thanks to all for your soup recommendations. I cooked up a batch today and the hubby was happy with it.

Wow Jude, keep it up. You are doing great.

Welcome Ellen and Peanut Butter!!! We are glad to have you join our group. We hope you will comfortable to share all your weight frustrations and successes with us. I hope you will find comfort and support from this group to keep you on track to reaching your goal.

AAD-you are still on track. Yeah! Good job.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:25 AM   #126  
Focus & Determination

Any experience can be transformed into something of value. Everything depends on the way you look at things. You cannot have the success without the failures.

What are stumbling blocks and defeat before you, can be stepping stones to victory if you remain determined.

In all your adversities there lies the seeds of equivalent advantages. In every defeat there is a lesson showing you how to win the next time.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 238/238/150

Height: 5'2"

Smile Ready for a change

Thanks so much for the welcome and the words of encouragement. I'm so tired of struggling with this and, although I've heard it a million times, I'm facing the fact that it's not a diet I need but a mindset change and a lifestyle change. So my goal is to follow a healthy food plan that's low in carbs and not drastic but something I can live with forever.

It's been helpful to read on Golden Girls what everyone is eating everyday along with their corresponding weight loss results. I also LOVE the fruit smoothies with almond milk and that's one food choice I'll be incorporating into my new eating plan. I also add a handful of baby spinach leaves to my smoothies; it turns the smoothie green but you can't taste the spinach and it adds so many nutrients.

Carol Sue and Lianna, thanks for the suggestion about walking around the house, I know you are right. I've decided I can walk to the mailbox and back 5 times a day. It doesn't sound like much but it's a long steep driveway and it's been months since I've walked to the mailbox but I'm going to do it.

Peanut Butter I'm so glad there's another newby joining the group with me. I know what you mean about not wanting to announce the latest new diet and then nothing happens.... again. It feels so hopeless and frustrating. That's why I feel it's so important for me to try something different this time. I'm tired of "white knuckling" it with the diets. I yearn to fill my mind with thoughts other than FOOD, WEIGHT, DIET, WHAT TO EAT NEXT, GUILT, SHAME, REMORSE. I see the results that others here are having and it gives me hope. Ellen
Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #128  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Welcome Peanutbutter and Ellen! Just because something did not work before, does not mean you cannot do it now! I am a perfect example: I've been between 179 and 163 pounds for the last 20 years. Up and down and up and down. I finally got serious and am eating to feed my body and moving to ease and strengthen my body. And the really strange thing is the more days you get behind you, the easier it gets. Cardio-yoga-weights, eating whole foods and making sure to eat protein and fat every time I eat is second nature now. The pounds are leaving slowly but my body is happy every day with the good nutrition, exercise and good sleep it is getting. Eat right and move what you can. Keep moving the exercise goals higher and higher. You may be surprised how far you can go.

Last edited by kris2008; 06-15-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

Ellen - I have found the answer for me and not having to white knuckle my diet. It may not be the answer for you, but it's something to think about. I have a problem with carbs. If I have a little too much carb at a meal, it can set me down the road of feeling like I am starved and I cannot stop thinking about eating again, now. For me, I think it is my blood sugar. I've built it up with all the carbs, then I am crashing and my blood wants more sugar, any kind and now. And this will set me up for a binge for days.

Since I have been eating whole foods and very little processed carbs and grains, I don't have that starving feeling at all. I do not wake up in the morning and feel a sick feeling that says I must put something in my stomach right away. Two hours after a meal, I don't have urges to find something to eat. I eat big bowls of soup and huge salads and large smoothees. Every meal has lots of good fats and protein. I think the fat and protein go a long way to keep me even until the next meal. And I don't have the blood sugar rushes from processed carbs and grains.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #130  

S/C/G: HW:276 Restart 242.6/148.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Peanut Butter and Ellen

I hope you both can find the inspiration, support and encouragement to help you along this journey.

Peanut butter - It is important that you do this for YOU, and try to not let what others think hurt you or embarrass you. I know this is hard.
I heard something the other day that really made an impression on me (even though it is sports related) - "You will never score a goal if you don't take the shot". I tried and failed to lose weight last year(even gained more!), but came back this year, and everything is working out fine, and I have found what works for me, and will continue to work for me.

Ellen - It does get easier, much easier if you can find a workable plan for you. This past March I weight 242 - my knees hurt, my hip hurt, I felt slow and sluggish. My knees and hip no longer bother me at all, I have lots of energy, and am feeling so much more positive about everything.
I also no longer focus nearly so much on food - it's funny, I sometimes have to remind myself to eat!!

I am similar to Kris in that I can't do carbs and sugar. I also have cut out just about all processed foods period. I will buy most foods fresh to prepare, with the exception of things like chicken or vegetable broth, and even then I will try to get organic if it is available. The only fats I use are occasionally coconut oil, or a few nuts.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Last edited by jollyjude; 06-15-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 154/145/130

Height: 5'-6" roughly

newcomers!!

Weighed in yesterday - same, same, same, drat

Good luck in the coming week - no matter your approach!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #132  
Focus & Determination

Hang in there Lizzie. No weight loss is much better than a gain.

Last edited by Corinna T; 06-16-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 AM   #133  
Focus & Determination

"If you've invested enough effort and energy to get discouraged, you're well on your way to success. Discouragement is a certain weigh station on the road to any worthwhile achievement.

If you know and care enough to be discouraged, you've made considerable progress. Learn what the discouragement has to teach you and then continue moving forward. It may seem as though you'll never make it, but in reality you're already there. Discouragement tempers and hardens you; it does not stop you.

Reflect on your discouragement and you'll discover that it is a result of your commitment. You've already invested your time, your effort, your life. Soon, you'll reap the full reward of that investment. Let discouragement spur you on.

Motivation is born of desire. The stronger the desire for something, the stronger the motivation.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #134  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Welcome PeanutButter and Ellen!
Hopefully you will both make the changes in nutrition and exercise that will make you healthy and fit!

For me, like others, sugar and simple carbs are the killer! If I stick to what I know works (EVERY DAY) I see good results.

Made the mistake of eating Chinese food last night that my son brought home, so I didn't even bother weighing myself this morning. The sodium load from that food adds 2 lbs at least. Drinking lots of water and eating lots of greens today to flush it out.\

Had a great 5 mile hill walk on Saturday, and lots of yard work Sunday.

Have a great day!

Andi
Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #135  
~Bonnie~

S/C/G: 250/244/180

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone. After getting a steroid shot in my shoulder and celebrating my husband's birthday last weekend I gained TWO pounds. UGH.

I've started physical therapy on my shoulder and at least I've had GREAT results. My pain has diminished by at least 70%. What a relief.

For today I commit to my food plan, will do my PT exercises 2X today and try to ride my exercise bike. Hopefully this week I'll be able to increase my exercise and start losing again.

Welcome to the new members. NEVER GIVE UP. My miracle and your miracle are just around the corner.
Closed Thread