Graves disease, over 50 and can't seem to lose weight..

• I a am a 53 year old woman with Graves disease which is maintained by taking 50mg of PTU twice a day. I started menopause the same time I was diagnosed. My thyroid is regulated but no matter what I do I cannot loose weight or inches. Anyone out there with any suggestions? I exercise either on my elliptical or video workouts 4-5 days a week for no less than 30 minutes.
  • Sorry about your frustration. What kinds of things have you tried to lose weight? How many calories do you eat?
  • I don't know a lot about thyroid disorders but I do know that they can play havoc with your weight loss plan. Your exercise is good, for more than just weight loss, for overall health.

I suggest you start to track your food intake. There are several good free sites online where you can track your food and see how many calories you are eating, how much fat, carb, protein, fiber etc you are taking in. This is one place to start. Some of these are Fitday.com, Myfitnesspal, MyPlate just to name a few. There are also sites online that give you an idea of how much you should eat based on your age and height, and body structure. Concentrate on eating foods that have a high nutritional value, and eliminate empty calories.

Look around this forum. There is a lot of information from people who have been in your position. The best information you can get is from those who have already done it. Find out what can work for you long term.

Good luck to you.