Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #76  

Height: 5'3"

Bobbi - the book explains it much better. It doesn't matter what protein, carb or fat you choose to eat as long as you stick with the proper amounts which are actually quite generous. For instance, milk is 1 cup, butter (or any fat) is 1 T. You don't have to eat that much but you can if you want.

I eat a very varied menu so not sure it would help, but I'll give a few random suggestions. These are just examples...you can choose to eat ANYTHING, YOU want.

Beakfast:
Cereal (one serv per box)- carb
nuts sprinkled over - 1 T - fat
milk - 1 cup, some on cereal, some to drink 1 Protein

Lunch
Chicken - protein (up to 6 oz if you want) (I'm assuming no carb on it or you might have to count it as your carb)
salad - non-starchy veggies are free
salad dressing - free and doesn't have to be diet kind
sl toast - carb (bread is 1 slice, unless making a sandwich then 2)
Butter - 1 T - fat

Dinner
Steak - protein (up to 6 oz)
baked potato - carb
butter - 1 T - fat (you'd have to choose between butter and sour cream as both are fats...can only have one)

This plan is very flexible and leaves you in control. You decide what kind of food you want to eat and within the plan limits, how much. You don't have to eat certain foods, nothing is forbidden, you just have to think 1 pro, 1 car, 1 fat. And you can't eat in the evenings. That's where it has been good for me...and that part (eves) is still a little difficult but it's getting much easier. Keep in mind too that some foods are cross-overs....like bacon is both protein and fat, beans are protein and carb. These kind of foods can be used for either nutrient in a meal, but not both. And you cannot divide the nutrient between more than one food, technically you could but she says the portions over time usually begin to get bigger so she doesn't advise that. I think that would overtime begin to make it too complicated and take away from the strength of the plan. Of course, that is exactly the way my mind works and my first thought was to do that.

Hope this helps. I'll probably be back later today to report on my day.

ETA: Bobbi I forgot about snacks. You are to have two snacks a day...am and afternoon. They are to follow the same plan 1-1-1 but grains and proteins must be 1/2 serv. Forgot them because I don't often feel I can have them due to my bs

Last edited by maryea; 03-06-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #77  

For those who have stairs: some exercises to work into your daily life. modify or ignore those that are too much for you. If you can work up to them, do what you can.
http://www.allyou.com/diet-fitness/a...ts/lose-weight
Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Lynn, Is this the painting you are talking about? This is a painting my Dad bought years ago from the artist who painted it ----- I think it was in SD not sure. My oldest brother has it now. My Dad never did anything like that and he said this picture just spoke to him. He was offered 10 times what he paid for it many times. But would never sell. Glad it is still in the family
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Woman looking in mirror.jpg (23.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
Lynn, Is this the painting you are talking about? This is a painting my Dad bought years ago from the artist who painted it ----- I think it was in SD not sure. My oldest brother has it now. My Dad never did anything like that and he said this picture just spoke to him. He was offered 10 times what he paid for it many times. But would never sell. Glad it is still in the family
Hi Karen,

This is not the exact picture, but it is the exact idea. I have always believed that great art happens when it captures a "truth." To me, these paintings are great art!

Thank you for sharing. The one I mentioned hung where I used to work. I asked a colleague if it was still there & it is not. I have tried searching Google images to find it, but no luck.

Lynn
Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #80  

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Lynn,i just saw a video on facebook of paintings of women by famous artists,they kinda changed and melded into each other. I really liked it. if you access me on facebook on my page you can see it. it reminded me of you mentioning your favorite painting. I admire those that are exercising,even tho im handicapped there are things I can do I just don't Hoping your evenings great, 2 of my favortite shows are on tonite at the same time. survivor and American idol. survivor is repeated and the tvn on sat nites so you know what im watching. ttfn rosey
Hi Rosey,

Will catch you on facebook (if I have trouble, I will PM you for your facebook name).

Do you have a favorite yet on American Idol? Last night, I REALLY loved Malaya.

Lynn
Old 03-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #81  

Got my manicure today, so feeling kinda girly again. I also bought a cute black skirt while I was at the mall...one of those that has a flirty hemline that shows off ones legs to best advantage. Maybe then no one will look at my tummy.. I will wear my top on the outside as I always do anyway. I have always like that type skirt. Everything I tried on today fit (for a change) except some pants which I couldn't get to button/hook or zip. My usual problem.

Called our oldest dd today but had to leave a message. It's her birthday. She's a very busy gal and it is hard to reach her. Can't believe she is now 49!! Sure makes me feel old!

Tonight for dinner I made an Asian chicken and potato stew and steamed broccoli. No rice because I had potato. So yummy! We both love it. Hard to figure calories so had to estimate but think I came in about where I want to be on everything except high on fat (76!). On this plan I don't have to count the fat when it's used to stir-fry but with Asian dishes in restaurants you count the sauce as fat, so I did that tonight as I felt it was quite a lot. I think I will cut back next time I make it. Most of the rest came from a flax muffin I had at lunch. At least I'm so full, I should be able to survive this evening without a snack.

Lucinda/Glynne - I know how you feel when you eat something you feel you shouldn't because afterall YOU (meaning ME) need to lose weight! Like we need to punish ourselves. I've been there and am sick of it. I've always said I really shouldn't have to give up any food or food group, I should just learn to eat in moderation. That's what I'm trying to do now. I need a plan I can live with for the rest of my life, that is right for me and I refuse to go back to "dieting." If I don't lose all the weight well so be it. I'm going to enjoy my life, but I just don't want to be a glutton and that's what I've been most of my adult life and I also want to be healthy and am willing to cut back on the amounts I eat to do that. I think it is possible to do that without being on a "diet." I don't expect it to be easy and it is not, but I am learning. And Glynne some of us just have to learn to like exercise. I started in my 50s and didn't like it but I actually enjoy it now unless I'm not feeling well, then it's a struggle. Do what you can, don't push it, but keep doing it and in time it will get easier even if you still don't really love it. Soon it will be warm enough to bike. I remember you enjoyed that last summer.

Last edited by maryea; 03-06-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #82  

Height: 5'7"

Sorry I have been Mia. Life is pretty busy.
We had to go and buy a new tv last night. Ours was only 3 yrs old and one of the kids I babysit was playing wii and the remote flew off his arm and hit the tv. I am happy to report that I didn't let it throw me off my diet. We went and bought a new tv(with money I had made selling scarves) and then grabbed subway for dinner.
Today hubby and I are heading out for his heart dr. He has to have some routine test done. They were scheduled 2 times before but had to be cancelled due to weather. We will eat Red Lobster for lunch. I will eat yogurt for breakfast and skip dinner.
Warm weather heading at us finally. I can't wait to get outside and walk. I am even thinking ahead to what I want to plant in my garden. I checked walmart and no pansies yet. I can't wait to plan some in my pots!!!
Yard cleanup next week if it's dries out enough.

Hubby went to his mad last week and his a1c was 7.7. So it's time for us to be serious and we have done good so far.

Guess I best get off my rear and get the house picked up. My daughter is coming home tonight and bringing the new baby.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #83  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Thanks for taking the time Mary....I see you have to eat simple foods. No sauces, etc. Why do you get to eat any salad dressing? Isn't that considered a fat?
Quote:
Lunch
Chicken - protein (up to 6 oz if you want) (I'm assuming no carb on it or you might have to count it as your carb)
salad - non-starchy veggies are free
salad dressing - free and doesn't have to be diet kind
sl toast - carb (bread is 1 slice, unless making a sandwich then 2)
Butter - 1 T - fat

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-07-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #84  

Not really Bobbi, you can eat anything you want. Those are just examples. My dinner last night had a sauce. And salad dressing if used on a salad doesn't count, otherwise it would be a fat and only 1 T allowed. Try to get back later as about to leave for gym. BTW, I am now back to my pre-Thanksgiving weight, FINALLY!!

Last edited by maryea; 03-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #85  

Hi Mary,

When you have a chance, please take a look at today's menus & let me know if it qualifies for 1-1-1.

Breakfast -
Protein bar (protein, carbs, & fat)

Snack
Orange

Lunch -
Turkey
sweet potato
olive oil (1/2 T) + Smart Balance Margarine (1/2 T)

Dinner -
Turkey
Broccoli w olive oil & raisins & almonds

Snack - Pear

Lynn
Old 03-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #86  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Karen THanks for posting the painting! That painting captures exactly how I feel sometimes!
Maryea I've been doing tthose familycircle 4 minute exercises every day this week, I still have to do todays but my abs. are def. feeling it.
dgramie.. my dh recently bought one of those new fangled tv's. I don't even know how to turn the darn thing on. Too many buttons, actually I take that back.. the remote has only 4 buttons but I am confused.
I am roasting a head of cauliflower again for tonights side dish. WHat a fabulous recipe.. once again I tip my hat to Maryea...
Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #87  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Hi Mary,

When you have a chance, please take a look at today's menus & let me know if it qualifies for 1-1-1.

Breakfast -
Protein bar (protein, carbs, & fat)

Snack
Orange

Lunch -
Turkey
sweet potato
olive oil (1/2 T) + Smart Balance Margarine (1/2 T)

Dinner -
Turkey
Broccoli w olive oil & raisins & almonds

Snack - Pear

Lynn
Lynn - the protein bar is probably right...would have to see it to know for sure.

lunch -looks ok to me, I'm assuming you made a blend of the oil and smart balance. In this case they sell it that way and you could also make your own, so think it's ok. And theoretically you could mix 1/2 and 1/2 of any nutrient but she doesn't want you to because or the risk of portion creep. (that's what she calls it. LOL) Whatever your fat it should be no more than 1 T.

Dinner - raisins are your carb. broccoli is free. The problem I see is that you have both oil and almonds. Both are fat so you can only have one up to 1T.

Snacks - Fruit is one carb. Your snacks have to be balanced like your meals..1-1-1. Only difference from meals is that protein and grains can be only 1/2 serv each. Carb and fat remain the same as meals.

Also with 1-1-1 you aren't supposed to eat anything after dinner. Since you are diabetic I'd say if you need it for that reason, of course, do it. I can't tell any difference in my am bs so I'm not eating a snack. Most of the time my bs are actually better now and I am sleeping much better.

remember you don't have to eat a whole serving of anything, its up to you. You eat to just feel nicely full not stuffed. I haven't felt this full after eating in quite a while ..on a regular basis at least.

Here's a snack example :
fruit (up to 1 pc or 1 cup chopped, berries)
cheese stick (protein) (upto 1/2 oz) remember this is for a SNACK
almonds (fat) (up to 1 T)

Hope that helps. The book would make it clearer as it gives food lists divided into protein, carb and fat and gives you the allowed portion size.

Last edited by maryea; 03-07-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #88  

Bobbi & Lynn - BTW, just thought of this...there is an accelerated plan in the 1-1-1 book too. This might be better for you two because you don't normally eat much. This is for people who don't want to eat so much or who only have a few pounds to lose. Sounds like you, right?

This plan is tougher and not for me. Here are difference:
1. no starchy carbs after your afternoon snack, vegetables (which normally are free) are now your only carb at dinner. You can still have any starchy carbs you want earlier in the day.

2. You make the double doers (foods that are more than one nutrient like beans are both protein and carb) do double duty. So if you have beans (for example) you count it as both your protein and your carb in a meal.

3. You never have any food more than once a day except vegetables.

4. One slice of bread is now a portion, even with a sandwich.

5. Now salad dressings count as fat even on a salad. Syrup...normally she allows a teaspon on pancakes but now it counts as a carb. Cream in coffee is now a fat serv.

6. You are a allowed a glass of wine or other alcoholic beverage, dessert or a cheat dinner with a starchy carb once a week. But when you do this you have to cut the starchy or sweet carb from your lunch.

7. Baked goods like cookies, muffins and cake are no longer just a carb but now they are a carb and a fat.

Remember folks, this is the ACCELERATED 1-1-1 plan...too tough for me!!

Last edited by maryea; 03-07-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #89  

Hi everyone. spent the day helping dh gut the soon to be craft room. boy we have a lot of STUFF. some we saved,some being donated,and some to the dump. the nicest thing that happened today is I sat in the sun on my deck amongst the snow piles but it felt soooo good. Happy weekend. rosey

breakfast
coffee
quaker oatmeal medely (something new,apples,walnuts and cranberrys really yummy but 290 calories for 1 cup)

lunch
1 c chix macaroni salad
iced tea

dinner
hamburger without the bun
small amt of French fries
Old 03-08-2014, 03:10 AM   #90  

I was busy today! We went to the gym and then I came home and cleaned our bedroom thoroughly plus also did a bit extra in some of the other rooms since I haven't done much the last two days. Because it is beginning of a new season I washed all the bedding and that took quite a while. Even washed the bed skirt and that thing is not easy to remove and put back on with our huge mattress. I enlisted dh's help so it wasn't as difficult as it would have been. It's almost impossible for me alone so I don't do it often. But I got it all done. Even made my own Febreeze to make the bed linens smell extra nice. Also washed all the towels in the hamper as well as the linens.

Dh taught me something to get my laundry cleaner, whiter, brighter. He read about it on FB so some of you may have too. He had some old dingy T-shirts that I could never get really clean any more. I had tried soaking them in bleach and water but didn't help, and put bleach in the washer, even baking soda and borox...nothing got them white. I had also used vinegar but just cup in the whole washer. What he did: He soaked them in white vinegar for an hour. When he took them out they were completely white! What he read said to also put in some bleach "to take the vinegar smell out." That did not make sense to me at all since vinegar smell disappears in the air. Anyway I washed them after he soaked them and they look so nice now!

So I soaked some towels/washcloths in vinegar in washer. Because it was a larger load, I used 3 cups of vinegar. I let the washer fill to just cover them and and let them soak an hour. Then I filled the washer up
and ran the cycle as usual with laundry soap. Right away I could see the difference...much brighter, esp the whites/light colors. Looks like I'll be using lots of vinegar. I was ready to get rid of some of my washcloths because they were so dingy. They still don't look new but they look much better and maybe with a few more soakings they'll look even better. I'd rather use vinegar any day than bleach!

My eating day went well as far as my plan goes, but I did get one too many carb servings. Made mac n cheese tonight and I love it, and forgot to count my carbs BEFORE I ate. I have to see my doctor on the 13th and I'm hoping my bs will look pretty good by then. I don't expect them to be all perfect but at least he will see it is simply my eating and I can do it. So hopefully no more slipups!

I ordered some tops and they came today and they fit!! I hate to shop in stores but I enjoy shopping online, but often things don't fit. These were from JC Pennys so I knew I could take them back to the store easily. So tonight I ordered a sweater and a pair of pants. I had them sent to the store, so I can pick them up and try them on right in the store fitting room and return if they don't fit. I've done that before. Pants are very hard to fit, so won't be surprised if they don't. JCP is having a big sale right now, so I got a sale plus had a 15% discount code.

I just finished the book called Heft...I think I mentioned it was a bout a morbidly obese man. It was really different and I enjoyed it. Only wish it had ended better...it kind of leaves you hanging I thought. I also finished another book I was reading...can't remember the name of it...LOL..but it actually was really interesting. Also kind of different ...two brothers who were very different, one is murdered ..he was into all kinds of illegal stuff...and the other brother has to sort it all out, who killed him, why, his finances etc. In the process he changes a lot. For better or worse? Also is about artificial intelligence ...is his brother, Alex really dead? Fairly frequent bad language, but interesting. On my kindle I'm now reading what I think is a vampire story. Why can't they put the book description in the front of the kindle books? I download them and then can't remember what they were about, just that they sounded interesting at the time and were (usually) free.

My eating today - you will see why I went over a little on carbs!
breakfast
Onion bagel - carb
cream cheese - fat
milk - protein

lunch
Beef Chimi - protein and carb
salad - free
pecans - 1 T fat

afternoon snack (shouldn't have had this)
pb mocha - carb, 1/2 protein and fat

Dinner
macaroni & cheese - carb, protein and fat
salad - free

I added fiber to the mocha and also some in water tonight to make a total of 24 gms. My calories were 1532.

Lucinda - GFY doing the exercises so consistently!
Dgrammie - Good to hear from you! Glad you are still OP. Hope your dh can get that A1C down. The highest mine has been is 7.2 but last time I was there it was down to 6.9. I've been working pretty hard on it the last month but not sure it will help the A1C. A1Cs are always a little delayed plus they cover three months and I wasn't doing that well consistently that long. Good luck to you and your dh!

Last edited by maryea; 03-08-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Closed Thread