3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

~~February Golden Girls~~

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #46

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Bobbi, I love the name Levi!! It fits both of you and is something that you just really love doing stuff with. Perfect!!!

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow. ~
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #47

Well, funny thing after all these months of scalp and ear discomfort and growing worse every day...last night it eased some and today has not been bad either. Have no idea why. It's still there but just not so bad right now. I was busy with other things today so I decided to wait a few days to see how it goes before making an appt with a dermatologist, but I think I'll be calling soon anyway as I want to talk to him about the hair loss as well. Don't know that that could have anything to do with allergy

Thanks for all the ideas...Rosey, I forgot to look for the magazine when I went out today but will try to remember tomorrow as I'll be out for the gym and to get a manicure. I have used three new shampoos recently and I have been alternating two of them, BUT I had this condition before I started any of them. Like I think someone else said, all the shampoos likely have common ingredients though. The only shampoo that gave me some relief was that one I mentioned in my last post...Garnier's Fall Fight. My order should arrive on the 7th and I'll try using it again. I like the purple shampoo for gray hair but began to notice my hair was looking darker and I want the white to be enhanced, not the dark gray. So thought if I alternated with another shampoo it might be better. I liked the sample of Fall Fight but couldn't find it in the stores so bought L'oreal's Sulfate-Free instead. At least the gray hair shampoo calmed my head a bit but the L'oreals didn't at all!

I went grocery shopping this afternoon. It was snowing a bit but not sticking. It is supposed to get really cold at night this week though so if it starts snowing tonight it might stick then, but I hope not. Dh and I discussed going some place warm but couldn't decide where to go. Until we are both completely over our current issues...his anemia and my colon (which is much better but still hurts a little), I don't want to go outside of US but would go someplace in states. One problem is that even many of the "warm" places are now having cold weather. Hawaii seems the best option but still not sure we will go anywhere. We actually don't get much snow here usually but occasionally do.

Karen31 - I'm sorry but I missed what is wrong with Tim. What kind of surgery is he having (if he doesn't mind you telling). I will pray for him.

Lynn - I like the idea of making my own shampoo if it is good for my hair. I have several recipes I found online. Maybe if all else fails I'll try it. Since I went completely gray, my hair is a lot different in texture. I have always had a lot of hair but it was fine hair, once all color (I had it dyed regularly while I was working) was out, it was much more coarse. I would say it feels like
animal hair. maybe like cats hair or something. I actually like it because it has more body and holds a style better and doesn't frizz, but since the hair loss it is feeling lighter (like there is less of it).

We've had two shootings in our city in two days! Two people were killed yesterday and two were shot today again but I don't yet know their condition. So sad.

Last edited by maryea : 02-04-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #48

rosey

breakfast
coffee
greek yogurt 1/4 c granola

lunch
nothing

dinner
orange chix
1/2 c mac salad

snack
fruit smoothie
honey wheat pretzels twists

I am enough!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #49

Sunny and cold this am.. wood stove radiating heat,coffee and my puppies on my lap, lifes good rosey

I am enough!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #50

Very cold day but the sun is shining. Got a good workout this morning. Will be leaving soon now to get my manicure, just waiting for dh as he wants to go with. My head and ears are tingling pretty bad today. Just washed my hair with the purple shampoo (for gray) and it calmed down slightly. Plan to call a doc today. Hope you are all surviving the cold...Rosey sounds like you are snug as a bug in a rug!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #51

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

We just got back to our motel room and will be staying here tonight. They have found a tumor in Tim that they will biopsy and determine what it is. Meanwhile a stint has been put in to drain the bile.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow. ~
Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #52

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

What wild week I'm having....Moods bouncing like I was PMSing (not). Everytime I get scared and worried another person pops up and say gee I had both my knees done last week/month/year. All kinds of real nice support. Even Dh is doing good. Came home this afternoon and he had changed the shower head to flex one so I can sit on my new stool without drowning. Lab work tomorrow. Canceled dentist/cardiologist. 11 days and 18 hrs, but who's counting.

The scale crept down a little but I had to pull out much smaller pants. Back into 16's. Love the loose droopy ones but am now walking on the legs.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #53

Hi everyone I can say I did a productive activity today,i cleaned out the refrig and gave it a good scrubbing and then my gotup and go went byebye and spent the after noon cruising in e-bay.. I have to say im addicted,its like a giant garage sale. our post office says I have the record for the # of packages.not sure if that's a good thing but it sure is fun. My dh came home and told me he just bargained for a used portable saw mill ok I can remember a few yrs back that he wanted one just like his friend tony just got,hmmm guess who is buying tonys..on payments every month and its not cheap.someone had better not complain of beads and yarn,books and fabric as then I will have to remind him Karen 31 saying prayers for you and your dd is he sore from the stint? bet you miss the girls too hoping your nite is peaceful. rosey

breakfast
coffee
1 slice toast daves power bread
1t hmade apple jelly

lunch
1/2 mari callenders pot pie
iced tea

snack coffee mocha
air popped popcorn

dinner
1/2 bq chix breast
fresh asparagus
tomatoe cukes avocado salad

I am enough!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #54
Bobbi

S/C/G: 160/129/124

Good Morning...nothing exciting going on today. Tonight is Taco night at my bro/sil, I have a dessert to make today. I can't look at another caramel roll, so making a lemon cheese cake type of dessert. (Allrecipes.com 5 star)

KarenMo...good news/bad news about Tim. Good as knowing what the problem is, praying for the removal and non complications.

K3...I'm counting down with you, the full shower head and chair is something we'll have to put in eventually. Good planning ahead on your part.

Rosey...I love those wheat twist pretzels, yummy. I have sympathy for you on your purchasing habit, you go girl. The things we buy is NOTHING COMPARED TO LARGE EXPENSIVE TOYS THEY BUY. I have to put up with Harley Davidsons and antique cars. Oh, can't forget about the arsenal of guns both our guys have. Geeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz.

Mary...calling the doc is the best thing to do about your itchy scalp. At least you'll know what the problem is.

Robin...throw all the foods that trigger your appetite in the garbage. I've put no-no sweets in the freezer in the past, that stops me unless I'm in a mood. Then frozen cookies taste like heaven.

It's best if we have no sweets other than ice cream. My hubby and Charlie enjoy a bowl after supper and that doesn't tempt me. Imagine having Jillian from biggest loser in your house and going thru your frig and cupboards, Can you just see her tossing foods right and left into the trash bin?

BTW...we don't watch Biggest Losers but the winner was on the news last night, she was from Minnesota. She looked awful, anorexia has set in or looks like it.

We're off to the Y...later gators

Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #55
Struggling Dieter

Here's my opinion on Rachel, the Biggest Loser. The last week on the ranch she won the triathalon. She couldn't have done that if she wasn't healthy. During the time period between then and the finale, they think about that $250K prize and try to lose as much as possible to be the winner. Rachel lost more than she should have, but I think now that the prize money is safely deposited in her bank account she will ease up and get back to a healthy weight. We all know that you usually gain some back after going on maintenance. I hope I'm right about her for her health's sake.

KarenMo - I hope everything goes well with Tim.

MaryEA - I hope you get to the bottom of your itchy scalp and hair loss.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #56

S/C/G: 163/134/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 50 yrs old

Default My man on a diet...

Morning GG's: I finally got my husband onto a semblance of diet with me... He's 56 and not very overweight, just more of a 'shift of tissue' lol. He's gotten a spare tire around the belly. Anyhow, how it all started was we were getting ready to go out and he pulled out a pair of his jeans (33 waist - he was a 32 all his life) and lo & behold... he got them up but couldn't zip. He had to wear the dress cords we just bought - sz 34's!

He only has 14 pounds to lose until he's back at his summer working weight and you know how it is with men, he will probably be there in 2 weeks Every year he gains a little over the winter because he isn't working (he's a professional window cleaner and is up & down ladders and carting them around all day) but then loses it by the first month of his regular season. Problem is when you get older, it packs on easier and is slower to drop off. This is his first diet lol.
Day one yesterday and we had been invited out to our friends' house for turkey dinner. I am doing Phase 2 on Ideal Protein (low carb, normal protein amounts) and am gluten free anyhow, so it was just turkey breast meat, a small scoop of mashed potato, a couple tablespoons of corn (the corn is a no-no but whatever) and the only actual vegetable she had - sliced raw cucumber. I should have brought a salad or some veggies. I couldn't believe it! All there was besides turkey was gravy, mashed potato, corn, dressing, and yams. A tiny plate of cuke was the ONLY vegetable. Then there was apple pie and ice cream for dessert. I was actually kind of mad at her since she & I have been working on our weight for a little while (she is on WW but not having success - no kidding!) and this was NOT supportive at all! I actually had to eat more veg when I got home. POOR Randy, she kept pushing the bad food on him - I felt like I could have slapped her. I've never seen her like this... maybe she is feeling so badly about gaining weight herself but you should have seen the plate she loaded up for herself. Trucker portions, and she is only 5' tall. Oh, yeah, and then she brought out Nanaimo Bars!!!! after the pie & ice cream.

I didn't know what to do, but it seemed so surreal, like she wasn't even herself. Maybe she is depressed? What should I say - nothing or should I ask if she is OK?? Her hubby is no help because he eats meat & potatoes and junk food (& has gained some himself) and he has no interest in any other kind of food, Asian, Mexican, Mediterranean, etc. so she cooks his way.

Any thoughts, ladies? It's just not like her, we have been friends for 7 years and this is just weird Just FYI she is my hubby's age and her husband is my age. Do you think this has anything to do with insecurity as her husband married her when she was a petite tiny little thing? Her hubby and I get along, but he is mainly my husband's friend.

Anyhow, Randy is back on plan this morning with eggs and 1 pc of toast for breaky instead of 4 servings of granola & milk for breakfast. Good boy, he got a nice hug for that

At goal or below since March 5, 2014
Old 02-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #57

Hi everyone! We finally got snow! It's still coming down and it is sticking. I have a dermatologist appt for tomorrow and they said they may close if it's bad.
My head and ears itched pretty badly last eve so before bed I washed my hair with a natural shampoo of just baking soda and rinsed with vinegar. I thought my hair felt more dry last night but can't tell much difference today and I still itch but not too bad. If I can't get in I'm going to try using it a while unless my hair gets too dry. I could always add an oil treatment if it does I guess.

Cana - Sounds like your dh is about the same size as mine. My dh has had the same thing happen...I tell him it's not so much that he's overweight but that his chest has fallen...not very nice of me I guess Anyway glad your dh is OP with you! Sad about your friend...maybe she has just given up. Perhaps you can inspire her.

Wannabe - I agree with your comments on Rachel. I've seen others get too skinny esp when they are the type to lose in the face, neck and arms (same as my hubby). I think most of them gain some back after the finale. Funny thing I picked her to win the whole thing when the season started. It was fun to see her win if only for that reason. I thought they all deserved it but in the very end I was rooting more for David as he looked SO good! Cowboy is sure good looking too and I loved the way he always kept his hat on! But I liked them all and Tumi (spelling?) was gorgous...she and all the girls were very attractive I thought and she looks like a very nice kind person.

Bobbi - I made my temporary goal of over 30 gms of fiber yesterday. I still overate and got too many carbs unfortunately but I think my fiber count was well over 30. I stopped counting at 32. My problem is we ate out for lunch, and I didn't cut back in the evening as I should have. I ate mostly very healthy though. I try to keep the foods (mostly snacks) out that trigger my binging ...but no, Jillian is not allowed in my house! LOL I wouldn't even want her for my trainer...my favorite is Dolvett would be my choice! My problem is that I can binge on almost any food (even healthy as I mostly eat healthy) in the evenings.

Karen3 - Congrats on the smaller pants!! Love that! Sounds like God is sending you encouragement right when you need it too.

I spent most of my morning on the phone trying to work out a mistake AT&T made on our account. Somebody put in the wrong discount code originally and the government caught it after almost two years. Wierd. Anyway I think I'm getting it staightened out.

Stay warm and cozy...

Last edited by maryea : 02-06-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #58

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Spent the last 48 hours without electric, heat, cable. Tried to stick it out at home, but gave up this morning and went over to my DD's condo. This afternoon, got a call that electric/heat was back on at my condo. Back home again!

Just keeping my fingers crossed that the storm expected this weekend will NOT keep me from flying to FL on Tuesday.

Karen, praying for you and Tim.

My real computer is with the Geeks - finally getting the malware taken off. Using the Surface tablet. Not totally comfortable with it, but at least figured out how to get here.

Have a GREAT day!

Lynn
Old 02-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #59
Bobbi

S/C/G: 160/129/124

Yes...congrats are in order for you K3 on the smaller pants.
Cana...I think Mary is right, your friend needs inspiring from you. I think she is jealous because you're sticking with the program and she can't . I'd like to pull a Dr. Phil on her, ask how her poor choices and trucker portions are working for her..

Quote:
Salsa Chicken

Rated: rating
Prep Time: 5 Minutes Ready In: 45 Minutes
Submitted By: Faye Cook Time: 40 Minutes Servings: 4
"Chicken seasoned with taco seasoning and topped with salsa, then baked."
INGREDIENTS:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
halves
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
2. Place chicken breasts in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken breasts, and pour salsa over all.
3. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juicy and its juices run clear.
4. Sprinkle chicken evenly with cheese, and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream if desired, and serve.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2014 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 2/6/2014
Old 02-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #60

S/C/G: 163/134/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 50 yrs old

Yes Mary: I think my hubby's chest has fallen too lol.
Bobbi: My friend told me she and another galpal are going back to doing WW since both of them have gained (starting Monday) so I hope this will help her a bit too. Part of the problem is our eating plans are quite different, so although it may be easier for her to trade points while she eats like her hubby, I know it's not good for her blood sugars - she is hypoglycemic and predisposed to diabetes so I worry for her. But I guess you can't live someone else's life for them, can you?

Hubby whined at lunch that he'll probably NEVER get to eat fries again when he has a burger.... Oh, puleeeeze. He is a bit OCD and that means any issue is all or nothing, black or white. I made him a large stir fry plate of herb tofu chunks with sui choy, green onion, celery, fresh mushrooms, with soy sauce and citrus habanero EVOO drizzled on top, with a cup of beef broth and celery sticks filled with hummous for an appetizer. Then he got an heirloom navel orange (WOW amazing flavour difference) for dessert. He'll be much happier when his pants zip up,

He actually does like those foods - just likes 'em better with a double helping of brown rice - and not quite as much as he likes fries lol.

At goal or below since March 5, 2014

Last edited by canadjineh : 02-06-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.