3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

2013 Challenge - The Rest of the Story

Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #31
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 7"

Gayle, its good to see you back. I'm glad that you have have forward plans for your mom and that you're back to exercising. I'm sorry about the full blown diabetes. Our advancing age seems to bring out the problems.

Tera, what do you think about a doable goal? I'm with you on the junkie foods but I'm not likely to eliminate them. I need to get to a point of losing/maintaining while eating what I like. If I eat a specific diet I will stop and gain it back. Why bother with that? So what do you think - we make a goal to post every day? Whether it is a calorie total, exercise or just having a crappy day? I think it I made just to come here, that would help. I can always do a quick post through my phone so there shouldn't be excuses. What do you think?

So this week I threw the diet out the window. I'm not sure what the cal totals are and I don't particularly care. I made the horrible decision a pet mommy must make when her pet is elderly. Tomorrow, my beloved Kody will make the journey to the Rainbox Bridge. So I've known it is scheduled and every night I can't pet him, hold him, talk to him enough. But I know what the right thing to do is. He is failing quickly and keeping him with me isn't fair to him. So food was my comfort as I spend the last days with my boy-o. My protector. Gayle and Tera, you might both remember I lost my soul dog last January and I never expected Kody to plunge so quickly. He lost his true love last January and that has done him in. So tomorrow afternoon, I will have 4 angel dogs and 2 present dogs. It is sort of mind boggling considering I had 4 dogs for so long. BTW, Kodiak is in my avatar - the handsome gray and white husky on the left.
Marie
Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #32
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 4' 11 1/2"

That is a hard thing to decide Marie, I know how you feel, I have been in your shoes with my dog and cat ~ you hate to have them suffer, so even though you will miss them terribly, you do what is best for them.

A few days after Dad passed, their cat passed too. She was like 18 or 19 ~ almost skin and bones. My sister and I talked about if maybe we should have her put to sleep ~ but with all else that was going on ~ we didn't get around to that. The kitty I think pined herself away ~ missing dad. She went to bed every night with him. It was so sad, because at bed time, she would start meowing and waiting for him to go to bed and would finally go to bed without him. She would sit and look at his empty chair. Poor kitty.

for you Marie.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. (From Karen31's post)

glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
Want to feel better

43 minute bike ride

I ride the bike and hike paths and part way through I stop at this little pond that has a fountain. It is a pleasant peaceful little spot ~ something to look forward to ~ kind of a treat/reward for making the ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg little park at the pond 2.jpg (37.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg fountain at the pond 2.jpg (32.5 KB, 4 views)

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. (From Karen31's post)

Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #34
Want to feel better

30 minute bike ride

Old 10-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #35

S/C/G: 177/153/138

Height: 5'6"

cals-2380, ex-none. Had a nice weekend just hanging at the house with the family.

Gayle-Nice pics from your bike ride. You are doing well with the exercise minutes.

Marie-So sorry to hear about your dear dog. That is a tough thing to do. I think daily posting is a great idea. Lets go for it.

TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #36

cals-2030,ex-step class at the Y. I am really stoked for eating well this week. I am encouraged by the fact that my clothes are no longer tight but I am not going to be anywhere near happy until I lose 5 pounds!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #37
Want to feel better

30 minute bike ride

Tera ~ you are doing good with the exercise at the "Y"

Marie ~ how are you doing? Here is another Hang in there.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #38
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, I'm doing all right. Getting off the emotional teeter-totter has helped tremendously. I can no longer decide then undecided. It cycled back and forth so often, I'd have had whiplash if I was watching my process. Kody is with his Blizzie and at peace. So I'm doing all right. My other pups are doing well. They're getting attention and they truly hadn't been getting much for a couple months. food wise, I'm in the toilet eating garbage. The custard filled donut was a naughty indulgence this morning. Tomorrow my diet will return to the forefront. The Lose It program will be used and I will log. I can say that I have been exercising regularly through it all. Tuesday's exercise will change now as I will delete the bike riding on the fluid trainer for taking my two huskies out for a walk as well as yoga. Same for Thursdays but I only did the yoga on Thursdays so there will be an addition there. Yesterday the pups had the first normal long walk in about three months. They were ecstatic - their tails wagging like crazy.

Gayle, you are doing great on the bike riding. Exercise is so wonderful for the mental health. I suppose it's great for the physical health but what it does emotionally is amazing.

Tera, you're on. Starting today, I will post here every day. I will try to post my cals and exercise but if I don't, visiting and saying life is good (or bad I suppose) will be my goal. I think I'm going to go for the gold and say through the end of the year. Great job on the exercise and clothes not so tight.

And Tera, I have a funny story for you. first off, let me preface by saying I didn't go crazy calorie wise this weekend. It wasn't horrible but clearly not good. Anyway, I put my work clothes in my craft room the night before because DH works swings and we sleep different hours. So I can't change my mind of what to wear unless I want to wake him up. So this morning, I exercise, then shower and when I get dressed, I tug on my black jeans (Mondays are made for wearing just black). And I mean tug. I zip them up and I say aloud "There's no way I could gain this much over one weekend." So I unzip them and grab the tag to look at the size. I was right. They were my jeans from last spring. My tighter jeans. One size smaller than I am currently. At least I knew I didn't gain a ridiculous amount of weight in 72 hours but I did have the "pleasure" of wearing snug clothes all day. So when I read that your clothes weren't as tight, I did a high five to you because those jeans weren't comfy. Thankfully they weren't horrible or I would have chosen to wake up DH.
Marie
Old 10-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #39

todays cals-2140, ex-body sculpt class at the Y. Still doing about the same even though I am really trying-I still keep messing up the calories! As usual, it could be far worse so I give myself credit for that.

Gayle-Good for you for completing another long bike ride! How is the diabetes management coming along?

Marie-So nice to see you are back to walking the pups. I was wondering about that but now I realize that Kody must not have been well enough. Good for you for squeezing into the smaller size jeans. Now we just need to get to the point where they fit nicely again!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #40
Lifelong Journey Member

Tera, I bet that body sculpt class is doing a lot of good even with the calls mess ups. And without a doubt, we wouldn't be on 3FC if we couldn't do far worse damage to our calorie intake.

I didn't track calories today but I did return here. My BFF stopped by my office with flowers and chocolate. She loves my pups and said that her boys started crying when they heard about Kody. So we went out for lunch and at least we shared the entree. Regardless, nachos isn't healthy. So lunch was dinner and dinner is a sandwich. I walked the pups before work and did the yoga routine. Funny that my shins are a little stiff this evening from the walking. I elliptical, I bike, I yoga but stopping the walking definitely let those muscles deteriorate. Oh and funny story. On Sunday when I dug out my left knee brace for walking (walking irritates it and the other stuff doesn't), I grabbed it without looking at it. I pull it on and it is tight but I put my hikers on. I walk down the hall and it feels like a tourniquet. And it hurts. So I hobble back to my chair and pull it off. I'm think OMG my legs have gotten so fat. I look at the brace after I yank if off and I had grabbed the right one and it was on upside down. It WAS a tourniquet. The left brace fit normally when I dug the correct one out. There are days I'm a bubble head.
Marie
Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #41
Want to feel better

Well, for the first day, I missed my bike ride. It was just one of those days ~ where nothing went the way I hoped it would.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #42
Lifelong Journey Member

Those days happy Gayle. Bet your bike missed you though.

I had a good elliptical workout this morning and as soon as I'm done here, I'm going to log my calories. My choices are way better today and that is a good thing. The ski area I have a season pass got 11" of snow this week. I feel winter is on the horizon and that yoga practice will pay off. At least I hope the yoga has improved my flexibility and balance. It seems like it has.
Marie
Old 10-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #43

cals-1845, ex-long walk with neighbor. It took some effort, but I actually did a decent job with my calories today. I am a bit concerned about the Halloween candy tomorrow, it is calling me from the pantry.

Gayle-Sorry your day went awry. Tomorrow's another day.

Marie-You have a very sweet friend. What a nice gesture. I can't believe there is already so much snow out there. It is still in the seventies here in Atlanta. The trees are just turning, it is quite pretty. I bet the yoga will make a huge difference in your skiing.

Last edited by TERAPET : 10-30-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 AM   #44
Want to feel better

Walked on the treadmill today ~ it was rainy here. I don't do walking very well ~ too much pain in my leg (sciatic) that is why I prefer riding the bike. I don't know what is different about walking on the treadmill than walking on the street/sidewalks. I have to break it up in chunks of 10 minutes or so. I got 2 ten minute chunks done, then unexpected things happend again, and I didn't get the last 10 minutes done. Oh well, part is better than none.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #45
Lifelong Journey Member

I was focused on the calories and then the Halloween candy in my office got me. I think I had 4 snack size candies and misc other stuff. I'd even been right next to my fave Bagel shop and didn't stop. But then the candy... I'm making a chicken breast and baked potato for dinner. At least that's getting back on track. I did yoga and the doggie stroll this morning. My girl pups are loving their walks. I don't think they mess Kody at all.

Tera, I think we'd both be slender if this wasn't a lot of effort. Good job on the walk. I hope the candy didn't win in your battle.

Gayle, good job on the treadmill. My knee doesn't like walking a lot. It likes ellipticalling and biking way better. So I get the frustration of exercising in a mode that doesn't feel good.
Marie
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.