2013 Challenge - The Rest of the Story

You're on Page 25 of 28
Go to
  • Good afternoon,

Hope you guys are hanging in there ok. I am struggling. Since going on some little outings (June and July) I am off track more than on track. Some meals/moments are ok, then others ~ I am just plain out of control. I am doing wrong and I know that I am and I go ahead and do it anyway.

I have got to come up with some kind of strategy for being out and about and having to eat out where I can somehow keep more on track.

I think part of my problem is that eating out was something we never got to do much growing up. And didn't do much all our married life. So, when we did, it was a real treat and what we chose was something that we couldn't get at home. So, I still have that mind set. Just need to learn how to deal with these new different opportunities in my life.

I guess I am a little bit frustrated because it seems like being able to go on these outings should be something to look forward to and to enjoy. But the stress of having to worry about what I eat kind of takes all the enjoyment out of it.

I have got to learn how to work around this.

Thank you for letting me share.
  • cals-1895, body sculpt class at the y. There I am giving myself a star for posting two days in a row. Plus, I stayed under 2000, plus I exercised. Neat.

Gayle-I understand the joy and pain of eating out. That food is designed to be extra tasty-unfortunately that can also mean extra caloric! I try to avoid eating out whenever possible. I do enough harm at home where I control the environment. I also find it next to impossible to just order something lo calorie and sensible. I want the good stuff just like anyone else! However, it is a disaster when I am trying to lose weight. I do not have any good advice to share. When I had a run of very successful weight loss a few years back I basically did not eat hardly any restaurant food. I would just go along and drink diet coke. Boring but it was the only way I could cope.
  • cals-1850, ex-yoga. I have not been to a yoga class in probably a year. The Y changed the time and it is not as convenient for me but I really would like to get back into it again. I really enjoyed myself-especially when I was done-phew, it was a bit challenging.
  • Yay Tera on the counting cals and the posting 3 days in a row! I don't have any tips other than if I'm going to spend $100 a month to go to a weight loss doctor, I'm not going to mess it up. I've been aiming for 1200-1300 cals a day and I'm exercising usually 2X day (but shorter workouts except the swimming which I keep increasing the distance because I'm having a blast).

Gayle, I understand the restaurant/going out thought process. The thing is, you won't be going out for 30 more years if the diabetes wins. And I bet you truly enjoy going out with your DGD more than eating the food that in turn makes you feel guilty that makes you in turn get mad at yourself. It is a nasty cycle that WE ALL have been through so you are not alone in any way. I know you can be on track more than off track. And you certainly don't have to be perfect - no one is and really life is meant to be lived. Perhaps you can save the on track days for home days and the chosen off track days when your out. Maybe if you're choosing when you go off track in advance, then the guilt won't nip at your heels and you'll be able to enjoy the off track days like they should be enjoyed.

But heck, maybe that wouldn't work for you like choosing off track days works for me. I don't know. And because I can't eat out, that aspect is not a problem for me. My problem is going to a conference (like I did last week) and finding enough food that I could actually consume and not get warnings from MyFitnessPal that I'm not eating enough calories. I'm sure I could eat enough empty calories but nutritional ones are nearly impossible because the deadly allergens are in almost everything that isn't prepared by me. So that is frustrating. Monday I was dizzy and nauseous from too few calories because I didn't pack enough protein for the day at a class. That was frustrating too. Now that I'm finally back at work and on my normal schedule/routine - I ate nutritionally sound and had enough cals ~1275 that MFP didn't give me the red warning. Yay for that. Unfortunately returning to my normal routine involved returning to work. I really like not going to my office...
    Marie
  • It is too early to post my calories but I am going to try to stay under 2000 calories. I am holding steady around there and maybe if I can keep that up then I can move on to lowering it in order to actually lose weight. Not just go up and down around the 150 mark. Today DH and I went back up to Red Top Mountain to try the 5.5 looping trail. The hike went well so now we can add that to our list of hikes in the area.

Marie-I guess the Doc price tag would be pretty motivating for me as well although I know one time I was in Weight Watchers for a fair extent of time and did not lose a single pound. It wasn't WW's fault. At the time, WW condoned eating whatever you want in correct proportions. I do not handle that situation well and end up eating too much of the "whatever" that I wanted. More important though, kudos to you for your success. You, my dear, are a winner!
  • cals-1732, ex-step class. I ate waaaay too much at DS birthday party yesterday. Unfortunately, I have some pretty yummy leftovers around here as well. I am not sure if todays cals are done yet. Something in the kitchen is calling me. I will try to ignore it.
  • Hello ladies,

Still here. Behaving some of the time, other times not so much. Afraid to step on the scale. Only a few more days and Maddie will be back in school and I can get back down to serious business and deal with what ever damage I have done. I decided I am not gonna beat myself up ~ and stress about it. There won't be these day trips as often once school starts back up and so I will better be able to control what I eat, be able to drink more water which helps and exercise more regularly.

Hope all is well with you guys.
  • Hello,

I finally stepped on the scale ~ it was no surprise that I had gained. Oh well, I'll just keep on doing the right things as often as I can and hopefully get myself back on track and undo the damage I've done.

DH said he had gained too. We had been going on a lot of outings this summer and weren't careful about where we ate and too often had "treats". I felt better that he had gained too. Maybe going forward, he will be more willing to eat at places where we can make better choices and do less damage. I'm also trying to plan and maybe pack a lunch, or do some homework and find what places have healthier options.

I wanted to try ~ now that school is back in session to go to the "Y" in the mornings. My excuse last year was that I woke up too late in the morning ~ well, too late to participate in the water aerobics class. But I don't have to go to the class, I can do something on my own. I did make it once last week. Then some other stuff came up and I didn't make it back, but now that I have done it once, I feel like it is something that I can continue. I really love the pool/water.

Thinking of you all and hope you are having a nice long weekend.

Take care
  • Hello,

I had a good eating day yesterday and a little bit of exercise. Haven't been able to get back to the "Y" again, but will. Ate pretty good today, until this evening ~ having a headache (either a sinus thing ~ very humid out this afternoon or from sugar withdrawal ~ maybe a little of both) and when my head is aching, I don't have the patience to mess with salads or one of the healthier choices.

I have a lot of errands to run tomorrow and hope my headache is gone by then. It is a rare occasion to escape out of the house with the car and without DH ~ I want to enjoy it ~ LOL.

I just read back over what I had written and had to laugh ~ I wrote that I hope my head is gone by then.

Hope you all are doing well.
  • Hi Gayle! I am impressed with your posting. When I am not posting, it is because I am eating too much. I am guessing you have a bit more time to concentrate on yourself now that the summer is nearly over. Will you be taking up bike riding again?

I have been okay with the exercise but terrible with the eating and the scale shows it. I keep trying new recipes-delicious but not healthy. But soooo good. I was better today though-mostly due to the fact I am too full from the long weekend. I had a smoothie for breakfast, salad for lunch and chicken and steamed veggies for dinner. I only had a bite of leftover brownies and a small serving of leftover peach pie and homemade ice cream. See what I mean about too much baking! I did make it to the Y today for body sculpting.

I hope your achy head recovers quickly and that it stays properly in place
  • Today is the day I get serious. I have a trip home coming up and I am committing myself to losing five pounds so my clothes will fit! It is diet boot camp time. No chips, crackers, cookies, cake, candy or other related high calorie, low nutritious foods until my goal is accomplished.
  • Hello,

Tera ~ I will confess that when I am eating bad ~ that is when I don't post either. I am ashamed and embarassed to write about what I eat then.

I had one day of good (Tuesday). Yesterday I was out and about all day. I took along a meat/cheese roll up and a protein bar. When I was hungry I bought a yogurt and later a couple bananas. I was in and out of stores and looked longingly at the cookies, candy and chips etc, but managed to pass them by. But then at home at supper time, while I was fixing my food, I had some animal crackers that I really didn't need. I didn't blow the whole day at least, but wish I had not gotten into those animal crackers ~ they didn't even taste that great. Oh well ~ today is another day.

Marie ~ hope all is well with you.

Darcy ~ those kids must be keeping you super busy.
  • It is the weekend. This is a very challenging time for me. I have a very bad habit of eating fairly well all week and then eating very poorly on the weekend-to the tune of 2 and 3 pound fluctuations every week. I never lose any weight. I want to go out to eat tonight, bake something delicious tomorrow and eat salty snacks with dip while drinking beer and watching football. On the other hand, I want to lose weight so my clothes will fit. It is one or the other. If I could just persevere for a while, I could go home a bit lighter. This should not be so difficult.

Gayle-You did quite well Tuesday. Perhaps you taught yourself something about animal crackers-you don't need'em. A very valuable lesson. Go Gayle!
  • Sigh..... Yesterday ~ better than some days, not as good as some days. Today is a new day ~ onward.
  • I didn't do so well the last couple days ~ scale creeping up. I've gotta change my ways and stick with it.