3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   2013 Challenge - The Rest of the Story (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/288224-2013-challenge-rest-story.html)

glynne 07-25-2014 09:27 AM

Hang in there Tera. I totally agree. I know what I need to do, but don't always do it. And, even though I don't get it right all the time ~ I hate to think of the mess I'd be in if I threw in the towel and didn't try at all.

Like you said ~ we'll keep on keeping on ~ one day at a time.

Marie 07-25-2014 12:18 PM

Wow, you both came back!!! I'd sort of guessed the thread was done but for the first time since mid-July, I see you both posted. So I will post again.

Tera, you know that bad food makes you crave bad food. Why don't you try to aim for two days of being an :angel: and on day three see if the desire for bad food has gone away or at least diminished. Basically, aim for a small goal because you don't need to accept the the bad habit. I KNOW you can do it.

Gayle, I so agree with you. What a mess I'd be in if I'd thrown in the towel. Keep at it. BTW, I loved San Antonio and the Riverwalk. It's so pretty!

I'm still on track and doing well. No days over 1500 cals and actually only one that made it to 1400. Most are between 1200-1300. Yesterday I didn't make it to 1200 cals and MyFitnessPal scolds you in red warning that you're not eating enough cals. Well if it wasn't 10:00 at night, I'd have had a few more little app... Anyway, I've got most of my foods and meals moved to that app from LoseIt. I like the complete nutrient breakdown. And it has a Facebook-Like feature of posting your status (all private) on meeting calories goals and exercise, etc. My sister has been using it for a 1 1/2 years and so I sent her a MFP friend request and now we see each other's status and can comment and encourage each other. I'm really liking MFP. And my sister, who had lost ~40 pounds in the 18 months was stuck and not logging regularly. She said that me friending her got her jump started again and has lost a couple pounds since July 4th. But the best part that I like about MFP is it syncs between any computer I use to log onto their site, my iPhone and my iPad. That's really helped me to log as I go. Anyway, if either of you decide to start with it, I'd love friending you in their program. BTW, it is like FB status but its own program.

I've been swimming, walking and being diligent in practicing yoga since the summer solstice. And I've actually lost some weight. The best part is I no longer dread putting on my clothes. They're actually getting lose. YAY! Finally. And I figured out that I was taking too much estrogen (post hysterectomy) so I've been cutting that down by chunks. I'm hopeful to be off it all together by 2015 (or sooner). After reading about estrogen imbalance, I'm thinking it played a humongous role in my weight gain. Because there is no way I'd eaten enough to gain like the scale blared. I hadn't given up the fight and I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I was gaining so steadily. Now I'm actually losing so I'm even more convinced the estrogen HRT was doing me in. For the first time in 2.5 years, I have some hope I can get back to a healthy size and weight. But as you both said, giving into the bad would be so much worse when ready to fight 100%. So anything good any of us do just keeps us closer in the game.
Marie

TERAPET 07-27-2014 02:43 PM

Took a 4 mile walk around a lake yesterday by myself and I feel much better both mentally and physically. I try to spend as much time outside as I can. Friday I weeded all morning around my backyard garden and then cooked and cleaned and had a fun dinner party with some neighbors. Actually I did a fair amount of home cooking this weekend-grilled salmon and steamed veggies for dinner last night and omelets, pancakes and fruit for brunch this morning. Tonight though is dinner at the Braves game-that will not be particularly healthy or low cal. I have all next week to be good and make up for it.

Marie-You are doing awesome. I am so glad you posted to let me know all the great things you have going on. I am inspired. Good thing you figured out the estrogen problem. When putting on weight it should at least be from something delicious and fun to eat-not estrogen replacement!

Hi Gayle!

TERAPET 07-31-2014 03:33 PM

Wow, I am so glad I redid my ticker. It looks so much better this way. I pretty much weigh the same old-same old that I have for the last 9 months. I go up and down around 150 a lot. Maybe I will do better now. I would like to anyway. More job drama going on in my house. This time it is DH. Totally unexpected and much more impact then my silly no good job. Waaaah. Anyway, we are trying to roll with the punches and look for the silver lining and all that. It is so awful right now though, I have lost some of my appetite. When I get really, really stressed I actually eat less. Go figure. Well, it won't last long-the loss of appetite I mean. I know DH and I will get used to our new financial circumstances as well-just not so fun.

glynne 08-01-2014 05:02 PM

Oh my Tera ~ did your DH lose his job or did his company close down? That is hard. Thoughts and prayers for you guys. Sorry you are having to under go that stress. Hang in there.

TERAPET 08-02-2014 12:51 PM

Gayle-Thanks for the kind thoughts. Thankfully he has not lost his job. Just very serious and debilitating changes. That is all I can say on the subject. Not trying to be cryptic-but -it is the Internet afterall. Anyway, we will be fine. Just hard to believe and hard to accept and verrrry disappointing.

My appetite is back so obviously I am recovering. :)

glynne 08-02-2014 08:16 PM

Tera ~ again, I am sorry for the stress and difficulties you and your DH are facing. I understand why you are not able to go into more detail. Sending good thoughts, {{{{hugs}}}} and prayers.

Marie 08-02-2014 10:07 PM

Tera, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this latest job woe. I hope there are silver linings and I'm glad your appetite is back but for a backwards reason - that means your stress lessened.

Gayle, I hope all is going well for you.

I'm still on track but I have no intention of being so tomorrow. I'm guessing Gayle is with me on that as we share a birthday tomorrow. So happy birthday to us Gayle!
Marie

TERAPET 08-03-2014 02:33 PM

Birthdays tomorrow-awesome. I hope you both enjoy a fabulous day full of fun, food, family and friends!

I have not been terribly focused on what I am eating yet. Just trying to get back on track emotionally, get my worry response under control and maybe even find the right corrective action to get out of this negative rut I have found myself in. So far,I have been spending lots of time either outdoors-mostly hiking, walking the neighborhood or garden chores, in the kitchen cooking and reading non fiction-I love an interesting fact! However, I know there is more to be done-the thing I dislike so very, very much and keep having to do over and over. I am not even going to print it here. But I am preparing myself mentally for it. One step at a time.

glynne 08-03-2014 04:11 PM

Hello Tera and Marie,

And Happy Birthday Marie. Like you, I am enjoying today and not worrying about the food. Not going wild, but enjoying without guilt. Have kind of had a few treats ~ birthday related ~ this week. Tuesday DH had a birthday coupon for BOGO Blizzards at Dairy Queen. Shared 3 ways ~ that wasn't too bad. Then Friday, he had a BOGO coupon for Concrete mixers (kind of like a Blizzard) at Culvers. Again we split the two ~ between the 3 of us.

So sorry Tera for the stresses in your life right now. Hang in there :hug:

Marie 08-04-2014 02:24 PM

Uggghhh it is Monday again. Gayle, I hope your birthday was grand. I enjoyed mine regardless that wildfires are burning too much around me. So not to worry about calories, we hiked with the pups, I used the elliptical and then swam a 1/2 mile. And when the day was done, I was at 1657 cals. Certainly the highest consumption since I started with the weight loss doctor. But the net was better than other days. The joy of over-exercising - it negates the indulgence. I put my red velvet cake recipe in MyFitnessPal and it was a high 470 cals with 4 grams of protein, 59 grams of carbs and a zillion grams of fat. One piece was my ration from the whole thing. Family and I ate all but two pieces and DH had one for breakfast this morning and will have the last tonight. Definitely on track!

Tera, I wish for you a destressed environment and calm thoughts as you get everything back in control.
Marie

TERAPET 08-05-2014 08:01 PM

Hello Ladies-love your celebratory birthday treats. Yummmm. Now back to business! :)

I have not had any celebrations but still indulged in some treats. Time for me to get back to business also. Perhaps I can make myself count some calories tomorrow. I have managed to get some exercise in. Today was body sculpting class at the Y. I might try the yoga class tomorrow. I have been avoiding it because it is rather late in the day but I am thinking some yoga might be good for what ails me.

Marie-sorry to hear about the wildfires. R those a given every year where you live? I hope your asthma symptoms stay away!

Gayle-What is going on with your bike riding these days? Is it too warm there now?

Thank you both for the kind thoughts about my worries. I am fine. I have many, many things to be grateful for and just need to deal with the other stuff. I really, really need to work on acceptance and not reacting so openly! You two are wonderful though for putting up with my whining. I will try not to whine anymore. The weather here is great by the way and I am thoroughly enjoying a perfect evening on my screened porch watching the sun go done behind the trees and writing this note to you. Now that sounds a better perspective, right?

Marie 08-06-2014 11:12 AM

Tera, whining is always allowed. :) The screened porch and relaxing on a beautiful evening is a great perspective. Count those calories today.

Wildfires are an annual occurrence for the west. Part of desert in the mountain. That said, we've never had one even remotely this close to us. And it is a big fire. Yesterday morning it was at 127 square miles. When you're only about 20 miles (from where it started but I don't know how much this direction it has come but I do know that it is spreading this way) and there's only mountains and trees between, it doesn't give the warm fuzzies. DH and I have an evac plan if necessary but hope we'll never have to put it in action. On the asthma side, I can feel it but as soon as the air quality went into the yellow zone, I upped the Advair dose. Basically it's still under really good control.

So yesterday was my monthly check in with my dr. I've lost 12 pounds so far (3 months). Since I lost only 2 in month 1, the time since cutting the estrogen to 1/3 what I was taking gives me hope that maybe I can get this back under control. I've been swimming, yoga, hiking with the pups and I've done the elliptical twice this week. Alas I'm going to a conference in a couple hours. The hotel is near a river with an amazing bike path. My bike is already on the car.

Gayle, hope you're having a great day!
Marie

TERAPET 08-09-2014 08:23 AM

Goodness Gracious Marie-twelve pounds-Wow. Fantastique! I am so happy for you. Do you have any weight loss tips to share? Do you think your doctor was the main impetus? That is pretty awful about the wildfires-my praises to the brave people who fight them. Here is hoping and wishing a fortuitous climate event heads your way soon.

My frame of mind continues to mend. I am especially buoyed by DD's successful transition to her new job this year. I am so grateful to witness her joy and happiness and leave behind last years pain and struggles. Still not doing much for myself in the weight loss department except coming here to remind myself that there was a time.... Hopefully again soon.

TERAPET 08-11-2014 07:26 PM

cals-1570, ex-body sculpt at the Y. I ate a lot of food this weekend. Three different social engagements all revolving around dinner. We even got to try some new dishes-a watermelon, cucumber, feta salad and a blueberry/blackberry gallette. I am still eating leftovers but luckily in small portions. I am hoping this week to get back on track.