3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

2013 Challenge - The Rest of the Story

Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #181
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 7"

Hi all, another good day calorie wise. I also ellipticalled (without arms) this morning so it was a healthy day. I'm really trying to choose healthy foods, not just lower calories. I'm finally trying. Of course I'll screw it up when we go to Cancun.

I hope all is well with both of you.
Marie
Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #182
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 4' 11 1/2"

Good evening,

Sorry I haven't posted much lately. I continue to work on this, but got busy with some other stuff and so didn't really have anything to tell.

We have had several days of dreary drippy weather, so I fought with myself to do my walking. It would have had to be the treadmill which I don't particularly enjoy, so I ended up doing no exercise.

Finally the sun came out today, and I went out in the driveway with my walker and started ~ I got only 10 minutes done, then my son showed up and then I never got back to it.

I have been eating pretty good and the weight is creeping down little by little. So, I am hanging in there ok.

Marie ~ way to go making healthier food choices.

Tera ~ hope you have more good days to add to your string.

Take care ~ Gayle

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. (From Karen31's post)

glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #183
Lifelong Journey Member

Gayle, yay on the weight coming down slowly. That is AWESOME. On the rainy days, do you think you could do 2 10 minute sessions so you don't get too bored?

Tera,

Another good day cal wise. I rode my bike this morning. And the fruit/vege choice is still going. Although I'm already sick of salads. I'm allergic to a bunch of veges so my choices are limited. I wish fruit had less calories because I'm only allergic to a few of those. It's almost tempting to join Weight Watchers (free through work/insurance) just so I could have fruit to my hearts content. But alas, I gained weight when I tried it and I never went over the base points. I really love fruit!!!!
Marie
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #184
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, I'm still on track. I came up with a goal earlier this week. One that the experts say should always happen. I'm trying to get 5-7 vege/fruit servings per day. Since I started on Tuesday, I've met the goal. And it isn't easy. I'm a bread, cake, cookie, candy, mocha girl. I bought loads of vege/fruits from Costco yesterday. They had blackberries on special and they are yummy. I wish that I could crave the healthy foods like I do the naughty ones. The strawberries are tasty too. So I was trying to figure out what a "serving" was and found some helpful info on the Google check. BUT the bad news is that the experts are saying that 9 servings is now the recommended daily amount. Ha! I don't think I'll get there often.

Tera and Gayle. hope you both are doing well.
Marie
Old 02-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #185
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Tera and Gayle, I must have really bad timing. I'm finally back on track and I lose my two pals. Come back!

I've been doing good on the diet and exercise. I've been making veges/fruits a goal and it is not easy to get 5-9 servings in a day. For a week I've made a side salad for my work lunches and that has helped. I also bought out the fruits at Costco. OK that's an exaggeration but I did buy lots of veges and fruits.
Marie
Old 02-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #186
Want to feel better

Hi Marie and Tera,

You haven't lost us Marie. Tera is probably busy. I read, but don't always get around to posting. Sorry ~ that is not very supportive to you.

I guess I haven't posted ~ because of stuff going on at home/with family, I have been neglecting the things I should be doing for myself, so don't have anything to tell about dieting and exercising. The eating has been still sort of ok. The exercise really needs work. It is funny ~ sometimes the exercise part is what I struggle with the most, then other times, I do pretty good with that and the eating not so good.

It has been cold and dreary day after day after day, so I haven't been wanting to go out and walk ~ my driveway circuits ~ LOL, or ride the bike. It is probably going to jump right from the 30's to the hot humid 90's, then that will be another reason I won't want to go outside. I know, I should stop making excuses and get on that treadmill

I'm sorry ~ I'll try to do better for you.

Take care

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. (From Karen31's post)

Last edited by glynne : 02-11-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #187

S/C/G: 177/149/138

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies! Sorry I have been AWOL. No reason except sometimes the days just slip away! I have not been particularly good or bad-just in a holding pattern. These snowdays are a bit of a challenge though. We had pizza at work for the brave ones that ventured in (actually the ice did not show up today-it was a maybe) and then my neighbor called me over for "Snow Day" coffee and cake. I only had one small slice of pizza, a bit more of the yummy cake. Anyway-as usual- I need to get back on track.

Marie-Good for you for setting the fruit and veggie goal. I personally love them. I like fruit, nuts and plain greek yogurt for breakfast, vegetable soup or salad for lunch and fruit for midmorning or midafternoon snacks-sometimes with pnut butter or cheese. I eat them so often now, I usually crave them if I go without. Todays five were: lettuce, celery, onion at lunch in my chicken salad and strawberry and spinach salad at dinner. If you want you can blend a bunch in the morning in a smoothie. The citrus fruit is really good right now. Try banana, strawberries, an orange or a grapefruit and spinach with crushed ice. There are four right there. I will be very jealous of the absolutely fabulous berries you will have available this summer. I want to hear more about your foray into this way of eating.

Gayle-Sounds like you are doing pretty okay. Yea for you! I get it about the weather messing with your exercise plans. Hang in there though. Some is much, much better than none.

TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #188
Lifelong Journey Member

Gayle, the treadmill is your friend... it has handgrips for stability, ability to be as slow or fast as you want and mine has a ledge for a book, iPad, Kindle, etc. I've been using mine a lot more (much to the chagrin of my pups that don't get why I'd rather walk on the treadmill instead out in the wintry weather.

Tera, SPINACH??? Eeks, I'd puke. Popeye I am not. The rest of the smoothie sounds good. I actually looked at buying a juicer because I'm inclined to drink the veges rather than eat them but I'm trying to drink more water too so I'm eating the veges. This morning I got a cool littel email from LoseIt that said I got some vege badge of honor for eating some number of days with the proper veges. I'm guessing it was a week badge since I've only been doing this a week. Today I made a chef salad (loads of veges and chicken breast and I left off the croutons - yay me) for lunch. I had some pineapple with breakfast but the salad will push me over the number for today.

I had a decent elliptical workout today. It's the last one this week - I was going to do it tomorrow but DH and I are going back to Tahoe skiing on Saturday and I thought it would be a better idea to bike tomorrow to give my quads a little more time to recover. Friday will be a walk on the treadmill (sorry pups - ok now I'm embarrassed - maybe we'll walk outside...). Back to work...
Marie
Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #189

I am still in bad need of a lifestyle change. It is just so difficult for me to be good. Today I had an Oreo sample at the store and it was delicious. I never allow myself to buy Oreos but I would really like to. My list of no-no's is so very long and I find it very difficult to always say no when faced with them. In fact, lately I say yes more than no and I am definitely paying for it weight wise. However, I am not happy with the body changes. Plus I know this is not good for my health either. I wish moderation was the answer but I guess what I consider moderate is still too many calories.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #190
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/110/118

Height: 5'1"

Terapet, It is a uphill struggle, that is the truth! Everyday when I wake up I need to remind myself that I am not the calorie burning 20 year old I used to be. I lived off of coffee, cigarettes and little else in my college years. I danced and ran and stayed under 105 lbs with out a second thought. Now I am at the age where I celebrate a bowel mov't. How life has changed!
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #191

How life has changed indeed! Although, I was not one to stay thin without a second thought, I was able to maintain a relatively low weight up to about the age of 40-then I really packed it on. Fortunately, I took off a some of it but it is beginning to creep back up again. I must stop the creep! That sounds so silly. I am off to the Y shortly. My goal this week is to make my Y class four days in a row. I am not working late or staying home due to snow this week--four times it will be.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #192
Darcy

S/C/G: 170.6/157.0/150

Hey there...it's long-lost me. I made an appearance in September and the vanished....I obviously wasn't in a committed mode and got overwhelmed with everyday life and just pounded through each day to accomplish work and basics. Still with a lack of sleep, etc.... but I'm sorry I dropped in and then dropped right out again. However, I'm back and would like to be back with you as well!

I was overdue for every doctor/mammo/etc. appointment and after Christmas I decided to stop burying my head in the sand and start catching up. So I made appointments with all. Mammo is done, and was negative. Gyn is coming up. Rheumatologist (for RA) needs to be rescheduled because the scheduling person booked me with the wrong doctor of the same name. LOL And I did blood work and saw my internist at the end of January. He said..."According to your chart it's been a little over a year (was supposed to be 4-6 months hahaha) but when I look at you it doesn't seem that long. Does it to you?" I answered "Only because of the guilt! " Anyway, fasting blood sugar and A1c were up a bit more than usual (sending me into diabetic territory), blood pressure was good, LDL was up a little and HDL was down by half, so not sure what happened there....still not "bad" except if considered a diabetic. UGH. Oh yeah, TSH was up, too, but he wants to track it one more time and see if it's consistent before he considers treating it. Weight was up a few pounds (luckily I had lost 3 before I saw him <G>). We finally agreed to a statin, and he offered something for blood sugar but said he really wanted me to try losing weight first on my own, because in his words, "That's much more valuable than any medication I could give you." So, I have until April 1st to show him whether I can do this.

I think I'm finally in a better mindset in terms of figuring out a plan. I still have no extra "time" to work with to really concentrate on the details, but instead of the "all or nothing" mentality of this overwhelming me before, I'm starting in with calorie counting, getting a handle on that, and then will tweak it as I get more into it. Something is better than nothing. :-) So, I started 10 days ago or so on 1200 calories a day for now since my life is so sedentary with work...no loss in the 1st week, but 3 lbs in the last few days. Yay! I also started walking again...2 miles...and figure I will do so on the days that allow me to. Just hoping there are more that allow than not! DH is also putting together a mini "gym" in our garage and found a used elliptical, so I'm hoping to try that out soon too.

Yesterday my son had drum corps rehearsal out of town, and I took advantage of some of that time to go for a 2.5 mile walk, and then another 3/4 mile round trip to get lunch (which was a Subway salad). I really didn't plan well enough to bring healthy snacks. I was starving most of the day! Lesson learned. But I avoided the campus vending machine when I didn't see anything healthy enough to be worth the calories, so that's progress. I was happy being in that "zone" of conscious eating." And MFP has been pretty easy to use, and I linked it with RunKeeper (for my walks) so I think the "cool" factor of technology is making this more fun too.

Anyway, sorry for the absence and I hope I can come back and join you. I'm ready this time! :-)

Mom2TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #193
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, Darcy and Lucinda, it is great to see you again. Darcy, it seems like you had the medical wake-up jingle. I know what that is like, I had the piles of labs done too. My cholesterol was "a little high" according to the dr. letter. That's when I started the vege goals. And Lucinda, totally at the 50s+ celebrations. I am so in that group now. Tera, moderation is so hard when the calorie limits as those limits are dropping yearly.

DH and I went to Tahoe skiing again this weekend. Some beautiful snow and gorgeous sunshine. Truth be told, I can tell the weight gain is causing problems. The quad workout is always big in skiing but the added weight is making my stamina less. I also know that it's causing problems biking - my butt hurts biking ~20 miles whereas a year ago, it would take a 30 mile run to make my butt hurt.

On the plus side, I bought fruits and veges when we arrived in Reno and am still making my 5+ fruit/vege goals. And the best part, (Lucinda this one is for you) is the daily celebration in the girl's room.
Marie
Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #194
Want to feel better

Hello all,

Hanging in there here ~ kind of holding my own with the weight. Need to get back on track with the exercise. Sorry for not posting every day ~ some days ~ nothing to tell.

Marie ~ glad you got to enjoy the skiing. Way to go on the fruits and vegetables goal.

Tera ~ keep up the good work with the goal for the "Y"

Darcy ~ glad to see you back.

Lucinda ~ welcome

Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #195

todays cals-2200, ex-body sculpt at the Y. That makes two days in a row at the Y-I am half way to goal-yes! (The secret is simple goals.) I had my calories planned for the day but made the mistake of making myself popcorn for a snack and then way overeating it. No more popcorn snacks for awhile. I also having a slight girl scout cookie thing goin here but thankfully I did not buy too many of those. Still moving along with my baby steps towards getting back on track.

Marie-I hear you on the aggravations from those extra pounds. What do you say we get rid of 'em?! You are doing great with the healthier eating. How do you like to prepare your fruits and veggies? I had a fruit smoothie for breakfast and vegetable soup for lunch.

Gayle-I miss hearing about the bike rides. Hopefully you will feel up to it again soon.

Darcy-Woohee-you got yourself thoroughly checked out! Sounds like your Doc gave you some good sound advice. Congrats on the three pound loss-you are on your way.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.